HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2012-13 Manchester Monarchs Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 09:35 PM
hockeyisone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
Kozun's stats look pretty damn good to me. Especially when he doesn't get first unit power play time. Pretty impressive.

You must be related to him because you are always pumping him up, it's not minor hockey you don't have to do that anymore. When I did watch the games he was first line pp playing with the two players currently in the NHL.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:31 AM
cubsfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
There's no way we see Vey, Pearson AND Toffoli in the lineup next year. It'll probably depend on what position we need to fill. If it's a wing, then I think Toffoli is next up and will probably take Penner's place next year
You're probably right, but... IF camp decisions could be made before free agency decisions, who's to say all three wouldn't make the team? You don't think that in 6 months there's a chance they could collectively surpass penner, gagne and stoll?

Sub question: Would true monarch fans rather see their team win or their players succeed in the NHL?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:36 AM
damacles1156

I think Vey would make it over anyone.

Most seasoned, complete game. Can play Wing/Center.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:02 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

I think Vey and Toffoli have a good chance of making the team in LA next year. I agree with damacles1156. Vey is the most ready he's got a complete game and almost nightly has moments were he takes control in the offensive zone. Reminds of Kopitar in terms of obtaining extended puck possession by using his skating and and agility.

Something I ment to post last night was that Toffoli was playing on the top PK unit last night and was looking very good at it.

I also agree with Two For Roughing I don't think Toffoli or even Vey need to be immediately in the top 6. They can work their way in. I can see Toffoli starting on the 3rd line right wing and if he is successful could eventually take Williams's spot in the top 6. Vey I think will have to play 3C since Kopi and Richards/Carter have top 2 spots locked down.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

But then we have a 3.25M 4th line center for another 2 years? No way. I see maybe Cliche coming up and playing the 4th line center roll. Now, if Stoll gets hurt, that's a different story but they'll probably just make Jeff Carter the 2nd line center and move Richards down. This is exactly why I see Toffoli ahead of Vey, because Vey's natural position is center, Toffoli is wing. Next year (unless we sign someone), the wing position will be open for Toffoli with Penner, Gagne and Richardson all up for UFA.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan999 View Post
You're probably right, but... IF camp decisions could be made before free agency decisions, who's to say all three wouldn't make the team? You don't think that in 6 months there's a chance they could collectively surpass penner, gagne and stoll?

Sub question: Would true monarch fans rather see their team win or their players succeed in the NHL?
I can't speak for them all but the sense I get from fans I've spoken to at games and from game day threads on facebook is their is a stronger desire to win the cup. Which makes sense, most Monarch fans are Bruin fans as Boston is I think just an hour from Manchester. But, a good chunk of fans have this feeling that the Kings don't care about the success of the Monarchs and never throw them a bone. It's a nonsensical opinion in my opinion as the Monarchs have been very successful making the playoffs 11 out of their 12 years in Manchester and made the conference finals twice. An impressive feat in the wacky wildness of the AHL!

With that said there is a fair percentage of fans who root for or have become Kings fans. It isn't uncommon to see them wearing Kopitar or Richards jerseys at games. So, there is definitely a group that has the overall interest of the organization in mind. Which is where I fall in. As I am a Kings fan first and foremost. (Although I became a Kings fan while living in LA)

Also some fans who root for the players. I know some fans are watching Preds or Islanders games of late due to Hickey and Clune (who was a major fan favorite) So, its a mixed bag

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 02-24-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old
02-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Fat Elvis

I can see Kozun or Andreoff getting a call up before anyone on that top line. Mostly because AA can replace a bottom 6 guy (King) and Kozun can play a bottom 9 role. That's not saying TT or Vey aren't great or undeserving, just that maybe their roles aren't yet as defined as much. Just a thought.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:31 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
But then we have a 3.25M 4th line center for another 2 years? No way. I see maybe Cliche coming up and playing the 4th line center roll. Now, if Stoll gets hurt, that's a different story but they'll probably just make Jeff Carter the 2nd line center and move Richards down. This is exactly why I see Toffoli ahead of Vey, because Vey's natural position is center, Toffoli is wing. Next year (unless we sign someone), the wing position will be open for Toffoli with Penner, Gagne and Richardson all up for UFA.

Then I think we'd need to either trade Stoll or just bite the bullet, since we'll be paying Vey 4th line money in the next 2 years. So, it's kinda of a wash in my opinion. But, also make Vey earn the spot. He's gonna have to out play Stoll for the 3C spot. It shouldn't just be given to him.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Ollie Weeks

If the issue is our depth on the left, then why don't we just shunt Carter to the left and let Toffoli be more comfortable on the right side. If Jeff Carter wants to score, he'll score, no matter what position he lines up at.

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Carter - Richards- Toffoli

Somebody mentioned swapping Toffoli for Pearson from time to time a la Penner and Gagne. In which case:

Pearson - Richards - Carter

Vey has it a bit trickier, he needs to unseat Stoll.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

If Lombardi thought Vey was ready to step in, he wouldn't have signed Stoll for 3 years. I'm not a huge fan of Stoll, I actually think he's declined heavily since he's gotten here but there's no way we're paying a 4th line center 3.25/per. Maybe he gets the amnesty next year (highly doubt it) but if he gets hurt this year and Vey maybe gets called up and has a good stint, I can then see Stoll maybe getting the amnesty.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:26 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I don't think Stoll's contract will deter Sutter from putting him on the fourth line if he thinks a guy like Vey is ready next year.

Last edited by TwoForRoughing: 02-24-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
KingLB

Quote:
If Lombardi thought Vey was ready to step in, he wouldn't have signed Stoll for 3 years. I'm not a huge fan of Stoll, I actually think he's declined heavily since he's gotten here but there's no way we're paying a 4th line center 3.25/per. Maybe he gets the amnesty next year (highly doubt it) but if he gets hurt this year and Vey maybe gets called up and has a good stint, I can then see Stoll maybe getting the amnesty.
Your overthinking. You sign Stoll cause you don't know what you have in Vey last year. If he is ready a year or 2 later that is bonus, but you don't make a major decsion like this in hopes some player might be ready in a few years. If he is then you have options....

For instance you keep saying Stoll is paid to much to be a 4th line center...but financially speaking is there much difference if Stoll played the 3rd and Vey the 4th. Or if Vey played the 3rd and Stoll the 4th. Its still 4+ mil. Not only that, but Stoll is always playing big mins on the PK, a few on the PP, and can still take important defensive zone draws. He would be 4th line center in name only.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
johnjm22

I think Stoll has more trade value than people realize. He's held in relatively high regard around the league.

He would be traded before being bought out IMO.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Lombardi prides himself in having his teams stay young or get younger every year. He used to have this type of pattern in San Jose with young players stepping in, so it wouldn't be out if the realm of possibility to see a couple of Monarchs make the Kings next season.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Tanner Pearson is injured. Being called "banged up" right now. So, hopefully won't be out long, he won't be playing today. Martin Jones is gonna playing today. That's the 2nd weekend in a row that Jones has played the 3 in 3. Doesn't seem like Morris has any confidence in Berube!

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 02-24-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 02:49 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

highlights from last night's win over Bridgeport

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/console.jsp?catid=2&id=6807

Old
02-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Lombardi prides himself in having his teams stay young or get younger every year. He used to have this type of pattern in San Jose with young players stepping in, so it wouldn't be out if the realm of possibility to see a couple of Monarchs make the Kings next season.
This will more than likely happen with Penner, Richardson and Gagne moving on. Add in the fact the cap will be lower and there will be without a doubt a youngster or two making their debut next season.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:17 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
Tanner Pearson is injured. Being called "banged up" right now. So, hopefully won't be out long, he won't be playing today. Martin Jones is gonna playing today. That's the 2nd weekend in a row that Jones has played the 3 in 3. Doesn't seem like Morris has any confidence in Berube!
Looking at today's roster on ahl.com, the Monarchs appear to have dressed 20 players (has to be some sort of typo, right?).

Old
02-24-2013, 03:44 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post
Looking at today's roster on ahl.com, the Monarchs appear to have dressed 20 players (has to be some sort of typo, right?).
Yeah, It has both Cliche and Pearson listed as playing but both are out injured.

Monarchs lead 1-0 after 1 in Portland. Goal by Brandon Kozun

Great moves by Jordan Weal to bring the puck into the Pirates zone which led directly to the goal.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:59 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

If Sutter is willing to scratch guys like Penner and Gagne, I don't see why he'd be afraid to give someone like Vey a chance at 3C next year and demote Stoll.

For the record, I could see Pearson starting in the AHL next year, but both Vey and Toffoli are ready, imo.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
highlights from last night's win over Bridgeport

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/console.jsp?catid=2&id=6807
Jordan Weal on the point on the PP. Interesting..

Old
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
If Sutter is willing to scratch guys like Penner and Gagne, I don't see why he'd be afraid to give someone like Vey a chance at 3C next year and demote Stoll.

Simple - Sutter likes sandpaper and would prefer to pummel the opposing team into submission. If you're playing a bottom 6 role, you better be good at the ground and pound game. Gagne nor Penner are that adept at it. Vey is more crafty, but lacks the sandpaper attributes Stoll has.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Simple - Sutter likes sandpaper and would prefer to pummel the opposing team into submission. If you're playing a bottom 6 role, you better be good at the ground and pound game. Gagne nor Penner are that adept at it. Vey is more crafty, but lacks the sandpaper attributes Stoll has.
This is true to an extent, but Sutter has also expressed that he wants guys in the bottom-six that have some playmaking ability. Hence the reason Westgarth barely played under his tenure.

Not to mention, Vey plays a great 200-foot game, and Toffoli leads the team and +- and has been playing on the PK.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
This is true to an extent, but Sutter has also expressed that he wants guys in the bottom-six that have some playmaking ability. Hence the reason Westgarth barely played under his tenure.

Not to mention, Vey plays a great 200-foot game, and Toffoli leads the team and +- and has been playing on the PK.
I fully agree with you that both Vey and Toffoli will be on the Kings roster- I like them both. I understand that they will need to bump someone out of the lineup to make that happen. However, I just don't think that Stoll will be the one coming out of the lineup. If you look at yesterday's game, Stoll took virtually all his draws in the defensive zone. Vey may be competent at defense, but lacks the high end defensive abilities (and faceoff ability) that Stoll brings.

Having Stoll on the roster gives Kopitar and Richards line more offensive zone faceoffs. We've gotten away from the Terry Murray system of using Kopitar to shut down opposing top lines, which I believe is a better use of resources.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Monarchs lose 4-3 in OT to the Pirates. Letting a up goal just 7 seconds into OT. Deslauriers decided to come up the lw spot on the opening face off. The Pirates won the face off cleanly. Deslauriers couldn't recover and they skated right in for the game winning goal.

Despite the loss the Monarchs pull out 5 out of 6 points on the weekend. Goals tonight be Kozun, Yellow Horn, and Stewart

Closed Thread