HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Thread - March 2013

Old
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Think about it... If you're a rebuilding team, why are you worried about signing FA's? It doesn't make sense.

However, please provide the link that says Burke was rebuilding but couldn't say so because he was worried free agents wouldn't sign here and we can discuss it. Thanks in advance.
Signing FA's is important in the building process... ASK Boston, Minnie, Philly and NYR they all say hi

there isn't a link... You have to use logic to figure it out

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
the best part for me is that they don't understand that when he took over his top line was Poni - Stajen - Pov, top D was Kaberle - Kubina and had Toskala in net...

He wasn't afraid of making big deals that brought in good quality NHL players.

He drafted well.

in 3.5 years he turned the team around into a young PO team with plenty of potential.

JFJ drafted a few good prospects for us BUT Burke was the one who evaluated the good from the bad and signed who he felt was good. It's easier to swing for the fences on draft day... Then to have to follow their careers and sign them to a pro contract.
Burke also brought in a lot of FA's from college.

Most hockey pundits thought it would take 7yrs to rebuild the team. In 4years We have a potential playoff team and a pretty full cupboard of young talent and extra talent at the NHL level that we will be able to move for more assets.

I would say that is a pretty good job.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:06 PM
achtungbaby

7 years to rebuild? Yup, sounds like a great time to trade two first rounders and a second to boot. What could go wrong there?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Burke also brought in a lot of FA's from college.

Most hockey pundits thought it would take 7yrs to rebuild the team. In 4years We have a potential playoff team and a pretty full cupboard of young talent and extra talent at the NHL level that we will be able to move for more assets.

I would say that is a pretty good job.
Same here.

Gustavsson and Bozak were highly sought after FA's that Burke was able to bring in.

Monster didn't pan out as planned BUT that has nothing to do with how many teams were after him and Burke convinced him to sign.

Bozak is different, he has worked out well.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Think about it... If you're a rebuilding team, why are you worried about signing FA's? It doesn't make sense.

However, please provide the link that says Burke was rebuilding but couldn't say so because he was worried free agents wouldn't sign here and we can discuss it. Thanks in advance.
I believe he said it was a renovation because fans in this city wouldn't stand for a rebuild.

BUt he had to have known from when Nonis was interviewed before that Ownership, didn't want a "rebuild".

CAll it a renovation, and it's all good. That's MLSE for ya.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
7 years to rebuild? Yup, sounds like a great time to trade two first rounders and a second to boot. What could go wrong there?
We still got Phil Kessel from that!

look at his other deals too

Kaberle - Colborne + 1st + 2nd

Beauchemin - Lupul + Gardiner

Scrubs - Phanuef + Ashton

Lebda - Franson + Lombardi

The man deserves credit and it will be his team for the next few years... Lets see how they do!

Old
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Ya except BUrke wasn't doing a full rebuild.

He wasn't doing a EDM style crap the bed long enough until you get some good picks.

We are ahead of the Oilers right now. IN way less time than it's taken them, and they started with 3 1st round picks in 2007. #6, 15, 21.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Winreims

Quote:

The man deserves credit and it will be his team for the next few years... Lets see how they do!
Burke most certainly does deserve credit. But it's like some sort of sin around here to give credit to former GM's ..

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
silentprotector

he did draft Kadri when most of the people wanted MPS...his worst decision was not to fire Wilson earlier..that guy caused some irrepairable damage ****

silentprotector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentprotector View Post
he did draft Kadri when most of the people wanted MPS...his worst decision was not to fire Wilson earlier..that guy caused some irrepairable damage ****
Wilson was horrible BUT had he fired him sooner we wouldn't have Carlyle today...

Old
02-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Superstar

Quote:

You missed one: Schenn for JVR.

And no doubt Kessel has proven to be better than the other 3, and still only 25 years old.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Superstar

Quote:

He wasn't doing a EDM style crap the bed long enough until you get some good picks.

We are ahead of the Oilers right now. IN way less time than it's taken them, and they started with 3 1st round picks in 2007. #6, 15, 21.
We are ahead of the Oilers indeed. And when Edmonton becomes decent, I wonder what the Oilers will do when RNH, Eberle, Hall and Yakupov are out of their entry level contracts and demanding big dollars.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:57 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
We are ahead of the Oilers indeed. And when Edmonton becomes decent, I wonder what the Oilers will do when RNH, Eberle, Hall and Yakupov are out of their entry level contracts and demanding big dollars.
Nice problem to have and you could add Schultz to that list. 5 big earners on the team could be difficult to handle but the cap will go up in a few years so I think they will make it work.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:

Less time than the Oilers have taken? They went to Cup finals in 2006, when's the last time the Leafs made the playoffs? 2004? Sorry to interrupt this little circle jerk going down here but if finishing a little ahead of the worst team in the NHL year after year is what makes you feel better about your team, than you have incredibly low standards.

Worrying about having enough cap room to re-sign your key players, something that the Canucks, Flyers, Sharks, and Penguins seem perfectly capable of doing, is a much better problem to have then not having enough of them to sign in the first place.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:09 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Khabi, and others will be off the books by then. Two of the 4 you've mentioned have already re-signed with the club. Once again, it's a nice problem to have. I don't understand how we're "ahead" of the Oilers, are you guys saying this because we finished 5th last in the NHL and they finished 2nd last the past year? Or, are we going by the current standings of a season that isn't half over yet?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Wilson was horrible BUT had he fired him sooner we wouldn't have Carlyle today...
That's a good point and Eakins was likely not in the picture then either like he is today.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:16 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Khabi, and others will be off the books by then. Two of the 4 you've mentioned have already re-signed with the club. Once again, it's a nice problem to have. I don't understand how we're "ahead" of the Oilers, are you guys saying this because we finished 5th last in the NHL and they finished 2nd last the past year? Or, are we going by the current standings of a season that isn't half over yet?
Think we going by revenue and cups won. Take a hike kid, the oilers are back where they belong the basement. Go rub backs with your boys about how sick the oilers will be after this rebuild, if it ever happens. If not enjoy watching a terrible team in a run down dump of a arena in the least desirable city in Canada.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Edmonton has alot of medium sized holes to fill i'd say. The offense is there(but inconsistent mostly due to youth and lack of solid veteran presence), the defense is garbage, and the goaltending is i'd say average.

Not to mention the west is simply a tighter conference skill wise so it's gonna be harder to make the playoffs for edm.

Toronto seems to have a lot of SOLID pieces, a guy that's showing himself to be a #1 G, a huge amount of depth on the blueline and a solid top 9 with a tough identity.

Toronto is a #1 C from contention(at least mid-level contention) if the prospects continue to grow like they're showing now.

Edmonton is in heavy need of defense, heavy need of bottom 6 players, another top 6 forward and possibly a new goalie.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:21 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Think we going by revenue and cups won. Take a hike kid, the oilers are back where they belong the basement. Go rub backs with your boys about how sick the oilers will be after this rebuild, if it ever happens. If not enjoy watching a terrible team in a run down dump of a arena in the least desirable city in Canada.
Kid? How old are you son? Let me give you a little advice, dumping all over another team and another city isn't going to make our team any better. This little pearl of wisdom works in your everyday life as well.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Also, revenue and cups won? Really? My team is rich, wooo woooo! We won a lot more cups way back in the day, woooooo! Whatever works for you I guess. How old were you the last time the Leafs won a cup and what's your best memory of that experience?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Winreims

Until the "Edmonton model" actually works, there is nothing to be jealous of. Sure they have players I'd want on the Leafs, but their team as a whole? Probably not. Tambellini has built the team with skilled forwards (some who are struggling to find chem) and left out defence/grit and arguably goaltending. Dubnyk's played well, but has consistency issues.

And there is something to be said to the fact that we're are better than them this year considering most people predicted them to finish higher than us overall this season. Their talented forwards were supposed to demolish teams this year, and to this point it hasn't happened. The team has looked pretty average so far.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Until the "Edmonton model" actually works, there is nothing to be jealous of. Sure they have players I'd want on the Leafs, but their team as a whole? Probably not. Tambellini has built the team with skilled forwards (some who are struggling to find chem) and left out defence/grit and arguably goaltending. Dubnyk's played well, but has consistency issues.

And there is something to be said to the fact that we're are better than them this year considering most people predicted them to finish higher than us overall this season. Their talented forwards were supposed to demolish teams this year, and to this point it hasn't happened. The team has looked pretty average so far.
We're really getting this thread off-topic but I agree with you there. I haven't even argued that Edmonton is better than Toronto, I'm merely disputing the notion that the Leafs are that much better off. Both are bottom 5 teams with a ways to go before they're comfortably challenging for a playoff spot.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Winreims

Quote:
We're really getting this thread off-topic but I agree with you there. I haven't even argued that Edmonton is better than Toronto, I'm merely disputing the notion that the Leafs are that much better off. Both are bottom 5 teams with a ways to go before they're comfortably challenging for a playoff spot.
True, true. Leafs aren't that much better than the Oilers (although we've played better than them through the first quarter of this season). I think that is the argument being made by others. We've shown to be a better team than the Oilers this season so far. Like you said, both have a ways to go. Time will tell I guess.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

What of the Kabber deal?

Colb looks to be a 4th liner at best, if not a total bust and he got a glorified 2nd and 3rd round pick, wooooop dee doo.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
You missed one: Schenn for JVR.

And no doubt Kessel has proven to be better than the other 3, and still only 25 years old.
What of the JVR Schenn deal? it's only been 22 bloody games, man o man you BB lovers are grasping at straws.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote