Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
02-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Would love this assuming every team comes to wpg every year. That's the key for me here. That leaves 26 games for divisional play. 3 home dates per divisional team. Perfect.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 02-24-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Bad math
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:32 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Would love this assuming every team comes to wpg every year. That's the key for me here. That leaves 26 games for divisional play. 3 home dates per divisional team. Perfect.
Yea I would be happy as long as we get to see every team at the MTS centre every year. Every 2nd year doesn't work because if you have to miss one of those games (or if a star is injurred) it can be 4 years between viewing opportunities. I never liked the old divsional playoff format where we had to see the same teams year in year out in the first two rounds but perhaps in this era of parity it will be less onerous (Oiler dynasty curse anyone).

I love having Chicago and Minnesota in our division but past that I will need to aquire a taste for our rivals.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

If the Jets come to Toronto once per year, I would be happy with that. Every other year would be disappointing. Twice a year gets expensive.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:12 AM
KCjetsfan

this is a dream realignment for me. Chi and StL and Dal and even Nashville are all within a reasonable travel distance for me. And I have family in DAL and Nash. Guess I'm gonna be putting some miles on the car next year if this comes true

KCjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:34 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

This works out reasonably well for me. I get to drive to Nashville for Jets games and openly cheer for Carolina as my 2nd favorite (and catch a few of their games live). Guess I'll have to give up cheering for Chicago though.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Seattle doesn't have a NHL arena for next year though...
Key arena can serve until the new barn is up. They will at least lose way less than PHX does right now, SEA will be willing to pay NHL prices.

I really like this proposal, my favorite matchup in the old Norris days was with St. Louis so this would suit me just fine.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
wow...that would really suck in my opinion.....being the only canadian team not in a conference with any other canadian teams would make us lost in the media hinterland more than we already are....we are already demoted to the 2:00 time slot on saturdays....imagine what this would do.

tough to form a rivalry with giant american cities where the sport is number 5 on the popularity list, and none of their fans could find us on a map, or pronounce the name of our city....the natural rivalries are with canadian cities, where there is some passion for the game....where we have a connection beyond the game on the ice.

the best games are when toronto, montreal, edmonton have come to town because the barn is full of opposing fans.....everyone in winnipeg knows someone in those cities.....remember the games in calgary and vancouver last year?...they were like home games for the jets.....we are intimately connected to those cities......none of that will happen with St. louis or Denver....i doubt many of their fans will be coming up here for games the way people from edmonton did last year.

at least before we had 2 original 6 teams as compensation for being the ugly duckling.....now we dont even get that....all of these hockey night in canada games we get......all the games we get on TSN, sportsnet, will mean nothing to us at all.....how often is there a nashville/dallas game on tv?...how often is there a calgary, edmonton or vancouver game on?.....4-5 times a week?

i was hoping they would at least abandon the 4 conference idea so games all across the west meant something to us in the standings....this year is a perfect example of how games in the other conference mean nothing......i have zero interest in watching all of those games we see because they mean nothing to us.
You are in the minority with this opinion, Truviking. You are not going to get what you want, so deal with it and just enjoy the ride.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather be in a "conference" with more Canadian teams. I don't care about time zones.

The only good news out of this is that we get to see a lot less Columbus compared with the previous proposal...

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:53 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather be in a "conference" with more Canadian teams. I don't care about time zones.

The only good news out of this is that we get to see a lot less Columbus compared with the previous proposal...
Columbus is an up and coming team checkout how many high draft picks they have this year. Teams change and just because a team is bad now doesnt mean they will 5 years from now. Honestly with that way of thinking its not unrealistic to think thats what other teams like St Louis, Chicago could think about us.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Key arena can serve until the new barn is up. They will at least lose way less than PHX does right now, SEA will be willing to pay NHL prices.

I really like this proposal, my favorite matchup in the old Norris days was with St. Louis so this would suit me just fine.
It doesn't really matter if they'll 'lose less' if they don't have a owner willing to buy the team and play them at a huge loss for a year. With the already huge relocation fee it might be hard to get a willing owner.

Edit: wait key arena can seat 15k. Guess I was incorrect about the arena thing.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Huffer

vCash: 958
Did they just discuss the alignment? Did they discuss the playoff structure? I'm more concerned with them going to the Divisional structure than our division. Really don't want to see the divisional playoff format.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Did they just discuss the alignment? Did they discuss the playoff structure? I'm more concerned with them going to the Divisional structure than our division. Really don't want to see the divisional playoff format.
could be completely wrong on this but what i remember was top 4 teams in each conference make it, in the east the 4 and 5 playing each other in a 1 game playoff to determine who makes it in as the #4 in each of the eight team conferences.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
It doesn't really matter if they'll 'lose less' if they don't have a owner willing to buy the team and play them at a huge loss for a year. With the already huge relocation fee it might be hard to get a willing owner.

Edit: wait key arena can seat 15k. Guess I was incorrect about the arena thing.
What about Portland?

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Don't mind a divisional format playoff with 7/8 teams in a division/conference. Should still result in different match ups every playoff (at least for the first round).

Though teams facing off every playoffs creates animosity between the teams and fan bases creating great rivalry's. 23 years later and the bulk of the winnipeg fans still hate the Oilers.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
could be completely wrong on this but what i remember was top 4 teams in each conference make it, in the east the 4 and 5 playing each other in a 1 game playoff to determine who makes it in as the #4 in each of the eight team conferences.
Thanks. And then do the 1 vs. 8, etc format I guess? That would be my preference.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:09 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Thanks. And then do the 1 vs. 8, etc format I guess? That would be my preference.
i believe its 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 between each conference then im not sure how the second round works

Edit: then second round is winner of 1 v 4 vs winner of 2 v 3. Its the 3rd round that im not sure of

Old
02-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
i believe its 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 between each conference then im not sure how the second round works
That's what I was afraid would happen.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:19 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
That's what I was afraid would happen.
yeah same here, if your in a conference with a power house team you could end up facing them every year in the first round haha

Old
02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Toomuts

I think this will be great for the Jets. Get to build a rivalry with Minnesota, build other rivalries through playoff series and play Chicago/Toews six times a year.

Would have been nice to have Detroit in their conference but you can't win them all...

Toomuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Boreal

Dynasties do not happen anymore as a result of the cap - which is a good thing. While you are likely to get a strong team in your conference that is a very tough out for quite some time, there is no team in the NHL that is unbeatable year after year. The problem that existed with the Oilers before will never happen again, providing that the cap is in place. Players are not willing to take enough discounts to build super teams.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
If true, I like that you guys are joining Chicago's conference, but still a pretty sour pill to be losing Detroit.

That being said, picking up a few teams that are likely not playoff bound is at least going to be a temporary plus for us!

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
That being said, picking up a few teams that are likely not playoff bound is at least going to be a temporary plus for us!
Troll

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I love the Jets in a conference where all but one of the teams is in the Central Time Zone.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
You are in the minority with this opinion, Truviking. You are not going to get what you want, so deal with it and just enjoy the ride.
err.....so, puckschmuck, are you saying that only opinions that are in the majority are welcome here?

.....i cant express an opinion without being told deal with it?....really?

can anyone articulate what is better about a 4 conference set up with us being the only canadian team that is alone?.....i havent seen it except that people like going to bed by 9:30 apparently.

you think its tough to attract players to winnipeg now?....give it 5 years of being in the media hinterland.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 02-24-2013 at 10:04 PM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:01 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post

haven't you heard....deal with it and shut up....all games must start at 7:00....

columbus is just replaced by every other team except chicago.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote