HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yes, you can play a 5th year in the CHL, you get the status of ''overager'' and usually there's a 2 or 3 per team limit.
For some reason I thought there were specific requirements for a 5th year.

Pribyl sounds like Jason Allison. Big body, skilled, but slow as ****.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Pribyl sounds like Jason Allison. Big body, skilled, but slow as ****.
FWIW, I think his skating is a fixable problem, so there's that.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
FWIW, I think his skating is a fixable problem, so there's that.
He's young enough that there's time for him to learn to improve, but right now his skating is bad enough to keep him out of the league.

Considering where he was drafted, if Pribyl ends up in the same league as Jason Allison, slow or not that's a home run.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:31 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He's young enough that there's time for him to learn to improve, but right now his skating is bad enough to keep him out of the league.
I agree with that. What he can do this off-season and next season(if he's signed and comes over) will be very formative for what he can do in the NHL.

Quote:
Considering where he was drafted, if Pribyl ends up in the same league as Jason Allison, slow or not that's a home run.
Yup.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Allison was a legitimate #1 centre and a PPG+ player for several seasons, a lot of people seem to forget that. As slow as he was, he was still an all-star.

Getting a player like him in the 6th round is beyond a home run, it's the theft of the century.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Allison was a legitimate #1 centre and a PPG+ player for several seasons, a lot of people seem to forget that. As slow as he was, he was still an all-star.

Getting a player like him in the 6th round is beyond a home run, it's the theft of the century.
Need to look at where Datysuk, Zetterburg, and/or Federov were drafted.
Allison wasn't quite in that group.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Vail with a GWG in a 6-5 win. Looks like he played defence again, went -2.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Vail with a GWG in a 6-5 win. Looks like he played defence again, went -2.
That's your perfect pre-Therrien Habs....a forward playing defence....or a defenceman playing forward...we used to LOVE those types of guys....

Old
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's your perfect pre-Therrien Habs....a forward playing defence....or a defenceman playing forward...we used to LOVE those types of guys....
I don't think we've ever had a forward play defenceman. Pretty impressed that he can score back there too.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Need to look at where Datysuk, Zetterburg, and/or Federov were drafted.
Allison wasn't quite in that group.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg were both picked in the previous century.

And sure, a 6th round Jason Allison isn't quite as good as they are, but it would still be a massive steal. Elite scoring forwards getting picked outside of the first two rounds is almost unheard of, especially if you disregard undersized players.

Fedorov (and Bure, Stastny, Mogilny etc) was a cold war era draft pick, that's a very different situation that can't really be compared with modern drafts. Think the modern Russian factor, except with 100 times more uncertainty.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I don't think we've ever had a forward play defenceman. Pretty impressed that he can score back there too.
Andrei Markov is the ultimate forward that was then transfered into becoming a d-man. But I know what you mean, we've never actually asked in the NHL for a guy to move down there. And in all honesty, it's impossible to do so at that level, unless the guy had already played there. And even if he did in lower levels...You can do one...but you can't do the other.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I don't think we've ever had a forward play defenceman.
GAiney did it under Bowman. Roberts also

Old
02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The game was slower than it is now, mostly because of the obstruction.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
jake1

I'm a UND fan who has seen a lot of Kristo. I know you've been talking about him for literally years now, but I wanted to chime in. I think he's going to play a lot of NHL games next year already, and I think he's eventually going to score 30 goals in a season. There are plenty of great college players who don't make it, but they're usually great because of things like hockey sense, or they have a knack for scoring, but their lack of world-class athleticism keeps them from the next level.

Kristo doesn't have those physical deficiencies. He's smallish but not small at all; very similar to many skilled NHL forwards. He skates well; in his first NHL game his speed and agility will fit in in a way that will be obvious to everyone. He has fantastic hands. If you've seen highlights this year, you've seen him set up linemates for a ton of chances and goals. He has a great motor, always buzzing.

He has been the best player on the ice in most games the last two seasons. I don't know if it's been posted here, but he had a fantastic third-period shorty on Friday night. He received a great pass on a 2-on-1 from Knight that he buried, but the impressive thing that you can't see on the highlight is that a few seconds before that he had a partial breakaway that didn't go in. When he and Knight took off from their own blueline on the scoring rush, I thought it was one of those chances that would fade; they had backcheckers right behind them and given they were at altitude in Denver, in the third period, at the end of a shift that already saw Kristo burn up the tank on a breakaway, I figured he had nothing left. But once they crossed the blueline, Kristo burst ahead to space, Knight delivered the puck, and Kristo buried it. He's a great college star as a senior, and he will open eyes in camp next fall.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think the only reason Kristo isn't top 3 or 4 on our list is because they have to sign him and want to try and keep him from pulling a "Schultz", or expecting to go right to NHL this year. Being a RW there will be a spot for him soon with Cole and Gio getting up there in age.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the only reason Kristo isn't top 3 or 4 on our list is because they have to sign him and want to try and keep him from pulling a "Schultz", or expecting to go right to NHL this year. Being a RW there will be a spot for him soon with Cole and Gio getting up there in age.
But the thing is....he cannot pull a Schultz. I think someone explained here why he cant

Old
02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
In theory, any prospect could pull a Schultz/Erixon and refuse to sign with the team that drafted him, so I never quite get the concern that surrounds Kristo about this if you aren't worried about it happening with any other one of our prospects.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
But the thing is....he cannot pull a Schultz. I think someone explained here why he cant
It's been explained like 100 times already.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
In theory, any prospect could pull a Schultz/Erixon and refuse to sign with the team that drafted him, so I never quite get the concern that surrounds Kristo about this if you aren't worried about it happening with any other one of our prospects.
Schultz turned UFA and Erixon was about to do so. Kristo has no options but to sign with the Habs.

edit: Maybe Erixon wasn't going to turn UFA, I don't remember. Either way, Calgary traded him away so they at least received something back. Schultz was a UFA, something that Kristo won't have the opportunity to take advantage of.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Datsyuk and Zetterberg were both picked in the previous century.

And sure, a 6th round Jason Allison isn't quite as good as they are, but it would still be a massive steal. Elite scoring forwards getting picked outside of the first two rounds is almost unheard of, especially if you disregard undersized players.

Fedorov (and Bure, Stastny, Mogilny etc) was a cold war era draft pick, that's a very different situation that can't really be compared with modern drafts. Think the modern Russian factor, except with 100 times more uncertainty.
It was last century, wasn't it. Feeling very old now. Your fault!

True about Federov being in the "cold war" days. Live ammunition made the
dissiplinary hearings more exciting back then.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Doing it under Bowman is different. Bowman often used Federov as a
defencemen. And IIRC Bowman converted Dandinault to defense.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
I'm a UND fan who has seen a lot of Kristo. I know you've been talking about him for literally years now, but I wanted to chime in. I think he's going to play a lot of NHL games next year already, and I think he's eventually going to score 30 goals in a season. There are plenty of great college players who don't make it, but they're usually great because of things like hockey sense, or they have a knack for scoring, but their lack of world-class athleticism keeps them from the next level.

Kristo doesn't have those physical deficiencies. He's smallish but not small at all; very similar to many skilled NHL forwards. He skates well; in his first NHL game his speed and agility will fit in in a way that will be obvious to everyone. He has fantastic hands. If you've seen highlights this year, you've seen him set up linemates for a ton of chances and goals. He has a great motor, always buzzing.

He has been the best player on the ice in most games the last two seasons. I don't know if it's been posted here, but he had a fantastic third-period shorty on Friday night. He received a great pass on a 2-on-1 from Knight that he buried, but the impressive thing that you can't see on the highlight is that a few seconds before that he had a partial breakaway that didn't go in. When he and Knight took off from their own blueline on the scoring rush, I thought it was one of those chances that would fade; they had backcheckers right behind them and given they were at altitude in Denver, in the third period, at the end of a shift that already saw Kristo burn up the tank on a breakaway, I figured he had nothing left. But once they crossed the blueline, Kristo burst ahead to space, Knight delivered the puck, and Kristo buried it. He's a great college star as a senior, and he will open eyes in camp next fall.
Knight is a beast in his own right. Both great weapons for UND and hopefully they can land them the elusive championship.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The game was slower than it is now, mostly because of the obstruction.
Oh indeed. Still managed to get 66 points for the Leafs in 05-06 though, so a player like him could obviously find some form of effectiveness in the post-obstruction NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
It was last century, wasn't it. Feeling very old now. Your fault!
It was a pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Schultz turned UFA and Erixon was about to do so. Kristo has no options but to sign with the Habs.

edit: Maybe Erixon wasn't going to turn UFA, I don't remember. Either way, Calgary traded him away so they at least received something back. Schultz was a UFA, something that Kristo won't have the opportunity to take advantage of.
Erixon would have re-entered the draft had he not been traded to the Rangers. His situation is one that will not repeat itself though as NHL clubs now hold the rights to Swedish based players for 4 years instead of the previous 2 years.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Sami Kapanen played d for the flyers whenever a dman would go down.

As mentioned Fedorov did from time to time. Dandenault but I think he moved up rather than back.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:02 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Gainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
And Gainey was awful although one of the best defensive forwards ever

Closed Thread