HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames to move AHL affiliate to Utica, NY?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
  #26
haldrich1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Utica,NY
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWasNoAccident View Post
I'm from Rome, NY and I watched several teams fall in Utica like dominoes. I had breakfast at the Harbor Inn in a booth across from Doug Brown of the Devils. I saw the Utica Bulldogs, Blizzard, the Prowlers, the Comets...

Utica is a horrible city with 50% of the inhabitants on welfare. People would be interested in hockey if they didn't have to worry about how to make next month's rent. It's a black hole for hockey. The only hockey that has consistently thrived there is the Utica Pioneer's.
YUP they all failed, and all three had bad underfunded owners. the prospective ownership group is being led by rob eshe (confirmed by wktv news) and one other person (rumor tom clark) and the other rumor is a former AHL owner Frank DuRoss is going to run day to day operations. your right many in utica are on the public dole, but it will not be marketed and aimed at them anyway.its easy for Utica College to thrive when the tickets are basically being given away.

haldrich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
  #27
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman
 
MainDotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morrisville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by haldrich1 View Post
YUP they all failed, and all three had bad underfunded owners. the prospective ownership group is being led by rob eshe (confirmed by wktv news) and one other person (rumor tom clark) and the other rumor is a former AHL owner Frank DuRoss is going to run day to day operations. your right many in utica are on the public dole, but it will not be marketed and aimed at them anyway.its easy for Utica College to thrive when the tickets are basically being given away.
Why are you making a point that Robert Esche is one of the owners? Is that supposed to make ownership any more stable? You can have the greatest ownership in the world but if no one comes to the games then no one comes to the games.

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:14 PM
  #28
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
The guy from Rome is downtalking Utica?


I remember youth hockey games growing up, we used to count trailer parks on our way through Rome to pass the time.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:25 PM
  #29
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,039
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWasNoAccident View Post
I'm from Rome, NY and I watched several teams fall in Utica like dominoes. I had breakfast at the Harbor Inn in a booth across from Doug Brown of the Devils. I saw the Utica Bulldogs, Blizzard, the Prowlers, the Comets...

Utica is a horrible city with 50% of the inhabitants on welfare. People would be interested in hockey if they didn't have to worry about how to make next month's rent. It's a black hole for hockey. The only hockey that has consistently thrived there is the Utica Pioneer's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
The guy from Rome is downtalking Utica?


I remember youth hockey games growing up, we used to count trailer parks on our way through Rome to pass the time.

I love this thread.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:32 PM
  #30
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWasNoAccident View Post
Why are you making a point that Robert Esche is one of the owners? Is that supposed to make ownership any more stable? You can have the greatest ownership in the world but if no one comes to the games then no one comes to the games.

Hes still a local guy, and an ex-NHLer with obvious ties and $$$. Kevin Todd is also still around the area.

UC Hockey leads D-III in attendance and is one of the top in the nation.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:57 PM
  #31
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9,106
vCash: 50
A pissing match about 2 towns/cities in NY state on a Flames board. I can honestly say I never expected to see that.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:32 PM
  #32
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 734
Not a hockey market?

Sounds like a great idea for the Flames to put their farm team, again.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:09 PM
  #33
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Already almost 1,000 fans. This was made 12 hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/UticaFlamesFanClub

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
  #34
MuffinMerc
Registered User
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Already almost 1,000 fans. This was made 12 hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/UticaFlamesFanClub
I'd rather it be called the Utica Heat, just so I don't have to look at the ugly flaming logo. The Heat logo is a lot more appealing.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
  #35
pjcnyr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
It is a hockey town. The New York State hockey high school state finals are held here every year. Several schools within 15 miles of the utica have won the state title in their division several times. The city has had some real bad luck with shady people coming in and trying to run a hockey team here. The place seats about 4000. And I bet most people reading this board have seen it at least once in their life. Slap shot was filmed there. The scene with the brawl before the game starts. You know "I'm listening to the ********* song" that's the utica aud. it's not a bad place to have a team but honestly I'm not sure if they can get the attendance to support a team. They do get about 3000 to 3500 for the local college team. But tickets are only $5. I will say with Syracuse, Albany, and Rochester right down the road it will make for several rivalries that would help attendance.

pjcnyr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
  #36
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Not a hockey market?


Sounds like a great idea for the Flames to put their farm team, again.

Thats a joke, right?

Utica is a great hockey market. Upstate NY in general. Hockey is big all over the state.

Slap Shot was filmed at the Utica Aud and MSG was modeled after the arena as well. Clearly you can see this in the Facebook cover photo.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
  #37
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcnyr22 View Post
It is a hockey town. The New York State hockey high school state finals are held here every year. Several schools within 15 miles of the utica have won the state title in their division several times. The city has had some real bad luck with shady people coming in and trying to run a hockey team here. The place seats about 4000. And I bet most people reading this board have seen it at least once in their life. Slap shot was filmed there. The scene with the brawl before the game starts. You know "I'm listening to the ********* song" that's the utica aud. it's not a bad place to have a team but honestly I'm not sure if they can get the attendance to support a team. They do get about 3000 to 3500 for the local college team. But tickets are only $5. I will say with Syracuse, Albany, and Rochester right down the road it will make for several rivalries that would help attendance.

Yep. I know a ton of people that want jerseys already.

People always like to reminisce about the Utica Devils and Brodeur, Guerin, etc.

Fellow Ranger fan, eh?

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:24 PM
  #38
pjcnyr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Yep. I know a ton of people that want jerseys already.

People always like to reminisce about the Utica Devils and Brodeur, Guerin, etc.

Fellow Ranger fan, eh?
Why yes I am. And a huge utica flames fan if it works out.

pjcnyr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
  #39
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcnyr22 View Post
Why yes I am. And a huge utica flames fan if it works out.

I grew up there, played youth for the Utica Thunder/HS hockey for Proctor. I cant believe there are people who think its not a hockey market.

The best hockey players from NY are from Upstate, especially today. Hockey is massive Upstate.

I was never a Devils fan though, for obvious reasons.

Utica is very provincial and will really get behind this team. Trust us on this one Albertans. If I had to pick a bigger city that is like Utica id say either Philly or Chicago, sports wise.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:29 PM
  #40
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
I can also see promos with this.



The official beer of the Utica Flames.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:30 PM
  #41
pjcnyr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Don't forget Saranac

pjcnyr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
  #42
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9,106
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
I'd rather it be called the Utica Heat, just so I don't have to look at the ugly flaming logo. The Heat logo is a lot more appealing.
seriously first you wish the Flames will lose in game topics and now you trash the logo? who do you think you are? I am offended that you might actually consider yourself a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcnyr22 View Post
Why yes I am. And a huge utica flames fan if it works out.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
  #43
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Thats a joke, right?

Utica is a great hockey market. Upstate NY in general. Hockey is big all over the state.

Slap Shot was filmed at the Utica Aud and MSG was modeled after the arena as well. Clearly you can see this in the Facebook cover photo.
Joke, no. Mistake, perhaps - and hopefully so.

Just going off what I read from others. Sounds like what I read was untrue.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
  #44
MuffinMerc
Registered User
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
seriously first you wish the Flames will lose in game topics and now you trash the logo? who do you think you are? I am offended that you might actually consider yourself a fan.
I don't wish that the Flames will lose games, what fan does? But if we do lose games, I'd rather the team do it in this shortened season and end up with a better chance to get a top 5 draft to get a good prospect. It would be a much better fate than finishing 9th in the West.

And I just said that I prefer the existing Abbotsford Heat logo than the flaming 'U'. Sorry if I don't share the same opinion of you. I don't see how me having different thoughts on different subjects about this club makes me any less of a fan than you. If you and the others don't like me, fine. I'll stay away from the boards.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
  #45
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Joke, no. Mistake, perhaps - and hopefully so.

Just going off what I read from others. Sounds like what I read was untrue.

Hockey market it 100% is, but its no secret the city itself has seen better days.

Its a typical rust belt city. ****** weather and ****** economy.

Theres a brewery in town (FX Matt's) known pretty well in this region for Utica Club and Saranac, and its got a very diverse population for a city of 60,000.

People always say the two good things about Utica are the food and the beer. Lots of types of foods you dont find anywhere else. Thats about it. The Mob ran Utica for about 50 years and its a ****hole now.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:33 AM
  #46
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9,106
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
I don't wish that the Flames will lose games, what fan does? But if we do lose games, I'd rather the team do it in this shortened season and end up with a better chance to get a top 5 draft to get a good prospect. It would be a much better fate than finishing 9th in the West.

And I just said that I prefer the existing Abbotsford Heat logo than the flaming 'U'. Sorry if I don't share the same opinion of you. I don't see how me having different thoughts on different subjects about this club makes me any less of a fan than you. If you and the others don't like me, fine. I'll stay away from the boards.
I never knew you were talking about a flaming U, i thought you were talking about the Flames actual logo

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:15 AM
  #47
MuffinMerc
Registered User
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
And I just said that I prefer the existing Abbotsford Heat logo than the flaming 'U'. Sorry if I don't share the same opinion of you. I don't see how me having different thoughts on different subjects about this club makes me any less of a fan than you. If you and the others don't like me, fine. I'll stay away from the boards.
Actually I change my mind. I enjoy conversing with Flames fans here and I learn a lot from these guys, whether it be team updates or even different points of views on issues that in turn broaden my own perspective . If my differing opinions offend you so much just put me in your ignore list.


Last edited by MuffinMerc: 02-25-2013 at 01:21 AM.
MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:23 AM
  #48
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman
 
MainDotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morrisville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
The guy from Rome is downtalking Utica?


I remember youth hockey games growing up, we used to count trailer parks on our way through Rome to pass the time.
Maybe in Floyd or Taberg but there are no trailer parks in Rome. And im not saying Rome is anything other than a cesspool itself but Utica is just a black hole of hockey teams. Whatever...enjoy living life in the red, financially, for the next 10 years.

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:26 AM
  #49
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman
 
MainDotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morrisville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I played Fort Stanwix hockey league in the 90's.

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
  #50
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,964
vCash: 67
Wow. There's some serious hockey rivalry in the state of New York

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.