HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
  #976
nbwingsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
No he's not. The people that say this are always the ones that will eventually admit under pressure they don't watch them and their opinions come from hearsay.

Sproul, the guy who's getting all the hype, is half the defensive player Murphy is. Murphy just stepped onto an NHL team, played top pairing minutes and didn't look out of place.

He's absolutely not horrible defensively. He never has been.
He is though.

He does need to get MUCH better defensively if he is ever going to be a top defenseman that you have him pegged as.

Watching the WJC, specifically the bronze medal goal is a perfect example of that.

And yes, I've seen him other than that tournament also.

nbwingsfan is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:35 PM
  #977
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
He is though.

He does need to get MUCH better defensively if he is ever going to be a top defenseman that you have him pegged as.

Watching the WJC, specifically the bronze medal goal is a perfect example of that.

And yes, I've seen him other than that tournament also.
No he's not, and he wasn't at the World Juniors either. He would make one turnover and people would pounce on him. Meanwhile the Harrington and Hamilton paring made numerous mistakes that led to goals and Harrington never got attacked because he has a good reputation and Hamilton didn't untill the third game.

He was one of Canada's best defensemen in the bronze medal game and people blamed him somehow for the game wining goal because one of the fastest and most talented draft eligible forwards got by him after Rielly turned the puck over.

He's not horrrible defensively, and people who actually watch him can attest to this. People like you who don't watch him on a consistent basis say he's horrible defensively, the people who do don't. Hamilton is playing in the NHL right now and this year in the OHL Murphy was every bit as good as he was defensively this season. Sproul, the guy people are going gaga over is half the defensive player Murphy is. Yet Murphy has a negative reputation.

People said he couldn't handle AHL defenses let alone NHL yet he's looked fine playing top minutes for Carolina.

Murphy is never going to be a world beater defensively, but he's good enough to play regular minutes in the NHL. Easily.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:39 PM
  #978
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Murphy is never going to be a world beater defensively, but he's good enough to play regular minutes in the NHL. Easily.
You said this about his defensive game in the world juniors wher eh stood out in a bad way defensively and was used basically as an offensive specialist, not getting a tonne of even strength time.

Youre right though everyone thinks hes bad defensively because we dont watch him enough and it doesnt have to do with the fact that he hasnt been anything special defensively

newfy is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
  #979
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
You said this about his defensive game in the world juniors wher eh stood out in a bad way defensively and was used basically as an offensive specialist, not getting a tonne of even strength time.

Youre right though everyone thinks hes bad defensively because we dont watch him enough and it doesnt have to do with the fact that he hasnt been anything special defensively
He stuck out no more than any other defensemen, people simply attacked him more than any defensemen. It didn't matter that Hamilton, Reilly, whoever cost the team with goals against, a turnover from Murphy is worse than a turnover resulting in a goal from someone else.

Every single person who says he's horrible defensively is someone who wouldn't be able to watch him on a regular basis. When pressing for how they've seen them, they point out the World Juniors. Well even if he was horrible there, there's a small sample size. Then they say they've seen him "other places".

Press further, and you either don't get a reply or they say they watch him in the OHL, which the only way is to pay $7 a game and I doubt all these people pay $7 just to watch Murphy.

It's hearsay, and I have no idea where it started. People didn't think this back in his rookie year when he was half the defensive player he is now. People didn't even think it last year. It all started after that one turnover that led to a goal in the first summer series game, though he went on to be Canada's best player and good defensively in the next games.

You're one of the biggest culprits. I bet you think Sproul is better defensively

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
  #980
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,414
vCash: 500
I can't comment on his junior career because I didn't watch it.

What I can comment on is the past 3 NHL games he has played. While he has not been super defensively, he has been solidly in the "not bad" category where offensive defensemen are permitted to be. His skating has kept him in position and his decisions are sound. The only consistent flaw I've seen is the standard issue of a rookie defenseman being a split second behind in reaction time, and even at that he hasn't really stood out next to guys who have been in the league for years.

Having seen this movie before, I'm not going to get overly excited about him just yet. But he is clearly not a "terrible" defensive player right now.

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
  #981
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
He knows how to use his speed and hockey sense to keep up with the play at the NHL level. For an offensive defensman who was playing in the CHL last week, that's not bad.

I wish we could keep him up. Give him sheltered minutes playing with McBain or Harrison.

Oh well. He'll go down to Kitchener an NHL'er.

Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
  #982
DuklaNation
Registered User
 
DuklaNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,829
vCash: 500
He's the type of player who will perform better in the pros. Looked impressive against the Islanders tonight. He runs a PP better than Faulk.

DuklaNation is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:19 AM
  #983
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He stuck out no more than any other defensemen, people simply attacked him more than any defensemen. It didn't matter that Hamilton, Reilly, whoever cost the team with goals against, a turnover from Murphy is worse than a turnover resulting in a goal from someone else.

Every single person who says he's horrible defensively is someone who wouldn't be able to watch him on a regular basis. When pressing for how they've seen them, they point out the World Juniors. Well even if he was horrible there, there's a small sample size. Then they say they've seen him "other places".

Press further, and you either don't get a reply or they say they watch him in the OHL, which the only way is to pay $7 a game and I doubt all these people pay $7 just to watch Murphy.

It's hearsay, and I have no idea where it started. People didn't think this back in his rookie year when he was half the defensive player he is now. People didn't even think it last year. It all started after that one turnover that led to a goal in the first summer series game, though he went on to be Canada's best player and good defensively in the next games.

You're one of the biggest culprits. I bet you think Sproul is better defensively
http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?rid=8&lid=1 - Click on the tab "next week" to see next week's schedule. There are no Kitchener games being broadcasted this week.

Attachment 61367

I don't mind you defending Murphy because his defense isn't as horrible as everyone says it is. But my issue comes with your continuous attacks stating people haven't seen him. Obviously I can't say if they have seen Murphy in Kitchener or not, but there are more ways to watch him than paying to watch him. As you can see in the attachment, you can't be a hundred percent sure they don't watch kitchener.

I wish Murphy the best of luck on Carolina. Glad to see he's doing well.


Last edited by Atomos2: 07-16-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Atomos2 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
  #984
Roboturner913
Registered User
 
Roboturner913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
I think the kid has looked solid so far. He actually reminds me of Justin Faulk this time last year. Not as good defensively as Faulk was then, but then again, I don't think Faulk was as good offensively.

At first glance, he seems to have a good instinctive feel, his breakout passes are already as good as anybody's on the team, and he can skate like no defenseman I can recall the franchise ever having and that includes guys like Hedican and Ozolinsh.

Roboturner913 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:37 AM
  #985
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He stuck out no more than any other defensemen, people simply attacked him more than any defensemen. It didn't matter that Hamilton, Reilly, whoever cost the team with goals against, a turnover from Murphy is worse than a turnover resulting in a goal from someone else.

Every single person who says he's horrible defensively is someone who wouldn't be able to watch him on a regular basis. When pressing for how they've seen them, they point out the World Juniors. Well even if he was horrible there, there's a small sample size. Then they say they've seen him "other places".

Press further, and you either don't get a reply or they say they watch him in the OHL, which the only way is to pay $7 a game and I doubt all these people pay $7 just to watch Murphy.

It's hearsay, and I have no idea where it started. People didn't think this back in his rookie year when he was half the defensive player he is now. People didn't even think it last year. It all started after that one turnover that led to a goal in the first summer series game, though he went on to be Canada's best player and good defensively in the next games.

You're one of the biggest culprits. I bet you think Sproul is better defensively
I'm one of the biggest culprits for what? Not watching him? Because thats definitely not true. I just dont think hes as good as you pump his tires to be. Hes a solid prospect, that I definitely dont think will live up to his hype but will probably carve out a decent NHL career as a PP guy.

There are plenty of people (including Kitchener fans) who post about him not being a rock defensively like you think he is. Why would everyone hate Murphy for no reason though is what I dont get? You say everyone makes up all these turnovers that he has and that none of these bad defensive plays are legit but yet so many people point them out.

Why would anyone hate Murphy or want to rag on him? I could see Rielly getting ragged on extra because hes a leaf or Hamilton because hes so hyped up but whats the reason that all these people would choose to pick on Murphy like you think?

Carolina is hardly represented on here, Kitchener isnt a team that people hate, Murphy isnt a cheap shot artist etc. So what reason do you think all these people have to point out flaws in Murphys game other than the fact that they are what they are and he needs to improve some areas of his game. As for the last Sproul comment, this thread isnt about him but I think hes came way further defensively than Murphy has since their draft year and that theyre pretty close now. Sprouls also got some attributes (size/reach) that give him a chance to better in the future as well

newfy is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:45 AM
  #986
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I'm one of the biggest culprits for what? Not watching him? Because thats definitely not true. I just dont think hes as good as you pump his tires to be. Hes a solid prospect, that I definitely dont think will live up to his hype but will probably carve out a decent NHL career as a PP guy.

There are plenty of people (including Kitchener fans) who post about him not being a rock defensively like you think he is. Why would everyone hate Murphy for no reason though is what I dont get? You say everyone makes up all these turnovers that he has and that none of these bad defensive plays are legit but yet so many people point them out.

Why would anyone hate Murphy or want to rag on him? I could see Rielly getting ragged on extra because hes a leaf or Hamilton because hes so hyped up but whats the reason that all these people would choose to pick on Murphy like you think?
I can't talk about you, but no one seemed to have anything against him until he was put on the WJC roster in front of Frank Corrado, earning the ire of Canucks fans.

He was then given favorable minutes over HF sensation Morgan Reilly, earning Murphy the ire of Leafs fans.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I certainly won't try to dissuade you. But in regards to the WJC, there are two reasons why the two largest represented fanbases on HF have distaste for Murphy.

Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:55 AM
  #987
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I think the kid has looked solid so far. He actually reminds me of Justin Faulk this time last year. Not as good defensively as Faulk was then, but then again, I don't think Faulk was as good offensively.

At first glance, he seems to have a good instinctive feel, his breakout passes are already as good as anybody's on the team, and he can skate like no defenseman I can recall the franchise ever having and that includes guys like Hedican and Ozolinsh.
didnt look terrible today, but he isnt ready for the bigs. maybe in a year he will look more comfortable.

luki here is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:59 AM
  #988
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
I can't talk about you, but no one seemed to have anything against him until he was put on the WJC roster in front of Frank Corrado, earning the ire of Canucks fans.

He was then given favorable minutes over HF sensation Morgan Reilly, earning Murphy the ire of Leafs fans.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I certainly won't try to dissuade you. But in regards to the WJC, there are two reasons why the two largest represented fanbases on HF have distaste for Murphy.
Based on the camp they all had and tournament play do you think that ire is undeserved?

newfy is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 01:01 AM
  #989
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Based on the camp they all had and tournament play do you think that ire is undeserved?
Well, the fact that some were blaming the entirety of Canada's loss on him...no?

Of course, I only watched U.S.A vs. Canada, and Murphy didn't stick out as being terrible, despite what the main board GDT would have you believe.


Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 02-25-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 01:51 AM
  #990
Roboturner913
Registered User
 
Roboturner913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
didnt look terrible today, but he isnt ready for the bigs. maybe in a year he will look more comfortable.
I would agree with you there, but I think what's he's lacking at the NHL level right now is simply confidence. That hesitancy would most likely be gone after 20-25 games, but he won't have that long to stay.

Honestly if he did stay he'd probably be an improvement over two guys on the Canes current NHL roster.

Roboturner913 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
  #991
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?rid=8&lid=1 - Click on the tab "next week" to see next week's schedule. There are no Kitchener games being broadcasted this week.

Attachment 61367

I don't mind you defending Murphy because his defense isn't as horrible as everyone says it is. But my issue comes with your continuous attacks stating people haven't seen him. Obviously I can't say if they have seen Murphy in Kitchener or not, but there are more ways to watch him than paying to watch him. As you can see in the attachment, you can't be a hundred percent sure they don't watch kitchener.

I wish Murphy the best of luck on Carolina. Glad to see he's doing well.
Yeah if you live around Kitchener. Somehow I doubt that many people live around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I'm one of the biggest culprits for what? Not watching him? Because thats definitely not true. I just dont think hes as good as you pump his tires to be. Hes a solid prospect, that I definitely dont think will live up to his hype but will probably carve out a decent NHL career as a PP guy.

There are plenty of people (including Kitchener fans) who post about him not being a rock defensively like you think he is. Why would everyone hate Murphy for no reason though is what I dont get? You say everyone makes up all these turnovers that he has and that none of these bad defensive plays are legit but yet so many people point them out.

Why would anyone hate Murphy or want to rag on him? I could see Rielly getting ragged on extra because hes a leaf or Hamilton because hes so hyped up but whats the reason that all these people would choose to pick on Murphy like you think?

Carolina is hardly represented on here, Kitchener isnt a team that people hate, Murphy isnt a cheap shot artist etc. So what reason do you think all these people have to point out flaws in Murphys game other than the fact that they are what they are and he needs to improve some areas of his game. As for the last Sproul comment, this thread isnt about him but I think hes came way further defensively than Murphy has since their draft year and that theyre pretty close now. Sprouls also got some attributes (size/reach) that give him a chance to better in the future as well
You are. Ever since the Summer Series, you've been on him. You even denied he had good games, despite all the praise he got for his performance there. Murphy isn't even close to hype, any thread that pops up has the majority of people saying he's awful. He's underrated if anything.

Where have I ever said he will be a rock defensively? He definitely is very good at the OHL level. Kitchener fans (Who are notorius for being negative anytime something goes wrong) don't deny this. You won't find a Kitchener fan who thinks he's horrible defensively. Different opinions sure, but anyone who watches him regularly doesn't think that.

Reilly and Hamilton have a big enough fanbase to drown out or silence detractos. Carolina doesn't. No junior team has enough of a fanbase to do it either. I said I don't know where the hate comes from, because people weren't this negative when Murphy was worse defensively then he is now.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
  #992
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
You are. Ever since the Summer Series, you've been on him. You even denied he had good games, despite all the praise he got for his performance there. Murphy isn't even close to hype, any thread that pops up has the majority of people saying he's awful. He's underrated if anything.

Where have I ever said he will be a rock defensively? He definitely is very good at the OHL level. Kitchener fans (Who are notorius for being negative anytime something goes wrong) don't deny this. You won't find a Kitchener fan who thinks he's horrible defensively. Different opinions sure, but anyone who watches him regularly doesn't think that.

Reilly and Hamilton have a big enough fanbase to drown out or silence detractos. Carolina doesn't. No junior team has enough of a fanbase to do it either. I said I don't know where the hate comes from, because people weren't this negative when Murphy was worse defensively then he is now.
I've been on him well before the summer series, you probably just started noticing it then. I've never denied hes had good games, he has but did you ever notice in that summer series the good games he had were the ones where he had 5 on 3 powerplays to run. I've never said hes a bad PP dman, I just dont think hes all that well rounded and doesnt have the D game to be trusted much at the next level.

You've basically said hes a rock defensively and you went on about how good he is to be trusted at the world juniors and yet even with his own coach behind the bench he wasnt trusted much at even strength. There are plenty of Kitchener fans who dont like his defensive zone play. But to me I lump in turnovers into that as well, not just his positioning and defensive coverage. You are probably the only person I've met who doesnt think Murphy has a bit of a turnover problem. As for hype, yes he was very hyped and still was up until the world junior tourney when people actually got a chance to see him. Not his best tournament but still he didnt live up to the hype he had from his draft in a pressure packed, nationally televised tournament.

I've never said hes horrible defensively (at the OHL level) either but I like to project players and dont think he has it to be trusted defensively at the next level. Even with his skating he was exposed on big ice quite a bit when it should've gave him a huge advantage

newfy is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
  #993
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
I'll predicate this by saying I have seen Murphy play live approximately 250 times and I'm a fan.

But chew on this: A young Murphy is to D, what a young Spezza was to forward.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
10-18-2013, 12:33 PM
  #994
Torgo
Registered User
 
Torgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I've been on him well before the summer series, you probably just started noticing it then. I've never denied hes had good games, he has but did you ever notice in that summer series the good games he had were the ones where he had 5 on 3 powerplays to run. I've never said hes a bad PP dman, I just dont think hes all that well rounded and doesnt have the D game to be trusted much at the next level.

You've basically said hes a rock defensively and you went on about how good he is to be trusted at the world juniors and yet even with his own coach behind the bench he wasnt trusted much at even strength. There are plenty of Kitchener fans who dont like his defensive zone play. But to me I lump in turnovers into that as well, not just his positioning and defensive coverage. You are probably the only person I've met who doesnt think Murphy has a bit of a turnover problem. As for hype, yes he was very hyped and still was up until the world junior tourney when people actually got a chance to see him. Not his best tournament but still he didnt live up to the hype he had from his draft in a pressure packed, nationally televised tournament.

I've never said hes horrible defensively (at the OHL level) either but I like to project players and dont think he has it to be trusted defensively at the next level. Even with his skating he was exposed on big ice quite a bit when it should've gave him a huge advantage
I personally thought he was able to handle himself in his own zone decently, but that's mostly because his skating is so good that he can be in position. His actual defensive tools weren't great.

Although his post draft seasons weren't as huge as some were hoping, I do agree with another poster that he will be better in the pros. Didn't look out of place at all last night for Carolina, good to see he's adjusting solidly so far to the pros.


Last edited by DaveG: 10-18-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: mod
Torgo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.