HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 Draft Draft Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Not nearly as much IMO. In order to affect the percentage system you have to be one of the top 2 scorers, which European players have been fairly often, but have they really had much of an impact on the percentage score? The ranking system can be affected by a large number of players. Let's look at the #10 North American the past two seasons and see what the impact of both the percentage and ranking system are without Europeans...

Rank Without Europeans: Martin St. Louis - 10th in scoring
Rank With Europeans: Martin St. Louis - 18th in scoring

Percentage Without Europeans: 79.6%
Percentage With Europeans: 76.3%

Rank Without Europeans: xxx - 10th in scoring
Rank With Europeans: xxx - 15th in scoring

Percentage Without Europeans: 73.7%
Percentage With Europeans: 74.5%

It looks to me like the ranking system shows a much bigger difference than the percentage system.
And it's an open question whether removing Americans is fair in a comparison like this too. Americans really weren't making any impact on the scoring race until the 1980s. I mean, defenseman Reed Larson seems to have been the highest scoring American of all-time until Joe Mullen and Phil Housley passed him.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:18 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Keeping up with the defensive theme (With a tinge of offense) I'm building with my 3rd line the Baltimore Blades are pleased to mark the halfway mark of the 2013 ATD and pick with Pick #400 Right Winger Dirk Graham.

The 1991 Selke Trophy winner Graham was also a decent short handed goal scorer with 5 top finishes for a season. His 35 career short handed goals rank him 9th all time which is pretty good especially when you consider guys like Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are in the top 10.

Next has been pmed.

02-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Nalyd Psycho

No! Not Rusty!

Old
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Keeping up with the defensive theme (With a tinge of offense) I'm building with my 3rd line the Baltimore Blades are pleased to mark the halfway mark of the 2013 ATD and pick with Pick #400 Right Winger Dirk Graham.

The 1991 Selke Trophy winner Graham was also a decent short handed goal scorer with 5 top finishes for a season. His 35 career short handed goals rank him 9th all time which is pretty good especially when you consider guys like Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are in the top 10.

Next has been pmed.
I think this is true, but would like someone to confirm...Is Graham both the first team captain and individual trophy winner of African descent in the NHL? I know it doesn't make him any better in the ATD, but that's a historically noteworthy accomplishment.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
overpass

Quote:
I think this is true, but would like someone to confirm...Is Graham both the first team captain and individual trophy winner of African descent in the NHL? I know it doesn't make him any better in the ATD, but that's a historically noteworthy accomplishment.
Grant Fuhr won the Vezina in 88 and was probably the first black player to win an individual award.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Grant Fuhr won the Vezina in 88 and was probably the first black player to win an individual award.
Ha, can't believe I didn't think of that!

Old
02-24-2013, 03:35 PM
BraveCanadian

Going with an innovator who will get the most out of our players:

Coach, Fred Shero

Old
02-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Not nearly as much IMO. In order to affect the percentage system you have to be one of the top 2 scorers, which European players have been fairly often, but have they really had much of an impact on the percentage score? The ranking system can be affected by a large number of players. Let's look at the #10 North American the past two seasons and see what the impact of both the percentage and ranking system are without Europeans...

Rank Without Europeans: Martin St. Louis - 10th in scoring
Rank With Europeans: Martin St. Louis - 18th in scoring

Percentage Without Europeans: 79.6%
Percentage With Europeans: 76.3%

Rank Without Europeans: xxx - 10th in scoring
Rank With Europeans: xxx - 15th in scoring

Percentage Without Europeans: 73.7%
Percentage With Europeans: 74.5%

It looks to me like the ranking system shows a much bigger difference than the percentage system.
This is about the best and most succinct reasoning I have seen in favor of the percentage based system. I hope everyone reads this, because you have almost perfectly distilled the essence of why many of us favor a percentage-based system for evaluating offensive performance.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Dreakmur

Well, after some back and forth, we've decided to go with a man who really needs a good profile, which we can hopefully put together.

I believe he is a top-5 coach - along with Bowman, Blake, Patrick, and Arbour. He's just a scary guy to select. Hoepfully, we can make him a little less scary...

Anatoli Tarasov, coach

Old
02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm not sure I'm a fan of Staal this early. If he was a winger, he'd be a fine pick but he's a center, where there is much more depth. He basically has one great season and then a bunch of good, but nothing special seasons. Here are his Vs2:

94, 61, 77, 64, 77, 72

He's been great when his teams are in the playoffs, but that's only been two seasons for 43 games. He has good size, but isn't overly physical, and doesn't stand out as being great defensively. I never realized he went this early the past two drafts. Looks like he's slotted on the 3rd line with Owen Nolan, basically forming another scoring line with size it looks like because there isn't enough defense between them to call it a two-way 3rd line. He scores shorthanded goals, but you'd be nuts to use him on a penalty kill at this level. Over 1/3 of his goals come from the PP, and right now he's the 3rd line center. jkrx could place him at LW on the second PP unit in place of Tikkanen on that line so salvage some of that PP production.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I'm here, all, no need for a PM. Will pick shortly.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I know I said it in the trading thread, but if any of you guys don't know who to pick, I'd offer you a 3-to-1 deal to trade up from 412.

Cheers!

Old
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Fleming Mackell, C/LW

Old
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Fleming Mackell, C/LW
If you want any offense out of him, use him at C, but he's a great penalty killer and responsible defensive player either way

Old
02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If you want any offense out of him, use him at C, but he's a great penalty killer and responsible defensive player either way
I intend to use him at C. I'm hoping I can get some offense out of him and Finnigan + whomever else I pick up to make up for perhaps sub-par offensive talent in my top 6.

Also, Fleming and I share a birthday, though he is 62 years older

Old
02-24-2013, 06:25 PM
ck26
#freeRabbit

vCash: 133
The Dallas Black Hawks are proud to be adding another two-way forward with Quebec ties, some top-10 scoring finishes and a sharp, 19th century haircut … from Montreal … F Blair Russel

Old
02-24-2013, 06:43 PM
BubbaBoot

Just finished a Konstantinov bio, http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=100

Will pick in a few.....

Old
02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
BubbaBoot

Had to fill my LW slot.....it may be a tad late but there were a few promising players left. Had about 2 or 3 from each era that looked good, including a guy who played on Neely's line. All have positive aspects I llike.

But I'm going old school, picking my first pre-war player. Just recently discovered him and feel he has the goods to complete the 1st line. A guy listed as 5' 11" / 165 (which translates to about 6' 2" / 200 nowadays?), speed demon, a lethal scorer, an ironman and a Hall of Famer.

The Boston Mules pick Rusty Crawford LW/CTR

nik jr has been PMed.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I intend to use him at C. I'm hoping I can get some offense out of him and Finnigan + whomever else I pick up to make up for perhaps sub-par offensive talent in my top 6.

Also, Fleming and I share a birthday, though he is 62 years older
I was just reading up on Mackell in the Toronto Star. Red Burnett had a piece in March of 1958 about Mackell's loafing on left wing, which included this quote from Milt Schmidt:

"I remembered that Mackell thrives on responsibility. He likes to feel important. He'd been at his best when killing penalties or taking an important faceoff, but on a regular chore would dog it. I gambled that making him set up plays, do the forechecking, and call the shots from centre would snap him out of his slump.

"The results have been amazing. Not only has Mackell woke up but McKenney is a better winger than a centre."

So yeah, good call to play him in the middle.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Had to fill my LW slot.....it may be a tad late but there were a few promising players left. Had about 2 or 3 from each era that looked good, including a guy who played on Neely's line. All have positive aspects I llike.

But I'm going old school, picking my first pre-war player. Just recently discovered him and feel he has the goods to complete the 1st line. A guy listed as 5' 11" / 165 (which translates to about 6' 2" / 200 nowadays?), speed demon, a lethal scorer, an ironman and a Hall of Famer.

The Boston Mules pick Rusty Crawford LW/CTR

nik jr has been PMed.
Crawford was picked earlier today.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
crawford was picked earlier today.
aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
BubbaBoot

All right, so I'll go with my 2nd pick:

Same size as Crawford, a 4 time PCHA all-star and won a PCHA Championship and, (I didn't know this), scored the first ever goal for the Boston Bruins, (karma maybe?)

The Boston Mules regroup, (for the 2nd time in this draft) and select Smokey Harris LW.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:

Same size as Crawford, a 4 time PCHA all-star and won a PCHA Championship and, (I didn't know this), scored the first ever goal for the Boston Bruins, (karma maybe?)

The Boston Mules regroup, (for the 2nd time in this draft) and select Smokey Harris LW.

He should have been your first choice. Excellent pick.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
He should have been your first choice. Excellent pick.
Depends on what he's looking for. Rusty Crawford has a better defensive reputation and more of a rep as a tough guy (though Harris definitely wasn't soft). Harris is probably better offensively.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
nik jr

Quote:

i was going to pick him.

i'll pick F don marcotte. similar to don marshall (even their names), but grittier.

Closed Thread