HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jason Garrison

Old
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
RobertKron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Let's not act like you didn't say it exactly with that intention in the first place.

I think when Mitchell was here, he was our best defenseman after Salo, personally (maybe Edler as he started getting better at the tail end).

Hamhuis has really made his leaving less signicant though. He was great in LA too.

I think we really jumped the gun losing him either way though-- Chicago made him look bad, and then when he could have came in handy against Boston, he wasn't there.

That weird aura has more to do with him being a favorite, not how good people think he is, IMO. Unless you think he's an overrated character as well, which makes more sense to me.

Honestly, I basically agree with most of this, aside from the losing him part. I think Mitchell was really good. I am a Willie Mitchell fan. I just think that there's a lot of stuff that people say about him, and even moreso about him not being here, that is attributed more to him being really likeable than to anything else.

Also, re: the character thing, I do think he's probably overrated in that aspect, but any discussion about that is just going to be feelings and inklings and whatnot, since I'm not in the room. I think he's a very good player, and likely a really good character guy as well. I just think people get more than a bit carried away about him sometimes.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Honestly, I basically agree with most of this, aside from the losing him part. I think Mitchell was really good. I am a Willie Mitchell fan. I just think that there's a lot of stuff that people say about him, and even moreso about him not being here, that is attributed more to him being really likeable than to anything else.

Also, re: the character thing, I do think he's probably overrated in that aspect, but any discussion about that is just going to be feelings and inklings and whatnot, since I'm not in the room. I think he's a very good player, and likely a really good character guy as well. I just think people get more than a bit carried away about him sometimes.
Put off by the gushy love for the guy, I get-- but how does that have anything to do with being overrated?

Being overrated means you think people treat him like a better defenseman then he actually was.

I have to ask-- How good of a defenseman do you think he is, and how good of a defenseman do you think people treat him like? If the two aren't that far apart, then you don't really think he's overrated at all-- and are just annoyed by how well-liked he is.

Nobody treats him like a #1 franchise defenseman or anything, IMO, so I don't really get where you're coming from about that, personally.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:32 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Put off by the gushy love for the guy, I get-- but how does that have anything to do with being overrated?

Being overrated means you think people treat him like a better defenseman then he actually was.

I have to ask-- How good of a defenseman do you think he is, and how good of a defenseman do you think people treat him like? If the two aren't that far apart, then you don't really think he's overrated at all-- and are just annoyed by how well-liked he is.

Nobody treats him like a #1 franchise defenseman or anything, IMO, so I don't really get where you're coming from about that, personally.
I think that people have a higher opinion of his impact, and of the impact of his not being here, than is necessarily merited. I mean, it comes up at least monthly how Gillis made a horrible awful mistake by not giving a contract to a guy that wasn't even skating yet, and how *insert player X* is no good because if only the Canucks could have just kept Mitchell instead.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Seems another Panthers snub dman Kulikov could be on his way to Nucks soon.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Huh?

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
FloydTheBarber

That pass to Hamhuis at the of the PP at the end of the 2nd period.

You cannot blame that on "adjusting" to a system, that was atrocious.

Looks like he's lost on the PP without Campbell.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
timw33

He's been underwhelming for a 4.6M dman so far in his Canuck career. Early though.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:15 PM
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
6 years...

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Tiranis

Was one of the better D-men for the past 5 games before this game but now he's worthless? Really takes one below average game to forget everything around here, doesn't it?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Care to elaborate?

Szechwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:59 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
People focusing far too much on the negatives and not enough on the positives.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
he should not be playing with edler, they both have too slow of a first step

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:13 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner