HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Jerseys do you own, and what do you want

Old
02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I heartily endorse this post.

Heck, if you're patient enough, and get lucky, I've bought old PRO jerseys for under $40. I have a black 1993- Gretzky-era LA Kings jersey, pro, that I got for about $25. Right place, right time.

Just be aware of what you are buying, and remember that any Reebok-era jersey with a price too good to be true might be counterfeit. As long as you know the signs of a counterfeit, eBay is your jersey-selling friend.
You wouldn't happen to have a convienient older post on how one discerns the signs of a counterfeit would you?

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a convienient older post on how one discerns the signs of a counterfeit would you?
I probably do, but it was probably a year ago or longer... I'll take a look, but I'm not promising anything...

I've always said anyone can PM me a pic/ auction listing to see if a jersey is legit or not. If you see something on eBay and think it might be a fake, send me a PM with the link. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:00 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quick rundown on spotting fake jerseys:

1) Pre-Name & Numbered pro-jerseys
Remember that Reebok does not sell pro jerseys with names & numbers pre-sewn on the back. At all. Ever. I can't stress this enough. And they won't ever do it, either. All pro jerseys are numbered by 3rd party sources. RBK doesn't want anything to do with it.

What this means: If anyone ever claims they can get a deal on name & numbered pro jerseys "because they know a guy/ has a brother/uncle who works for Reebok and can get them cheap", they are full of *****. If a seller ever claims they can get you any kind of name/numbered pro jersey directly from stock from RBK, it's horseshart. Any pro jersey with a name and number on the back needed the name & number to be added by someone other than RBK. Ask the seller who did the jersey customization. If they don't know, chances are it's a fake.

2) Check yo strap, son
The single best tell-tale sign of fakes:
Bad Fight Straps: Fight straps should be stitched onto a large 3"x5" piece of tackle-twill, then stitched onto the jersey. Almost every fake jersey I've ever seen skimps on this one thing: it's the easiest way to spot a fake jersey.
The one on the left is real, the one on the right is fake:

If you look, you can clearly see the jersey on the left has a nice big reinforced piece of twill that sandwiches the fight strap against the jersey. The jersey on the right has some tiny-ass wiener reinforcement.

Here's another clearer example of legit jersey strap (Right) vs fake jersey strap (Left):

3) the customization itself
Fake jerseys have piss-poor customization. Letters and numbers often look "bubbly", like so:

Pretty easy to tell that ^^^ is fake as a $3 bill.

Also watch out for sellers that sell jerseys with incorrect fonts. I've been to Sens games and seen guys wearing Alfie jerseys using Columbus's font. Some knockoff manufacturers are grade-a stupid. Keep that in mind.

4) The NHL logo on the front collar
For the most part, knockoff jerseys cut as many corners as they can. Almost all will cut corners on the neck collar as well. Instead of sewing a separate patch onto the jersey, they simply embroider the logo directly onto the fabric, like so:

In fact, this works for most things on a jersey. Almost nothing is ever embroidered on a jersey: it's all separate patches that are sewn onto the jersey. In the example above, of the fake Flames Heritage jersey, the Heritage patch isn't a patch at all, it's the Heritage Classic logo embroidered directly onto the jersey.

(also funny to note: Reebok never even made a pro Flames Heritage jersey available to the public - only replicas. Anyone with a "Pro Flames Heritage" has a fake, because there simply were never nay made, outside of the 50 or so ones made for the team to wear/ auction away)

5) Watch out for "stock images"
If a seller won't show you a picture of an ACTUAL jersey he is selling, and instead only shows "stock images", chances are the jersey is fake, and he's trying to cover his tracks until it's too late.
Example of a stock image:

6) Where does the jersey ship from?
Look, this is no secret: RBK does not produce it's jerseys in China. Pro jerseys are made either in North America or Indonesia (my current home country). China is not a nation of hockey-crazed people. If RBK does not produce jerseys in China, and nobody in China enjoys hockey, why would your jersey be SHIPPED from China? Why would your hockey jersey be anywhere NEAR China? Answer: it wouldn't be. If it's shipped from China, it's 99.9999% a fake (I'm holding out that last 0.0001% for that one hockey fan in China who might get offended).

There are other tell-tale signs, too: The front logo is too small, the jerseys are the wrong color, the neck-tag is all wrong, the fabric is clearly not authentic, there is mold behind the numbers on the back of the jersey (I have seen this WAY too many times for it not to have been a one-time anomaly), etc... I can add to this quick tutorial if people will find it useful. Just let me know.

Like always, if you're buying a jersey online and are hesitating about it's authenticity, send me a PM and I'll get back to you. I have not only managed pro-shops, handled pro jerseys for a living, and dealt directly with Reebok representatives on the subject of jersey counterfeiting, but have been a jersey collector for 15+ years, and have seen it all. 99% of the time, for NHL jerseys, I can tell within 10 seconds if it's fake or not.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 02-24-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 09:06 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

None ... I've bought a lot of jerseys but I have given them all away as gifts.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:09 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
IF you are looking to spot a fake heritage jersey it is the easiest thing to do. The outline of the number will be too bright, the "C" patch will be too bright, the font will be wrong, Logo too small and numbers too small, If it has an allstar patch it will likely be a golden colour, The shoulder patch will be too vibrant and fluffy looking etc etc.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:12 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
IF you are looking to spot a fake heritage jersey it is the easiest thing to do. The outline of the number will be too bright, the "C" patch will be too bright, the font will be wrong, Logo too small and numbers too small, If it has an allstar patch it will likely be a golden colour, The shoulder patch will be too vibrant and fluffy looking etc etc.
I've found that half of the fake Heritage Sens jerseys are so cheap, they don't even include the 3rd color outline (black) on the jersey numbers. Just red & White. The 3rd outline color is completely missing.

Sad.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

Quote:
Quick rundown on spotting fake jerseys:

Awesome man. Thank you kindly.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
I've found that half of the fake Heritage Sens jerseys are so cheap, they don't even include the 3rd color outline (black) on the jersey numbers. Just red & White. The 3rd outline color is completely missing.

Sad.
Oh yea that too. They are so poorly made that my friend who knows nothing about jerseys looks at one and says "lol fake".

Old
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
BK201

My friend has a fake heritage (he knew it was it was only $15) the first thing I noticed right away was how small the O on the front was.

Although my cousin had got a Chinese on field NHL jetsey and they were almost bang on.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
playasRus

Own a Spezza one, want to eventually get an Alfie before he retires, Karlsson, and maybe Silf/Cowen but I've a long way to go before considering buying a 4th jersey..

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
-ihave: all pre-edge (unless mentionned)

Philadephia black
Dallas Green
Buffalo black
Coyotes white (1st/original uniform)
67s (barber pole) - bought in an Ottawa sports shop, but its so damn fake. The crest is ironed, but its so thick.
Senators Black (alternate with gold) - also from the same store, they printed number 18 and Hossa in the back. looks weird. i wonder if i could just cover up with the real stitches
Senators heritage (fake) - yes, i have a terrible history with ottawa jersey purchase
Senators Red (edge)
Senators black (original uniform) - this one is kinda cool. probably fake too, but it was bought in 1993 or 1994. given as a gift. dont know where it was bought, but i doubt it was from internet. ill try to post pics for those of you who collect jerseys. huge logo and fighting strap. might be a clue to start.

-what i want: every sens jersey. (real versions lol)

on the fake jersey thing, i really dont mind wearing one and really dont care at those who judge me.
however with the heritage fakes in ottawa... problem is that they really **** them all.every little detail in the jersey is off. lol.
white collar, white numbers, wrong font, unnecessary all-star patch, wrong size of the logo, shoulder patch also white.
i know all fakes have details that are easy to spot, but at least most of them look similar to the real thing.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:11 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
4) The NHL logo on the front collar
For the most part, knockoff jerseys cut as many corners as they can. Almost all will cut corners on the neck collar as well. Instead of sewing a separate patch onto the jersey, they simply embroider the logo directly onto the fabric, like so:

In fact, this works for most things on a jersey. Almost nothing is ever embroidered on a jersey: it's all separate patches that are sewn onto the jersey. In the example above, of the fake Flames Heritage jersey, the Heritage patch isn't a patch at all, it's the Heritage Classic logo embroidered directly onto the jersey.
To add to this point (and this image is perfect for showing it), the jersey material around the NHL Shield on real jerseys is not the same as the jersey material found on the rest of the jersey.

On the left, you can pretty clearly see that the jersey material is the regular diamond meshed stuff, on the right it's almost like a silk, with vertical lines rather than the diamond mesh holes.

Quote:

Sad.
A lot of them are too cheap to even go for an off-white on the numbers.

02-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

It's hit & miss with Chinese knockoffs. Usually miss!

I have yet to see a good heritage knockoff! (Not even close)

But I have seen "some" really good Old CCM jerseys from China, that aren't bad. Example 1994 stanley Cup Patch Vancouver Canucks white Linden jersey made very well. http://www.skytrades.net/products.asp?id=3147

Something about these older jerseys, since the material is different from the new Reebok jerseys. Of course I have also seen some crappy knockoff CCM brand jerseys too!

I wouldn't touch a Reebok knockoff!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:39 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
It's hit & miss with Chinese knockoffs. Usually miss!

I have yet to see a good heritage knockoff! (Not even close)

But I have seen "some" really good Old CCM jerseys from China, that aren't bad. Example 1994 stanley Cup Patch Vancouver Canucks white Linden jersey made very well. http://www.skytrades.net/products.asp?id=3147

Something about these older jerseys, since the material is different from the new Reebok jerseys. Of course I have also seen some crappy knockoff CCM brand jerseys too!

I wouldn't touch a Reebok knockoff!
The Canucks jersey you linked to:
- I can tell the shoulder patches are garbage just by looking at them.
- The name on the back, "LINDEN", that font is SO off. It's way too thick & big. The name needs to be like, half that size.
- the font for the numbers are wrong.
- looking at all the other jerseys he has for sale, I can tell the numbers are going to be "bubbly" and trashy (it's difficult to tell with black numbers, but easy to pick up on white ones).
- The sleeves are way too skinny. Pro jersey elbows need WAY more room than that.
- From his other jerseys, you can tell that the front crest will be "bubbly" as well. Bleh.

Compare this fake jersey:

To a REAL game-worn Linden Canucks jersey (and therefore has the correct fonts/sizes/etc...):

You get what you pay for. You want to pay $45 for a new "pro" jersey, more often than not you get what you pay for.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 02-25-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
-Blank home
-Blank away
-Blank heritage
-Alfredsson SNES
-Old red, Spezza 39
-Red game worn, Hoffman
-White A/S
-Blank Detroit home

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Artanis

Quote:

Sad.
I got my Turris jersey from Hockey life, the Turris and 7 aren't even the right color. I just wanted my jersey, so I didn't feel like waiting another 4 weeks for the fix.

Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
I got my Turris jersey from Hockey life, the Turris and 7 aren't even the right color. I just wanted my jersey, so I didn't feel like waiting another 4 weeks for the fix.
They must have sent it to China....

That really sucks dude when it's done wrong at a legit place like HockeyLife.

I would go back and demand they get it right!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith

vCash: 3924
I'm pretty pumped... 5 weeks later, and my white Silfer jersey is finally ready to be picked up! I happen to be in Victoria for a few more days, so I feel like I'm coming back to Ottawa for a late Christmas present. To myself.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Is this real?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Wade-...1#ht_500wt_986

I've wanted this jersey in Redden or Phillips for a while, so I really hope it is

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
18Hossa

Own a Heritage Alfie and my Home Silfverberg jersey will be coming in soon.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Northern Neighbour

I have the old black and white jerseys with the 2D logo. Also have a red Sens jersey. None of these have names on the back.

I do have a Karlsson heritage jersey.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
SensForLife11

Just a warning on that, looks to me like the numbers/nameplate are glued (not stitched). If it is glued and you throw it in the wash, nothing good usually comes out of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Is this real?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Wade-...1#ht_500wt_986

I've wanted this jersey in Redden or Phillips for a while, so I really hope it is

SensForLife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I own:

Blank heritage jersey - deciding between Turris, Silfverberg, Cowen & Zibanejad

1 EMERY - old red
3 CHARA - old black
4 PHILLIPS - old red
6 REDDEN - old red
9 MICHALEK - current white road
9 HAVLAT - original black
11 ALFREDSSON - current home red
11 ALFREDSSON - original white with '07 Stanley Cup crest
12 FISHER - current home red
18 HOSSA - original black
19 SPEZZA - current home red
24 VOLCHENKOV - current home red
25 NEIL - old red
39 HASEK - old red
65 KARLSSON - SNES

and the embarrassing ones:

15 HEATLEY - old red, need to burn it
27 KOVALEV - current home red, *facepalm*
41 CHEECHOO - current home red, got it for $10 at garage sale
91 DAIGLE - original white

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith

vCash: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
I own:
and the embarrassing ones:

15 HEATLEY - old red, need to burn it
27 KOVALEV - current home red, *facepalm*
41 CHEECHOO - current home red, got it for $10 at garage sale
91 DAIGLE - original white
You've got yourself an Anderson jersey, good sir.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Greeningfan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
I own:

18 HOSSA - original black
18Hossa check this out.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote