HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I dream of a day our winger situation is so stable, we start threads about trading for a back up goalie and other boring topics like "who are we going to draft after this year's Cup run?"
I just dream of a day where you can copy and paste a Pens roster from any point in the season. As a GDT maker stand point that is.

You can never make one up and have it stick or be right come game day.

Photo lineups are brutal anymore. GTD's.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:25 PM
cheesedanish87

http://www.csnphilly.com/flyers/nhl-...6307377878-711

Thats a phily beat writer take on Iginla it sounds like he thinks he could be traded soon.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I do think that this season Shero will finally solve our winger problem though. He just has too many assets, too much cap space, and too much of a reason not to. He's obviously out there scouting pretty hard. I don't remember seeing this many tweets in years past about Penguins scouts being at different games, and even Shero himself on occasion, or other GM's being at our games.

If he doesn't pick somebody up this deadline, I think you'd have to consider this somewhat of a failure for him considering him missing on Parise (well and really everybody else) this offseason too.
every time I think "he'll do NOTHING", i just remember that something has to be done with the defense. Too many bodies next year. And the year after. And the year after.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:31 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Agreed on all counts. Seems like the timing / opportunity is pretty much perfect.
Add the fact that our team is relatively healthy so there's lots of assets at his disposal to move.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
every time I think "he'll do NOTHING", i just remember that something has to be done with the defense. Too many bodies next year. And the year after. And the year after.
Yeah I keep coming back to that as well. In 2 years or so we'll potentially have (if we keep everybody)...

Letang
Orpik
Martin
Niskanen
Engelland
Despres
Bortuzzo
Dumoulin
Morrow
Samuelsson
Harrington
Ruopp
Pouliot
Maatta
Grant
McNeill
Seymour
+ Our 1st round draft pick of 2013
Then I think they probably would try to sign Sustr, but I doubt they can.

Obviously the greater majority of those guys won't make the big club, but there are just waaay too many defensemen there, and we all know that Bylsma won't play more than one or two rookies in any given season in the first place, so they will probably bring in a veteran or two to round things out.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
leafspensfan

I agree, make a fair hockey trade (or fleece someone, I don't care), and bring in a winger that can legitimately play with Crosby and rack up points.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:42 PM
PensFan68

I just hope the winger(s) he brings in are physical. We really need some toughness in this team.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Signing Nathan Horton in this offseason would be sweet... Especially since we'd acquire him without giving up any assets.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Yeah I keep coming back to that as well. In 2 years or so we'll potentially have (if we keep everybody)...

Letang
Orpik
Martin
Niskanen
Engelland
Despres
Bortuzzo
Dumoulin
Morrow
Samuelsson
Harrington
Ruopp
Pouliot
Maatta
Grant
McNeill
Seymour
+ Our 1st round draft pick of 2013
Then I think they probably would try to sign Sustr, but I doubt they can.

Obviously the greater majority of those guys won't make the big club, but there are just waaay too many defensemen there, and we all know that Bylsma won't play more than one or two rookies in any given season in the first place, so they will probably bring in a veteran or two to round things out.

I agree 100%. Also, some will remain in juniors for another year like Maatta and Pouliot.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:05 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Personally, I'd like Brouwer or Ward. Don't see the Caps dealing either to us
Would love to see Brouwer, but not going to happen. Ward would be an upgrade over TK on the 3rd line, but also at a higher price. Would not go after him.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:15 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Signing Nathan Horton in this offseason would be sweet... Especially since we'd acquire him without giving up any assets.
I'd love it, except we need someone right now. In addition to that, if we signed Horton...

Old
02-24-2013, 03:37 PM
SEALBound

I'm looking at the '13 UFAs...and my panties aren't in too much of a twist for any of them.

The big names we might want are more than likely gonna resign for big so...I don't think we can count on free agency to fix our holes.

My list of guys who I think we should go after are: Clowe, Setoguchi, Kulemin, Clutterbuck, and even ROR.

Clowe is a tough guy presence we can use on a top line and the 3rd line if needed.

Setoguchi provides a good skill set and a good RH shot that we desperately need on a relatively cheap contract.

Kulemin can be a 2nd/3rd line guy that provides the gritty board presence that both Sid and Geno need on their line.

Clutterbuck would instantly make us more physical. Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck would be painful to play against.

ROR is an excellent skillset that we are sorta missing with the departure of Staal. Yes, Sutter is great...but he's not the 2C we need if Sid (or as we are seeing now) or Geno go down.

These are all guys that we can obtain through our 3rd line guys, picks, and prospects. Each of the teams they are on could use what we have as well.

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
ROR-Malkin-Neal
Kulemin-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Clutterbuck

Old
02-24-2013, 03:43 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I'm looking at the '13 UFAs...and my panties aren't in too much of a twist for any of them.

The big names we might want are more than likely gonna resign for big so...I don't think we can count on free agency to fix our holes.

My list of guys who I think we should go after are: Clowe, Setoguchi, Kulemin, Clutterbuck, and even ROR.

Clowe is a tough guy presence we can use on a top line and the 3rd line if needed.

Setoguchi provides a good skill set and a good RH shot that we desperately need on a relatively cheap contract.

Kulemin can be a 2nd/3rd line guy that provides the gritty board presence that both Sid and Geno need on their line.

Clutterbuck would instantly make us more physical. Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck would be painful to play against.

ROR is an excellent skillset that we are sorta missing with the departure of Staal. Yes, Sutter is great...but he's not the 2C we need if Sid (or as we are seeing now) or Geno go down.

These are all guys that we can obtain through our 3rd line guys, picks, and prospects. Each of the teams they are on could use what we have as well.

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
ROR-Malkin-Neal
Kulemin-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Clutterbuck

We can't afford all of them...

Kulemin maybe...but ROR no way

Old
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Agreed on all counts. Seems like the timing / opportunity is pretty much perfect.
Seemed that way last year knowing that Sid was coming back and the team was rolling without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I agree, make a fair hockey trade (or fleece someone, I don't care), and bring in a winger that can legitimately play with Crosby and rack up points.
You never know. Neal may kill it with Crosby and Kunitz. In fact, I expect that to happen. In that case, there will be two holes on the second line to fill.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:59 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Seemed that way last year knowing that Sid was coming back and the team was rolling without him.

You never know. Neal may kill it with Crosby and Kunitz. In fact, I expect that to happen. In that case, there will be two holes on the second line to fill.
Shero'll have to bring in two wingers for sure than

Last edited by leafspensfan: 02-24-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Shero'll have to bring in two wingers for sure that
Well, some of us thought that before the Malkin injury . . .

Old
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

did Sid return before the trade deadline last year? Do you think Shero was confident he'd still be playing a month later after failing to do so earlier in the year? Hell, was he even confident he'd actually be returning? I don't think last year was nearly as perfect timing as you seem to. Sid having a healthy return the first time around would have been a completely different situation imo.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
mpp9

I always liked the idea of Kunitz-Sid-Neal together. I think they'll bring the best out of one another. And hopefully, get Neal a bit more involved away from the puck.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
did Sid return before the trade deadline last year? Do you think Shero was confident he'd still be playing a month later after failing to do so earlier in the year? Hell, was he even confident he'd actually be returning? I don't think last year was nearly as perfect timing as you seem to. Sid having a healthy return the first time around would have been a much better situation.
Shero was quoted several times saying Sid is our deadline acquisition. He most certainly tried to get him another linemate, but obviously wasn't willing to pay the price.

Hopefully that changes this year.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Shero was quoted several times saying Sid is our deadline acquisition. He most certainly tried to get him another linemate, but obviously wasn't willing to pay the price.

Hopefully that changes this year.
right, that's what he said. But I think he'd have been willing to pay a higher price if things were more certain with Sid.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I wanted Horton badly back when he was on the block with the Panthers. Can't believe they got him for a couple picks & Wideman.

I won't keep my hopes up. I think he resigns there.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I wanted Horton badly back when he was on the block with the Panthers. Can't believe they got him for a couple picks & Wideman.

At this point I just assume every UFA is going to re-sign with their current team until I have a reason to believe otherwise. I assume most GM's do the same when planning ahead.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:10 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Shero had far less cap space last year, and prices were insane.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:11 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Well, some of us thought that before the Malkin injury . . .
Yes, but if Malkin plays with the likes of Dupuis and Bennett, he won't get anything going

Old
02-24-2013, 04:12 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

Everyone did, maybe we could squeeze him out of there...or hope he feels like he isn't playing enough and just leave in the summer.

Closed Thread