HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings/Monarchs Add Enforcer

Old
07-15-2006, 04:48 PM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Didn't mean it as a slight to you, it's just that it is what it is, and that all teams want their prospects to develop in the AHL rather than giving valuable ice time to players who are nothing more than minor league fodder.
As I said, I didn't take it personally it's just that whenever us Monarchs fans try to hold the Kings at their word, many folks here and on other boards are quick to point out our place in the pecking order and that the AHL is a development league...

Quote:
And was Hextall quoted as saying that he wants to reach the max limit of veterans to fill holes in Manchester?
From the June 14, 2006 Union Leader:

"Development will certainly be very important to us," said Hextall, adding that Manchester will have the full complement of veteran players (five) and will not compete under that limit as the Monarchs did last season.

"We won't just throw a bunch of young kids together and say, 'go get 'em, boys' . . . We want to surround our young players with character veterans that work hard and have all the intangibles of leadership. It will be a combination of winning and developing."

It's no secret that Manchester has failed to get out of the first round of the playoffs in the franchise's five-year history, much to the dismay of the league's largest fan base.

"It's one of those things that is well documented," said Hextall of the Monarchs' playoff struggles. "Everyone in the hockey world has heard it. It is something that we are going to change. We do want to win in Manchester and our intention and goal will be to win the Calder Cup."

UL Link: http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...6-5210e7888990

AHL Boards Link: http://www.ahlboards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4193

The UL article has been archived and the full text is available at the AHLboards link...

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind some of these guys will be loaned to Reading (Roussin perhaps, Stephenson, Werner, Fukufuji/Munce), they just don't have a ton of room to acquire 4-5 career AHLers. I would guess that maybe one more veteran will come from within the Kings roster, ideally, Armstrong and/or Weaver (if Dallman or Petiot make the Kings).

Maybe some of these AHL veterans don't want to sign with the Kings since they know they won't have a shot at earning a spot on the pro roster, and they would only be earning $75K in the minors. Guys like Ivanans and Buckley know their roles, they are pluggers, utility players and they don't cost much and they do fill a need as the Monarchs were lacking in toughness. Now with Kanko, Jackman, Ivanans and Buckley, they are set in that department.

I noticed you left off Giuliano from your proposed roster. He should be back on the Monarchs, and that right there could be considered as another AHL veteran and team leader. I could see them maybe adding two more players outside of the organization, a defenseman and a forward.
I left Giuliano off because he doesn't qualify as a veteran under the AHL rules, nor does Noah. But I'm certain these are the guys they're going to try to send to Manchester as the "veterans"...

They're going on the cheap Ziggy...

edit - Osprey pointed out that Giuliano does qualify as a veteran under the AHL rules....

Last edited by King Blazer: 07-15-2006 at 05:22 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Same **** happened when he mauled Gleason. Chicken ****.
What happened to the Chara love-fest, guys?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
What happened to the Chara love-fest, guys?
I'd still love to have him. BUT, when it comes to fighting, Chara is cheap imo.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I'd still love to have him. BUT, when it comes to fighting, Chara is cheap imo.
True dat. He is still an unreal defenceman, don't get me wrong...I would love to have him on my team. But that doesn't mean he isn't cheap.

Since when does "You are cheap" mean "I don't want you on my team"?

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Osprey

I just did the math and Giuliano has 263 games between the AHL and NHL. That qualifies him as a veteran, unfortunately.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:17 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I just did the math and Giuliano has 263 games between the AHL and NHL. That qualifies him as a veteran, unfortunately.
You're right, so there's a possible veteran...

Old
07-15-2006, 06:06 PM
kingsfan25

Well, KB...here's your chance to demand satisfaction:

http://www.lakings.com/2,4851.ftm

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 06:21 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Well, KB...here's your chance to demand satisfaction:

http://www.lakings.com/2,4851.ftm
Demand satisfaction? I'm just not going to buy their product until it improves...

Old
07-15-2006, 06:23 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Demand satisfaction? I'm just not going to buy their product until it improves...
You could also Ask A Crazy Ex-Goaltender what he intends to do.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 06:52 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
You could also Ask A Crazy Ex-Goaltender what he intends to do.
I'm old and jaded. As such, I'm going with:

Actions words

Old
07-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
I'm old and jaded. As such, I'm going with:

Actions words
Bring back Ted Donato!

Seriously, I'm sure the Kings will add a veteran scorer to compliment Pushkarev, Kopitar, and Tukonen. They added a few D and an enforcer already...give them till September.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 07:12 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Bring back Ted Donato!
Maybe not Ted, but that same type. An NHL guy, trying to work his way back with great leadership qualities. You don't get to be the captain then go on to be the head coach at Harvard if you don't have leadership abilities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Seriously, I'm sure the Kings will add a veteran scorer to compliment Pushkarev, Kopitar, and Tukonen. They added a few D and an enforcer already...give them till September.
I hear what you're saying. I'll believe the veteran scorer when it happens. I'm anxious for Harrold to start his pro career in Manchester...

Thruth be told, the last conversation I had with Gilmore, I thanked him for bringing Daigle and Jackman to the Monarchs at the end of last season. He was actually a bit caught off guard when I said "I want to thank you Kevin!" He looked at me, got a bit defensive and asked "what did I do now?" I told him thanks for bringing Daigle and Jackman in to try to help.

I'm hard on management when I don't think they're cutting it. However, I'm the first to thank them when they do something good. Both Taylor and Gilmore knew that was what to expect from me...