HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Value of: Matt "the Agile Beast" Hunwick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 05:36 PM
  #1
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
Value of: Matt "the Agile Beast" Hunwick

Matt Hunwick's playing lights out this year and he's an FA at the end of next one. Smart move by mgmt to get him sign him up for 2 years so that if he did play well which he has, we could get better value than if he was a pending UFA.

Now before seeing what we might get for him on the main board, I wanna know what you guys expect? A good D prospect like Trouba? A 2nd line winger who can play on the 1st? A #10-15 pick? We could re-sign him to an extension of course but it's gonna be $4 M+ and I just don't think we can afford that with a few pending contracts in 2014.

He only has 1 point during this season so far but the guy's playing 18-24 mins and is a +2 on this team. His mobility is not reflected on the stat sheet but on a better team with competent forwards, it would translate to more assists.

We'd also be losing a high IQ player as reflected by this thoughtful picture but have to get something back so I'm in favour of moving him before the draft:

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
  #2
Rrabb1t
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Matt Hunwick's playing lights out this year and he's an FA at the end of next one. Smart move by mgmt to get him sign him up for 2 years so that if he did play well which he has, we could get better value than if he was a pending UFA.

Now before seeing what we might get for him on the main board, I wanna know what you guys expect? A good D prospect like Trouba? A 2nd line winger who can play on the 1st? A #10-15 pick? We could re-sign him to an extension of course but it's gonna be $4 M+ and I just don't think we can afford that with a few pending contracts in 2014.

He only has 1 point during this season so far but the guy's playing 18-24 mins and is a +2 on this team. His mobility is not reflected on the stat sheet but on a better team with competent forwards, it would translate to more assists.

We'd also be losing a high IQ player as reflected by this thoughtful picture but have to get something back so I'm in favour of moving him before the draft:
I like the thought process behind this. Hunwick certainly holds a lot of value now and I'd hate to see him play for one of our Western rivals. Proper puck possession teams like Detroit would certainly be interested in a smart player like Hunwick if he was available and The Agile Beast could really hurt us a lot like many ex-Avs do. Safest thing to do would be to ship him to East where interest in Hunwick is guaranteed to be high and Avs can just hold out until the very best offer.

Something like Hunwick + Johnny Malkin + 6th for you know...Evgeni Malkin would do it. We'd have to be carefull with (Evgeni) Malkin's recent head injury though. Would suck to lose important pieces like Hunwick for an injury prone player. I think this definetly has General boards trade proposal potential.

Rrabb1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:54 PM
  #3
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
Malkin? No you'd dreaming. I don't even think we can get Voracek. You have to be realistic here, maybe a high end prospect like Grigorenko on a team like Buffalo which could use his speed. The problem is that if we trade him without him being locked up long-term then we have no chance of landing a Voracek. Based on past trades like Kaberle, we can certainly get a good prospect or 1st.

And let's be honest, Matt Hunwick's better than Kaberle.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
  #4
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 400
We'd be losing more than a player. We would be losing a pillar on our defense. An important leader. A large piece of our locker room. And most importantly, Joe Sacco would be losing a friend.

I am haunted at the thought of 22 in another teams uniform.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
  #5
Rrabb1t
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Malkin? No you'd dreaming. I don't even think we can get Voracek. You have to be realistic here, maybe a high end prospect like Grigorenko on a team like Buffalo which could use his speed. The problem is that if we trade him without him being locked up long-term then we have no chance of landing a Voracek. Based on past trades like Kaberle, we can certainly get a good prospect or 1st.

And let's be honest, Matt Hunwick's better than Kaberle.
You're right. Maybe Evgeni Malkin is a step too far, but I don't think you can underrate Johnny Malkin who has turned out to be A DANGLE ANIMAL and is on pace for career high on goals, assists, faceoff wins, takeaways, hits, powerplaypoints, dangles, takeaway pizza orders, no look high five's with Matt Hunwick and he's well on his way to liberating the Irish from British tyranny aswell according to wikipedia. Now if he could just learn the BANG BANG victory dance a bit better he'd be almost perfect center for us.

I'm sure at least someone like Eric Staal would be available for that package.

Rrabb1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
  #6
Freudian
luck paper scissors
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 26,843
vCash: 50
You don't trade character.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:06 PM
  #7
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrabb1t View Post
You're right. Maybe Evgeni Malkin is a step too far, but I don't think you can underrate Johnny Malkin who has turned out to be A DANGLE ANIMAL and is on pace for career high on goals, assists, faceoff wins, takeaways, hits, powerplaypoints, dangles, takeaway pizza orders, no look high five's with Matt Hunwick and he's well on his way to liberating the Irish from British tyranny aswell according to wikipedia.

I'm sure at least someone like Eric Staal would be available for that package.
Are you insane? I wouldn't take that contract for free. I certainly wouldn't trade our top defenseman for it.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:06 PM
  #8
BrickAHL
#Shermy is ELEPHANT
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,527
vCash: 432
I Hunny.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  #9
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie
 
AvsFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 125
Would give the other team a 7th just to take him.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:12 PM
  #10
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
Would give the other team a 7th just to take him.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:31 PM
  #11
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,327
vCash: 500
HunnyBunny is integral to the team's plans this year. Trading him is not an option.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
  #12
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,414
vCash: 500
Hunwick for Stamkos


Edit: Any team can use a d-man who skates fast and does nothing else.


Last edited by the_fan: 02-24-2013 at 06:40 PM.
the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:42 PM
  #13
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
HunnyBunny is integral to the team's plans this year. Trading him is not an option.
Hunwick is a key part of the tank.

Hans Landaskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
  #14
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves
 
Lier X Agerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
How could you even suggest trading such an integral component to this team? He makes Matt Duchene 1x better than he already is by drawing top defenders and his speed opens up so much ice!

Lier X Agerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:05 PM
  #15
AvalancheFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
We'd be losing more than a player. We would be losing a pillar on our defense. An important leader. A large piece of our locker room. And most importantly, Joe Sacco would be losing a friend.

I am haunted at the thought of 22 in another teams uniform.
You win.

AvalancheFan19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:06 PM
  #16
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
Hunwick is a key part of the tank.
Like Elliot before them, Hunny and O'Byrne are our best hopes of tanking for a great pick.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
  #17
The Shermanator
Lawn Chair Season
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,521
vCash: 150
Hunwick is ****ing magic on the ice.

The Shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:12 PM
  #18
Freudian
luck paper scissors
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 26,843
vCash: 50
Status update: untouchable.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:14 PM
  #19
Rrabb1t
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Sherman better hang up if Shero calls 'cause Hunwick is going beast mode and Avs are no longer offering the package for Malkin.

Rrabb1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:19 PM
  #20
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 50
Penguins are going to have to add to get Hunwick now.

#stuffnobodysays

Hans Landaskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
  #21
GeoffL19
Registered User
 
GeoffL19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 800
If we didn't have Hunwick, who else would be playing 22+ minutes a night? That bust EJ? He's terrible and now that he's finally sidelined, we get to see Hunwick shine and be a true leader on the back end.

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:59 PM
  #22
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,010
vCash: 496
Poor fella gets no respect.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
  #23
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
  #24
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
1st+B prospect

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
  #25
Freudian
luck paper scissors
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 26,843
vCash: 50
Did you see that fierce cross check he landed on Perry after the goal in OT? No fear.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.