HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Just the ownership of misfortune...

Brilliant! Though I think there should be a panel that says NHL. The peg would be pointing on it and doesn't matter how many times you spin the wheel, it will always land on it.

170 mil can buy you a vowel

Old
02-24-2013, 03:16 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by halligan10 View Post
I agree. Perhaps why the NHL would talk about it right now if they were planning on moving the Yotes? They could of waited for this info to come out I would think.
No, they want every little penny they can get from the PHX people for the current $ea$on. They have no courage and are liar$.

These new divisions give no solution to the ownership situation.

I can be wrong.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
The ultimate downfall of all players has been the lack of transparency (e.g., closed council meetings) then open public meetings with a 'take it or leave it' attitude.
... and now back to running deep & silent, rumour swirling that Skeetes retained the services (again) of Beacon Sports Capital. Was this done independently by Horatio and under the maximum $50,000 threshold requiring Council Approval and or at the behest of newly minted Mayor Weiers (?) who along with Alvarez ran on & promised transparency? Then theres the RFP, seeking bids for Arena Management outside of the purview of a sale ever being consummated, non-enjoined to an anchor tenant, non dependant. Wheres that at? Discussed at a Council Meeting back on February 5th.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... and now back to running deep & silent, rumour swirling that Skeetes retained the services (again) of Beacon Sports Capital. Was this done independently by Horatio and under the maximum $50,000 threshold requiring Council Approval and or at the behest of newly minted Mayor Weiers (?) who along with Alvarez ran on & promised transparency? Then theres the RFP, seeking bids for Arena Management outside of the purview of a sale ever being consummated, non-enjoined to an anchor tenant, non dependant. Wheres that at? Discussed at a Council Meeting back on February 5th.
All of these owner negotiations have been only by Mayor Weiers and he is not letting any of the other council members play…

So, I have changed my avatar...

Old
02-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
No, they want every little penny they can get from the PHX people for the current $ea$on. They have no courage and are liar$.

These new divisions give no solution to the ownership situation.

I can be wrong.
If true, who cares. Bottom line hockey games will be played in Glendale.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:43 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
If true, who cares. Bottom line hockey games will be played in Glendale.
You're right, nobody cares in the states.

But the final answer is not know as long the Coyotes are playing my friend.

All this for rumours. Shhh.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Confucius

Quote:
You're right, nobody cares in the states.

But the final answer is not know as long the Coyotes are playing my friend.

All this for rumours. Shhh.
As far as local governments are concerned, no municipal government in the world offered as much on a percapita basis than Glendale did to an NHL team. Probably not more was offered to any pro sport team anywhere.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
As far as local governments are concerned, no municipal government in the world offered as much on a percapita basis than Glendale did to an NHL team. Probably not more was offered to any pro sport team anywhere.
I had been kind of assuming that as well, but then I read that Arlington, TX, population 350k or so, is subsidizing the Cowboys, one of the richest sports team on the planet, to the tune of $20M a year.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
You're right, nobody cares in the states...
... except for the Seasons Ticket Holders, a goodly number of "casual fans" in Phoenix & elsewhere. Jerry Weiers & the COG's Council Members.... the merchants & business owners in & around Westgate. Maybe the franchisee & independents who were dumb enough to lease space in thejob along with commercial real estate developers & people bought homes in the area.... the NHL along with I know Tom Gaglardi in Dallas by way of Vancouver, well, they obviously dont care.... hard to say what Philip Anschutz of AEG thinks about it as he's apparently hearing St. Peter's Trumpets beckoning, cant take it with you... potentially a natural rival for the Kings gone... but sure, no one in the continental USofA gives a tinkers.... ice hockey in the desert. Who ever heard of anything so ridiculous?

Old
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
aqib

Quote:
Heavy lifting going on behind the scenes perhaps.... no discussion here of Mayor Weiers suggestion (10 days or so back) that the City "splits up" the Arena Management Contract 4 ways.... see, you'd have your Entertainment Manager, your Hockey Arena Manager (the franchisee I s'pose), another handling Catering, Food Services, Cleaning & Maintenance, and then something called an Education Arena Manager. All four overseen by a newly created level of bureaucracy at City Hall. Never mind that it would surely spell utterly & completely the end of anyone ever actually buying the Coyotes, but can you just imagine the dysfunction of such a scheme, along with the increased costs pursuant to creating yet another level of administrative over-site? Only a career politician could possibly come up with such a plan, catering to the special interests of the Council Members themselves. Just unimaginable. Impracticable.
It won't take a whole staff of people to oversea 4 outside contractors who provide these services. Whoever wants to buy the Coyotes if free to bid on all 4 contracts. It will be helpful for the council and the citizens to have a cost comparison. If someone comes along and offers to do the entertainment management and book all the events at a cost of $1 in exchange for keeping all the revenue and letting the city collect its $2.75 ticket surcharge versus someone who says he needs the city to cut him a check for $12 million, its a valuable cost comparison.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:16 PM
aqib

Quote:
... except for the Seasons Ticket Holders, a goodly number of "casual fans" in Phoenix & elsewhere. Jerry Weiers & the COG's Council Members.... the merchants & business owners in & around Westgate. Maybe the franchisee & independents who were dumb enough to lease space in thejob along with commercial real estate developers & people bought homes in the area.... the NHL along with I know Tom Gaglardi in Dallas by way of Vancouver, well, they obviously dont care.... hard to say what Philip Anschutz of AEG thinks about it as he's apparently hearing St. Peter's Trumpets beckoning, cant take it with you... potentially a natural rival for the Kings gone... but sure, no one in the continental USofA gives a tinkers.... ice hockey in the desert. Who ever heard of anything so ridiculous?
Yes all those brilliant business people whose business plan counted on 41 nights making up enough money for the 324 days of the year.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
It won't take a whole staff of people to oversea 4 outside contractors who provide these services.
Huh... well, nice to know you endorse Mayor Weiers hairbrained scheme aqib. Good luck with that. Godspeed.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:30 PM
XX
... Waiting

If you think the 4 different contracts thing is a good idea, you fundamentally do not understand business or operations. There's a reason that it's not a common practice.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
If you think the 4 different contracts thing is a good idea, you fundamentally do not understand business or operations. There's a reason that it's not a common practice.
I've been wondering to myself that perhaps the 4 contract approach, as asanine as it is, was/is a way to circumvent any Gift Clause challenge should another large subsidy be put back on the table.

Could be wrong on that.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Absolutely. From the innovative group that gave us magical CFDs, $100 million parking bonds, and the gold-plated AMF I would have expected something a tad more innovative. Why not split it into 8 or 16 contracts? They could break it into semi-annual or quarterly contracts, just to keep things interesting. In fact, why not break it into 500 $40,000 contracts? Then, they might not even have to go to city council for approval.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:45 AM
aqib

Quote:
Huh... well, nice to know you endorse Mayor Weiers hairbrained scheme aqib. Good luck with that. Godspeed.
So for the record, how many people do you think Glendale will have to hire in order to oversee vendors who manage the arena?

Old
02-25-2013, 09:53 AM
aqib

Quote:
So I suppose AEG owns every team in every arena it manages? Same with Global Spectrum I guess? How about Aramark and Deleware North who seem to run the concession stands at half the sports venues in the country? Do they book the shows and own the teams too?

Their have been a whole lot of hairbrained schemes here. Putting a hockey team in this market, building a second arena in a suburb in the West Valley, writting $25 million checks, agreeing to a $320 million management contract, etc but finding different ways to cut losses on an arena is not one of them

Old
02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
cutchemist42

Killion! Welcome back from wherever you went.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
He was in a vortex, talking with some romulans.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

RE: 4 Contract Approach

Where, exactly, was this 4 contract approach introduced? I do not find it in the minutes of COG meetings nor did I hear it discussed in any workshop. There are no RFPs matching this description. Is there a legitimate source to confirm that this concept actually exists?

Old
02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
RE: 4 Contract Approach

Where, exactly, was this 4 contract approach introduced? I do not find it in the minutes of COG meetings nor did I hear it discussed in any workshop. There are no RFPs matching this description. Is there a legitimate source to confirm that this concept actually exists?
I do think even a state like Arizona would have provisions against "splitting contracts."

Old
02-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Quote:
He was in a vortex, talking with some romulans.
... thanks, and close enough. Lets just say I was a bad
baad baaad boy. Became chronologically *^%#@ed-Up.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WBZMRFFkU

put ten bucks in, just ta get the tank topped, off

Old
02-25-2013, 12:49 PM
PCSPounder

So barring a REAL white knight, I have a couple suspicions.

(1) I've been wondering if the realignment negotiations with NHLPA factor into a possible- I've got to say probable- move of this franchise. It seems like all the negotiating being done in Detroit and Columbus can't or shouldn't suddenly be reversed.

(2) The league wants a couple more years of due process to shake every possible last theoretical white knight out of the cacti.

Prior to this weekend's news, my line was "if they move now, it's Quebec; if they wait a couple years, it's Seattle." I've become very tempted to think that the alignment under discussion practically dictates an in-West move.

The next question: will Quebec and Markham be serviced by expansion, or are there other moves coming?

Old
02-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
...Is there a legitimate source to confirm that this concept actually exists?
It was "mused aloud" by Mayor Weiers about 10 days ago. For further edification & amusement, see "Four Ring Circus" at joyceclarkunfiltered.com and I suppose the "legitimacy" part is debatable as per source however, I cant think of one good reason for that source to fully fabricate such a fiction. While I applaud the notion of thinking outside the box, this particular idea & concept would be anathema to ever consummating a local sale, as the anchor tenancy of the franchise simply must be enjoined with the full Arena Management Contract.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
... thanks, and close enough. Lets just say I was a bad
baad baaad boy. Became chronologically *^%#@ed-Up.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WBZMRFFkU

put ten bucks in, just ta get the tank topped, off
The more you post classics, the more I realize how old I am

Closed Thread