HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Material Defender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernILHawksFan View Post
I've seen rumors of 3-4 proposed realignments. Certainly possible this is just one proposal, correct?
Logic since the league don't know yet what will happen with Phoenix. Sure they have a handful of scenarios. This is just their opening bid.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
JohnLennon

Hey guys, guess what?! THERE IS NO NEW YORK-BOSTON RIVALRY IN HOCKEY. THERE NEVER HAS BEEN. Stop whining about losing a rivalry that never existed in the first place. This isn't baseball.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Mantha Poodoo
The Wheeled Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Hey guys, guess what?! THERE IS NO NEW YORK-BOSTON RIVALRY IN HOCKEY. THERE NEVER HAS BEEN. Stop whining about losing a rivalry that never existed in the first place. This isn't baseball.
This is very true, and not just for the Boston-NYR scenario. Hockey very much has its own traditions and rivalries apart from the other North American sport, due in large part due to the history of the league and Canadian participation (and origination) that is unprecedented in the other major North American sports.

I mean, I can't think of anyone lamenting about how much they miss the epic bouts between the Tigers and Expos... but Habs and Wings? Rocket and Mr. Hockey? **** yea, that's some classic old time hockey right there.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
shifting

People need to stop thinking of the "east" and "west". It isn't 8/16 that get in vs 8/14. Its 4/7, 4/7, 4/8, 4/8. The proposed divisions are not tied to each other for playoffs until one team gets out of the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
People need to stop thinking of the "east" and "west". It isn't 8/16 that get in vs 8/14. Its 4/7, 4/7, 4/8, 4/8. The proposed divisions are not tied to each other for playoffs until one team gets out of the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs.
It's just a matter of equity: Those in the 8-teams divisions would have a harder time making the playoffs, that's all.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
shifting

Some people however have the impression that the two east divisions will always compete with each other for a Cup Finals berth. They won't

Old
02-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
It's just a matter of equity: Those in the 8-teams divisions would have a harder time making the playoffs, that's all.
Speaking as a fan in one of those 8 team divisions, I don't care at all about the disparity been 4/7 vs 4/8.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
Some people however have the impression that the two east divisions will always compete with each other for a Cup Finals berth. They won't
So then how does this help the travel situation?

Old
02-24-2013, 08:39 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So then how does this help the travel situation?
So, starting in the 3rd Round it could be Vancouver vs Florida... How nice!

Old
02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Lunt23

vCash: 1220
I have absolutely no interest in Winnipeg going to a "Northwest" Division with Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. Anybody who suggests that needs to stare at a time zone map a little harder.

Best thing for the Jets will be getting as many games in the Central timezone as possible. I'm itching to get a rivalry started with the Wild and other rivalries are built in the playoffs.

The way I see this going is if Phx loses it's team, it goes to Seattle. No brainer. The expansions would likely be in QC and Markham with a possibility of Houston. The reason I say this is due to what's been pointed out earlier, you put expansion teams in Canada, it won't matter, the people will come and love it. Give Seattle an established team that's competitive right off the bat and that market is in the bank with Vancouver fans coming down to Seattle all the time as well.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Someone hasn't talked to anyone who was around in the early-70s.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
At present, Vancouver could play Detroit starting in the first round. Under all the current system they can go an entire four round playoff drive without ever playing an opponent in their own time zone. Potentially playing Florida in the third round works a whole lot better than what they have now.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:12 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Seems pretty obvious that most fans of WC teams are happy with this proposal and most fans of EC teams are not....

Old
02-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Ober

Quote:
I guess it would make a whole lot more sense to "force" Vancouver to travel two time zones to play Nashville in the 3rd round...while Boston is "forced(?)" to make that long trip to Raleigh!?!?!?

The two Conference playoff structure has created an unfair travel situation for about 25 years...and there are at least 14 organizations that want that playing field evened out finally.

If a New York team has to travel to San Jose to play in round 3 (or round 2 as far as I am concerned)...it is long long overdue! Not to say that it will always happen but the possibility should exist when you get down to at least the final 4...if not the final 8.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Winnipeg will 'disappear' if they're not in a division with Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. They'll be stuck in no-man's land. They'll never figure prominently on HNIC if they're not at least road teams on the second half of double-headers. Putting them in a division with all American teams is a terrible idea. Might as well leave them where they are. It makes no sense.
As a Winnipeg Jets fan, I could care less about being in a division with other Canadian teams. Been there, done that. And honestly, with regards to HNIC, it should just be renamed Hockey Night in Toronto already. Screw these 1PM or 3PM start times on weekends. Most people in Winnipeg would rather watch TSN Jets than the sorry excuse for a D level broadcast team in standard def CBC scrounges together. It's not like we're not going to play Canadian teams, either. We're not in a division with any Canadian teams right now and we still seem to have a fair number of games against them.

Quote:
I just don't see the point of bringing back the "Winnipeg Jets" if not to bring back their rivalries with the Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. Smythe Division hockey is something the NHL should want to try to recreate.
The Jets were also in the Norris division. It's not like it's set in stone. And as much as I enjoy seeing the Canucks, Oilers, and Flames come to town, it's really not that big of a deal. You're not going to recreate the Gretzky era by recreating the same division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuts View Post
As a Winnipeg Jets fans there were three things I was hoping for from the realignment

1) Get the Jets out of the SE - check
2) Home & Home with every out of conference team - check
3 Same division as Minnesota - road trips here I come! - check

So I am quite happy with this proposal, having Detroit would have been nice but you can't have everything...
I wouldn't have minded staying in the SE for another season or two. It's been fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Do you think it is a big deal to be the only Canadian team in the division/conference?
Quote:
What is bigger than Canadian media coverage in hockey? No, seriously.
Question wasn't directed at me, but I say no. Of all cities in the NHL, Minnesota is geographically the closest to Winnipeg. Who cares if they're not Canadian? In fact, it's better not to deal with other Canadian media all the time. Like Toronto's. Who wants Leafs fans infesting their arena. Not I. Reading articles about hockey from anyone based in Toronto is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Bring on Chicago and Minnesota and the rest. While we may not have a rivalry with Chicago, there are a bunch of interesting and understated hockey related connections between the two cities.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
As a Winnipeg Jets fan, I could care less about being in a division with other Canadian teams. Been there, done that. And honestly, with regards to HNIC, it should just be renamed Hockey Night in Toronto already. Screw these 1PM or 3PM start times on weekends. Most people in Winnipeg would rather watch TSN Jets than the sorry excuse for a D level broadcast team in standard def CBC scrounges together. It's not like we're not going to play Canadian teams, either. We're not in a division with any Canadian teams right now and we still seem to have a fair number of games against them.
TSN is terrible when compared to CBC. No one touches HNiC, even if they do tend to show the most terrible franchise in the league.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Seems pretty obvious that most fans of WC teams are happy with this proposal and most fans of EC teams are not....
Thats not the impression I get. The only group I see being disappointed with it is Chicago fans, who feel they're being isolated in the central time zone.

Frankly the two eastern conferences are so loaded with rivalries and star power I don't think many care that they might have a little extra competition for the playoffs.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Thats not the impression I get. The only group I see being disappointed with it is Chicago fans, who feel they're being isolated in the central time zone.

Frankly the two eastern conferences are so loaded with rivalries and star power I don't think many care that they might have a little extra competition for the playoffs.
Why have a League with half the teams belonging to two Conferences that few people will follow? Why separate the west off from the east so extremely?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:02 PM
DocBrown

Quote:
Why have a League with half the teams belonging to two Conferences that few people will follow? Why separate the west off from the east so extremely?
Umm, west is playing the east more now.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Punkeater

Hey guys! I've seen that idea somewhere else I don't really remember but what about splitting everything between north and south?

That would makes all teams mostly even with traveling. It would give more chances for Canadians teams to face each other more often (I'm Canadian, I know Americans won't care about this too)

North:

Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Boston
Buffalo
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Minnesota
Detroit
NYI
NYR
New Jersey
Chicago

South:

Pittsburgh (We keep the Philly-Pittsburgh rivalry intact)
Philadelphie
Washington
Florida
Tampa
Caroline
Nashville
Anaheim
St-Louis
San Jose
Dallas
Phoenix
Los Angeles
Colorado
Columbus

What about this? Equal traveling for everybody (mostly)

Old
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Tawnos

Punkeater, it isn't just the travel that's the problem. It's time zone issues.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Punkeater, it isn't just the travel that's the problem. It's time zone issues.
Yeah true to this... I didn't read about the whole topic so I didn't think about that. I guess we're better leaving this between East-West. Anyway it's hard to predict anything with the Phoenix-Seattle-Quebec-Markham scenario around. There's so much possibility :S

Old
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Hey guys! I've seen that idea somewhere else I don't really remember but what about splitting everything between north and south?

That would makes all teams mostly even with traveling. It would give more chances for Canadians teams to face each other more often (I'm Canadian, I know Americans won't care about this too)

North:

Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Boston
Buffalo
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Minnesota
Detroit
NYI
NYR
New Jersey
Chicago

South:

Pittsburgh (We keep the Philly-Pittsburgh rivalry intact)
Philadelphie
Washington
Florida
Tampa
Caroline
Nashville
Anaheim
St-Louis
San Jose
Dallas
Phoenix
Los Angeles
Colorado
Columbus

What about this? Equal traveling for everybody (mostly)
It's about time zones and start times as much as it is about travel although you still have a western skew in the South there.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
TSN is terrible when compared to CBC. No one touches HNiC, even if they do tend to show the most terrible franchise in the league.
The HNIC broadcasts of the Jets aren't always up to HNIC standards, though. The TSN-Jets broadcast is pretty professional. It even has the traditional HNIC theme music.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The HNIC broadcasts of the Jets aren't always up to HNIC standards, though.
thats because they are always at noon when nobody is watching.

Closed Thread