HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avs @ Ducks 6 PM MST || Luck always seems like it belongs to someone else.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 10:31 PM
  #526
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
That is good to hear. I only watched the last 10 minutes of the game but Elliott looked solid. He was making simple plays instead of forcing plays like he was in his first few games this season.
Yea, that's really my basis for my renewed optimism with him. He's not out of the woods by any means. Defense is his biggest concern, but I think you can kind of tell he's put a real emphasis to focus on this and improve. He's simplified things, and isn't running around tying to be that offensive dynamo. He's letting things come to him.

It's kind of funny Barrie's kind of doing the exact opposite, but it seems to be working ok for him too. He's just let his fear go, and isn't thinking the game too much, just reacting and going.

I guess each player has their own mental approach to improving their game. I say keep em in the lineup and work through it. They seem to be over that hump of being a total liability every shift.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:31 PM
  #527
Zandar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post

@ Seph Elliott was good? What game were you watching?
Elliott was solid. Has his moments but played some solid positional D and work with his stick. You have to remember who is partner is and for some reason Zanon likes to roam around his own end leaving Elliott to have to stand in front of the net at times he should have been the one going for the puck. Get Elliott a defensive D and he won't have to do Zanon's job of covering the front/shot blocking that Zanon isn't even doing.

Zandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:32 PM
  #528
Colorado Sports Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
I didn't see the last 2 games (as much as I'm for the tank this season, I'd rather not watch it) ... how has the Skog looked since returning?
He's looked alright. The Stasty/Lando line has been the best one the last two games.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:38 PM
  #529
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Same reason a linesman misses a blatant offside goal. In which the scoring player even stops, it happens you move on. Of course if this was the finals, I would be singing a different tune.

@ Seph Elliott was good? What game were you watching?
You might be blinded by hatred from him.

I agree that he is not NHL, but this was one of his best games to date defensively.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
  #530
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
He's looked alright. The Stasty/Lando line has been the best one the last two games.
I don't know if they've been much better than Dutchy's, but Staz's line has really only gotten some chances because of Landy's second efforts causing turnovers, and maintaining control of the puck through traffic, opening up space for his linemates.

I really don't understand what's happened to Staz. He's not even that good defensively anymore. He's out of position, even looking somewhat lazy on his positioning sometimes. Not nearly as good on draws either.

I think he's being held back by Jones' play right now, but I just wish I could see more creativity and on ice vision out of Staz. Those should be his strengths. He desperately needs a true sniper though too.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:42 PM
  #531
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 1210
I'm in disbelief that Shane O'Brien isn't in the line-up.

He played a top-4 role last season, and while not great, was solid/adequate more nights than not. Yet, the Avalanche keep icing a super tiny defense that gets pushed around.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
  #532
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,435
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
You might be blinded by hatred from him.

I agree that he is not NHL, but this was one of his best games to date defensively.
Why, is it that every time I criticize a player it means I hate him? What reason do I have for hating on little Elliott?

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
  #533
BrickAHL
#NotUs
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,883
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I'm in disbelief than Shane O'Brien isn't in the line-up.

He played a top-4 role last season, and while not great, was solid/adequate more nights than not. Yet, the Avalanche keep icing this super tiny defense that gets pushed around.
Yeah I agree, I hate Shane O'Brien more than anybody on these boards but he deserves a shot over Zanon, O'Byrne and Hunwick.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:44 PM
  #534
Colorado Sports Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I really don't understand what's happened to Staz. He's not even that good defensively anymore. He's out of position, even looking somewhat lazy on his positioning sometimes. Not nearly as good on draws either.

I think he's being held back by Jones' play right now, but I just wish I could see more creativity and on ice vision out of Staz. Those should be his strengths. He desperately needs a true sniper though too.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
  #535
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Why, is it that every time I criticize a player it means I hate him? What reason do I have for hating on little Elliott?
Because he was solid tonight, IMO.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:50 PM
  #536
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,435
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Because he was solid tonight, IMO.
Maybe, you're blinded by your infatuation for him?

Because, he still looked like a lost boy IMO.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:51 PM
  #537
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,900
vCash: 50
I don't think Stastny and Landeskog has clicked yet. They do cycle the puck decently enough but they don't seem to create many chances from it. I think Jones have been working hard, he just doesn't have a lot of tools. Hopefully they will gel sooner rather than later.

I thought McGinn was our best forward today. Duchene was hustling but seems to have hit a mini-wall. He's been playing some heavy minutes, so it's not all that strange.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:51 PM
  #538
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Same reason a linesman misses a blatant offside goal. In which the scoring player even stops, it happens you move on. Of course if this was the finals, I would be singing a different tune.

@ Seph Elliott was good? What game were you watching?
Fully agree refs blew the call against Nashville which helped us to a 1-goal win. I can understand Nashville fans being pissed and thinking the refs blew them the game and rightfully so. Just like the Avs fans have the right to be pissed at some really poor calls tonight, that changed the course of the game.

And I think Elliott was one of our better dmen tonight. He made a couple of plays that actually showed me he knows what he is doing and can possibly learn to control bigger forwards. He made two solid plays on Ryan one on one to prevent him from even having a chance (which is impressive since I watched B Ryan undress some quality dmen in the past) and he also looked a little bit more calm with the puck in his own end tonight compared to previous nights. I think he is starting to get into better game shape. He was put in a terrible position by the Avs and hopefully he is starting to get his game legs.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:55 PM
  #539
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Maybe, you're blinded by your infatuation for him?

Because, he still looked like a lost boy IMO.
Well I did agree with you that he isn't NHL ready, just disagree that you think he sucked tonight.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 PM
  #540
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Do you disagree? I can't tell the nature of your head banging, haha. I've never been a Stastny basher, you may or may not have taken notice of this, but it's really come to the point where he underperforms too often.

Defensively as well like I mentioned. He's just not reacting to the play as well as he used to a few years ago, in all three zones.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:05 PM
  #541
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,684
vCash: 50
On a side note, is anyone else surprised the Avs didn't really take much of an issue with this hit on Hejduk? It was really unnecessary given the positioning on the ice, and where the puck was. Kind of went out of his way to really make a dangerous hit on a well respected and classy veteran player like Hejduk.


Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:09 PM
  #542
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
On a side note, is anyone else surprised the Avs didn't really take much of an issue with this hit on Hejduk? It was really unnecessary given the positioning on the ice, and where the puck was. Kind of went out of his way to really make a dangerous hit on a well respected and classy veteran player like Hejduk.

In a tie game in the 3rd there isn't much you can do, because you don't want to do anything stupid. Plus Hejduk wasn't injured, I also think the player hitting him did hold up a bit. If Hejduk had walked away injured I think you would have seen a bigger reaction. But I think we played it cool because of the game situation. And maybe next time we play them, somebody like Bordy might go out a police the situation. But honestly it really wasn't that big a deal.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:18 PM
  #543
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
In a tie game in the 3rd there isn't much you can do, because you don't want to do anything stupid. Plus Hejduk wasn't injured, I also think the player hitting him did hold up a bit. If Hejduk had walked away injured I think you would have seen a bigger reaction. But I think we played it cool because of the game situation. And maybe next time we play them, somebody like Bordy might go out a police the situation. But honestly it really wasn't that big a deal.
Yea, I think ultimately it was smart they didn't do anything stupid, or lose their focus too much, but it seemed like going that far out of your way to make a dangerous hit on a guy like Hejduk, is usually a no no.

If it was McLeod, or someone they were pissed at I'd get it, but it wasn't just the normal finishing your check on Hejduk because he's there kind of play. He kind of targeted him for a big hit. You just don't do that to guys like Hejduk, who are in that Lady Byng mold of Sakic or Robataille.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:57 PM
  #544
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Please for the love of god next game bench Ryan O'Byrne, and don't play him for the remainder of the season. Its gotten to the point where I'd rather call up Gaunce than play O'Byrne, its just baffling how bad he has become. Zanon, Hunwick, and O'Brien are real bad but O'Byrne is just on another level, its depressing to watch. If he's not getting beat off the rush, he's getting beat in the corners. If he's not getting beat in the corners, he's taking a stupid penalty. If he's not taking a stupid penalty, he's turning the puck over. If he's not turning the puck over, he's slouched over because a goal has just gone in

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:11 AM
  #545
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
As far as Stastny goes, I do think he could be better but in his last 11 games he has 9 points which is a 67 point pace. Jones is definitely holding that line back, but I also think Sacco has been using Duchene's line a bit differently since Landeskog returned, Stastny got 22:58 TOI and Duchene got 21:32 but last night Duchene got 15:28... Looks like Sacco is treating Stastny's line as our first line instantly since Landeskog's return.

Not sure I agree with this, that line should be gaining more ice time but not 'instantly' our first line since Landeskog returned. For one Landeskog is getting back his timing and second Stastny hasn't earned it.

I do think Duchene played better tonight but you can tell there is some jump missing. That could come from his confidence being slapped down from seeing instantly less ice time after Landeskog's return.

I was afraid Sacco would do what hes done, and that's rely on Duchene less too quickly.

On another note... Did we play with only three Centers tonight? Olver was the scratch for Pj's... I won't say I disagree with this seeing as the ice time Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, Pareanteau, McGinn, Jones (Unfortunately), and Mitchell are getting needs to be significant.

I think as Duchene starts to fire again and Landeskog really gets going we should get a little better. I was surprised honestly that we even played as well as we did against one of the best teams in the league right now.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:21 AM
  #546
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia
 
TheFlyingV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,632
vCash: 500
You guys got screwed on that Perry goal.

Duchene and Landeskog were really dangerous looking tonight, hope you guys can keep them for a long time.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:22 AM
  #547
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
As far as Stastny goes, I do think he could be better but in his last 11 games he has 9 points which is a 67 point pace. Jones is definitely holding that line back, but I also think Sacco has been using Duchene's line a bit differently since Landeskog returned, Stastny got 22:58 TOI and Duchene got 21:32 but last night Duchene got 15:28... Looks like Sacco is treating Stastny's line as our first line instantly since Landeskog's return.

Not sure I agree with this, that line should be gaining more ice time but not 'instantly' our first line since Landeskog returned. For one Landeskog is getting back his timing and second Stastny hasn't earned it.

I do think Duchene played better tonight but you can tell there is some jump missing. That could come from his confidence being slapped down from seeing instantly less ice time after Landeskog's return.

I was afraid Sacco would do what hes done, and that's rely on Duchene less too quickly.

On another note... Did we play with only three Centers tonight? Olver was the scratch for Pj's... I won't say I disagree with this seeing as the ice time Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, Pareanteau, McGinn, Jones (Unfortunately), and Mitchell are getting needs to be significant.

I think as Duchene starts to fire again and Landeskog really gets going we should get a little better. I was surprised honestly that we even played as well as we did against one of the best teams in the league right now.
I think it might have more to do with teams seeing the hot streak Duchene was on, and bearing down on him. He's had substantially less time and space before players jumped on him lately. Teams were backing off on him before, but now they're closing the gap real quick in the neutral zone.

It's kind of the same reason O'Reilly and Landy started to fade production wise at the end of last year. Duchene was clearly hurt and not producing, and the O'Reilly-Lando combo was the teams most talked about line.

They stopped producing, and then the McGinn - Staz - Jones line started to pick things up. It's a cycle. Unless you have the Forsberg - Sakic combo or Crosby - Makin where they're just so good they can both produce no matter what, you just have to hope things will balance things out and hope guys take advantage of less focus on them.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:35 AM
  #548
Zaphod
Registered User
 
Zaphod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Please for the love of god next game bench Ryan O'Byrne, and don't play him for the remainder of the season. Its gotten to the point where I'd rather call up Gaunce than play O'Byrne, its just baffling how bad he has become. Zanon, Hunwick, and O'Brien are real bad but O'Byrne is just on another level, its depressing to watch. If he's not getting beat off the rush, he's getting beat in the corners. If he's not getting beat in the corners, he's taking a stupid penalty. If he's not taking a stupid penalty, he's turning the puck over. If he's not turning the puck over, he's slouched over because a goal has just gone in


I don't know what the hell happened to ROB, but he needs some time to think about it.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:39 AM
  #549
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,521
vCash: 500
Dutchy also looks a little worn down, like he doesn't have the same energy level throughout the game that he had earlier, and his burst isn't as insane the later into the game it's gotten.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:42 AM
  #550
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Dutchy also looks a little worn down, like he doesn't have the same energy level throughout the game that he had earlier, and his burst isn't as insane the later into the game it's gotten.
this is what i have been thinking about as well, went from the best player on the ice in a couple games, to a non factor, i hope he given a rest tomorrow and comes back strong against the sharks.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.