HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 5, Lightning 3

Old
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 5, Lightning 3

Before we begin, a request please.

These post-game threads have gotten increasingly contentious -- win or lose. Surely we can do better than the passive-aggressive sniping at each other that has taken over as of late.

Criticize the coaching, the players, the ice surface, Dan Potash... whatever strikes you. But please leave the shots at your fellow posters out of it. That includes little jabs that may not be aimed at someone in particular. We're just going to delete those posts outright and we'll toss people out of the thread if they keep doing it.

We're trying to make things a little constructive and civil around here and all of your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, guys.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Malkinstheman

(Plus/Minus) Penguins vs lightning 24/02/13

Not the best effort but still 2 points

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Great first period. Tampa roared back after that, but the Pens hung on and got the W.

I'll take it.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
BŁck Dich Baby!

++++Bennetts first as a Pen.
+ Fleury
+Crosby
+Vitale
+Martin

- Pens second periods are to just die.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

+Sid
+Martin
+Fleury
+DreamBeaut
+Vitale

-Orpik
-TK
-Malkin was invisible

+Disco giving BB a shot on the 5 on 3 and on the overall line construction.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
SteelFish87*

+ Letang was a beast and easily our best player tonight

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I liked how Beau celebrated his 1st goal as if it was his 23rd. He expects a lot more.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
wtbipyo

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
D Heinze

+Strong out(s) by Engelland except for that tape-to-tape to a Tampa player in the 2nd. What happened there big guy?
+HCDBGreat work don the cycle by the first line. And the third line, as a matter of fact. They were finding the man in the high-slot in a very well-coached manner. ]
+Vitale. Earning that fighing major! First good fight I can think of this year. I just wish that he took Lecavelier off instead. Where are his minutes in the 2nd and 3rd? I'm speaking anecdotally until I can see his numbers...
+Niskinen. Didnít notice him except for him standing a few guys up neatly. He also had a very messy shift int he second. Not going to hold it agains him as Fleury and Letang supported him very well.
++Martin. He looks confident out there. Not just because of the goal. I love Martin holding onto the puck and changing the angle on that shot.
++Letang the defender. Really great in two zones tonight
Dupuis. The same strong work that we have come to depend on night-in and night-out
+I like our forecheck tonight. Forced Tampa into stretch passes all night (that they did not connect on)
Conacher. This kid might be the real deal. I think St.Louis is a great tutor for him.

= Adams. Some brain farts. He canít keep this up and stay in the lineup. His 100% effort needs to be complimented by puck smarts. He usually has it. Tonight he didnít. If we didnít have a Ryan Whitney-soft lineup, I would say sit him for Boychuck.
= Sutter. Ugh. He just has no hands right now. I think he will start potting them, but right now nothing is bouncing his way (offensively). He played a strong strong game with a tough assignment tonight, though. Needs to win more faceoffs (anecdotally). I donít have the stats here yet, so I may be wrong.
= Cooke. I want to give him a plus for his great defensive play, but he had more than two boneheaded plays in the offensive zone. He got away with an elbowing penalty with 6 minutes left defending a 1 goal lead too.
= Orpik. He had a really tough assignment tonight. He had a couple great plays on some top-notch talent. That said, I have him as the last man beat on two goals against.

-Second periods. I cantí blame anyone for that scoring outburst, so I will blame everyone. I donít have any answers.
-Tanger as a triggerman. I donít remember him being this shaky on the blueline during the PP. I remember him shooting wide and I mean WIDE, but not this puck-fumbling BS.
-Turnovers turnovers turnovers. We play like this in May and it will be one-and-done again
-This is two games in a row that HCDB put Glass-Crosby-Adams out there to seal the game and I HATE IT. Not that itís a big deal, it just annoys me.
-- Pitbull and Flyer baby.

Kennedy - I didnít notice him tonight. I only remember one flubbed play by him. Any objective critiques?

Notice how the shutdown pairing with 2 minutes left in the game was Letang and Martin (not Orpik)

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I liked how Beau celebrated his 1st goal as if it was his 23rd. He expects a lot more.
I think he also realizes it was a 5 on 3 goal on a wide open net

Old
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

+Bennett
+Crosby line
+no injuries

-2nd periods
-almost losing a 3 goal lead
-I dont think Orpik had a good game at all.
-Malkin. Didn't even notice him out there.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

- Kennedy. He's where offense goes to die at the moment. He also is playing pretty terrible defense. I used to be a Kennedy defender, but dear god he's been absolutely horrible. If he plays one more game as a Penguin, it's one game too many.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

+ Vitale. Brought lots of energy and jam all game.

+ Martin. Good lord this guy's good this year.

+ Crosby

+ Sutter. Thought he quietly had a good game

- Richard Panik. Look kid, if you're Pat Kane or Steven Stamkos, you can have a goofy number. Call me old-fashioned, but if you had 40 points in the AHL last year, you should shut up and wear 14 or something.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think he also realizes it was a 5 on 3 goal on a wide open net
Ovechkin would have bulldozed the rink, lit all the fans on fire, and launched us all to Mars. ish...

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
gogasson

Not a pretty two points. Very lazy on the defensive clears, and cute back passes in our own zone caused too many scoring chances.

-Despres looked like a liabilty tonight, not knowing when the simple clear was the proper play instead of trying to skate around someone. Generally bad night for the whole defense clearing the puck. Bolts kept forechecking, and we kept trying to skate through it.

gogasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Saison Marguerite

++ Sid
+ Flower
+ Tanger
+ Beau

- Second period. Seriously, I don't know what's going on this season, but I cry every time second period rolls in for the Pens. What in the what.
- Tanger on the PP.
- Sid not getting a hatty, if only because the narrative would've been perfect (Ovi gets a hatty, then Sid - all in the same week - it's like it's 2009 all over again).

Saison Marguerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

+ Sid - I still don't think he's at the very top of his game which just shows how outrageously good he is. I think he's got another gear and another level still to show.

+ Neal/Kunitz - I thought both were battling pretty hard and making a lot of good little plays.

+ Team cycling - One of the better efforts we've had all year with cycling the puck

+ Fleury - It's unfair he takes such a hit in goals against this game because he deserved better. The team let him down defensively.

+ Bennett - looks more and more comfortable every game. His strength and boardplay look fine to me but I think he needs to improve his skating to really reach his potential as a player. Hopefully he and the team recognize this and have him work on skating every off-season he gets. It's one of those things that definitely can be improved. When Jordan Staal first joined us he was an awful skater and really awkward out there, but you could see the unteachable talent he had. His skating got better every year and it helped him a lot. Beau has the same thing, he's got skills others don't, he just needs to work on his skating.

+ Vitale - quintessential energy guy who should never be scratched

+ Paulie Martin - A beast

+ Bylsma for putting out Bennett on the 5-3.

- Craig Adams - he's been very good this year but this was his worst game of the season. a bad penalty and some uncharacteristic turnovers.

- Despres - I thought he was taking too long to make decisions with the puck and it almost cost him a few times.

- Sutter - He had I thought a great third period but his first two periods were pretty terrible. he kept bobbling pucks and turning them over.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pigs On The Wing

+ Bennett
+ Top Line
+ Paul Martin
+ Fleury

- Retarded line matching
- Kennedy
- Team Defense - Trouble getting out of our zone and their players were getting behind us a lot.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:28 PM
WarriorScholar

Kennedy still has some trade value, we have to keep him in there for another month.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

- Richard Panik. Look kid, if you're Pat Kane or Steven Stamkos, you can have a goofy number. Call me old-fashioned, but if you had 40 points in the AHL last year, you should shut up and wear 14 or something.
What about Conacher running around in 89. ****ing disgrace!

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
dogthateats

+Letang Defensively
-Letang offensively, he couldn't get a shot or pass through traffic
-Kennedy
+Sutter, Cooke, Dupuis looks like an ideal 3rd line if we get another top 6 winger
-There have been some really flukey goals against us the past few games

dogthateats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Ovechkin would have bulldozed the rink, lit all the fans on fire, and launched us all to Mars. ish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

I really don't get why people care at all about numbers. Sure, don't wear 99 or 66. Other than that, go for it. Its a number. in summation: you are old-fashioned

Old
02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
MtlPenFan

+ Jessica Chastain.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
PensFanSince1989

+ Sid, Fleury and Bennett

- We lose of they don't start Lindback

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
hctopcheds11

I'll preface this by saying this may sound like a homer comment but:

Watching Stamkos tonight and I still see him as a top 5 guy, not a top 3 player. He just makes miserable decisions with thr puck and seems to always get flukes points.

Love the player, love his shot but if you watched this game and feel he is as good as 87 or 71 and a few others, well not sure what to say.

I really see him as a Brett Hull, who will have some really crazy stats but never will dominate a playoff series like the greats.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote