HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Making FNC a hard place to play in?

Old
02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Erie89

vCash: 500
Put an exciting team on the ice and the atmosphere will improve. I don't think the winning (although it didn't hurt) was as much of the main factor after the lockout as the fact that was a damn exciting team to watch that could score at any point in time without any warning. All of the come from behind victories and never say die attitude was huge as well, it was a special time.

Erie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Not to nitpick...but Plante?

Unless you meant '97?
LOL...yah 1997.

2007, 1997, 1987...it's all a blur.

Plante scored a huge OT goal in a Game 7 against Ron Tugnutt.

A great moment in Sabres history.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Everyone complaining about how boring the fans are should post where they're season tickets are so that we can look toward your seats next game for an example of how crazy we're supposed to be.

I totally agree with this. However... it should be easier to coordinate 20 guys to play with energy and fire the crowd up than to coordinate 19,000 people to get rowdy and fire a team up. It needs to start with the on-ice product.

In theory, it should be easier to fire up 20 guys and not 19,000. The reality is that it just doesn't always work that way. OK, with this current excuse for a team it's NEVER that way (LOL) but think about it.

The fans are there to be entertained in their free time and have fun. Half of them are drinking beer. Some of them are drunk.

The team has ups and downs, travel to deal with it. It's not always going to be easy for any team to play at maximum effort. Whereas it should always be easy for the fans to make a ton of noise and do what little you actually can do to try and help impact the outcome of the game.

If it's not in your character to make noise at a sporting event, or you choose not too, fine. That's your choice of course.

But collectively it would be great to see a majority of the crowd doing whatever it can to make noise and try to bolster the team.

And really, if any team needs it, it's this one!

They aren't exactly the mentally strongest group I've ever seen play team sports.

Last edited by Royisgone: 02-24-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

If anything its when the team isnt producing on the ice when the fans should be the loudest surely? Isnt that what being a fan is about, trying to pick up a set of players and fellow fans feeling so low?

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
If anything its when the team isnt producing on the ice when the fans should be the loudest surely? Isnt that what being a fan is about, trying to pick up a set of players and fellow fans feeling so low?
Yes. At least I firmly believe that as do others in this thread obviously.

Then you have the "other folks" who I guess don't see it that way...

Old
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
CrankyJay

I think if the players provided their own energy the crowd would pick up on that...the players need to be the prime movers here.

Even if they don't score much, if they played their ***** off consistently I think that would go a long way in energizing the crowd.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Afino
The Juice

Let's just say there was a reason why "The Hardest Working Team In Hockey" was....celebrated as such. Because that's what we want as Buffaloians.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Oh it's one of you people.

I observe and also cheer for the team. If you want to sit on your ass in silence there's a place for that: in your house. Or at a bar.
ehh I am still probably louder than 80 percent of the fans, I just don't yell **** out

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
kcoxsabresfan

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Bandits?

They are the perfect foil to the sabres within the same building and playing a relatively similar game. I would say the differences stem from the following observations made during my two years working on the suite level at the arena 2010-2012:

Every game is rocking even when they aren't playing well. They have an announcer that shouts and riles people up during the game, they play music, they have a set of traditional chants (think - b o x, b o x, box, box, box box box woooooo), they have Bandettes (you laugh, but kids and adults (mostly male adults) like them), more children attend games, the teams score more, security and ushers are significantly more lax on fan behavior (they have to be, there is simply more rambunctiousness to be accounted for), and lastly, the games are cheaper. Cheaper tickets and less seasons (~9000 for bandits vs ~15000 for sabres) mean more fans that don't get to go to games that often have a chance. I would guess, if the experience is rare than it is more meaningful and exciting. Combine that will more scoring, a culture of excitement, and a slightly different sport culture, and you have a whole different game atmosphere.

The funny thing is that Bandits and Sabres management work together and obviously have the same owner, so you'd think that the Sabres gameday staff could help replicate the atmosphere.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:20 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Isn't the new capacity 19,070?

ClearedButNotOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Let's just say there was a reason why "The Hardest Working Team In Hockey" was....celebrated as such. Because that's what we want as Buffaloians.
They certainly aren't the bangers from 05-06...now that was a team you could cheer for.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Prospero
Rookie User

Quote:
Speaking as an outsider to NUFC, I don't know if there is an "Ultra" component in hockey, like there is in England for football. We don't have chants, and we aren't really organized in the way that English fans are. I'm just speculating about what it's like there.
As far as fans on their phones, I always assumed they were checking the game day thread on HFBoards.

Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:43 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
The fans at the game pay through the nose for the right to be there. They can enjoy the game however they want.

If the atmosphere at the arena is bad, maybe, just maybe, it's because the team is an embarrassing pile of crap, plays a boring system and style of play, plays without heart or effort, make the same boneheaded mistakes game after game, duck hits and shy away from physical play, lose pretty much every puck battle, and seem constitutionally incapable of putting in three consecutive periods of honest effort. Maybe that's a bit difficult to get loud and excited about.

Maybe the lack of atmosphere should be blamed less on the people who shell out tons of money to watch a hockey game, and more on the people who are paid millions of dollars primarily to give them something to get excited about, and yet continually and completely fail to do so.
Thank Christ, couldn't of said it better myself. It's funny that this thread pops up after the worst game in the worst season in the past decade. What the hell do you want the fans to do? They were sure booing loud enough.

During the 2006 playoffs we had the loudest arena in the league, a couple of players commented on it. Fans just need a team to cheer for.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:55 PM
SoFFacet

The crowd is a reflection of the team. If the team were interesting, the crowd would be interested.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:59 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
The fans at the game pay through the nose for the right to be there. They can enjoy the game however they want.

If the atmosphere at the arena is bad, maybe, just maybe, it's because the team is an embarrassing pile of crap, plays a boring system and style of play, plays without heart or effort, make the same boneheaded mistakes game after game, duck hits and shy away from physical play, lose pretty much every puck battle, and seem constitutionally incapable of putting in three consecutive periods of honest effort. Maybe that's a bit difficult to get loud and excited about.

Maybe the lack of atmosphere should be blamed less on the people who shell out tons of money to watch a hockey game, and more on the people who are paid millions of dollars primarily to give them something to get excited about, and yet continually and completely fail to do so.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
The crowd is a reflection of the team. If the team were interesting, the crowd would be interested.
I'd say they're pretty interesting... it's interesting seeing what horrible defensive gaffe they'll commit next!

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoxsabresfan View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Bandits?

They are the perfect foil to the sabres within the same building and playing a relatively similar game. I would say the differences stem from the following observations made during my two years working on the suite level at the arena 2010-2012:

Every game is rocking even when they aren't playing well. They have an announcer that shouts and riles people up during the game, they play music, they have a set of traditional chants (think - b o x, b o x, box, box, box box box woooooo), they have Bandettes (you laugh, but kids and adults (mostly male adults) like them), more children attend games, the teams score more, security and ushers are significantly more lax on fan behavior (they have to be, there is simply more rambunctiousness to be accounted for), and lastly, the games are cheaper. Cheaper tickets and less seasons (~9000 for bandits vs ~15000 for sabres) mean more fans that don't get to go to games that often have a chance. I would guess, if the experience is rare than it is more meaningful and exciting. Combine that will more scoring, a culture of excitement, and a slightly different sport culture, and you have a whole different game atmosphere.

The funny thing is that Bandits and Sabres management work together and obviously have the same owner, so you'd think that the Sabres gameday staff could help replicate the atmosphere.
Eh.

Bandits games are like a circus, and I don't mean that in a good way.

They have to carry on with all the nonsense because the sport by itself is not as exciting or as interesting to watch as hockey, hence the family 4-packs including popcorn, drinks, hot dogs, airline tix, new car & new house----all for $99.

The Sabre-fan issue is an entirely different type problem.

The problem with in-arena Sabres fans isn't that there aren't circus-hijinks going on to get fans excited, it's what I described earlier: namely the in-arena fanbase is made up by way too many fan-posers/bandwagoners who got excited with the team after the last lockout and just HAD to be there for games. It became a social status thing. Many of those aren't longtime, hardcore hockey fans, so they are angry the winning went away and just sit on their hands.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 02-24-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Its more the looks that you get off people when you do chant thats the worst thing. Fair enough, if you want to sit quietly then fine, but dont look at the people attempting to stir up the atmosphere like they're idiots.
This. Last time I went to a Sabres game a few weeks ago, I got yelled at by someone's wife to shut up and sit down cause I was "being ridiculous and idiotic"...

Excuse me for trying to cheer on the team and show support ._.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
This. Last time I went to a Sabres game a few weeks ago, I got yelled at by someone's wife to shut up and sit down cause I was "being ridiculous and idiotic"...

Excuse me for trying to cheer on the team and show support ._.
Seriously, real hockey fans get what you're saying. The posers never will.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:33 PM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Eh.

Bandits games are like a circus, and I don't mean that in a good way.

They have to carry on with all the nonsense because the sport by itself is not as exciting or as interesting to watch as hockey, hence the family 4-packs including popcorn, drinks, hot dogs, airline tix, new car & new house----all for $99.

The Sabre-fan issue is an entirely different type problem.

The problem with in-arena Sabres fans isn't that there aren't circus-hijinks going on to get fans excited, it's what I described earlier: namely the in-arena fanbase is made up by way too many fan-posers/bandwagoners who got excited with the team after the last lockout and just HAD to be there for games. It became a social status thing. Many of those aren't longtime, hardcore hockey fans, so they are angry the winning went away and just sit on their hands.
I agree that it is more of a circus at Bandits games, but I believe the OP is talking about suggestions for manufacturing excitement without regard to the product on the ice as a way to support the team. That is why I was trying to explain why Bandits games are exciting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
... Even though the team hasn't been giving us much to cheer for.

What can we do as fans to help improve this? Can we propose initiatives or something?...

Winnepeg has had a DISMAL team as well and the intensity in there is a clear factor in wins. ...

Can fan participation besides booing really provide help to this team?

We always talk about how dead it is in there. What can we do?...
If we are instead diagnosing the lack of fan enthusiasm, then obviously winning has something to do with it. I also agree with your points about ticket prices and fan excitement - which i noted in my post - but I disagree that the explanation has to do with "bandwagoners." Instead I think there is a relationship between a persons perceived socioeconomic status and their level of excitement during a game. I don't have any empirical evidence for this, and certainly individual rich guys can be as boorish as anyone else, but I think there is a degree of decorum which people who want to represent themselves a certain way attempt to display.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Seriously, real hockey fans get what you're saying. The posers never will.
Not sure what tone this is in

But I just hate that. I guess in my mind the atmosphere should be louder and cheering on the team etc through thick and thin. But when she was yelling at me that I was being those words, my face was:

I guess I'm just one of those louder raucous people, but cause I believe in the team. A lot. And I'm dumb for it but I always push for them.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:35 PM
dugman

A big part of the problem,aside from the phone and text crowd (who I hate), is the artificial game excitement garbage... It used to be possible to converse with people around you, start chants, express opinions, etc., during stoppages in play. Now there is loud music at each stoppage, the same tune every time they head to another punchless powerplay, and during timeouts. Then, as was mentioned, we have blooper reels and kiss cams. We are there for the game, which can stand on its own... From my old guy perspective, these things detract from the experience.... Oh, and having a fake meter telling me to make some noise on the scoreboard when we are down 4 goals with 2 minutes left isn't gonna work, either.

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

When the Sabres start playing non-sucky hockey, the place will be louder.

There's really nothing else to say on the topic.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

FNC is a tough building to play in. Just ask the Sabres.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
FNC is a tough building to play in. Just ask the Sabres.
...Well done