HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetical Scenario: Bonk to Minors

Old
07-16-2006, 03:50 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I haven't read the new CBA, so to those that know it: what happens if Bonk's sent to the AHL? I know he'd go through waivers, but does his contract count against the cap?

In NJ, one method they used to circumvent their cap issues was by sending Dan McGillis down to the AHL. Because he's under 35 (I believe), his contract didn't count against their cap (again, I believe). On the other hand, Mogilny and Malakhov's contracts did count against the cap because they were over 35 when they signed their respective deals.
It's been mentionned that players over 35 full salary will count against the cap when waived (can't be bought out ) but also when they retire, wich is really what Malakhov did.

On another note even losing a player on re-entry waiver (50% of salary cap hit) is still better than buying him out (66% of money paid but 33% of salary cap hit over twice the years) if you want to save money but you lose a bit of cap space.

That being said no one wanted NJ players even on re-entry waivers because you are stuck with his full contract after paying him at 50% for ther current year.
Bonk could get a 4-5th rounder any day.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It's a long shot, but it's an example. Teams do gut their core and trade decent players. I wouldn't have minded Demitra on this Montreal team, for example, and how expensive was he, really?
I dunno, maybe I'm too much of a hfboardsprospektnik, but... Latendresse and our Fischer pick (when it was #16 so no Carle either) for Demitra? No thanks. Maybe we actually can't buy a Demitra-like player on the UFA market for $4.5M (just because nobody seems to want to sign here). But we did get a poor-man's version in Samsonov as a freebie. I'd keep panning the river for the Samsonovs before I'd deal my Latendresse/Fischer/Carle package for a Demitra.

Anyway, just a couple more months and probably Bonk will be leading the NHL pre-season scoring race, and we'll all be on fire with expectations for the havoc he'll wreak centering Kovalev and Samsonov, on his way to a 70-pt season and a total vindication of his salary. Then we'll all sit back and laugh about the good ol' days when we wondered about the implications of demoting him to the minors to dodge his cap hit.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 04:13 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
You are of course right. The point is that the possibility is there for a quality player to be dumped. Boston went through a complete overhaul last season, gutting the (intriguing) core of Thornton, Samsonov, and Boynton ... what happens if Phoenix, a team that's got a revolving door, has spent money this season, but in such a mind-boggling fashion (loading up on right defensemen, for one), completely fails to produce? They may decide to gut their team in similar fashion.

It's a long shot, but it's an example. Teams do gut their core and trade decent players. I wouldn't have minded Demitra on this Montreal team, for example, and how expensive was he, really?

The point is just knowing that there's a viable option for Montreal to quickly cut the pro team's payroll should an opportunity arise for the club to make some serious improvements; not of the Sykora variety.
That's only because Bonk's value is a bit higher because of his playoff performance. If we start the season with him and he's terrible again, nobody will take him.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
The only way he returns to "Ottawa form" is if we go get Marian Hossa so he can pass the puck to him and let him do all the work.

Sorry, but I can't stand the guy. If he played like he did in the playoffs all year, that would be different. But he won't and you know it.
I understand you don't like him but come on, Bonk has talent, and he would play with Kovalev instead of Hossa. The guy has some pride, he saw how awful he was playing last year and turned things around before the end of the season. I would give him a shot between Kovalev and Samsonov and see what he can bring after such an awful year. After a full year of being a shutdown guy, if he can come back to his 60-70 pts Ottawa shape he could be awesome for the habs this year. He could be that big second line 2-way center we are after.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
That's only because Bonk's value is a bit higher because of his playoff performance. If we start the season with him and he's terrible again, nobody will take him.
I have no idea why you chose to quote me when you said this. I'm not exactly sure what you're responding to at all, actually. Perhaps sXe's post?

Blind Guardian: you're taking me too literally with my examples. The point is that Montreal has options and can be flexible with the cap a little more than is perhaps visible.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 05:32 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Blind Guardian: you're taking me too literally with my examples. The point is that Montreal has options and can be flexible with the cap a little more than is perhaps visible.
Yep, it could be with Kovalev or Huet if they start to suck hard. Or whoever else in the future ?

Just to clear this point is interesting.

I didn't read the CBA (my mistake), but I was under the impression, based on Mogilny & Malakhov's story, that, in fact, any one way contract signed by a NHL team was counting against their cap, wherever the player was actually playing.

It's good to clarify this point, and know what options we have in the future.

Gainey seems to manage his cap space quite well though, for now and for the coming years.

My main concern is now to sign Markov to a new contract as soon as possible.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I reserve the right to take people literally on message boards. (But I acknowledge I'm exercising that right with my smilies. ).

Old
07-16-2006, 08:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Bonk will be gone after next season.. For now, he will be our 4th line center with maybe some shifts on top lines depending how he is doing...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Bonk will be gone after next season.. For now, he will be our 4th line center with maybe some shifts on top lines depending how he is doing...
That's pretty much what we were saying about Huet last year...

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 10:50 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I reserve the right to take people literally on message boards. (But I acknowledge I'm exercising that right with my smilies. ).
Your sig make me have headache

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Your sig make me have headache
What a Tragedy. Sorry!

Old
07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
I understand you don't like him but come on, Bonk has talent, and he would play with Kovalev instead of Hossa. The guy has some pride, he saw how awful he was playing last year and turned things around before the end of the season. I would give him a shot between Kovalev and Samsonov and see what he can bring after such an awful year. After a full year of being a shutdown guy, if he can come back to his 60-70 pts Ottawa shape he could be awesome for the habs this year. He could be that big second line 2-way center we are after.
Also it bears remembering that he was playing with a strained groin right up until the Olympic break. Oce the leg healed he was skating better and his play improved. He may not have been the scorer he was in Ottawa, but he was still an overall improvement on Yanic Perrault.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote