Anyone want to skate tonight??

Old
02-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Winnipeg doesn't really have sprawling distant exurban suburbs in the way that a U.S. city would have, if that's what you mean. It's all one lump, with the city itself comprising around 90% of the "metropolitan area" population, which in any event is only about 750,000 people in total. I'd guess that a typical Winnipegger would be within at most 25-30 minutes drive (non-rush hour) of 90% of the other people in the city. So if you said, let's go skating, it would indeed be feasible for many of the people on this board to show up 45 minutes later, wherever you were in the city. I'm in Toronto, where such invitations wouldn't make much sense, and I certainly miss this aspect of life in Winnipeg.
The city itself is now over 700K, and the metropolitan area is now over 780K. Winnipeg is now Canada's 7th largest metropolitan area and growing. It may not be 10 bazillion people kind of big, but it's a great city with a great future. Friggen awesome!

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
I've got some less than quality skating skills, but I'd be willing to go out next time...just need a little more advance notice...at worst case I'll Antroslug it around the ice.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
We had a pretty good time so we should definitely plan a HF skate soon!

02-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
I've got some less than quality skating skills, but I'd be willing to go out next time...just need a little more advance notice...at worst case I'll Antroslug it around the ice.
I was Tanner Glass'ing it up with all my terrible shots. Don't worry man haha.

02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
I was Tanner Glass'ing it up with all my terrible shots. Don't worry man haha.
idk... we did score that one really nice goal. You know, when the other team all went to talk to their friends?

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Hammer Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
idk... we did score that one really nice goal. You know, when the other team all went to talk to their friends?
I have a knack for hitting posts when it isn't necessary.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Mooche

vCash: 500
River Heights is always a fun rink to play at.

Mooche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:21 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
so how many people ended up coming out?

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
so how many people ended up coming out?
Me and HS

To be fair we didn't give any notice and it was a Saturday night. Next time we will give a day or two notice and do it on a weeknight.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:26 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
The city itself is now over 700K, and the metropolitan area is now over 780K. Winnipeg is now Canada's 7th largest metropolitan area and growing. It may not be 10 bazillion people kind of big, but it's a great city with a great future. Friggen awesome!
Barely.

Manitoba (5.2 per cent) was the only western province with a population increase below the national average.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Just barely on topic...

This year I asked for a pair of skates for Christmas, and since I didn't really ask for anything else, was given them.

The local neighbourhood here in Edmonton built an outdoor rink just this year, so I've gone out sating a couple times - the first time I've been on skates for at least a decade.

DAMMIT! - it's been fun. There's nothing like being on skates. It almost makes me want to go to the Oilers board to see if people are gathering to go play some shinny - if not for the fact I'm a born and bred Pegger and I hate the Oilers.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:43 PM
WPGNYRFan

Do they allow chairs on the ice? Nah, I'm not quite that bad at skating, except for the part where I haven't actually learned how to stop quite yet. I'd be interested in this, I don't have skates or a helmet at the moment, but I'd probably pick them up if this is something we'd do every now and then.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Hammer Slammer

It's something I'd like to do more often. Outdoors or rent some ice and just have fun. Doesn't matter if you can or can't skate. Would be cool to eventually start up an HF beer league team.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
It's something I'd like to do more often. Outdoors or rent some ice and just have fun. Doesn't matter if you can or can't skate. Would be cool to eventually start up an HF beer league team.
The Corsi's?

QUALComps?

Old
02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Hammer Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
The Corsi's?

QUALComps?
The RelCorsi QUALComps.

"In ur zone, skewin' ur stats"

Old
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Beazley
In Lozenge We Trust

vCash: 500
I started skating again this year for the first time in 15 years, give or take. I've really missed it and with the Jets back, there was a strong inner calling to get back out there. At 39 years old, I am so out of shape... Cardio is horrible. My goal is to drop some weight over the summer and really get at it again next year with the goal of eventually playing as a scrub on some beer league team. For the time being, I forgot how much skates can hurt your feet when you aren't used to them.

Anyhoo... I hit an outdoor rink after work today for a quick skate and the days are numbered now I guess... The blue and red lines were partially melted and the ice had recessed from the boards an inch or more.

Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beazley View Post
I started skating again this year for the first time in 15 years, give or take. I've really missed it and with the Jets back, there was a strong inner calling to get back out there. At 39 years old, I am so out of shape... Cardio is horrible. My goal is to drop some weight over the summer and really get at it again next year with the goal of eventually playing as a scrub on some beer league team. For the time being, I forgot how much skates can hurt your feet when you aren't used to them.

Anyhoo... I hit an outdoor rink after work today for a quick skate and the days are numbered now I guess... The blue and red lines were partially melted and the ice had recessed from the boards an inch or more.
I hear ya, almost the same story for me; 18 years for me (38 yrs old now) Jets return drove me to get skates again. I put on too much weight this year, though partially not my fault (car accident and knee scope).

I was out @ Bronx this afternoon, it was bad along the boards. Gotta get my cardio back as well, figure soccer this summer might do it. Was hesitant to play anything with my trick knee, but now that it is fixed I trust it more. Seems to be holding up on the ice. Been out about 15 times this winter, hope to squeeze a hard last push on the ice in the evenings until they shut it down.

My brother is hounding me to play beer league in the fall, so I gotta drop the weight and get back to normal.
HF beer league would be awesome...would we be named the JERTS?

There is a team down in the states playing beer league that are named the "Peter North Stars" and Pete sponsors them...
Not going into details on that one, but the on ice jokes would be endless.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote