HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 05:17 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Shero had far less cap space last year, and prices were insane.
Yes, they were.

It also was a perfect storm not unlike 2008.

Sid out with an injury. Malkin takes team on back. He's killing it. The only things this team needs are (a) two wingers for Sid and (b) a tough veteran defenseman.

In 2008, Shero gave it all up to make it happen. In 2011, Shero stood pat.

I'm sure he tried to do something, and I'm not being sarcastic in saying that. But, he completely struck out. No Plan A. No Plan B. No Plan C. Heck, not even a plan N.

Now, I know there was less certainty with Sid coming back from the concussion than the high ankle sprain, but there was no saying when he'd come back 100% or even if he'd come back 100% in 2008 either.

BTW, lest I forget, that 'Sid coming back will be my best deadline deal' . . . Shero used that exact same line until deadline day 2008 too.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I think this year is different. He has the space. He has the assets. Plenty of teams look ******. Just gotta be patient.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yes, they were.

It also was a perfect storm not unlike 2008.

Sid out with an injury. Malkin takes team on back. He's killing it. The only things this team needs are (a) two wingers for Sid and (b) a tough veteran defenseman.

In 2008, Shero gave it all up to make it happen. In 2011, Shero stood pat.

I'm sure he tried to do something, and I'm not being sarcastic in saying that. But, he completely struck out. No Plan A. No Plan B. No Plan C. Heck, not even a plan N.

Now, I know there was less certainty with Sid coming back from the concussion than the high ankle sprain, but there was no saying when he'd come back 100% or even if he'd come back 100% in 2008 either.

BTW, lest I forget, that 'Sid coming back will be my best deadline deal' . . . Shero used that exact same line until deadline day 2008 too.
I think it's a little ridiculous to ignore the differences in these two cases. At least with the high ankle sprain there was a pretty defined timeline for Sid's return and at least it was essentially guaranteed that he would be back.

Last season, nobody probably knew for sure if Crosby wouldn't suffer some sort of setback, especially after one failed comeback.

I agree that it was tough seeing Shero stay pat at the deadline, but honestly people are blowing last year's first round loss out of proportion. What I saw was a team that allowed their rival to get under their skin and who then proceeded to play an incredibly undisciplined series. Were there maybe some signs in the regular season of them being sloppy down the stretch but winning anyway? Sure.

But people also like to forget that for a time everybody was all but ceding the Cup to this team last season. I agree that this team probably needs two top six wingers or one really good one to be called the prohibitive favorite heading into the postseason.

But really, the playoffs are a crapshoot more often than not and I don't think that the pessimism I've seen on these boards recently is warranted. All it takes is making it in and hitting stride as the playoffs begin plus a few fortunate occurrences to wind up the Cup champions. LA last year barely made the playoffs last year but dominated everyone they faced. You never know.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
I think this year is different. He has the space. He has the assets. Plenty of teams look ******. Just gotta be patient.
How patient can we be?

Old
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
How patient can we be?
At least until the deadline. I'm sure that Shero is looking to make a move, and I would be incredibly surprised if he doesn't bring in at least one top six winger.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
At least until the deadline. I'm sure that Shero is looking to make a move, and I would be incredibly surprised if he doesn't bring in at least one top six winger.
by definition, the deadline is the latest we can wait I think we can safely stop being patient at that point

Old
02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
by definition, the deadline is the latest we can wait I think we can safely stop being patient at that point
Exactly. If nothing happens by the deadline, we won't stop being patient, we'll be rioting on these boards.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
Deadline leaves no room for adjustments if things are still not clicking. Deadline is for depth not your main fixes to your problems.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Deadline leaves no room for adjustments if things are still not clicking. Deadline is for depth not your main fixes to your problems.
a lot less teams are willing to deal this early though. teams that still want to make the playoffs aren't selling yet

Old
02-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Honour Over Glory

I am noticing that Okposo is falling out of favor with the Islanders, would love to get him while his value isn't all that high, he's a guy that would look insane on Sid's RW. I wouldn't mind losing the 1st for him.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

i'm kind of surprised that Buffalo fans are so amenable to Pominville for Määttä + TK + 1st. RW, RHS, fairly consistent production, leadership, 30 years old.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
a lot less teams are willing to deal this early though. teams that still want to make the playoffs aren't selling yet
There are teams that won't already, and there're players being made available.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:32 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Exactly. If nothing happens by the deadline, we won't stop being patient, we'll be rioting on these boards.
The point is that I personally won't freak out unless Shero stands pat at the deadline. I agree with the sentiment that others have expressed that the cap space and the assets are available to make a splash whether it is at or ahead of the deadline.

Quote:
I agree that if you can make a deal before the deadline that would be preferable, but at the end of the day if Shero brings in say Iginla at the deadline I won't be complaining. But if it's just some depth wingers for mid round picks then, yeah I would be a little disappointed.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:34 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i'm kind of surprised that Buffalo fans are so amenable to Pominville for Määttä + TK + 1st. RW, RHS, fairly consistent production, leadership, 30 years old.
Him and Okposo, those two are quite attractive options on Sid's wing. We wouldn't be able to afford them both, but hey, we can dream right.

Kunitz-Sid-Okposo
Neal-Geno-Pominville

Old
02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
I think this year is different. He has the space. He has the assets.

Listennn... Ray JEAN.... I want you to really get in there and own the space. I mean it. Explore the space!

Old
02-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I am noticing that Okposo is falling out of favor with the Islanders, would love to get him while his value isn't all that high, he's a guy that would look insane on Sid's RW. I wouldn't mind losing the 1st for him.
I'm hoping you mean insane in the "playing TK with Sid" way, and not the "80 pt player for sure" way. He's quickly approaching bust territory - 5th full season, and regressing hard from a career 45 pt season. If anything I think he'd be in over his head playing next to Sid - he was a failure next to Tavares and Moulson.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
I'm hoping you mean insane in the "playing TK with Sid" way, and not the "80 pt player for sure" way. He's quickly approaching bust territory - 5th full season, and regressing hard from a career 45 pt season. If anything I think he'd be in over his head playing next to Sid - he was a failure next to Tavares and Moulson.
Perfect, get him for cheap. Neal wasn't lighting it up in Dallas either, Okposo is playing decent hockey, he just can't find the back of the net, similar to Neal. Put him with Sid and he'll look good. Dupuis is not first line caliber, but he looks good with Sid, pretty sure Okposo would look better.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Listennn... Ray JEAN.... I want you to really get in there and own the space. I mean it. Explore the space!

hahahaaa

You knew what I meant

I just spent the last 5 minutes looking for a Chi McBride impersonation where he talks about puddin'. I love Walken.

Here's a good one: http://qbedo.com/2008/07/i-brought-kittens-kittens/

Old
02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Me right now waiting for the game.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Riptide

Have been watching the Wild/Flames game from lastnight. Am still liking PMB game. I still think he'd be good if we could get him on the cheap. Obviously health is somewhat of a concern, however he's a UFA in July.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Me right now waiting for the game.

You should make a White Russian to pass the time. Little bit of Kalua, little bit of this, little bit of what have you... lot of ins and outs.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Have been watching the Wild/Flames game from lastnight. Am still liking PMB game. I still think he'd be good if we could get him on the cheap. Obviously health is somewhat of a concern, however he's a UFA in July.
Depends what the prices for guys better than him are. If they're outrageous I'd have a list of fallback guys that could possibly be had on the cheap and PMB would probably be on that list.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You should make a White Russian to pass the time. Little bit of Kalua, little bit of this, little bit of what have you... lot of ins and outs.
All rum, my friend.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Depends what the prices for guys better than him are. If they're outrageous I'd have a list of fallback guys that could possibly be had on the cheap and PMB would probably be on that list.
We haven't discussed fallbackers, who do you gots in mind?

Old
02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I would rather have Seto than PMB.

Closed Thread