HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Perez or Kostitsyn being moved

Old
07-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
"As we know now.. we dont have very much room for all our prospects. I dont know how long Gainey wants to keep Kostitsyn in the minors and now Perezhogin has a 1 way contract."

Kostitsyn just turned 21 a couple months ago...he can sit tight in the minors for another season IF it has to happen. He'll be playing games for the Habs this season no doubt, but it's no problem at all to send him down while we still can

About the rest of our prospects, that is a bit of a problem in the future, but how nice of a problem is it to have? "Oh no, too many quality prospects!"

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 02:14 PM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
Well there should be an asterick beside it. Trading prospects for players doesnt mean you are going to win the cup. I would rather keep my youth and let them win the cup for me then trade them away. ie. Iginla
that is the biggest lie ever posted on this board ......... there is no way you would wait to win a cup if a trade made it a signifiganlty realistic opportunity. in 2 / 3 seasons when we are legitimate contendors you will be begging Gainey to make deals involving any one of our prospects if it means bringing in the key element or 2 that gives us that even better Stanley Cup Opportunity.

That is how the system works and has for a couple of decades now.

vipergtsr404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 02:15 PM
felixd

I'd be all for trading either one if we got a real number 1 defenseman in return.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 02:32 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
Thats a bit of a contradiction, Ryder is one of our most skilled youngsters!
Heuh?? Ryder one of our most skilled kids?? Sorry but the only elite skill Ryder has is a shot and a nose for the net, everything else is a pretty average if not under average. Gainey should package him in a trade while he has some interesting trade value.

Kostitsyn
Perezhogin
Latendresse
Grabovski
Higgins
Ryder

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 02:41 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Well there should be an asterick beside it. Trading prospects for players doesnt mean you are going to win the cup. I would rather keep my youth and let them win the cup for me then trade them away. ie. Iginla
dude are you serious??how many cups did iginla bring calgary?

Last edited by #44_delivers: 07-16-2006 at 02:54 PM.
#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 02:53 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Heuh?? Ryder one of our most skilled kids?? Sorry but the only elite skill Ryder has is a shot and a nose for the net, everything else is a pretty average if not under average. Gainey should package him in a trade while he has some interesting trade value.
so trade away a proven player thats still fairly young and has shown he has huge determination, and a speedy progress,

but.... don't trade someone who has the potential to do the same???? wierd logic.

here's how it goes WHO EVER DESERVES TO CRACK THE LINEUP AND GET A SHOT WILL GET A SHOT. it's a good system with prospects and we're led by a great bunch of minds with carbo and gainey, who have a great system in mind.

now i know hfboards has posters that are insanely HORNY for prospects and they over value youth like a crack fix but get your head out of your *****.

you guys remember last year how higgins basically solidified his spot on this roster??? we'll he played his *** off and he deserved to, thats what kost and perez and grabovsky and latendresse.. ect.. have to do,

and i might make you cry with this one but there all not going to pan out like you WANT them too.

Old
07-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Guys, we have a log jam in prospects and players on the club. Ribeiro has a 1 year deal and kovy and koivu have 3 years left on their contracts. Mike Johnson has 1 year left as well as Radek Bonk. After that we have about 3 open forward positions for the following campaign. Now considering that, Grabovsky and Kostitsyn and Chipchura would take their places. But what if they re-sign Johnson or Ribeiro, even Bonk? That leaves no other space unless via trade. I am not exactly sure if Downey has a 2 year deal but i am guessing his spot might be replaced with Max Lapierre in the future. Im not one to make Gaineys decision's but if he does choose to re-sign one of these 3 players it could make one of Perezhogin or Kostitsyn expendable if he cannot re-sign one of Souray, Rivet or Markov. IMO that one might be Souray.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 03:08 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I think there's a misconception that internal competition; promotions and demotions within the line-up or the depth chart is somehow hampering their development while it's quite the opposite. Athletes are usually fierce competitors and are made great by how they overcome adversity.

Latendresse was saying something similar about being benched at the WJC recently.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 03:11 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
I think there's a misconception that internal competition; promotions and demotions within the line-up or the depth chart is somehow hampering their development while it's quite the opposite. Athletes are usually fierce competitors and are made great by how they overcome adversity.

Latendresse was saying something similar about being benched at the WJC recently.
exactly

Old
07-16-2006, 04:06 PM
wedge

the example of Iginla is

Iginla was not supposed the player he is. He was a mid-1st round pick. Of course he had potential, but not the potential to be a game-breaker.

If we had the chance to trade kostistyn for THE asset that would give us an amazing chance to get the cup, I would. Of course it doesn't guarantee a cup but sometimes you have to gamble. Gainey gambled and won. Remember that Gainey always take calculated gambles. He often wins. He did and that is the only important thing. I totally agree with the poster who said that a cup is better than Iginla.

Some posters here would prefer us to be the worst team in the league and draft #1 instead of winning a cup and draft #30.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

If Kostitsyn were to be traded, it would be after he's accomplished more than he has. He wouldn't be worth much based on his AHL record.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 04:52 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsr404 View Post
that is the biggest lie ever posted on this board ......... there is no way you would wait to win a cup if a trade made it a signifiganlty realistic opportunity. in 2 / 3 seasons when we are legitimate contendors you will be begging Gainey to make deals involving any one of our prospects if it means bringing in the key element or 2 that gives us that even better Stanley Cup Opportunity.

That is how the system works and has for a couple of decades now.
I wont be beggin Gainey to do anything. The habs dynasties of the past have been built on drafting. So where the Oilers and the Islanders. That is what I am begging Gainey to do is build us a power house with in and I sure hope he listens to me and not all you meat heads.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
I wont be beggin Gainey to do anything. The habs dynasties of the past have been built on drafting. So where the Oilers and the Islanders. That is what I am begging Gainey to do is build us a power house with in and I sure hope he listens to me and not all you meat heads.
And trades.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
Last time I checked, they didn't put asteriks on the Cup. 1999 Dallas Stars.

A cup is a cup. I would trade any single one of our players if it meant winning the cup this or next year. Any one.
exact !

And from what i know , Iginla still doesn't win a cup

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Form and Substance

I wouldn't trade Kosts or Perezhogin right now. Either of them could really break out next year, I can just feel it.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 05:56 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
And trades.
Drafted:
Guy Lafleur
Steve Shutt
Guy Lapointe
Jaques Lemaire
Serge Savard
Larry Robinson
Pierre Bouchard
Mario Tremblay
Ken Dryden (signed)
Yvan Cournyer
Murray Wilson
Bob Gainey
Rejean Houle
Brian Skrudland
Guy Carbonneau
Patrick Roy
and the list goes on.......................

Old
07-16-2006, 05:57 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
exact !

And from what i know , Iginla still doesn't win a cup
No but who knows what might of happend had his career been with Dallas.

Old
07-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I'm just saying that unless they completely dominate like Dustin Penner in the AHL or overachieve like Colby Armstrong, they could very well be dealt if one of Ribs, Bonk, or Johnson are re-signed. And if one of Rivet, Souray or Markov leave via free agency they could be used as a form of currency.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Drafted:
Guy Lafleur
Steve Shutt
Guy Lapointe
Jaques Lemaire
Serge Savard
Larry Robinson
Pierre Bouchard
Mario Tremblay
Ken Dryden (signed)
Yvan Cournyer
Murray Wilson
Bob Gainey
Rejean Houle
Brian Skrudland
Guy Carbonneau
Patrick Roy
and the list goes on.......................
I'm not disagreeing that drafting is key. I'm saying that well-timed trades are also important. The Lafleur draft pick was obtained via trade. The NYI drafted their core and made some trades. No team wins the Cup with only drafted players.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
larue*

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing that drafting is key. I'm saying that well-timed trades are also important. The Lafleur draft pick was obtained via trade. The NYI drafted their core and made some trades. No team wins the Cup with only drafted players.
Yeah well teams also dont win cups trading draft picks and prospects. Look at Toronto for example. Pethetic trading. I would rather keep my draft picks and prospects and take a chance with them then trade them away in hopes of maybe making it to the 3rd round of the playoffs or lets say the final like Edmonton did and then losing their players the next year. Edmonton is a very good example only they got a good return for Pronger.

Old
07-16-2006, 08:09 PM
wholeshow*

ryder is going to become an UFA in a few years, as are samsonov and kovalev...
we keep BOTH perez and Kost as insurance policies.
they're young, they'll get their time in the spotlight.

plus the return we'll get from them won't be as great as we want it to, for two guys with their potential...it doesn't make sense to trade them for a stop gap defenseman.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 08:39 PM
maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by furax View Post
Perezhogin wasn't even in the line-up at beginning of last season... zednik got injured in the first game against boston... which free up a spot for him...

I'm sure that both kost and perez will be with the team at the beginning of the season... kost might return to Hamilton afterward if he don't get much time to play...

u stole my avatar!!!!

hehe

maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 08:44 PM
larue*

Quote:
Yeah well you guys arent talking well-timed trades here you are talking about giving up our youth on a rent a player that has no chemistry and might not want to stay here in Montreal.
And to that I say pooohieee

Old
07-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
I'd be all for trading either one if we got a real number 1 defenseman in return.
That is an empty hypothetical. You wouldn't get a number 1 defenseman in return.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Frankc

If Bob trade Perezhogin or Kostitsyn i'll become a Bruins fans!.. It would be stupid to trade our two most high ranked prospect, they both have the upside to be 1rst liner..

Lot of people lost confident in Perezhogin because he had 19 pts in 67 games and missed the net often.. So, things happen, he's new to the NHL and have to learn..

Some of the best players got difficulties in their first seasons.. He's not the first one!
Lecavalier had 28 pts in 82 matchs at his first season..
Thornton had 7 pts in 55 games and 41in 82 year after..
Jokinen 0 in 8, then 21 in 66 games..
Henrik and Daniel Sedin.. 34/75 and 29/82

I could continue like that.. Let's see what Perezhogin can bring this year before giving up on him or even thinking that he won't be the player we were expecting.. Give him 2-3 season again and i'm pretty sure he'll be a dominant player. Same for Kostitsyn, we just need to give them time and some good ice time.

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote