HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

February 24th, 2013: Bruins @ Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 05:30 PM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
It's a question of knowing if the value we can get from him is higher than the drop off of his replacement.
We'd be speculating now but I think he'd garner a solid return. Maybe a second round pick and a decent prospect. I think he's better than Paul Gausted who got a first round pick, so who knows. I have no idea who his replacement would be.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We'd be speculating now but I think he'd garner a solid return. Maybe a second round pick and a decent prospect. I think he's better than Paul Gausted who got a first round pick, so who knows. I have no idea who his replacement would be.
The ideal scenario would be having two centers better than Shore because Shore basically seems like a more talented version of Goc.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:38 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Not really any defensive center in this FA cohort. Unless we bump Matthais to 3rd and get Maxime Lapierre on the fourth.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:42 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The ideal scenario would be having two centers better than Shore because Shore basically seems like a more talented version of Goc.
Shore has more offense, assist first type of guy who is defensively responsible. I think he's going to grow into a nice two way 50 point second line center.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
Not really any defensive center in this FA cohort. Unless we bump Matthais to 3rd and get Maxime Lapierre on the fourth.
I'll take your word for FA crop, I haven't looked. We'd have a lot of time to replace him plus I think everyone expects Tallon to make some changes so it's very possible to get his replacement without even knowing it. I would like the coaching staff to groom Matthias to become a shutdown third line center. I've been saying this for weeks. He's a great skater and he he has size. He's never going to be a top 6 guy. Might as well make use of his tools.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
It was a pathetic game to attend. The boys played one good period, but once the puck didnt bounce our way, ugh. No pushback at all.

Markstrom played very solid, except on Charas goal might have been able to stop that one...might have been taken by surprise to see a player his height.

The theme of the game was clearly Weiss. Hes jaybloing on us. Its very sad to watch. Hardly saw him 3rd per. His time is short here.
Backhand shots are always tricky for goalies, especially when in tight like that. Nobody did any favors for Markstrom. He played very well.

Weiss is sad. He's been nothing but loyal and hardworking, never one to complain all his years here. Now he gets deservedly two shifts in the third. :/

Old
02-24-2013, 05:55 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Backhand shots are always tricky for goalies, especially when in tight like that. Nobody did any favors for Markstrom. He played very well.

Weiss is sad. He's been nothing but loyal and hardworking, never one to complain all his years here. Now he gets deservedly two shifts in the third. :/
RR i was never a huge fan of Weiss, but always did give him tons of respect becuase of his dignity and loyalty. This was tragic to watch.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

He was strong, but needs to learn better rebound control and to tighten up a few areas.

02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Just like the Pens game the other night, I feel like I can't be mad about this loss. We are just not a good team and we lost to two of the best in the league. Goldie said it best towards the end. When a 19 and 20 year old are two of the players giving this team the most impact and effort, you're not going to win games. I think it was his nice way of calling out the guys (i.e. mostly Weiss) whom are a huge reason of where we are at 5-9-4 at the moment.

I'm as big of a Weiss fan as any Panthers fan, but yes sadly I'm at the point where I believe he has to go asap. It's about freaking time that Dineen called him out and benched him throughout most of the 3rd period when he was given the chance to play on the top line earlier. Even if a momentum swing happens after this game, it's just too little, too late. We're pretty much going to have to win 75% of the games remaining to realistically think about playoffs. This season is going to go down as a dark one, but at least it's a transition one and knows where we stand to improve in with the bright future that we hope to have.
Like this post!! Id say we would have to win 20 out of our remaining 30 to even come close. That doesn't look possible now or even when we are fully healthy. I think it was Pierre Mcguire who said it but he said our situation is alot like Tampa's last couple years. Same can be said for Chicago and LA.

The year Tampa pushed to the Conference finals which is a better version of our playoff run last year. Then Tampa missed the playoffs last year which looks like it will happen with us and now you have Tampa this year the league's best offensive team and a good pick to make the playoffs and push again. I feel we are 2 years away from being a contender. My patience is starting to be consumed by a small form of frustration and humiliation. We've suffered long enough for a consistent contender.

Markstrom, Shore, Hubber, Guds, Kulikov and hopefully Mueller will be back and Bjugstad, Petro, Robak, Howden and others will transition in. We will be a bubble team next year as well until our future develops. I just cry a bit seeing how much Weiss, Kuba, Jovo, Santo, Upshall and Bergy add up too and theyre either injured or not peforming to what we need. I'm guessing it's probably close to $20million.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He was strong, but needs to learn better rebound control and to tighten up a few areas.
Good point. very luongoesque in that regard...

Old
02-24-2013, 06:31 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Tank is back on..

Old
02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Benched

vCash: 157
Quote:

I think he was caught out of position a bit on the Chara shot. Should've stayed back in the cage a bit more and used his size instead of trying to challenge. He was a bit too far up in the paint to stop that top shelf shot. It was a great goal by Chara.

That and he needs to work on controlling rebounds. If he holds that first shot on the first goal, it never happens. They had many other decent chances off of rebounds too. His size in the cage is going to make guys shoot straight on and try to get rebounds instead of going for corners and holes. If he can limit them, he can turn into a top tier goalie in this league.

A good second game effort though overall.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
Quote:
It was a pathetic game to attend. The boys played one good period, but once the puck didnt bounce our way, ugh. No pushback at all.

Markstrom played very solid, except on Charas goal might have been able to stop that one...might have been taken by surprise to see a player his height.

The theme of the game was clearly Weiss. Hes jaybloing on us. Its very sad to watch. Hardly saw him 3rd per. His time is short here.
Thank you as always AG! I when Marky came to the bench for the extra attacker and some little kid gave him props for a good game then I realized it was THEO. Marky looks 3feet taller than Theo.

I just wish I knew the real story with Weiss. I mean if he's injured then rest him, the season is on life support anyhow, if he's upset and wants to be traded then tell Tallon and start looking at options and be ready for April 3rd and if he's not peforming than do what Dineen did today which is bench him.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:42 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
So sad.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
flapanthersfan

Heres what I dont get about Weiss: even if he wants out.... why would he purposely dog it? Hes a UFA after this year. Hes not going to get any team to pay him big money by playing the way he is.

Theres something wrong with him. Dont ask me what it is... but i dont think hes JayBoing us. It makes no sense for him to do that.... purposely.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Why Goc? Goc has been one of our best players this year. He wins faceoffs, hustles, makes good passes, plays both ways, and does all the little things a player should do. He's our most underrated player by far.
Goc is getting third line center only because of his faceoff ability. Matthias improves on his faceoffs and Goc is redundant. Goc really is not part of the future and should be traded,

Old
02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Heres what I dont get about Weiss: even if he wants out.... why would he purposely dog it? Hes a UFA after this year. Hes not going to get any team to pay him big money by playing the way he is.

Theres something wrong with him. Dont ask me what it is... but i dont think hes JayBoing us. It makes no sense for him to do that.... purposely.
Don't know, either, but he doesn't look hurt, just disinterested. Doesn't make sense.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post

I believe this as well. At the end of the day, he knows what it takes to get to the playoffs...he's not going to purposefully tank now.

Tough loss, but we knew when Tallon came on that we were realistically a few years out from a winning team. Last year was a fluke. I like what I'm seeing from our young players. I'm excited to see what this team looks like in the next couple of years.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:20 PM
flapanthersfan

I tore a ligament in my elbow so the only way for me to post for the time being is on my phone...so im going to keep this short

This season is done. You can just feel it. That being said there are some positives. Huberdeau Mueller Shore Kulikov Matkstrom and to a lesser extent Gudbranson are a nice core of young guys to build around.

We also have some solid vets who will come back next year. Like everyone else... Im growing to love Kopecky. Love his passion. Great 3rd liner.

amf althoigh their play.has been subpar this year... Campbell Fleishmann and Versteeg are still good pieces.

The downside is Tallon has littered this team with what amounts to the hovkey equivalent of diarrhea. Kuba is awful. Jovo is awful. Upshall is useless. Clemmensen sucks. All these guys are signed for next season... but they shouldnt be brought back next season. Theyre terrible. Itll be interesting to see if he can get anyone go take one or two of those players and get us off the hook.

He also needs to replace Smithson, Santorelli, Kovalev and even Matthias/Skille with more effective grinders who are effective in their roles. A team like Boston is not only good because they have offensive players... but they have guys like Paille,Campbell, Kelly, etc who are very VERY good defensive forwards.

Tallon did a very poor job of contructing this team this year. What made us such a good team last year is our downfall this season. Our bottom 6/9 forwards were filled with those typr of guys. Madden. Sturm Samuelsson and Bergenheim replaced by unreliable turds is killing us.

Anyway... all these guys have expiring contracts and/or can be bought out. Kovalev. Smithson. Parros and Santorelli all should be gone. and before anyone defends Parros... did his presence stop us from playing soft tonight? We need team toughness like Boston has. Not one useless goon and a team full of pansies.

Ive also about had it with Skille and Matthias. Theyre not good defensively and i dont thinkbits worth waitibg for them to develop the defensive aspect of their game. IF they ever develop it. Were better off trying to bring in a veteran who can do their kob effectively/bring some experience to what will probably be a young team next year. Theyre dime a dozen players... we threw Campbell into the Horton deal as he was nothing and hes a great 3rd-4th liner.

One last complaint: and ill get bashed for it.... but i still dont like the Gudbranson pick. I love the physical presence he brings. But hes not a good defensman right now. Hes lanky, borderline goofy on his skates. Decent mobility for his size but his defensive game needs a ******** of work. As does his offense. No clue why Dineen has him on the PP. He has no pose with the puck...anyone gets near him and he throws a weak wristsr on net that gets blocked or throws the puck into the corner. Hes also a -10 now in 9 games i think. Brutal.

Hes only 20 so I know he has upside to learn and improve. And i Still consider him part of our core. But i still hate the selection from two years ago. Hes shown me nothing.

So much for keeping the post shirt eh?

Old
02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Benched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Goc is getting third line center only because of his faceoff ability. Matthias improves on his faceoffs and Goc is redundant. Goc really is not part of the future and should be traded,
Totally disagree. Matthias has been solid this year but he hasn't done nearly what Goc has done on a consistent basis. The guy uses his size to win battles on the boards, controls pucks well, makes good passes and hustles his ass off. He may not be part of the future but to say he's only the third line center because of faceoffs isn't fair. I think Dineen sees what I see in the way he plays.

I never said he was part of our long term future and if the right offer comes along I'd trade him but he would not be the first guy I'd move by a long shot.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
I can't imagine Tallom waits two more weeks to do something.

I don't know if it'll be anything crazy but I can't see how Tallon would want to keep Weiss unless he signs for like $2 million/year. I don't know what we could get for him but I think it's time to cut our losses.

Could it be he lost his heart for the Panthers after not being named captain?
If thats true then the Panthers made the right decision on a captain.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
PSLguy

Quote:

I could not agree more. We were some of the few Panther fans left at the end of the game.

Markstrom made some big saves, thought he could've gotten Lucic's goal off the faceoff.

I was stunned to see Dineen put Weiss out with Mueller and Hubs. I understand trying to light a spark but why break up your hottest line?

Weiss looks like he has given up. My wife commented several times about his play. He floats around and rarely goes hard to the net.

Also, enough of the dump and chase offense. That clearly didn't work against the Penguins or today. When they carried the puck in the offense actually got set up a few times.

The four minute power play was very weak. When they didn't score we knew it was over.

All in all a disappointing game.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Benched

Who else would do Weiss to the Leafs for Grabovski and a late pick?

Old
02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Gordonx11

We need something, a trade, a firing, someone being waived, i dont know but something to wake these guys up before its too late.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Shore has more offense, assist first type of guy who is defensively responsible. I think he's going to grow into a nice two way 50 point second line center.
Which is why I'm so against all the O'Reilly proposals. Shore is virtually what O'Reilly is. He's just a few years behind on development. Why pay up to get a guy who isn' even on contact. I hate the main board sometimes.

Closed Thread