HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need a new Synergy

Old
07-15-2006, 10:44 PM
RangerSteve

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Need a new Synergy

Okay, my Easton Synergy just completely cracked at the blade and partially the shaft That being said, I'm taking a look at one of the newer models. I recently purchased a Synergy 350(Yes, very bad idea! Do not buy this POS. I purchased it online without seeing how it felt at a local hockey shop. I'm also fully aware I brought this all upon myself ). Anyway, I've been taking a look at the SL, ST, Stealth, Z-bubble Shafts, and the Synergy II shafts as well. Some of my teammates use the SL's but they seem to go thru them like water. I'm learning toward the ST...any suggestions?

Also if anyone has any comprable shafts let me know. I've been using the Sakic curve with a 100 flex for about 6 years now.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Everest

Retail Synergy's are too expensive. Track down a sports store that buys some pro stock synergy's and you'll save yourself BIG TIME $$$. I picked up 3 of Andre Nikolishin's sticks for the same price as one Stealth!!
The pro stock sticks tend to come with a little less conventional curvature and more variety in lie too.
Just look at the back side of the shaft and it should be labelled "PRO STOCK ONLY"...not sure what they would go for in American dollars...but they were 125$ CDN.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 11:21 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
the problem with pro stocks is no warranty. Personally, I'd go with either the ST or CNT stealth. Or try to find a synthesis shaft on sale(because they changed the name to the synergy II). The CNT stealth should be more durable and the ST and Synthesis should be on par with eachother on durability.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 11:40 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
Okay, my Easton Synergy just completely cracked at the blade and partially the shaft That being said, I'm taking a look at one of the newer models. I recently purchased a Synergy 350(Yes, very bad idea! Do not buy this POS. I purchased it online without seeing how it felt at a local hockey shop. I'm also fully aware I brought this all upon myself ). Anyway, I've been taking a look at the SL, ST, Stealth, Z-bubble Shafts, and the Synergy II shafts as well. Some of my teammates use the SL's but they seem to go thru them like water. I'm learning toward the ST...any suggestions?

Also if anyone has any comprable shafts let me know. I've been using the Sakic curve with a 100 flex for about 6 years now.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
Like the guy above said (and personally I've used all of the easton sticks you're considering except the 350), I'd go with the ST or the Stealth CNT, both have good durability and good performance. SLs will break too easily, STs are nice sticks.

PanthersRule96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 07:59 AM
RangerSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule View Post
Like the guy above said (and personally I've used all of the easton sticks you're considering except the 350), I'd go with the ST or the Stealth CNT, both have good durability and good performance. SLs will break too easily, STs are nice sticks.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I use to use the Easton T-Flex with a wood blade and since have switched to the 'One piece'. Do you think that there is a big difference between the one piece and say a combination of an Easton Shaft with a synergy blade attached to it?

Old
07-16-2006, 08:52 AM
TBLfan

I have a synthesis shaft with a synthesis composite blade and it really feels as good a OPS to me.

I would imagine that if I was using a wood blade that it would have a better "feel" but it wouldn't have the great balance that the full composite setup has.

Old
07-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
If you want a great mix of performance and durability you should try a CCM Vector. I've used a T-120 for over a year now and have only gone through 3 sticks. They continue to perform even after having chunks hacked out of them from slashes etc. I would never go back to Easton after using the Vector. I also find that the CCM keeps it's stiffness alot longer than the Synergy, which seemed to break down quickly.

If you have ALOT of money, Easton is a good choice. If you need to get your stick budget down, try out the Vector.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
HockeyMonkey.com has a big selection of the Easton Pro Stock sticks, I think they start at $120 US. I broke the SL within 2 months, switched to the Stealth and haven't had any problems yet so I would say stay away from the SL. It's super light and super fragile-not something you look for in a $150 hockey stick.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 06:06 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
That is exactly what I was thinking. I use to use the Easton T-Flex with a wood blade and since have switched to the 'One piece'. Do you think that there is a big difference between the one piece and say a combination of an Easton Shaft with a synergy blade attached to it?
Depends on the shaft, if it were a Synergy II or synthesis shaft, then the difference is minimal. The difference between them just seem larger due to marketing by all these "one-piece" manufacturers. Even a normal shaft with a synergy blade wouldn't be a huge difference but to be honest I'd reccommend getting a synergy shaft if you are going to use the synergy blade. If you know how to shoot though, you should be able to shoot without problem with any of them, I'm just shooting around at the local rink for hours everyday, using stealths, SLs, warriors, and a wooden stick and the only difference is the one pieces have a quicker release and more power, the shafts and synergy blades would have a minimal difference, plus you'd get more for your moneys worth because you can easily replace the blade.

Old
07-16-2006, 07:52 PM
TBLfan

Wood sticks are inconsistant and break down fast. Also because the flex isn't designed, the flexpoint is throughout the stick and not designed where it will be the best for shooting(low kickpoint).

Old
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Wood sticks are inconsistant and break down fast. Also because the flex isn't designed, the flexpoint is throughout the stick and not designed where it will be the best for shooting(low kickpoint).
Since the first time I ever used a composite stick I've insisted that the single biggest advantadge over wood sticks is:weight.
Its particularly evident when you go back to a wooden stick once in awhile...you LOSE so much in terms of ability to move your stick quickly...the synergy really helps a lot more than just shooting...it enables you to knock MORE pucks out of the air,catch more passes and keep your stick active in PK situations...
So...if your "just shooting around at the local rink" then,NO,you aren't going to notice HUGE advantadges of the Synergy...but in games its a different story altogether.
I'd love to be one of those "old school guys" who refuses to go to the new technology...but too many times my Synergy has been KEY for me knocking down pucks or deflecting shots that I NEVER would have been deft enough to pull off with a conventional sticks.
My shot PROBABLY IS NOT significantly better...to tell the truth..and one thing I had to realize was that just because you HAVE a synergy...its not a license to SNIPE. For about a year my overall game really suffered as I developed a "one track mind" with the new Synergy in my hands...I was determined to take snapshots and try and make plays by utilizing the new rage in the game...(the "flex" stick)...but now I am wise to where I went wrong...the snapshot isn't for everyone. Its generally a shot that is effective for players who are moving lower to the ground and playing "behind" the puck as opposed to "over top of the puck"...for lanky frames like me...I need to stick to a traditional,pure wrist shot...or...if I get the time...the SLAPSHOT(both of which the Synergy DOES enhance)...but the snapper is a tricky shot because it can feel so good...but really its RARELY a smart play if your not a STRONG snapshooter...because it is actually LESS accurate than even a slapshot for many people....the difference is that MISSED snapshots tend to stay on net...but they KILL a scoring chance even faster than a wide-of the net slapper because the are EASY saves...I know I am way off topic here...but the Synergy topic caught my eye because they have really created a phenomenon in hockey nowadays...we see all shapes/sizes and styles of players legkicking and snapping there shots from all over the ice...but forgetting that shot power is a distant 2nd in importance to accuarcy or shot selection and for ALL YOU "SYNERGISTS" out there I think you will do well to concentrate on more than just shooting...because your light weight stick has SO MUCH MORE TO OFFER than just flex. So don't let it eat your game/imagination UP!!

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 08:56 PM
EazyB97

I'm trying a Synergy II right now with a Synergy II blade in it. It's okay, I like my Xn10 w/ T-Flex Drury combo a bit better. I think TPS line performs better than Eastons and can be had a bit cheaper. If you want to stick with Easton, I'd definatley suggest trying to grab some cheap older Synergies on Ebay or close-out from another store. Stay away from the SL if you are looking for durability.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 09:33 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Since the first time I ever used a composite stick I've insisted that the single biggest advantadge over wood sticks is:weight.
Its particularly evident when you go back to a wooden stick once in awhile...you LOSE so much in terms of ability to move your stick quickly...the synergy really helps a lot more than just shooting...it enables you to knock MORE pucks out of the air,catch more passes and keep your stick active in PK situations...
So...if your "just shooting around at the local rink" then,NO,you aren't going to notice HUGE advantadges of the Synergy...but in games its a different story altogether.
I'd love to be one of those "old school guys" who refuses to go to the new technology...but too many times my Synergy has been KEY for me knocking down pucks or deflecting shots that I NEVER would have been deft enough to pull off with a conventional sticks.
My shot PROBABLY IS NOT significantly better...to tell the truth..and one thing I had to realize was that just because you HAVE a synergy...its not a license to SNIPE. For about a year my overall game really suffered as I developed a "one track mind" with the new Synergy in my hands...I was determined to take snapshots and try and make plays by utilizing the new rage in the game...(the "flex" stick)...but now I am wise to where I went wrong...the snapshot isn't for everyone. Its generally a shot that is effective for players who are moving lower to the ground and playing "behind" the puck as opposed to "over top of the puck"...for lanky frames like me...I need to stick to a traditional,pure wrist shot...or...if I get the time...the SLAPSHOT(both of which the Synergy DOES enhance)...but the snapper is a tricky shot because it can feel so good...but really its RARELY a smart play if your not a STRONG snapshooter...because it is actually LESS accurate than even a slapshot for many people....the difference is that MISSED snapshots tend to stay on net...but they KILL a scoring chance even faster than a wide-of the net slapper because the are EASY saves...I know I am way off topic here...but the Synergy topic caught my eye because they have really created a phenomenon in hockey nowadays...we see all shapes/sizes and styles of players legkicking and snapping there shots from all over the ice...but forgetting that shot power is a distant 2nd in importance to accuarcy or shot selection and for ALL YOU "SYNERGISTS" out there I think you will do well to concentrate on more than just shooting...because your light weight stick has SO MUCH MORE TO OFFER than just flex. So don't let it eat your game/imagination UP!!
I don't think the weight is THAT big of an issue(but I am a pretty big/strong guy), it obviously has some effect(especially late in the game) but it's not a number 1 reason to buy a composite.

Why I like composite sticks:
1) Consistancy
2) Durability, don't have to buy a new stick every other week.
3) Quicker shot, leaves your blade faster
4) Weight
5) Ability to turn a OPS into a shaft and use it as a backup or sell it. Gives you more life to a broken stick.
6) Not having to find a stick that's the right length, can use an end plug
7) Availability of curves
8) Makes my "soft" hands softer(accepting passes, deflecting shots, etc.)
9) The actual feel of the stick in my hands, better shape and more options on dimentions of shaft
10) The wide variety of choice. You don't like CCM sticks but you like the Lacavalier blade and you like TPS sticks... Buy a Vector blade and a TPS shaft, it's simple. You like composite sticks but you want the "feel" of wood, tapered shaft/wood blade, done(close enough). Options are practically endless.

Old
07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
RangerSteve

Thanks guys for all the info. I actually picked up the Synergy ST Grip and was able to use it tonight. Great feel with the stick, not too heavy either. Scored a goal in a strong victory as well.

Old
07-16-2006, 10:32 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the info. I actually picked up the Synergy ST Grip and was able to use it tonight. Great feel with the stick, not too heavy either. Scored a goal in a strong victory as well.
I have one, good choice, I just ended up hating the curve I picked on it (Lindros Bauer curve is the best curve ever lol!) and I thought I'd be able to adjust to a Gaborik Easton but didn't work out too well for me.

Old
07-16-2006, 10:35 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
This is true, I just went back to a wooden stick for when I skate this summer and I had used a once piece for 5 years. Weights a big difference, quickness of shot too, snapshots though, if you know how to take one, you'll get the most out of your one piece stick, but I think that's also why I break so many, because if you flex into your stick and lean into a good snap, it wears on your stick.

Old
07-16-2006, 10:39 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule View Post
I have one, good choice, I just ended up hating the curve I picked on it (Lindros Bauer curve is the best curve ever lol!) and I thought I'd be able to adjust to a Gaborik Easton but didn't work out too well for me.
Next time try the Iginla, it's easton's version of the Lindros. Just for reference the Recchi is CCM's version.

Old
07-16-2006, 11:33 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Next time try the Iginla, it's easton's version of the Lindros. Just for reference the Recchi is CCM's version.
I have the Iginla on my SL and on my Stealth and had a Recchi on a V130. I didn't like the Recchi because of the heel and the Iginla's lie is different than the Lindros I believe, plus the curve isn't as much and the blade I believe is shorter but those would definitely be the closest. I like the Fedorov curve on teh warrior too actually but I've seen the new Heatley curve and I'll consider it next time. Thanks.

Old
07-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Just putting my 2 cents in here...I just started playing with a Stealth (Gaborik, 85 flex) and it is the best stick I have ever used. I swear my wrist shot is 10mph faster using that stick over a regular synergy.

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:25 AM
stick9

I agree with what Everest and TBLfan are saying. Everest's point about weight was something I noticed when I first went to comp shaft and to a larger degree when I went to a OPS.

Switching to a OPS didn't turn my slapper into a cannon. It did help it though. The part of my game where I noticed the biggest difference was handling the puck. The first time I used a OPS stick I was amazed at how easily I was collecting hard passes. I've always been a decent stickhandler and the OPS improved that too. I think it's due to the lighter weight and better feel.

Overall, did the OPS improve my shooting - yeah a little. The biggest difference came to little things. The things that sometimes you take for granted.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Brodeur

If you like intermediate sticks, HockeyMonkey.com has a great clearance on a few shafts right now. You can get a Synthesis + blade combo for $70 (if you happen to use LH Forsberg/Iginla curves). Should feel about the same as a Synergy and you get the added flexibility of being able to swap the blades if they get worn out.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

My advice: If you want an ST or Si-Core, go to Sport-Check because they are only $130 Cdn.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Islesfan039

Send a message via AIM to Islesfan039
Have you considered Ballistik? Great sticks, custom order so you can pick your length, flex, and curvature. www.ballistikhockey.com

Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with Ballistik, just giving some advice, my friend who is very picky about his sticks bought 3 Ballistiks a few months ago and has been very happy with them.

-- George.

Islesfan039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan079 View Post
Have you considered Ballistik? Great sticks, custom order so you can pick your length, flex, and curvature. www.ballistikhockey.com

Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with Ballistik, just giving some advice, my friend who is very picky about his sticks bought 3 Ballistiks a few months ago and has been very happy with them.

-- George.
Really? I tried one out and hated it. I liked the Rebellion stick I tried out though.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 08:01 PM
EazyB97

I use to work at a store that sold both Ballistik and Rebellion. I wasn't impressed with either. I could see using the Rebellion for roller, but not much more. The Ballistik's were just terrible. Poor quality, terribly unbalanced, boxy shape, etc..

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote