HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your New Jersey Devils vs Winnipeg Jets

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
this made my night.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Old
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Ya there definitely seemed to be some confusion on what to do with the goal chant when we scored. Jets suck and Winnipeg sucks both don't roll off the tongue.

Definite uproar over the refs deciding to get involved in the game late in the 3rd as well. Might of been juiced, but every sports venue does that. I've definitely seen far worse crowds for a low-profile out of division Sunday game. Team just didn't give us a reason to cheer much. No big hits, not much sustained pressure, not big saves.
Oh the crowd that was there was into the game, no question. I'm just saying there looked like enough empty seats in the non-club areas that it would be a 16,500-17,000 as opposed to a 'real' sellout.

The funny part about that no-goal is I was pretty much the only one that didn't stand. I heard the whistle two seconds before he fired the puck in. Of course I didn't know that it should have been a penalty shot since it was at the other end. Too bad the refs were much closer and didn't know it either.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
At the end of the day, the Devils are 10-9 and trending downward. The defense looks SLOW and absolutely incapable of clearing the zone. Mark Fayne, Anton Volchenkov, and Bryce Salvador have absolutely no breakout ability.

I honestly forgot Josefson was playing by the second period.

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson looked good. Keep them together. PLEASE PETE I BEG OF YOU JUST TRY HENRIQUE-LOKTIONOV-KOVALCHUK FOR ONE GAME. PLEASE.

I'm finished with the Barch experiment. The Devils are not playing inspired, fiery, emotional hockey. The days of staged fights in the NHL are over. Every time Barch fights it's out of nowhere and completely ruins the flow of the game. When everyone's healthy, Carter, Bernier, Clarkson, Volchenkov, and Salvador can be tough. We don't need a goon.
Ya I am tired of Barch as well. One of his main, and only jobs is to fight and he pretty much sucks at it. He has to instigator penalties this year for dropping his damn gloves to soon, and just seems to start staged fights out of no where. I still can't figure out what the point of his fight today was. He is wasting a roster spot that could be used with someone with more skill so we could at least attempt to roll 4 lines

I also think JJ got benched briefly in the third at least. I do remember a faceoff that had Gio, Kovy, and Barch on the ice of all things.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

There was a 1st kind of "must win" game after the 4 losses in a row at the start of the season, and the team responded pretty well. The next one is going to be our 2nd "must win" game. Seriously it's the Jets again, they're not the best team out there, their defence is vulnerable and our guys better gotta seek revenge.

A solid 60 minutes performance would the icing on the cake.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Devils86

So Yayo get the blame and we get calls for Matt Anderson and Peter Harrold to be our saviors... really? Yayo did not have a good game but he is the least of our worries, He played under 9 min. How bout our top 2 C... even with the goal Zajac now had 2 goals and 3 points in his last 17. Henrique has 7 pts and 16 shots on goal the entire season. Gio is our 4th leading scorer. Our top players need to play better The biggest issue is if you honestly look at is we only have 3 true top 6 players in Kovy, Elias and Clarkson. Henrique should really be our 3rd line checking center ATM but he gets elevated and is not quite that player yet. Just as we have a bunch of second / third pair D . Larsson shows flashes but hes not a top 2 D yet. Neither is Andy Greene. When you have a solid but not spectacular team when your best dont play well nights like today will happen,

Old
02-24-2013, 10:21 PM
njdevil26

Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Butler/Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Trade for a third line center OR a winger (Stafford-Setoguchi)

Obviously I'm not a GM.... but this scenario is what I feel would have the team in the best shape to win at the moment.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Oh the crowd that was there was into the game, no question. I'm just saying there looked like enough empty seats in the non-club areas that it would be a 16,500-17,000 as opposed to a 'real' sellout.

The funny part about that no-goal is I was pretty much the only one that didn't stand. I heard the whistle two seconds before he fired the puck in. Of course I didn't know that it should have been a penalty shot since it was at the other end. Too bad the refs were much closer and didn't know it either.
Oh I heard it too, and I didn't see the penalty until later, but in real time it did seem like an extremely quick whistle. Most of the crowd must not of heard the whistle, but I was still confused that the puck was still moving yet the blew it dead. It is what it is, but the refs blew it on that sequence. We phoned the rest of the period in after that, which is on us.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
At the end of the day, the Devils are 10-9 and trending downward.
People really need to stop with making 'record adjustments'. 10-9 is not factually accurate. Especially with two of the losses coming in a shootout. If you're going to adjust the record at all it's more like 10-7-2 with the skills competition defeats but record itself is kind of misleading since there are always going to be more wins than losses total in the NHL.

Besides, 2-4-1 against as bad a schedule as you're going to get over a seven-game stretch is enough of a red flag that you don't have to artifically decrease the overall record.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Parise9Crosby87

only caught the 1st period what the f happened

Old
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
So Yayo get the blame and we get calls for Matt Anderson and Peter Harrold to be our saviors... really? Yayo did not have a good game but he is the least of our worries, He played under 9 min. How bout our top 2 C... even with the goal Zajac now had 2 goals and 3 points in his last 17. Henrique has 7 pts and 16 shots on goal the entire season. Gio is our 4th leading scorer. Our top players need to play better The biggest issue is if you honestly look at is we only have 3 true top 6 players in Kovy, Elias and Clarkson. Henrique should really be our 3rd line checking center ATM but he gets elevated and is not quite that player yet. Just as we have a bunch of second / third pair D . Larsson shows flashes but hes not a top 2 D yet. Neither is Andy Greene. When you have a solid but not spectacular team when your best dont play well nights like today will happen,
Don't even sugarcoat Josefson, he's been awful. He half-caused the PK goal against by drifting towards Gionta leaving the point wide open.

Yeah Zajac and Henrique need to play better but it's not like they're going anywhere soon, we have to ride it out with them. We don't need to ride it out with Josefson right now, he can stay in Albany a while longer. Especially when he can't even perform his 'strength' (defensively) right now.

And if we were playing defensemen on merit, Harrold would deserve to play over like four guys today. Only Fayne and Sal didn't completely blow, although Sal trying to hold pucks in the zone is usually a recurring nightmare.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
RJK

i'm all for switching henny to wing and promoting Loki as he seems to really have some ability finding pockets and getting the puck on his wingers stick with space to work. kovy didn't really look interested today and we need him to be our leader as he's the best player on the team. i think harrold really could help this team with his skating and passing ability. our D right now is just a bunch of stay at home guys with the slowest feet ever

http://www.facebook.com/DevilsFansOutsideOfNewJersey

Old
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Kevo18

*sigh*. Thanks devs, just, thanks.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Watch the game again, Loktionov and a few others had their fair share of solid chances. Jets on the other hand were very opportunistic and capitalized on our mistakes. The PP goal and the breakaway were really avoidable.

The only thing I really disliked is the lack of urgency at the start of the 3rd period. Literally a slump.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Could they give us a few more minutes to exit the building before starting the fireworks. I basically missed them.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post

Tix sold,not who shows up.
Looked close enough for me for a Gomez.
I did not hear the whistle.
Bad job by the refs there.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
SteveCangialosi123

how's Yayo getting blamed for the loss? he was brutal, but we lost because Kovy, Larsson, and really the all of the d were horrendous. lotki, zajac, patty, and bernier were the only ones who showed up imo.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
i'm all for switching henny to wing and promoting Loki as he seems to really have some ability finding pockets and getting the puck on his wingers stick with space to work. kovy didn't really look interested today and we need him to be our leader as he's the best player on the team. i think harrold really could help this team with his skating and passing ability. our D right now is just a bunch of stay at home guys with the slowest feet ever

http://www.facebook.com/DevilsFansOutsideOfNewJersey
Holding the blue line has been major issue so far. Relatively speaking to our defensive corps, Harrold's a very good puck handler. So that makes sense to me.

Who to sit ? I don't care, there's plenty of choices.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:49 PM
NBC Hockey

Quote:
So Yayo get the blame and we get calls for Matt Anderson and Peter Harrold to be our saviors... really?
Anderson didn't get a fair shot and Harrold was solid in the playoffs. Not that ridiculous. You obviously are not going to sit your top centers or guys who have proven time and time again they can help the team out. That would be stupid. But sometimes, a shakeup can be in order. Surprises come along and can really help the team out. I'm not saying I don't want Yayo on this team, but it's probably one of the least ridiculous things said on this board.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Rella17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Could they give us a few more minutes to exit the building before starting the fireworks. I basically missed them.
got to the parking lot just as they started

was funny hearing all the car alarms go off

Old
02-24-2013, 10:57 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC Hockey View Post
Surprises come along and can really help the team out.
One of whom WAS Harrold last year. Another of which is now our savior up front, since the pocket Russian has been the only one producing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
They should give people at least five minutes or so to get down there. Maybe ten considering it was a sellout so it's going to be more congested leaving. I'm glad they didn't start it too late, since I only had an hour postgame with the lots closing at that point. I lollygagged it down there and still saw five minutes of it.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC Hockey View Post
Anderson didn't get a fair shot and Harrold was solid in the playoffs. Not that ridiculous. You obviously are not going to sit your top centers or guys who have proven time and time again they can help the team out. That would be stupid. But sometimes, a shakeup can be in order. Surprises come along and can really help the team out. I'm not saying I don't want Yayo on this team, but it's probably one of the least ridiculous things said on this board.
Wanna stick Matt Anderson in for Barch so be it but when were saying hes what the team is missing thats a sorry state. I happen to like Harrold he could add a bit of speed but blaming our 3rd and 4th liners for the teams struggles is like blaming the umbrellas for the rain.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
got to the parking lot just as they started

was funny hearing all the car alarms go off
I stayed til the end as always, used the men's room briefly then had to head down from the upper concourse. Heard the first booms halfway down the first escalator.

Only reason most of crowd stayed was the fireworks.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:18 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Wanna stick Matt Anderson in for Barch so be it but when were saying hes what the team is missing thats a sorry state. I happen to like Harrold he could add a bit of speed but blaming our 3rd and 4th liners for the teams struggles is like blaming the umbrellas for the rain.
Nobody's saying that he's a 'missing link', just saying that he should have been playing over Josefson, especially since Josefson had barely gotten back to Albany and hadn't had time to improve anything all that significantly since he was demoted.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:21 PM
SteveCangialosi123

How about we blame Kovy and the d for the loss? Not the guy who played what, 8 mins? Josefson needs to b me better, but he's not gonna win us games. Ya know who is gonna win us games? Kovy along with the ENTIRE d core.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

When was the last time Henrique scored?

Closed Thread