HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I like the Kane- Kesler - Parise line because it lets Kane have the puck and the other guys are fine with that. Kessel likes to have the puck and he likes to distribute. I don't think having him and Kane in the same line is a good idea just like I didn't like him and Stastny last time.
I've been rewatching the last Olympics quite a bit and I see what you mean. My real guess though is whoever's coaching pulls the 'no one person is greater than the sum of its parts' card. I agree with you though, Kane and Kessel might not be the best fit.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I've been rewatching the last Olympics quite a bit and I see what you mean. My real guess though is whoever's coaching pulls the 'no one person is greater than the sum of its parts' card. I agree with you though, Kane and Kessel might not be the best fit.
I think the US can roll three lines, ironically with 3 distributors on the wing.

Pominville, Kessel and Kane can handle the puck and move it about. Then you have defensive stalwarts in the center with guys like Kesler, Pavelski and Backes, but also having enough skill to put away chances. Then you throw in three big scoring wingers like Pacioretty, JVR and Parise. Guys who can shoot, create space and do the dirty work around the net.

Parise-Kesler-Kane
JVR-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Backes-Pominville

I like it.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
I think the US can roll three lines, ironically with 3 distributors on the wing.

Pominville, Kessel and Kane can handle the puck and move it about. Then you have defensive stalwarts in the center with guys like Kesler, Pavelski and Backes, but also having enough skill to put away chances. Then you throw in three big scoring wingers like Pacioretty, JVR and Parise. Guys who can shoot, create space and do the dirty work around the net.

Parise-Kesler-Kane
JVR-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Backes-Pominville

I like it.

I also like this but then do you have Bobby Ryan on the fourth line with Callahan and Brown?

Old
02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/07/sochi-o...-usa-forecast/

Old
02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
By far the best media roster I've seen so far. No glaring omissions and the projection on Galchenyuk isn't a stretch. Lots of other good players will be in play as well.

02-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
By far the best media roster I've seen so far. No glaring omissions and the projection on Galchenyuk isn't a stretch. Lots of other good players will be in play as well.
Pretty solid. Gally's making a big case to be on this team. Says alot about him. He looked great in the WJC on big ice too.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:48 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
They did a nice choice with the U.S. Not fussy on their choices North of the border.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:37 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Until I saw this roster prediction I thought Galchenyuk was Canadian.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Until I saw this roster prediction I thought Galchenyuk was Canadian.

according to all reported, he will play for Canada, USA and Russia except when they play each other. In these case he will pick from a hat.

He played solid in the WJC. If he makes this team he's going to be the young gun for sure.

The real question is, does Seth Jones get an invite to camp and if he plays well next season, will they even consider him?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I also like this but then do you have Bobby Ryan on the fourth line with Callahan and Brown?
Ehh, tough to push him down in favor of a relatively unproven JVR, but he did play there in Vancouver.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Ehh, tough to push him down in favor of a relatively unproven JVR, but he did play there in Vancouver.
Yah I saw your lines so I was wondering where he would fit in. I gotta think he has a fairly large role.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Yah I saw your lines so I was wondering where he would fit in. I gotta think he has a fairly large role.
He's on my team for now, but he's been a bit disappointing this year. He's got something like 13 points in 15 games while a guy like Blake Wheeler has 14 in 17 I think.

If we are looking at the bottom line, maybe a guy like Dustin Brown (8 points in 16 games) drops off the bottom and you get Ryan, Wheeler, Callahan and a guy like Colin Wilson.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:38 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Best roster I've seen done by the media. You can tell the writer knew his stuff.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
He's on my team for now, but he's been a bit disappointing this year. He's got something like 13 points in 15 games while a guy like Blake Wheeler has 14 in 17 I think.

If we are looking at the bottom line, maybe a guy like Dustin Brown (8 points in 16 games) drops off the bottom and you get Ryan, Wheeler, Callahan and a guy like Colin Wilson.
Ya know now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprise if Wheeler did get a look. Great skater, decent hands and he's been playing well. He played at Minny too and I believe they have Olympic ice. Don't quote me on that. He's another guy that could play with Kessel as they have had chemistry in Boston, and for the Gophers.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Looks great as far as I'm concerned. The only changes might be a forward or two and a d-man based on how everyone is playing by the time the team is named. For instance, I can see a guy like Wheeler or JVR make the team and someone like Pominville or even Brown drop off.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:13 AM
magic school bus

Who's your guys' first choice for head coach?

Old
02-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Who's your guys' first choice for head coach?
Bylsma

Old
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bylsma
With Laviolette and Torts as assistant coaches .

Old
02-25-2013, 01:15 PM
magic school bus

Bylsma seemed like the consensus guy a while ago, but it seems like his stock is dropping. I'm gonna say Tortorella because he was an assistant last time, and he knows the players.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

This has probably already been discussed before but who to start in net?

Quick?

Miller?

Both are top notch goaltenders but have gotten off to slow starts this season. Miller was a beast in the Vancouver games and was the tournament MVP. Quick is coming off a Stanley Cup winning season with the LA Kings and is also a few years younger than Miller.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:

Quick?

Miller?

Both are top notch goaltenders but have gotten off to slow starts this season. Miller was a beast in the Vancouver games and was the tournament MVP. Quick is coming off a Stanley Cup winning season with the LA Kings and is also a few years younger than Miller.
In my opinion it is still to early to tell, you can argue that there will be six goaltenders fighting for the starting spot in Quick, Miller, Anderson, Schneider, Howard, and Bishop.

But if I had to go with my instinct it would be Quick.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Bylsma seemed like the consensus guy a while ago, but it seems like his stock is dropping. I'm gonna say Tortorella because he was an assistant last time, and he knows the players.
I wouldn't say his stock has dropped at all. USAH brought him to the WCs in Finland/Sweden in May and to the WJC camp in August for a reason - he's the frontrunner right now and the USAH executives were vetting him.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

Quick?

Miller?

Tough call. Quick's just now rounding in to form coming off some health issues during the off season. He's looked much better of late. Miller has actually played well this year but is in a toxic situation in Buffalo. Something has to give there as this year is probably a lost season. I wouldn't have a problem with either as the #1.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

Quick?

Miller?

After the SC Finals I would have said Quick but I gotta think Miller's going to try to take this over again. He owned the last Olympics.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:17 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
In my opinion it is still to early to tell, you can argue that there will be six goaltenders fighting for the starting spot in Quick, Miller, Anderson, Schneider, Howard, and Bishop.

But if I had to go with my instinct it would be Quick.
How serious is his injury? If he's done for the rest of this season then he'll probably still be rehabbing when Team USA goes to camp.

Closed Thread