HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
  #676
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Yes, and he's French too. Sign him up to st least make the locals happy.
Staubitz, not Labrie lol

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:25 AM
  #677
Mynameismark*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Prust cant keep fighting all these giants on his own man. He's gonna break down one day when we need him most.

Love Prust but we need a guy who is going to be able to reach and land a punch against these bigger guys at some point.

Mynameismark* is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:42 AM
  #678
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,157
vCash: 500
The Has will have a hard time if they face a tough read like Toronto in the playoffs.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
02-23-2013, 08:16 AM
  #679
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The Has will have a hard time if they face a tough read like Toronto in the playoffs.
And Boston of course. Maybe we will get lucky and play Rangers or a Florida team instead.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 06:57 PM
  #680
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
What would it cost us to get Neil from Ottawa? Their hurting for this year and will most likely be sellers at the deadline? He'd be a great addition considering our newfound playing style

Pigems* is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 06:59 PM
  #681
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
What would it cost us to get Neil from Ottawa? Their hurting for this year and will most likely be sellers at the deadline? He'd be a great addition considering our newfound playing style
Probably too much that we'd be willing to pay. But I agree that he would be a great addition. The flip side is that since people b!tched bout Prust's contract, they surely won't like Neil's contract

disturbedraven is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
  #682
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Probably too much that we'd be willing to pay. But I agree that he would be a great addition. The flip side is that since people b!tched bout Prust's contract, they surely won't like Neil's contract
What his contract look like? I wonder if weber or Kaberle might interest them as part of a deal since karlson in out as of now

Pigems* is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
  #683
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,013
vCash: 500
I know some people here want an heavyweight that can play hockey too but that is just hard to find. I don't think there are any in the AHL right now and the teams that have some don't want to trade them for peanuts.

I hate seeing Prust fight giants. He knew he would lose to the much taller and bigger Finley and he fought him anyway but one day he is gonna get hurt. Reach is a big advantage in a hockey fight and Prust doesn't have it. How about we sign a 6'4"+ heavyweight until we find one that also knows how to play hockey?

68 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
  #684
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I know some people here want an heavyweight that can play hockey too but that is just hard to find. I don't think there are any in the AHL right now and the teams that have some don't want to trade them for peanuts.

I hate seeing Prust fight giants. He knew he would lose to the much taller and bigger Finley and he fought him anyway but one day he is gonna get hurt. Reach is a big advantage in a hockey fight and Prust doesn't have it. How about we sign a 6'4"+ heavyweight until we find one that also knows how to play hockey?
I love this idea

Pigems* is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:44 PM
  #685
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I posted this on the trade forum...

Add the odd pick/prospect here or there, I'd like something around:


To
  • Yannick Weber
  • Ryan White

To
  • George Parros
  • Jerred Smithson

We all know Parros. He's no all-star, but he can play hockey in a limited role on the 4th line. Cap hit of $938k this year and next.

For those who don't know Smithson, he's a 6'3" 210 lbs right handed center with 43 hits already this season, and with a faceoff percentage of 55.2%. Pending UFA.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
  #686
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I posted this on the trade forum...

Add the odd pick/prospect here or there, I'd like something around:


To
  • Yannick Weber
  • Ryan White

To
  • George Parros
  • Jerred Smithson

We all know Parros. He's no all-star, but he can play hockey in a limited role on the 4th line. Cap hit of $938k this year and next.

For those who don't know Smithson, he's a 6'3" 210 lbs right handed center with 43 hits already this season, and with a faceoff percentage of 55.2%. Pending UFA.
Wouldn't give away White for this.

I'd do Weber for Smithson.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
  #687
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
What would it cost us to get Neil from Ottawa? Their hurting for this year and will most likely be sellers at the deadline? He'd be a great addition considering our newfound playing style
Neil is a girl. He only fights guys smaller than him. Not once does he even try to make the leafs or bruins mad at him.
You guys are worshipping an imposter.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 09:57 PM
  #688
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Neil is a girl. He only fights guys smaller than him. Not once does he even try to make the leafs or bruins mad at him.
You guys are worshipping an imposter.
He fought plenty of tough guys... But he's at his best when he hustles the other team stars.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
  #689
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Wouldn't give away White for this.

I'd do Weber for Smithson.
I'd do it. Really don't get the White love affair in MTL. Dude runs around and takes himself out of position with stupid hits, fights, and does not much else. Parros is at worst the same player, and is a far better fighter.

All that being said, I don't really know if we should go out and sign a 5 minutes a night plug. We had one stupid game against Toronto that was already out of hand before it got fight filled. It's not like Boston has our number in the playoffs, we lost to them the year they won the cup in 7 games on a deflection off of Jeff Halpern's skates (keep in mind that was the year we were Pacioretty-less). The last series we played against them, we got blown out in 4 and the team was a gong show. We definitely aren't as good as Boston, but we don't get absolutely wrecked or anything. Again, there was one fight filled game involving players who aren't on our team anymore.


Last edited by Noob616: 02-24-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Noob616 is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
  #690
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I'd do it. Really don't get the White love affair in MTL. Dude runs around and takes himself out of position with stupid hits, fights, and does not much else. Parros is at worst the same player, and is a far better fighter.

All that being said, I don't really know if we should go out and sign a 5 minutes a night plug. We had one stupid game against Toronto that was already out of hand before it got fight filled. It's not like Boston has our number in the playoffs, we lost to them the year they won the cup in 7 games on a deflection off of Jeff Halpern's skates (keep in mind that was the year we were Pacioretty-less). The last series we played against them, we got blown out in 4 and the team was a gong show. We definitely aren't as good as Boston, but we don't get absolutely wrecked or anything. Again, there was one fight filled game involving players who aren't on our team anymore.
You don't watch many games do you ?

Yes he kind of lost a game for us... But he's been great for us defensively and adds alot more grit than Parros.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
02-24-2013, 11:11 PM
  #691
SouthernHab
jak się masz
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You don't watch many games do you ?

Yes he kind of lost a game for us... But he's been great for us defensively and adds alot more grit than Parros.
Along the same line as Eller kind of losing a game for us when he took a penalty and the Islanders scored on that PP to put them down by one........the same scenario as White.

Sounds silly, doesnt it?

SouthernHab is online now  
Old
02-24-2013, 11:14 PM
  #692
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Neil is a girl. He only fights guys smaller than him. Not once does he even try to make the leafs or bruins mad at him.
You guys are worshipping an imposter.
Neil fought Chara last year. Twice, maybe. And he dropped him. He is a good player too. He is not the best fighter in the league, but he is pretty good at it (better than anyone we have) and he is an effective bottom line player. I would rather pursue top tier players, but I would take Neil on the team anyday if he didn't cost too much.

andy28 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
  #693
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Along the same line as Eller kind of losing a game for us when he took a penalty and the Islanders scored on that PP to put them down by one........the same scenario as White.

Sounds silly, doesnt it?
Difference is one was a bone head move that got Buffalo two PP... Heck I'm not even arguing with you at this point. You've been biased and you know it.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 09:29 AM
  #694
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Wouldn't give away White for this.

I'd do Weber for Smithson.
Way too much for a pending UFA (Smithson). The added value for the Habs (and the reason I put it here and not in the proposal thread) is Parros, who not only fills a need, but is under contract at a reasonable cap hit for another season after this one.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
  #695
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Neil fought Chara last year. Twice, maybe. And he dropped him. He is a good player too. He is not the best fighter in the league, but he is pretty good at it (better than anyone we have) and he is an effective bottom line player. I would rather pursue top tier players, but I would take Neil on the team anyday if he didn't cost too much.
we don't have the same meaning of the word "dropped". Chara balance is crap. Its not a secret

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 12:58 PM
  #696
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I know some people here want an heavyweight that can play hockey too but that is just hard to find. I don't think there are any in the AHL right now and the teams that have some don't want to trade them for peanuts.

I hate seeing Prust fight giants. He knew he would lose to the much taller and bigger Finley and he fought him anyway but one day he is gonna get hurt. Reach is a big advantage in a hockey fight and Prust doesn't have it. How about we sign a 6'4"+ heavyweight until we find one that also knows how to play hockey?
Made the point before and I'll make it again. Signing a heavyweight won't have any effect on Prust fighting 'giants'. Go look at his record. Prust will fight whoever he happen to think needs fighting at the time he is on the ice.

Corncob is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
  #697
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Neil is a girl. He only fights guys smaller than him. Not once does he even try to make the leafs or bruins mad at him.
You guys are worshipping an imposter.
You don't get it, the goal is to find somebody that can hold his own against the magority of heavyweights and who's willing to defend his teammates and spark the team. We don't need the heavyweight king, we simply need somebody.

Parros for Weber in a second.

Maxpac is online now  
Old
02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
  #698
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Neil is a good no 2 guy but he shouldn't be the no1. Saying that, I definetly take him on my team anyday. We never have too much toughness

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
  #699
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I posted this on the trade forum...

Add the odd pick/prospect here or there, I'd like something around:


To
  • Yannick Weber
  • Ryan White

To
  • George Parros
  • Jerred Smithson

We all know Parros. He's no all-star, but he can play hockey in a limited role on the 4th line. Cap hit of $938k this year and next.

For those who don't know Smithson, he's a 6'3" 210 lbs right handed center with 43 hits already this season, and with a faceoff percentage of 55.2%. Pending UFA.
Sorry not trading Ryan White

icerocket is offline  
Old
02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
  #700
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You don't watch many games do you ?

Yes he kind of lost a game for us... But he's been great for us defensively and adds alot more grit than Parros.
I watch all the games. He's taken a lot of really stupid penalties, he's...OK defensively, and adds very little offense. He's a good guy to have in the 12th/13th forward role, but him being in or out of the lineup is largely irrelevant. He does the rah rah stuff the fans love but we're not 1st in the East this year because of Ryan White. I know I'll get called soft here but guys like White are a dime a dozen and he's not an important piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Sorry not trading Ryan White
Seriously.

Everyone wants a heavyweight enforcer, and then people get apprehensive about trading Ryan White for Parros. Come on. I just absolutely do not understand the Ryan White hard on. He's fine to have on your 4th line but he's a spare part and nothing more, he adds very little value and he really isn't even that great of a fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Along the same line as Eller kind of losing a game for us when he took a penalty and the Islanders scored on that PP to put them down by one........the same scenario as White.

Sounds silly, doesnt it?
Eller's really not above reproach but you can't deny that White's taken some absolutely bone headed penalties this year. He seems to have got the message since his 2nd press box stint, but he had a pretty bad record for reckless penalties. The difference is also that Eller is pretty significantly better at both ends of the ice than White. For White who already provides pretty low value in goal scoring terms to be taking reckless and careless penalties, he's negatively impacting the team with dumb penalties.


Last edited by Noob616: 02-25-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Noob616 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.