HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
So what is the issue with Malkin if he isn't having headaches and disorientation? Is he sitting for precautionary reasons or did he hurt his back? Rossi's terrible reporting combined with how secretive NHL teams are about injuries leads to much confusion.
I suspect that it's precautionary reasons. Simply because he isn't showing concussion symptoms doesn't mean that he might not later, say dizziness when he starts skating again.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

his neck might be really freaking sore too

Old
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsDoors View Post
Rossi nor Yohe bring anything to the table.
between the two of them, they done ate everything on the table.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Rossi just retweeted Dejean's tweet that quotes Bylsma which says Malkin hasn't had any headaches or disorientation as of late, implying that Rossi might have been correct about Malkin's initial symptoms. Problem is that the very next tweet on Dejean's timeline he clarifies what Bylsma said, that Malkin had never experienced any headaches or disorientation at any point. Naturally Rossi 'forgot' to retweet that.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

On the positive side, this might finally get Rossi booted from the locker room once and for all. So there's that.

Then again the Trib gives the Pens tons of sponsorship money so we're probably stuck with him.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
SomeDude

The next "Pens Predictor" text contest should be how many false claims Rossi writes this week. Over/under is at 4.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Rossi just retweeted Dejean's tweet that quotes Bylsma which says Malkin hasn't had any headaches or disorientation as of late, implying that Rossi might have been correct about Malkin's initial symptoms. Problem is that the very next tweet on Dejean's timeline he clarifies what Bylsma said, that Malkin had never experienced any headaches or disorientation at any point. Naturally Rossi 'forgot' to retweet that.
I'm sure it's as natural as Dejean's quoting Bylsma to say 'as of late' when he said no such thing.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
On the positive side, this might finally get Rossi booted from the locker room once and for all. So there's that.

Then again the Trib gives the Pens tons of sponsorship money so we're probably stuck with him.
If the Crosby captaincy article didn't get Dejean booted, then I suspect this latest escapade won't get Rossi booted.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm sure it's as natural as Dejean's quoting Bylsma to say 'as of late' when he said no such thing.
I wonder if it was all by design. Dejean posts a seemingly innocuous quote attributed to Bylsma with a touch of misinformation that Rossi can use on his twitter page to save face. Then Dejean 'clarifies' what DB said and everything is peachy.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
If the Crosby captaincy article didn't get Dejean booted, then I suspect this latest escapade won't get Rossi booted.
The best part of the Crosby article was how Dejean then used the backlash as a badge of honor and claimed responsibility when the team went on that winning streak.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Steer clear of the news network debate guys.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-24-2013, 04:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I wonder if it was all by design. Dejean posts a seemingly innocuous quote attributed to Bylsma with a touch of misinformation that Rossi can use on his twitter page to save face. Then Dejean 'clarifies' what DB said and everything is peachy.
I wouldn't put anything past those two.

That said, my 'guess' on this one is that Malkin was disoriented and that his dead did 'hurt', but perhaps more in a sense as a state of shock than as headaches (as IcedCapp noted, you can go into the boards like that without suffering a concussion).

So, Rossi takes that and says 'Malkin suffering concussion symptoms'. Not inaccurate, mind you. Malkin is suffering concussion symptoms. But, there's an element of sensationalism designed to get people, already with the memory of what happened with Sid fresh in their minds, to assume the worst. And, it is presented in a way that does not remind the reader that nothing is known definitely at this point and that there could be an alternative explanation.

If he's got a concussion, then Rossi's reporting is correct. If he doesn't have a concussion, then Rossi can say 'I said concussion symptoms; I never said concussion and you only inferred that from what I wrote', which is to say he can say that his reporting in this case was not incorrect.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:13 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
The best part of the Crosby article was how Dejean then used the backlash as a badge of honor and claimed responsibility when the team went on that winning streak.
The win in Florida right after it may have been a middle finger to Dejean. The streak, however, started the next game in Tampa. Up 3-0 going into the third. TB ties it within 5 minutes. Then, Geno goes God mode and everyone goes along for the two month or so ride until Sid comes back.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
I wouldn't put anything past those two.

That said, my 'guess' on this one is that Malkin was disoriented and that his dead did 'hurt', but perhaps more in a sense as a state of shock than as headaches (as IcedCapp noted, you can go into the boards like that without suffering a concussion).

So, Rossi takes that and says 'Malkin suffering concussion symptoms'. Not inaccurate, mind you. Malkin is suffering concussion symptoms. But, there's an element of sensationalism designed to get people, already with the memory of what happened with Sid fresh in their minds, to assume the worst. And, it is presented in a way that does not remind the reader that nothing is known definitely at this point and that there could be an alternative explanation.

If he's got a concussion, then Rossi's reporting is correct. If he doesn't have a concussion, then Rossi can say 'I said concussion symptoms; I never said concussion and you only inferred that from what I wrote', which is to say he can say that his reporting in this case was not incorrect.
The problem for Rossi is that he mentioned Malkin having 'severe' headaches, and now Bylsma is saying he didn't have any headaches whatsoever. Don't think there's a way around Rossi looking like a tool here.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Honour Over Glory

Someone care to put the denial part in the FIRST POST...16 pages.

And yeah, this sucks.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-24-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Removed the snark.
Old
02-24-2013, 04:30 PM
KIRK

Quote:
The problem for Rossi is that he mentioned Malkin having 'severe' headaches, and now Bylsma is saying he didn't have any headaches whatsoever. Don't think there's a way around Rossi looking like a tool here.
How about this . . .

Sources may have misinterpreted Malkin. What he said in the moments after the incident is 'my head aches' badly. These sources were not directly involved in the immediate evaluation of Malkin and mistakenly construed 'my head aches' to mean that Malkin was suffering from severe headaches, rather than pain associated with the violent collision with the boards. While there may be some question as to whether Malkin was suffering from headaches or a head that ached after a violent collision with the boards and that part may have been 'lost in translation', it should be noted that (a) Malkin was in fact showing disorientation and other signs that could be interpreted as concussion like symptoms and (b) at no time did I or anyone else suggest that Malkin had in fact suffered a concussion.

Would you really put something like that past that piece of ****?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:30 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
And its a argument thats "curb high" to make, we have all for the most part known Rossi is a complete tool for some time now. So its easy to get behind.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Rossi could have somewhat saved face with those not familiar with his b.s. by saying "Sorry, obviously my source was incorrect and I just reported what I was told. Glad to be wrong in this instance, let's hope Geno is fine and it was just a big misunderstanding." He won't, though.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Honour Over Glory

Nvm, found it on the Pens site about Bylsma saying he has had no headaches. If Malkin comes out and says he had headaches when he is back...it's going to get weird for Bylsma.

In any case, I guess this is good for Geno, maybe he just has whiplash and a sore back at worst.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
You gave the definitive diagnosis of a minimum of 4-6 weeks and let's hope he's healthy for next season.
I never said anything was definitive and repeated multiple times in multiple places the two or three scenarios I thought were not unlikely and prefaced everything I said with the appropriate IFs. And yes pretty much everything I said was based on the words "severe headaches" and "disorientation" which are classic signs of a serious concussion... which we've seen a lot in the NHL the last two years and have some basis for guestimating the minimal amount of time missed (which I suggested was about 2 weeks as a best case scenario, if he does have a concussion).

I made it real clear why I thought that was the case so I'm not going to repeat that stuff. Take it FWIW.

Also, Rossi has no business being a reporter.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
So is he experiencing concussion like symptoms or not? A bunch of different things being said.

Last edited by KareemTrustfund: 02-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

I am actually blocked by him from blasting him throughout the past few years.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Pretty safe to say if he doesn't play today it's pretty serious.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:01 PM
djt153

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Pretty safe to say if he doesn't play today it's pretty serious.
AAA CDO^2 safe

Old
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

If you really think Rossi should be fired, then don't read his stuff. Unfollow him on Twitter. Don't link to any of his articles. Those hits are counted and used to attract advertisers, which is how they make money.

As for this supposed closeness to Malkin, he's writing a book about him. Kind of a tough spot for Malkin, really. If he doesn't consent to be interviewed, then it becomes an unauthorized biography and those aren't always pretty. Rossi went to Moscow over the summer to interview him. And by Rossi's own account, Malkin used a translator, so I guess that's something right there.

Like I said earlier in the thread, recent history shows Rossi doesn't have an inside scoop. Geno got into a Twitter battle with Sports.ru for writing a story based on a Rossi Tweet the day the lock out ended. Sports.ru said they were quoting Rossi and Malkin said they were quoting bull-*****.

So, yeah, while a concussion hasn't been ruled out, Rossi once again has gone full Rossi. Can't we ban links to his stories like we do for hokeyyyyyyyyyyyyyinsiderrrrrrrrr and that ilk?

Closed Thread