HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injured Players Thread (3/6: Staal Out Indefinitely; Not Career Threatening)

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I have been against shot-blocking as a strategy since day one, and I've been flamed for it when we were on winning streaks, and dismissed when we lose a game and or player, so I stopped saying it.

IMHO, it is NOT a good long term strategy. Shot-blocking is a tool to be used when the game is on the line in the closing minutes and there is no choice. Collapsing into this standing wall of shot blockers until the puck springs loose tino our posession is a fail.

02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I have been against shot-blocking as a strategy since day one, and I've been flamed for it when we were on winning streaks, and dismissed when we lose a game and or player, so I stopped saying it.

IMHO, it is NOT a good long term strategy. Shot-blocking is a tool to be used when the game is on the line in the closing minutes and there is no choice. Collapsing into this standing wall of shot blockers until the puck springs loose tino our posession is a fail.
I agree. I was just pointing out Girardi went for 60 full minutes. I agree about the shot blocking though esp when u have the best goalie in the world behind them. Let him see the shot! We give up more own goals than anything@

Old
02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post

I think more people found this to be the case by the end of the season when the team was tired and hurt.

rip
Old
02-24-2013, 02:22 PM
jniklast

I can't imagine a 5-on-3 PK working without shot blocking. And Girardi did the right thing by not caring how important or not that block was. You have to give 100% all the time and not think about whether it's worth it or not.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I can't imagine a 5-on-3 PK working without shot blocking. And Girardi did the right thing by not caring how important or not that block was. You have to give 100% all the time and not think about whether it's worth it or not.
Yup. As much as it sucks that we'll be without him, you have to admire that mindset and you need like minded people to win.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Yup. As much as it sucks that we'll be without him, you have to admire that mindset and you need like minded people to win.
losing your #1 RD blocking a senseless shot does not encourage the team to block shots down 3-0 w/ 2m left in the game... no good came out of blocking the shot. if anything it encourages them not to buy in. we can respect girardi all we want for it, and give him credit for carrying the team on his back, but any way you cut it this was a bad decision by tortorella. throw your worst performing guys out there on a 5 on 3 with 2m left. embarass them, not girardi.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
iceman9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post

You have ( 3 ) guys ( Gabby, Richards,Nash ) making over $7M in blockbuster moves and we have them play a defensive style, blocking shots, gutless game.. And on top of it no one to protect them in the lineup..

He benches Gabby the 3rd Period last night because of a penalty in the 2nd period!!,.. Torts had 20 minutes in the locker room to talk to Gabby about the penalty, but NO!!!! he had to bench him. Our only $7M scorer left and he benches him!! lol what a joke!

He scrambles lines all over the place every game and he is living on a 2004 stanley cup! like he is some kinda king.. Not bad for a guy who played in the ACHL ( atlantic hockey league) and trying to tell pro players how to play this game..

Last edited by Bob Richards: 02-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 03:48 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman9999 View Post
You have ( 3 ) guys ( Gabby, Richards,Nash ) making over $7M in blockbuster moves and we have them play a defensive style, blocking shots, gutless game.. And on top of it no one to protect them in the lineup..

He benches Gabby the 3rd Period last night because of a penalty in the 2nd period!!,.. Torts had 20 minutes in the locker room to talk to Gabby about the penalty, but NO!!!! he had to bench him. Our only $7M scorer left and he benches him!! lol what a joke!

He scrambles lines all over the place every game and he is living on a 2004 stanley cup! like he is some kinda king.. Not bad for a guy who played in the ACHL ( atlantic hockey league) and trying to tell pro players how to play this game..
We can talk about Torts lack of an offensive strategy (I fully agree) and poor man management, but I don't see how either applies to this situation. It was a 5-on-3 PK and you have to block shots to kill it. Doesn't matter who the coach is. And I want our players to always give 100%, even if a game is lost.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Because that would have prevented the hit? Please. Seems to me the Bruins have some of the biggest, baddest guys around in Lucic, Thornton and Chara and yet Savard's career is pretty much done due to a much worse hit.

We can debate the psychological impact that players claim having an enforcer on the team provides (and, frankly, I think a lot of that is guys repeating what they've been told growing up in the game and/or not wanting to throw their goon teammates under the bus), but the idea that **** like this wouldn't happen if we had Colton ****ing Orr wasting a spot on our bottom line is ludicrous.

All players like that do is scratch the fans' itch to see vengeance imparted; they have NO bearing on preventing injuries in the first place.

EDIT: to be clear, I do believe that nasty defensemen and badass power forwards are more effective at PLAYING the game due to the edge they bring and other players' desire to avoid meeting them in the corners or in front of the net. My comments above are directed towards how fighters have no meaningful impact on preventing injuries.
What did Boston do to Cooke? Nothing. Shawn Thornton fought Cooke. It has a nothing fight. The big bad Bruins did not make Cooke pay for the Savard hit.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Receiving a lot of questions on the #NYR walking wounded...nothing new to report...Girardi & McDonagh both traveled home w/team today
https://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/305778524898357248

Old
02-24-2013, 04:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Pacioretty is a repeat offender. His hearing started at 4pm.

Letang developed concussion symptoms a few days later.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:18 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Wait, is Nash on the IR new?

Gotta love that NHL network lets us know that the Penguins are testing Malkin for concussions, yet we don't find out jack **** about our guys.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Wait, is Nash on the IR new?
He was put on the IR yesterday and is eligible to come off today

Old
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Pacioretty is a repeat offender. His hearing started at 4pm.

Letang developed concussion symptoms a few days later.
So, 5+ games?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Dr Larry Brooks used Nash not flying as proof that he has a concussion. McDonagh flew with the Rangers. Does that mean he doesn't have a concussion OR is it just further proof that Brooks doesn't have a clue what he's talking about in regards to the Nash injury?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
This is the least healthy I've ever seen this team. And of course we don't have our first round pick.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
This is the least healthy I've ever seen this team. And of course we don't have our first round pick.
No Training Camp means guys are prone to pulls and prone to have their timing off in general, in a high speed dangerously physical game.

02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Confirmed no discipline for #Canadiens Max Pacioretty after his hearing with the #NHL.
https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/305799110961811456

Old
02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

It was retaliatory and viscous, as well as pre-mediated, AND Pacioretty has a history. The hit alone doesn't deserve further punishment, but put in into context, including McDonagh not returning to the game, and that's a ****ing bull**** call.

A fine at least, but nothing? Come on.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I was just about to post this...pathetic NHL drops the ball!

Old
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Ah, the good old NHL with another inconsistent call.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Vitto79

NHL is going to say McD turned into it........did they say McD was ok?.........please be ok

gotta get some bodies back vs the Jets, thinking Nash and DZ may come back to soon to help though , hope not

Old
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
SA16
Two by two...

League got it right.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I wonder if the Rangers with their not disclosing injuries lately chose not to disclose the injury the NHL therefore leading to no supp. discipline.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Pacioretty left his feet on the hit, plain and simple. It was a dirty hit. The NHL is a joke. If it were the rangers they would've received a discipline.

Closed Thread