HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nyi - mtl

Old
02-23-2013, 11:10 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
To NYI:
David Desharnais
Mtl's own 1st rnd pick (14-25)
Cgy's own 2nd rnd pick (31-40)

To MTL:
Matt Carkner
Marty Reasoner
NYI's own 1st rnd pick (5-25)

Thought process here is that Desharnais is the odd man out in Mtl's forward mix because of a lack of size and his pending RFA status. Montreal gambles here on NYI finishing below them in the standings and sacrifices CGY's pick for it. Carkner and Reasoner are both solid, veteran players that can help if MTL goes on a playoff run.

NYI get better now and add some draft pick depth. They gamble on Desharnais helping them push into the playoffs and will probably be able to re-sign him at a good rate.
Isles need to add size/ scoring/ physical toughness to their top 6. Not another smallish forward.

No interest in trading the isles first rounder, for little Desharrmais and a lower 1st rounder.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
Does MTL's 1st & CGY's 2nd for NYI 1st interest you?
Snow's refused to trade his previous first rounders, in depth trades.
I don't know why he'd do so this draft.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:06 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
The deal is not bad as far as value but I have to agree with what some other Isles fans have said.

The Islanders need the size and toughness. We have lots of small forwards. I like the addition of adding picks, but then again, Id be more interested in doing so if the team were totally out of it. Consider that a win tonight could put the Islanders at NHL .500 and potentially move them into the top 8, I would say we need a guy like Carkner.

If you are looking for a deal involving Reasoner alone, id be interested.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Snow's refused to trade his previous first rounders, in depth trades.
I don't know why he'd do so this draft.
Haven't the Isles traded down multiple times in the last few years? I seem to remember them trading down twice in 08 alone.

This deal would obviously be looked at at the draft after positions have been solidified.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Haven't the Isles traded down multiple times in the last few years? I seem to remember them trading down twice in 08 alone.

This deal would obviously be looked at at the draft after positions have been solidified.
In 2008, Snow had a depleted prospect pool. He went into the draft, saying he wanted as many prospects as he could get from that draft. He came out with 13.

In 2009, he held onto his 1st overall for Tavares. He used the late 1st he'd gotten in the Campoli trade, to move up to 12th overall for De Haan.

In 2010 he held onto his 5th overall for Nino. He used his 2nd and other picks to move up to 30th overall for Nelson.

In 2011 and 2012, he stayed put at 5th and 4th overall for Strome and Reinhart.
So, no. I do not see Snow moving his 1st and the key return is DD.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Halifaxhab*

if anyone moves a 1st, it will be a powerhouse team looking to land that one piece to go for it....so a very late 1st.

No bublle team will move their pick in such a solid draft year.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Interesting suggestion...

Really like Desharnais personally, but can't imagine Montreal feels that i.e. Eller is a better solution between Pacioretty and Cole at the moment. And heck, they have a good playoff shot this season, so why change what isn't broken?

As for the NYI, basically, if Cappy can't get this Islander team to win 9 of the next 12 games (because without a streak like that, they'll be out of the playoff picture heading into the trade deadline), then there are a few pieces that "should", in a normal GM's world, be moved.

Snow has not shown a tendency to move upcoming UFAs at the trade deadline with aplomb, which has often been quite surprising considering the team always has one or two interesting pieces and hasn't once been on or realistically close to a playoff spot at any of the last five trade deadlines. Still, Snow often holds on to guys just to watch them walk in the summer. This said, and despite press talk about steps to re-up Streit and Nabokov, both are upcoming UFAs along with Visnovsky, Boyes and Reasoner.

Okposo is a guy who has often looked very promising, but he was just awful to start last season and hasn't looked much different in the first 18 games this year.

With waiver pick-ups Hickey, Finley and Strait (already resigned to a 3 year deal) looking like keepers for the time being, and Martinek here for depth to conclude this season, one would have to think that Carkner (on a 3 year deal) may be someone who could be available on the cheap as well. He's currently on the IR (like, uhhh, no duh).

Lots of guys could be available for the right pick. All that said, I can't imagine Snow moving his own first rounder for anything other than overpayment, especially in light of this year's strong upper first round depth.

To make a long story short, if Montreal would be interested in Carkner or Reasoner, late round picks would surely be sufficient enough.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
bh2007

I know T.Harmonic is almost untouchable. But wonder if the value is close :
To Montreal : T.Harmonic + 3th
To NYI : J.Gorges + L.Leblanc / D.Kristo + Montreal 1st (2013)

bh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh2007 View Post
too much from montreal. gorges is untouchable, and they will be patient with leblanc

i like harmonic but that is a lot

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh2007 View Post
You are right that Hamonic is close to untouchable on the isles.

I like Gorges, but not at the cost of the younger, better player TH.

And zero interest in either LeBlanc or Kristo, both of whom have either off ice problems, injuries or been ripped by their coaches. Isles have a bunch of unproven, promising young forwards. No reason they would take either Kristo or LeBlanc over Strome/Nino/Nelson/Ullstrom/Cizikas/Sundstrom/Kabanov/Perrson.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:27 AM
kasper11

No from the Islanders.

1) There is no way they should move their first until the end of the year. Lets fact it, that pick could be anywhere from #1 to #15. There is no way the Isles should risk trading away one of the top-4 picks, all of which have superstar potential.

2) Desharnais is 26 and an RFA after this year. He will have the option of electing arbitration next year and then becoming a UFA the following year. If the Isles are going to make a move for a #2 center, it has to be someone under team control for longer.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:43 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Isles wont trade their 1st. And Montreal isn't dumping DD for nothing (and make no mistake, Reasoner and Carkner cannot crack Montreal's lineup)
This, just not happening even in the imaginary world of the trade board.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
The Habs have 4 picks in the top 60 if they want to move up they certainly will be able to do so on draft day they don't need to get rid of Desharnais for Carkner and Reasoner who was on waivers just last week

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote