NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Not to mention that Cam Barker is 81 overall, better than all our defensemen not named Suter or Gilbert.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:14 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Not to mention that Cam Barker is 81 overall, better than all our defensemen not named Suter or Gilbert.
This was going to be my next post. 4 star potential!

Old
02-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Just downloaded the roster update. Funny how Kuemper is with the Wild but not Brodin.

Typical EA.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Oh, that's very clever. I never managed to grow big enough of a city to justify building a subway, but... I still did it anyway. Good times, and flat broke cities.
Well, when you can build a subway depends on if you are using the Network Addon Mod or not. With the mod you should probably wait until you have about 150-200k people and a few thousand dollars a month in surplus AND a couple hundred thousand to throw down on installing the system to begin with.

Without the mod, the numbers are a bit lower because the maintenance costs are a lot lower, but at the same time the default maxis traffic simulator makes pretty much every sim a car driving snob who will bypass congestion free subways that will get him across town in minutes in favor of a congested street that will force him to take almost an hour to get to work. So the ridership will be much much less, meaning a lot less income from fares.

And do you still have some of your old, almost bankrupt cities? I could take a look at a few and tell you what you were doing wrong, because it really is pretty simple to at least break even in Sim City 4. Hell, it's become so instinctive for me at this point that I hit a million bucks in cash in only a few years on a new city I started a few days ago, and I took the mods out and played it vanilla until I could not stand it anymore (which was up until tonight, when I just got too damned fed up with commute time abandonment to want to continue. Population at modding: 875,000)

Old
02-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Time to start saving money for Playstation 4...

Old
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I bought PS3 five years after it came out, so maybe I'll get the PS4 in 2018?

Really though I hope the price of PS3 games just comes crashing down, I still have a ton to play.

(he says while playing a PS1 game from 2000)

Old
02-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well, when you can build a subway depends on if you are using the Network Addon Mod or not. With the mod you should probably wait until you have about 150-200k people and a few thousand dollars a month in surplus AND a couple hundred thousand to throw down on installing the system to begin with.

Without the mod, the numbers are a bit lower because the maintenance costs are a lot lower, but at the same time the default maxis traffic simulator makes pretty much every sim a car driving snob who will bypass congestion free subways that will get him across town in minutes in favor of a congested street that will force him to take almost an hour to get to work. So the ridership will be much much less, meaning a lot less income from fares.

And do you still have some of your old, almost bankrupt cities? I could take a look at a few and tell you what you were doing wrong, because it really is pretty simple to at least break even in Sim City 4. Hell, it's become so instinctive for me at this point that I hit a million bucks in cash in only a few years on a new city I started a few days ago, and I took the mods out and played it vanilla until I could not stand it anymore (which was up until tonight, when I just got too damned fed up with commute time abandonment to want to continue. Population at modding: 875,000)
Thanks for the tips. I haven't really played Sim City 4 in ages, and since I bought a new PC in August, I don't even have SC4 installed so no city files there.

I must say, most likely I was just sucking at actual city planning and longevity.

I need to get back to Sim City sometime though. If I found time to play Civ V for about 6 hours in a row after staying up all night, I will find time for SC.

Do you play Civ V btw? Or any driving games?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I haven't really played Sim City 4 in ages, and since I bought a new PC in August, I don't even have SC4 installed so no city files there.

I must say, most likely I was just sucking at actual city planning and longevity.

I need to get back to Sim City sometime though. If I found time to play Civ V for about 6 hours in a row after staying up all night, I will find time for SC.

Do you play Civ V btw? Or any driving games?
No Civilization games. I have a couple older Need for Speed games.. Hot Pursuit 1 and 2, high stakes..one other one I think. But nothing modern.

And as far as city planning goes, the early stages is all about managing your expenses until you have a surplus. That means skimping on services early on. In fact, when I start my first city in a new region, the only thing it gets right off the bat are a coal power plant and a small fire station. Schools don't come until the large schools are unlocked and I can zero out their bus funding to save cash (large schools have a very large bus radius even with zero funding towards them), and hospitals come even later.

I also plan for eventual mass transit possibilities at the start, deciding on if I want to go subways only, or if I want to use rail or monorail in the mix as well. The latter determines my grid size. 7x13 for subway only, and 8x14 for either of the rails. Regardless, in one corner of each block, I leave at least 3 blank spaces. One for a bus stop, one for a subway, and one for a bribe (small flower garden for residential, small plaza for commercial, and whatever I feel like for high tech industrial).

The bus stops get installed pretty early, usually as soon as I start getting multiple congestion messages, or 30,000 people, whichever comes first.

In addition, I try to lay down my first high capacity roadway soon after starting, usually an avenue, but lately I am becoming partial to the 5 lane turning lane avenue that comes with the NAM's additional Network Widening Mod, because it just annihilates congestion like nobodys business. Later on I decide where I want to put any highways.

And in addition to the NAM, I would recommend a couple of other mods that fix some bugs, like the Opera House bug, a mod called Crime Doesn't Pay that makes overlapping police coverage actually worth it by knocking out another bug, and a couple of informational mods like a census building, enhanced graph mods and data view mods, and an enhanced query window mod.

Additionally, one other mod that is optional but not considered a cheat is the industry doubler mod, which...doubles the jobs available in industry buildings, since a giant oil refinery comes with a jokingly low 30 jobs, meaning you need to zone a whole medium tile to get a whole 50,000 jobs out of it. Industry doubler is vital, in my opinion.

I also use a larger hospital. Comes with 8,000 patient capacity for for $3,000 instead of a standard hospitals 1,000. Same ambulance funding and radius. It really cuts down on the need for them in larger cities, where I would often need 8 or more of the "large" medical centers in my densest areas. Totally ridiculous. I checked, and my city with 3,100,000 people has more hospitals than New York City. And they are all FULL, including the Disease Research Center that you get as a gift a few hospitals in and has an insane capacity.

So yeah, a couple mods to cut out the ridiculous underpoweerd aspect of a couple things here and there helps too.

And finally, I like to use a helicopter silencer mod, because without it I simply can not stand to use the Deluxe police stations because then all I ever hear is that damned chopper spinning all over the place, even when on pause. So yeah, all that mod does is tell the helicopter to shut the hell up.

Anyway, just ask me if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help out.

Oh, and dont forget to set the games processor affinity to only use one core. Sim City 4 does NOT play nice with multiple cores.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Kershaw

Can someone tell me where I can find a list of Wild prospect ratings/potential for NHL13? Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of the game and I'm interested to see how they're ranked for the Rangers board GM game. Especially Granlund. Would appreciate any help.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

99 Overall Crosby all this week in HUT. I think there's been two of them pulled already. Pull one of those babies and you're set for life if you sell it.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Incredibly long and thoughtful post about SC4
Thank you for all the tips. I'll make sure to read it again when I get back to Sim City. The processor trick should do wonders, because frankly the game runs like crap even on some modern PC:s.

Now I just need to download the game again and find the mods.

Also, been playing quite a lot of rFactor recently. I drove a 45 minute race in 1970s Kyalami circuit with the Ford/Lotus Cortina. My rivals were from the same class, essentially Cortinas, Austin Mini's ranging from 1000 to 1300cc engines, a couple of Lotus Elans and even the odd Jag or two. Total of 44 opponents.

After 24 laps of trying to control the hilariously fun and slide-prone Cortina while dodging lapped cars and battling the Mini 1250 that was slower than me on the straight line but much faster in the corners, I won by 8 seconds.

I think it was possibly one of the greatest sim offline races I've ever had.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Granlund 64

It will be interesting to see if the PS4 is really 50% more powerful that the new Xbox.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Double pucks all weekend in HUT and double XP all weekend on Black Ops 2. Gonna relax and get some good gaming in today.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Thank you for all the tips. I'll make sure to read it again when I get back to Sim City. The processor trick should do wonders, because frankly the game runs like crap even on some modern PC:s.

Now I just need to download the game again and find the mods.
Well they are releasing the latest version of the Network Addon Mod on march first, so there's a good excuse to download that and give SC4 a try.

And the game still brings systems to their knees after all these years. All those traffic calculations are just lethal.

That big city I keep talking about freezes on one date for about a minute every couple of months as it recalculates everyones route to work. Seems like once a city gets above about 500k or so it starts to really slow down.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Spent 75k in pucks this morning and bought three of those value packs. First two were crap but the third one was good to me.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Anyone into RTS games? I used to love games like Age of Empires or Mythology as well as the Stronghold series. Anyone know of more modern games similar in style to these?

Old
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Granlund 64

I played Starcraft/Warcraft for my RTS type games.

The new Starcraft comes out soon.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Anyone into RTS games? I used to love games like Age of Empires or Mythology as well as the Stronghold series. Anyone know of more modern games similar in style to these?
I played the original SC and SC2 when it came out. I was gonna try to get good at multiplayer and see if I could get out of the bronze league, but then my hard drive died on this machine and I didnt fix it for 9 months so my interest vanished. Maybe when I pick up heart of the swarm I'll give the leagues another shot.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I remember playing SimCity until sunrise in middle/high school. Can't do it now. Don't have the attention span.

Plants vs Zombies was free this week on iPhone and it's really fun. I like games that take 5-10 minutes to play.

Might play some FF9 now.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
I've been playing Letterpress on iOS. Pretty fun word game.

Last edited by Minnesota: 02-25-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Started a new city today. My goal for this one is 1.5-2 Million residents, high and medium wealth mixed.

My 3.1 million city is low and medium mixed, and I have 2.2 million city that has all three, and a 1.06 city that is nothing but high wealth.

My region population just exceeded 15,000,000.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Fel 96
JFC

I've finally finished my lineup for good.

Parise - Koivu - Seto (SOTW)
Bouchard (LW position) - Backes - Heatley (RW position)
Wheeler (LW position) - Stepan - Clutterbuck (SOTW)
Mitchell (LW position) - Brodziak - Okposo

Scratches: Cullen, Konopka, Latendresse, Palmieri

Suter - Ekman-Larsson (Assistant; he's my Brodin in HUT)
Goligoski - E. Johnson
McDonagh (Playing with OEL in special units) - Gilbert

Scratches: Alzner, Ballard, Spurgeon

Backstrom
Harding (SOTW)

All Wild cards and 98% team chemistry. I have about 106k pucks now.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I've finally finished my lineup for good.

Parise - Koivu - Seto (SOTW)
Bouchard (LW position) - Backes - Heatley (RW position)
Wheeler (LW position) - Stepan - Clutterbuck (SOTW)
Mitchell (LW position) - Brodziak - Okposo

Scratches: Cullen, Konopka, Latendresse, Palmieri

Suter - Ekman-Larsson (Assistant; he's my Brodin in HUT)
Goligoski - E. Johnson
McDonagh (Playing with OEL during special units) - Gilbert

Scratches: Alzner, Ballard, Spurgeon

Backstrom
Harding (SOTW)

All Wild cards and 98% team chemistry.
Nice. I keep changing my line-up so darn much I hardly ever get a chance to play a game. Gonna stop playing for a while now and just sell almost all my cards, hopefully get at least 800-900k for all of them, then buy a whole new team that I'll never change. Don't wanna make it too stacked though because ice tilt will make your superstar team play down to a scrub team's level. The only things I know I'll be using on my new team is a 2nd/3rd forward line (depending on who else I decide to use) of Gagne - Duchene (got him for a steal at 2.5k a week after the game came out) - Kessel (got him from one of my very first free packs) and a 3rd d pairing of Kulikov (again, free pack) and Shattenkirk. They're such a perfect pairing. Very similar height and weight, exact same salary and near identical stats. Both good skaters at 87 Skating too.

Out of curiosity though would you upgrade to a SOTW version of a player you have on your team if they came out with one? For instance, would you upgrade to a SOTW Bouchard if he ever came out? I doubt he'd be too expensive. Maybe 20k.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Out of curiosity though would you upgrade to a SOTW version of a player you have on your team if they came out with one? For instance, would you upgrade to a SOTW Bouchard if he ever came out? I doubt he'd be too expensive. Maybe 20k.
Of course I would but I doubt it will happen.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Of course I would but I doubt it will happen.
Yeah the only ones I see having a chance of becoming a SOTW are Koivu and Backstrom, possibly Heatley too if he somehow manages to score a hat trick one game and maybe another two goal game in a week. SOTW Parise is way too damn expensive. SOTW Gilbert would be a pretty sweet card if he ever got one.

Closed Thread