Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
No thanks.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
I'm on the fence about Richards. He's a great talent, but he doesn't seem to have much heart in the game many times and that makes him just sort of coast around the ice. If it didn't cost us any assets to acquire him, I'd be all over it.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:38 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I posted the update in the injury thread ... and it's not good.

They seem to be rolling the dice that Daley will be healthy ... honestly probably a good bet since that was the projection all along.

Still ... that's worrisome. You'd think a move for some insurance wouldn't cost that much.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
So which forward is the best fill-in defenseman? Also which of the non-top 12 as of last night's game forward would do the best job?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:23 PM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

So, it's...

Dillon
Robidas
Goligoski
Jo. Benn
Oleksiak
Daley (hopefully)

What I imagine we'll see is:

Dillon - Robidas
Goligoski - Daley
Jo. Benn - Oleksiak

Old
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
And yet Gully will probably decide to revert back to two D on the point for the PP.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
BigG44

Well ... they found the 7th D they needed for insurance ... and his name is Carl Sneep.

I thought he's looked good in Texas, but he's not ready for NHL duty. This is basically an emergency situation ... and hopefully he never plays. He needs more AHL time.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
English stars fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Well ... they found the 7th D they needed for insurance ... and his name is Carl Sneep.

I thought he's looked good in Texas, but he's not ready for NHL duty. This is basically an emergency situation ... and hopefully he never plays. He needs more AHL time.
Daley going to IR doesn't sound good, but at least he's on the plane. They must expect him to be able to play Tuesday if not Monday. In which case Sneep likely only plays 1 game with minimal minutes.

I can see Robidas-Dillon being heavily utilised on this back-to-back. Good experience for the youngster I suppose. Good to see him getting nearly 24 mins per night the last few games.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
Daley going to IR doesn't sound good, but at least he's on the plane. They must expect him to be able to play Tuesday if not Monday. In which case Sneep likely only plays 1 game with minimal minutes.

I can see Robidas-Dillon being heavily utilised on this back-to-back. Good experience for the youngster I suppose. Good to see him getting nearly 24 mins per night the last few games.
Daley can come off IR before the game. They didn't have a roster spot to call up Sneep without Daley on IR so this is basically insurance against him waking up and having a set back. If Daley is good to go in the morning, Sneep goes down and Daley comes off IR.

Fraser could also go down, but waiving Wandell wouldn't work. He wouldn't be off the active roster until Tuesday at 11 AM Central.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
And yet Gully will probably decide to revert back to two D on the point for the PP.
With Oleksiak back up, he finally has another D-man capable of playing that position.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
With Oleksiak back up, he finally has another D-man capable of playing that position.
Every defenseman on this team with the exception of Rome is a better PP point option than a forward.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Troy McClure

I'd say the lack of production by the PP disagrees with with.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
I'd say the lack of production by the PP disagrees with with.
Playing 4 forwards was pretty productive last night. I want to see it more to see if it's a trend or an anomoly.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Forwards on the point had nothing to do with the goals that were scored last night. In fact Ryder's goal was mainly due to a defenseman being on the point. They were directly responsible for the 5 on 3 being awful.

The PP production thus far hasn't been great but it can get worse -- and they can start giving up SHGs. Not to mention Whitney and Roy have already played the point to not much success.

Benn is the only one who might be capable of it, and of course he's the one they're not trying.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Troy McClure

Prior 5 on 3s with d-men looked equally terrible, so it's wrong to blame that entirely on forwards being back there.

The power play has been terrible no matter what d-man plays the point, so I give Gully some credit for trying something different. He could have stuck with guys he know can't get the job done back there just like he did last season, and we know how that turned out.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Didn't GMJN have a thing for Eakin too, or something?

Not complaining about that trade at all, just saying I remember seeing somewhere he really wanted Eakin and putting 2 and 2 together, we took a lower pick to get him.
Eakin was heavily scouted by the Stars prior to his draft season. They liked what they saw and kept their eye on him after the draft. I don't know all the ins and outs of the deal and how many teams Nieuwendyk talked to about Ribeiro, but Eakin was definitely a player they felt was worth targeting. I read this in an article somewhat recently, don't recall where though. Based on the early returns for the Stars it made me give credit to management for targeting a player with the exact type of skill set this team needs.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Prior 5 on 3s with d-men looked equally terrible, so it's wrong to blame that entirely on forwards being back there.

The power play has been terrible no matter what d-man plays the point, so I give Gully some credit for trying something different. He could have stuck with guys he know can't get the job done back there just like he did last season, and we know how that turned out.
Dillon is probably the only Dman that has played a useful part on the point.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:52 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I really don't want Brad Richards back. Someone mentioned a noticeable lack of heart/desire in Richards' game at times and I would have to agree. He's a good player, not a great one. He's more of a 75 point guy rather than the 90 point guy he was being labeled (and paid as) during his summer of free agency. 75 point centers don't grow on trees but he's also the variety that seems to rely on the PP for increased point totals than some others, which is all fine and dandy if it helps the team's PP, which hasn't been the case in any of the last 3-4 years; he soaks up PP assists by virtue of being one of the league leaders in PP TOI.

His style just isn't something I have a strong desire to put back on this team, especially not at the price tag he will command. He will be 33 to start next season and was a central figure in the leadership core that takes the blame for failing to make the playoffs basically since he was traded here. Even the season he was brought in the team took a noticeable downward trend to finish out that season.

As far as I'm concerned he was part of the problem as much as any of our other "leaders."

Old
02-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Dillon is probably the only Dman that has played a useful part on the point.
I agree. Goligoski is capable of doing better than he has. Otherwise, the rest of the d-men have little to offer as PP point men. I'm hoping they give Oleksiak a try there. Might as well.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I really don't want Brad Richards back. Someone mentioned a noticeable lack of heart/desire in Richards' game at times and I would have to agree. He's a good player, not a great one. He's more of a 75 point guy rather than the 90 point guy he was being labeled (and paid as) during his summer of free agency. 75 point centers don't grow on trees but he's also the variety that seems to rely on the PP for increased point totals than some others, which is all fine and dandy if it helps the team's PP, which hasn't been the case in any of the last 3-4 years; he soaks up PP assists by virtue of being one of the league leaders in PP TOI.

His style just isn't something I have a strong desire to put back on this team, especially not at the price tag he will command. He will be 33 to start next season and was a central figure in the leadership core that takes the blame for failing to make the playoffs basically since he was traded here. Even the season he was brought in the team took a noticeable downward trend to finish out that season.

As far as I'm concerned he was part of the problem as much as any of our other "leaders."
Blame New York for that. They suck the desire to play out of anyone. I still can't believe he went there, he knew better before but somehow he forgot that big markets are not his kind of place.

I'd take him back. Our powerplay might look decent consistently actually.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Blame New York for that. They suck the desire to play out of anyone.
Oh come on. What kind of baseless comment is that?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
I agree. Goligoski is capable of doing better than he has. Otherwise, the rest of the d-men have little to offer as PP point men. I'm hoping they give Oleksiak a try there. Might as well.
It'd be awesome if he could still shoot like this:

But now it seems like this is the best we can hope for:

Old
02-25-2013, 02:44 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Blame New York for that.
He was like that here, which is why I wasn't particularly keen on bringing him back in the first place.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

After his concussion yeah but before not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Oh come on. What kind of baseless comment is that?
Look at how players players play once they get there. In any sport, unless you get a player who thrives on pressure they often look worse there.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:20 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
After his concussion yeah but before not so much.
Disagree. His effort resembled Arnott's for the better part of his tenure in Dallas; inconsistent at best.

Btw, I think NY has less of an effect on players than it does attract players who are prone to signing big contracts and following that up with less than stellar effort/bad luck.

Closed Thread