HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mika Zibanejad - How good will he be? Comparisons?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
HSF

vCash: 500
hossa/michalek type

i think he can be a 1b type winger

he is very young and raw but he is fast big and has a good shot

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
I still think the best comparison is a HalfVechkin.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Upside of an Olli Jokinen, but some serious risk of actually happening. But not a high risk prospect. Worst case you're talking about 20-25 goal scorer with a great motor and two-way ability.

Still would have preferred Couturier (or Hamilton) but we really won't know for 3-4 more years how they compare, as most acknowledged Zibanejad was less of a finished product at the time of the draft compared to a Couturier.

Like Jokinen, I suspect it will take him a while to find his scoring touch at the NHL level. Jokinen didn't score more than 11 goals in the NHL until he was 23 or so, but took off after that with a 36 goal season and never looked back. Hopefully the Sens are more patient than the Kings and Isles were with Jokinen, and he ends up hitting his stride with the Sens rather than some other team.
I think Jokinen is best comparison I've seen. Might not reach his peek but similar styles.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:29 PM
DK28

At the time I wondered why Ottawa passed on Sean Coututier, a centre with high ceiling. They chose Zibanejad instead, traded for Turris. I think they would like that chance back.

DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK28 View Post
At the time I wondered why Ottawa passed on Sean Coututier, a centre with high ceiling. They chose Zibanejad instead, traded for Turris. I think they would like that chance back.
Apparently the Sens scouting staff left one of Couturiers playoff games disgusted with his play. The Sens were not high on Couturier at all and it didn't shock any Sens fan that we didn't pick him.

And why would we want to take it back if it got us Turris who is one of our best players? Zibanejad has shown signs of being a great player, plus he's only 19. Lets give the kid some more time here.

P.S He scored a real clutch goal tonight to tie the game with about 5 to go in regulation.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Apparently the Sens scouting staff left one of Couturiers playoff games disgusted with his play. The Sens were not high on Couturier at all and it didn't shock any Sens fan that we didn't pick him.

And why would we want to take it back if it got us Turris who is one of our best players? Zibanejad has shown signs of being a great player, plus he's only 19. Lets give the kid some more time here.

P.S He scored a real clutch goal tonight to tie the game with about 5 to go in regulation.
The Sens liked Couturier enough after his playoffs to invite him to fly to Ottawa to meet with the team etc. They only did this with like 5 guys, and they didn't invite guys like Scheifele and Hamilton. So, saying they were not high on him at all, is not entirely accurate.

And it did surprise some Sens fans (and league scouts) when the Sens passed on Couturier. That said, the verdict is still obviously out on how all of these guys will pan out in the long-term.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post

I think as a team we'd be in a better position if we had drafted Hamilton and then traded for Turris...but Zibanejad still has a lot of room to grow. Hard to gauge these things 2 years into their careers.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think he'll be a solid 2nd line player and a consistent 60-65 point a year player.

02-23-2013, 01:28 AM
El Diego

I don't see the Fisher comparison tbh.

Zibanejad will be a good forechecker, very good reach and can cut off a lot of ice with it. At his peak he will be a one man forechecking unit.

Great one timer, will be very useful on PP. Overall his shot is good for his age, can get it on target and gets it off decently quickly.

Vision and hockey sense is extremely underrated. I heard the knocks but after watching him he has decent awareness.

Can carry puck through neutral zone but decision making at blue line could stand to improve; that's where my biggest knock on his hockey IQ is.

People praise him defensively but I think he's just ok in that respect. For a 19 year old playing centre, though, it's good.

Honestly, people tend to view him as a guy who will be a defensive/physical force with offensive upside but I think he should be developed as the opposite. An offensive player with unique attributes in other areas. His aim should be a top 6 C who plays both special teams.

El Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:31 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Yes... Do not do what the Oilers are doing with MSP.

Don't mold him into a Fisher type player or defensive forward like Edmonton

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:11 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
The Sens liked Couturier enough after his playoffs to invite him to fly to Ottawa to meet with the team etc. They only did this with like 5 guys, and they didn't invite guys like Scheifele and Hamilton. So, saying they were not high on him at all, is not entirely accurate.

And it did surprise some Sens fans (and league scouts) when the Sens passed on Couturier. That said, the verdict is still obviously out on how all of these guys will pan out in the long-term.
Rumor has it, at least from what I remember at the time, was the scouting staff grilled him about his playoffs asking him if there was some underlying issues (injuries, mono symptoms etc.) that affected his play when they flew him in. Apparently they weren't impressed/assured by his answers.

Anyone that followed the Senators' draft rumors at the time did not believe for a second that the Senators were going to draft Couturier.

Last edited by PatrickEaves: 02-23-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Bonk, he is a Swedish-Iranian Radek Bonk with a better "motor".
Nice hands, great shot, big frame, skates better, there is more effort or apparent effort.

back in the day Bonk ended up a good shutdown guy who produced well at 55-70pts in his best 5/6 years.
i can see a similar trajectory for Zibinejad, might end up all around better but i dont see him any worse.
Bonk with a better motor would have been awesome. Zib is more of a shooter than Radek was.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Jp20

great game by zibanejad easily one of the best players out there

Jp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
He has seemingly turned the corner these last couple of games. Needs to show this type of game (net-drive) more consistently however.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:45 AM
fahad203

It's still too early to tell. He definitely has the tools to be a good contributor.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

And he's a centre again.

He's just awesome. More responsible defensively than Ovechkin (obviously, because that's not hard to accomplish). He's not as physically gifted as Ovechkin, but he thinks the game better.

Maybe Ovechkin-lite in terms of his shot and skating. But then again he could easily be a two-way centre.

Kesler/Ovechkin hybrid in terms of playing style, but not on Ovechkin offensive level or Kesler's defensive level. But he needs to more consistent with his physical play for that comparison to be accurate. He's a cool player, hard to pin down one player he's exactly like. I see some Zetterberg in there in how he covers the whole ice, but he's obviously not the playmaker Zetterberg is.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

If Zibanejad does reach his potential I can't see him staying at centre though. For the foreseeable future we have Spezza and Turris. So unless we're going to run a situation like they had with Pittsburgh (which would be a waste of Zibanejad's talents IMO) I'd much rather see Zibanejad playing the wing so he can play with the top talent on our team.

That said Zibanejad has had a good couple of games. Hope he can build on it. Still think he could be a 60 - 70 point, 25 - 30 goal winger that brings energy and good defence. Hope he can shake off the early developmental bumps from injury and bouncing around leagues to make it there.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
I think he could be Dainius Zubrus at his peak. 50-60pts 20-25 goals, very strong defense, nothing wrong with that.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:54 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
I think he could be Dainius Zubrus at his peak. 50-60pts 20-25 goals, very strong defense, nothing wrong with that.
I think his peak is higher than that, but this isn't as bad a comparison as some might make it to be. I see more flash in Zibanejad's game, it's certainly tough to pinpoint an exact comparison.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

He'll be a very effective player, the kind you like to watch and many teams covet. He's tenacious on the forecheck with great anticipation and causes many offensive zone turnovers. Great hand eye, very good speed, loves to hit and has a cannon that could be used on the point for a PP.

He's just starting to get used to the league and North America hockey and on top of that, he hasn't really played for one team any longer than a few months so he has yet to get synched with one particular group. I think that has caused some people to look at his numbers and look at his potential in a negative light.

Kid appears to have a good head on his shoulders too...I see him being a 30 goal guy in the future that plays well in his own end and lays some punishment on the opposition. He won't be a superstar but he'll be an excellent NHL'er.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks10 View Post
I don't know much about him. Who does he compare to, what's his ceiling?
He'll be better than Kadri as he showed last night.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
He'll be better than Kadri as he showed last night.
Ha. Funny

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK28 View Post
Too busy making outstanding decisions otherwise.

Don't lose sight of the big picture. Only fools dwell on isolated mistakes in an industry (scouting) where batting 500. is considered untouchable.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
I think in a couple years we'll see that goal total march up a little to 25-30. Though, don't think he controls the puck well enough to be a really high end producer. I don't think he's far off from being a 20 goal guy..not at this instant, but give it a month or two or whatever more to settle in and you may see another marginal but notable jump in his play.

Think he'll be a real nice player though. There's room for improvement, and at 19, he looks like a pretty useful player right now.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think he'll be a solid 2nd line player and a consistent 60-65 point a year player.
Wouldn't that be average-good 1st line production?

That burst he's got could have him useful on the kill.