HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Making FNC a hard place to play in?

Old
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

vCash: 500
Making FNC a hard place to play in?

As Sabres fans we know that while the Arena gets its 18,690+ a game the intensity ****ing blows in there. Even though the team hasn't been giving us much to cheer for.

What can we do as fans to help improve this? Can we propose initiatives or something? I go to the games and try to get things going and it's like I'm standing there with a penis for a nose and like I have a cone head and I'm too much of a weirdo for people to join me in cheering them on.

Winnepeg has had a DISMAL team as well and the intensity in there is a clear factor in wins. Not so much to the start of this year, but a huge factor last year. They just tend to play for the fans in that Arena.

Can fan participation besides booing really provide help to this team? Maybe so.

Steve Ott even said how cheering is so inspirational. We always talk about how dead it is in there. What can we do? It's embarrassing as a fan. This team doesn't deserve many cheers, but it is almost hypocritical for the fans to say the team has no passion or fire when the fans don't bring any to the table as well.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
As Sabres fans we know that while the Arena gets its 18,690+ a game the intensity ****ing blows in there. Even though the team hasn't been giving us much to cheer for.

What can we do as fans to help improve this? Can we propose initiatives or something? I go to the games and try to get things going and it's like I'm standing there with a penis for a nose and like I have a cone head and I'm too much of a weirdo for people to join me in cheering them on.

Winnepeg has had a DISMAL team as well and the intensity in there is a clear factor in wins. Not so much to the start of this year, but a huge factor last year. They just tend to play for the fans in that Arena.

Can fan participation besides booing really provide help to this team? Maybe so.

Steve Ott even said how cheering is so inspirational. We always talk about how dead it is in there. What can we do? It's embarrassing as a fan. This team doesn't deserve many cheers, but it is almost hypocritical for the fans to say the team has no passion or fire when the fans don't bring any to the table as well.

Ice Girls

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post

they play very boring hockey, don't win and don't work very hard. It's tough to have any excitement at the game, the building if fine when we have a good exciting team like in 05/06/10 and even last year at the end, another thing is the in game experience isn't near as good as other teams, playing good music would be a start.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Just to draw a comparison to supporting my football team, we have a magnificent 52,000 seater stadium, but if you get up and sing you get looked at like you have drowned a bag of kittens. (in certain sections anyway) A couple of years back, I stood up to remonstrate with the referee for a particularly bad decision and felt a tug on my back from behind, turned round and was asked to sit down as the woman behind couldn't see. (I stood up for 20 seconds). I was shocked and apalled, the atmosphere has drained from the gound and its depressing. I save myself for away games now, as the atmosphere amongst the 1000 or so travelling supporters is amazing, constantly singing whatever the result. Today, as we have signed several french players, the club made it a 'French Day' playing the national anthem, loads of garlic and berets etc, and we won 4-2 and the atmosphere was awesome, so maybe initiatives can help
One of the reasons I gravitated towards the Sabres was becauseI heard such positives about the devotion and passion of the fans, something I obviously cant witness first hand, so to hear the atmosphere at FNG is poor is really disappointing.

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:29 PM
VilleLeino

pump crowd noise and hope it catches on

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
RuffTimes

Free beer!

What could go wrong?

RuffTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
drew5580

Been a season ticket holder in the 200s since the place opened. I know how u feel though. I stand up and pace while watching the game and the people around me are more interested in their cell phones. I think we are experiencing the same thing Toronto is only to a much smaller degree. Ticket prices, while average compared to the league, are expensive for an area like Buffalo. This is just an opinion of mine but I think the people that can afford the 200s and a good part of the 100s just aren't the stand up and scream types. The atmosphere suffers. If tickets were $20, you'd have a ton of college kids in there drinking and chanting and being loud.

drew5580 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:35 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
Just to draw a comparison to supporting my football team, we have a magnificent 52,000 seater stadium, but if you get up and sing you get looked at like you have drowned a bag of kittens. (in certain sections anyway) A couple of years back, I stood up to remonstrate with the referee for a particularly bad decision and felt a tug on my back from behind, turned round and was asked to sit down as the woman behind couldn't see. (I stood up for 20 seconds). I was shocked and apalled, the atmosphere has drained from the gound and its depressing. I save myself for away games now, as the atmosphere amongst the 1000 or so travelling supporters is amazing, constantly singing whatever the result. Today, as we have signed several french players, the club made it a 'French Day' playing the national anthem, loads of garlic and berets etc, and we won 4-2 and the atmosphere was awesome, so maybe initiatives can help
One of the reasons I gravitated towards the Sabres was becauseI heard such positives about the devotion and passion of the fans, something I obviously cant witness first hand, so to hear the atmosphere at FNG is poor is really disappointing.
Exactly, people complain that the team sucks, but its the fans that are mostly the problem. There's just a tons of people there who want to sit on their ass all game long sipping $9 labatt blue's.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
Been a season ticket holder in the 200s since the place opened. I know how u feel though. I stand up and pace while watching the game and the people around me are more interested in their cell phones. I think we are experiencing the same thing Toronto is only to a much smaller degree. Ticket prices, while average compared to the league, are expensive for an area like Buffalo. This is just an opinion of mine but I think the people that can afford the 200s and a good part of the 100s just aren't the stand up and scream types. The atmosphere suffers. If tickets were $20, you'd have a ton of college kids in there drinking and chanting and being loud.
nothing irritates me more than people at the game who have no interest being there, playing on their cell phones ect..

Old
02-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Afino
The Juice

NO MORE ****ING KISS CAM AND STUPID BLOOPER REELS!

/Harrington

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Exactly, people complain that the team sucks, but its the fans that are mostly the problem. There's just a tons of people there who want to sit on their ass all game long sipping $9 labatt blue's.
you don't need to yell and scream to enjoy a good hockey game, when I watch a game I observe as much as I can for the on ice performance and rarely make much noise, doesn't mean I am less off a fan that the guy beside me yelling Vanek is lazy all game.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:41 PM
TragicallySabres

I couldn't agree more. The last game I attended was when Toronto was in town. The Leafs fans clearly outcheered our section. My friend and I were honestly the only Sabres fans cheering. About three minutes into the second period, the usher came over to tell me that some of the surrounding fans complained about my rowdy behavior and language. Language? Fine, I totally understand. But rowdy behavior? It's a Sabres vs Leafs game. If you're not there to cheer and support the team, why spend your money? It's incredibly embarrassing to hear how frequently dead silent it is in that arena, although I understand it's difficult to cheer when the team is playing so poorly. But to get outcheered by opposing fans....

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Squantosawuss

First of all, the FNC is already a difficult place to play....for the Sabres.

I'll tell you what the problem really is.....

Many of those in-arena fans are NOT long-term hockey fans. They became major bandwagoners back during the '05-'06 run, and success came easy. Think about it: Ten years ago, that place was half-empty. Suddenly, the team took off after the '04-'05 lockout and all the social posers just HAD to be at the game, seen at the game---even better, season ticket holders! Now THAT was status!

So they started with an exciting team that went to the ECF two years in-a-row. Now they're like WTF? It's only a matter of time before that crazy-inflated season ticket waiting list dwindles.

Real hockey fans don't root based on the teams record. This in-arena fan base mostly does.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 02-24-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Royisgone

It's a bit of a Catch-22, isn't it?

On the one hand, the crowd noise would come if the team was exciting and ultra competitive. The flip side is that crazy enthusiastic fan support would help motivate the team to play better.

A number of Sabres have directly commented on this, wishing for more crowd noise and fan support at home games. Ott and very recently, Vanek immediatley come to mind.

My perception from the outside is that going to a Sabres game has become "the thing to do" among a certain contingent in the crowd, as was alluded to above.

I'ts like not everyone there actually wants to see hockey. Of those who do, you have a bunch who don't want to cheer and get crazy to support the team as it's not their style.

The actual hockey fans present who want to make noise are in the severe minority.

You're left with what we have: one of the worst atmospheres in the league.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Royisgone

There is hope: it can get loud in that building.

I was in it for Game 7 in 1997, when Plante scored the OT winner against Ottawa.

That remains the greatest sporting event atmosphere I have ever witnessed in person.

Others must have been there for that. The crowd noise was insane. There was a decent contingent of Senators fans in the building, and the entire thing took on a nationalistic tone at some point, with it being USA vs. Canada.

I clearly remember the jumbo-tron showing an animation of an American flag waving, and the crowd was chanting "U-S-A" as though it was an Olympic game.

The intensity, passion, and raw volume in that place on that night was off the charts insane.

My point is can get a heck of a lot better than what it's been. So there is hope.

Last edited by Royisgone: 02-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
There is hope: it can get loud in that building.

I was in it for Game 7 in 2007, when Plante scored the OT winner against Ottawa.

That remains the greatest sporting event atmosphere I have ever witnessed in person.

Others must have been there for that. The crowd noise was insane. There was a decent contingent of Senators fans in the building, and the entire thing took on a nationalistic tone at some point, with it being USA vs. Canada.

I clearly remember the jumbo-tron showing an animation of an American flag waving, and the crowd was chanting "U-S-A" as though it was an Olympic game.

The intensity, passion, and raw volume in that place on that night was off the charts insane.

My point is can get a heck of a lot better than what it's been. So there is hope.
Not to nitpick...but Plante?

Unless you meant '97?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Prospero
Rookie User

Seems like the obvious solution is for someone to reward fans for cheering louder. Maybe money giveaways for loudest fan I need to get in on the loot, while the gettin' is good.

Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TragicallySabres View Post
I couldn't agree more. The last game I attended was when Toronto was in town. The Leafs fans clearly outcheered our section. My friend and I were honestly the only Sabres fans cheering. About three minutes into the second period, the usher came over to tell me that some of the surrounding fans complained about my rowdy behavior and language. Language? Fine, I totally understand. But rowdy behavior? It's a Sabres vs Leafs game. If you're not there to cheer and support the team, why spend your money? It's incredibly embarrassing to hear how frequently dead silent it is in that arena, although I understand it's difficult to cheer when the team is playing so poorly. But to get outcheered by opposing fans....
This is exactly the type of thing happening here in football games, home fans complaining about other home fans and getting threatened with being thrown out from over zealous stewrds! I will always associate going to a sporting event lke football/hockey and singing, standing and cheering. Thats what its all about.

The price of ice hockey tickets/merchandise is eye watering. Couldnt believe it when I started looking at the cost. Lower prices, get some students etc in and get the place pumping.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
First of all, the FNC is already a difficult place to play....for the Sabres.

I'll tell you what the problem really is.....

Many of those in-arena fans are NOT long-term hockey fans. They became major bandwagoners back during the '05-'06 run, and success came easy. Think about it: Ten years ago, that place was half-empty. Suddenly, the team took off after the '04-'05 lockout and all the social posers just HAD to be at the game, seen at the game---even better, season ticket holders! Now THAT was status!

So they started with an exciting team that went to the ECF two years in-a-row. Now they're like WTF? It's only a matter of time before that crazy-inflated season ticket waiting list dwindles.

Real hockey fans don't root based on the teams record. This in-arena fan base mostly does.
Again very similar to whats happened at my football club. Had some success in the early to mid 90s and we were seen as the team to support, and a season ticket was the ultimate must have item no matter how long you supported the team. unfortunately real fans suffered and missed out. now they keep their tickets in case good times return, but sit on their phones, having a moan at players, when they clearly have no clue what they are talking about. Really interesting comparison.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
you don't need to yell and scream to enjoy a good hockey game, when I watch a game I observe as much as I can for the on ice performance and rarely make much noise, doesn't mean I am less off a fan that the guy beside me yelling Vanek is lazy all game.
Oh it's one of you people.

I observe and also cheer for the team. If you want to sit on your ass in silence there's a place for that: in your house. Or at a bar.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Everyone complaining about how boring the fans are should post where they're season tickets are so that we can look toward your seats next game for an example of how crazy we're supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
It's a bit of a Catch-22, isn't it?

On the one hand, the crowd noise would come if the team was exciting and ultra competitive. The flip side is that crazy enthusiastic fan support would help motivate the team to play better.
I totally agree with this. However... it should be easier to coordinate 20 guys to play with energy and fire the crowd up than to coordinate 19,000 people to get rowdy and fire a team up. It needs to start with the on-ice product.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
MayDay

The fans at the game pay through the nose for the right to be there. They can enjoy the game however they want.

If the atmosphere at the arena is bad, maybe, just maybe, it's because the team is an embarrassing pile of crap, plays a boring system and style of play, plays without heart or effort, make the same boneheaded mistakes game after game, duck hits and shy away from physical play, lose pretty much every puck battle, and seem constitutionally incapable of putting in three consecutive periods of honest effort. Maybe that's a bit difficult to get loud and excited about.

Maybe the lack of atmosphere should be blamed less on the people who shell out tons of money to watch a hockey game, and more on the people who are paid millions of dollars primarily to give them something to get excited about, and yet continually and completely fail to do so.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:02 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
The fans at the game pay through the nose for the right to be there. They can enjoy the game however they want.

If the atmosphere at the arena is bad, maybe, just maybe, it's because the team is an embarrassing pile of crap, plays a boring system and style of play, plays without heart or effort, make the same boneheaded mistakes game after game, duck hits and shy away from physical play, lose pretty much every puck battle, and seem constitutionally incapable of putting in three consecutive periods of honest effort. Maybe that's a bit difficult to get loud and excited about.

Maybe the lack of atmosphere should be blamed less on the people who shell out tons of money to watch a hockey game, and more on the people who are paid millions of dollars primarily to give them something to get excited about, and yet continually and completely fail to do so.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Prospero
Rookie User

Good Man, Mayday!

Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Its more the looks that you get off people when you do chant thats the worst thing. Fair enough, if you want to sit quietly then fine, but dont look at the people attempting to stir up the atmosphere like they're idiots.