HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

"NHL dream still alive in Connecticut"

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 08:21 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
Baldwin was brought in by the Rangers, they didn't have to, but why did they? It was because before the 3 year extension was signed in 2010 the Rangers we're ready to pack their bags and leave Hartford. So why are Wolf Pack fans bitter over their parent club simply calling the shots?
you're forgetting why did the Rangers bolt Binghamton in 1997, bobo, and to refute your other claim, Portland and Lowell WERE targeted for Albany(which is owned by NJ) in 2010 which started hockey in the Capital District, until Ottawa brought their franchise there, Binghamton wasn't in the AHL.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
blamebettman*

Hartford as a city is seen as little else other than a stopping point between NY and Boston

One thing that Hartford does have in its favor are large, extremely affluent suburbs that surround it in the state of connecticut. They have the cash and the population to support a team. The Whalers never drew phenomenally well...but they never really had any sustained success either. When they were good, the fans showed up...and were particularly rabid in their final year when the Whalers looked like they were making a playoff run.

honestly I don't see it happening now. Too many cities lined up in front of them for franchises. But in 15 years I think we will revisit Hartford as a legitimate option...by then who knows what will have happened to the Panthers, Blue Jackets, and Predators of the world.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
Hartford as a city is seen as little else other than a stopping point between NY and Boston

One thing that Hartford does have in its favor are large, extremely affluent suburbs that surround it in the state of connecticut. They have the cash and the population to support a team. The Whalers never drew phenomenally well...but they never really had any sustained success either. When they were good, the fans showed up...and were particularly rabid in their final year when the Whalers looked like they were making a playoff run.

honestly I don't see it happening now. Too many cities lined up in front of them for franchises. But in 15 years I think we will revisit Hartford as a legitimate option...by then who knows what will have happened to the Panthers, Blue Jackets, and Predators of the world.
The problem is the extremely affluent suburbs that the Whalers 2.0 would need to tap into are over an hour's drive away in Fairfield and points south along the coast.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:33 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
The problem is the extremely affluent suburbs that the Whalers 2.0 would need to tap into are over an hour's drive away in Fairfield and points south along the coast.
It takes me 45 mins to drive to a ranger game... I think most people set aside an hour at the least to get to any serious pro sporting event, wouldn't you say?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
It takes me 45 mins to drive to a ranger game... I think most people set aside an hour at the least to get to any serious pro sporting event, wouldn't you say?
True, but those hockey fans in Fairfield, Westport, Darien, Stamford, Greenwich, etc. I would say would continue commuting to NYC (via train or driving) rather then suddenly begin commuting an hour to an hour and a half to Hartford.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM
NHL Hartford

Anybody remember that report that came from the NY Post once the lockout ended saying Malloy was looking into bringing the Whalers back?

It touched upon how Malloy was looking to build a new arena as part of a bigger development in state, but not necessarily in Hartford.

Interestingly enough news came out yesterday that the state is close to an agreement with an Arizona firm to develop the area around Rentschler Field into an entertainment destination and the investment will be in excess of several hundred million dollars. Does this news now give legitimacy to the NY post report? Is an arena in the works as part of a larger entertainment destination in East Hartford? The space and parking is there.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/apps...TION/302159988

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 02-21-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Anybody remember that report that came from the NY Post once the lockout ended saying Malloy was looking into bringing the Whalers back?

It touched upon how Malloy was looking to build a new arena as part of a bigger development in state, but not necessarily in Hartford.

Interestingly enough news came out yesterday that the state is close to an agreement with an Arizona firm to development around Rentschler Field and the investment will be in excess of several hundred million dollars. Does this news now give legitimacy to the NY post report? Is an arena in the works as part of a larger entertainment destination in East Hartford? The space and parking is there.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/apps...TION/302159988
Good find, you could very well be right; however I think it would be a big mistake to build an arena for a future NHL team outside of the city center.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:47 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Good find, you could very well be right; however I think it would be a big mistake to build an arena for a future NHL team outside of the city center.
XL isn't getting any younger, IceDog, but if that report is true, that might be the next arena, it's getting into that New Haven territory, which is why the whole CTDA Board helped the Whalers sail to the Carolinas...

Old
02-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Icedog2735

Having been to the XL Center countless numbers of times, including Whalers season tickets back in the day, it felt out of date in the early 90s when the Whale were still there. I just don't see how the existing structure could be renovated into a state-of-the-art arena. I'd rather see it razed and a completely new structure built in its place.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Having been to the XL Center countless numbers of times, including Whalers season tickets back in the day, it felt out of date in the early 90s when the Whale were still there. I just don't see how the existing structure could be renovated into a state-of-the-art arena. I'd rather see it razed and a completely new structure built in its place.
which might be the whole point of that article.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:30 AM
blamebettman*

looking at pics of the XL Center online...it doesn't seem too dumpy (not Nassau Coliseum dumpy at least)

Old
02-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
looking at pics of the XL Center online...it doesn't seem too dumpy (not Nassau Coliseum dumpy at least)
No, not Nassau Coliseum level but it would easily be the next worst rink in the league.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
You're probably correct, but there's issues with building a new arena in downtown. For one the most viable parcel of land to construct an arena is where the XL Center currently sits and this is from the CDA's feasibility study from 07'. So not only would you have to demolish the XL Center (no events for 2-3 years), you'd have to still expand the existing footprint for a modern sized arena. Secondly the parking situation for any event upwards of 10,000 is pretty atrocious.

Having an arena in EH would quell those concerns, plenty of space, parking and arguably more accessible than having to drive into downtown. I know this is about helping rejuvenate Hartford, but if it takes an arena in EH to get the Whalers back so be it because in the end it's about improving the region.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 02-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 02:35 PM
NHL Hartford

I believe local leaders are coming to the realization that a new arena might be the most cost effective solution in the long run. Renovations for the XL Center will be putting lipstick on a pig. Why spend $100 Mil on renovations when you're only going to run into the same problem in another 10-15 years? You can just build a new one which will last forever if maintained properly and give yourself a shot for the Major Leagues. The cost for renovations or new arena will only continue to rise the longer these guys sit on their hands.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 02-21-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
You're probably correct, but there's issues with building a new arena in downtown. For one the most viable parcel of land to construct an arena is where the XL Center currently sits and this is from the CDA's feasibility study from 07'. So not only would you have to demolish the XL Center (no events for 2-3 years) and you'd have to still expand the existing footprint for a modern sized arena. Secondly the parking situation for any event upwards of 10,000 is pretty atrocious.

Having an arena in EH would quell those concerns, plenty of space, parking and arguably more accessible than having to drive into downtown. I know this is about helping rejuvenate Hartford, but if it takes an arena in EH to get the Whalers back so be it because in the end it's about improving the region.
Well if the whale had a new home for the next several years and the town figured a way to demolish the XL Center and Rebuild a new arena, you are correct... It would take about a year to destroy the arena, and 2 years to build a new one...

I feel that if hartford did this, however, they have a clear shot at getting a team. NHL isn't going to expand for another 3-5 years at the earliest, as it's not happening next season. Around that time, there will be seattle and hartford available if this entire thing in East Hartford, or even Downtown Hartford picks up traction... If Phoenix relocates to Quebec, this entire thing is in the bag and plays out perfectly... 2 new arenas, 2 new teams, and 2 proven markets in 3-5 years? Throw in a possible relocation of a failing team at that point? Sounds like clockwork to me

Beyond that, East hartford is literally a 5 minute drive to hartford. Mass transit lines can be constructed/arranged from Hartford Downtown to the Arena in East hartford. That would be ideal...
Even West hartford is an option... Very rich neighborhood, still very close to hartford

Last edited by azaloum90: 02-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
No, not Nassau Coliseum level but it would easily be the next worst rink in the league.
It would be the worst only because of it's age... It isn't like walking into a trash can, its relatively clean and has a decent crowd that visits (at least when I go to whale games)

Old
02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
It would be the worst only because of it's age... It isn't like walking into a trash can, its relatively clean and has a decent crowd that visits (at least when I go to whale games)
It would be the worst in the league. XL has ice making issues, piping issues, etc. Many of the major issues with the building aren't in plain sight, but overall it is a relatively clean building.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
It would be the worst in the league. XL has ice making issues, piping issues, etc. Many of the major issues with the building aren't in plain sight, but overall it is a relatively clean building.
why aren't you supporting the Whale, then, bobo8192, after you trashed them for even considering returning to the previous brand....

Everyone connected w/ Hartford already knows the history of the market, etc.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:45 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
why aren't you supporting the Whale, then, bobo8192, after you trashed them for even considering returning to the previous brand....

Everyone connected w/ Hartford already knows the history of the market, etc.
I've supported both the Wolf Pack and the Whale. I'm just sensible enough to know if the Rangers go back to WP it'd be the ultimate single finger salute to the fans here. Especially if they go to god forbid, CT Rangers or Hartford Rangers. The only saving grace is Global Spectrum won't want to market a CT Rangers/Hartford Rangers/Hartford Wolf Pack brand.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:48 PM
NHL Hartford

And I pose this question to those on here. Would a renovated XL Center be good enough to house an NHL season for 1-2 years while a new arena is being built?

Old
02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
And I pose this question to those on here. Would a renovated XL Center be good enough to house an NHL season for 1-2 years while a new arena is being built?
I would say yes with some minor upgrades, a la the plans for Le Colisee if a team returns to Quebec. But I would say the max is 2 years.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:34 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
I've supported both the Wolf Pack and the Whale. I'm just sensible enough to know if the Rangers go back to WP it'd be the ultimate single finger salute to the fans here. Especially if they go to god forbid, CT Rangers or Hartford Rangers. The only saving grace is Global Spectrum won't want to market a CT Rangers/Hartford Rangers/Hartford Wolf Pack brand.
they've already ruled out Rangers as an option, I'm just curious why you ripped them for even considering a return to the Wolf*Pack, when MSG had renewed the domain name, but I disagree that Spectacor as GS was originally known as, will market the Wolf*Pack brand, we all questioned after wht WSE originally proposed and the mid-season rebrand is a failure, bobo, you're forgetting MSG isn't the villain here, it's AEG, who operated XL, until just recently, that signed off on leasing the Whale name once Baldwin and WSE were removed or had their marketing contract ended...

the Whale was a trademark owned by Baldwin, while Whalers is trademarked by the NHL, THAT'S WHY the Whalers name couldn't be used.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
it has already been stated, no, bobo8192, you said it so yourself, you won't see an NHL Team back in CT, NO ONE HAS BEEN able to pull it off since the transfer to Carolina, and the issue has been the arena, you were on the right track as to where a new arena could be built, but how realistic is that if part of the issue is the CTDA, AS WAS shown in Nassau and Suffolk Counties in the Islanders bid to replace the NVMC, IT was rejected, it's probably time to focus on proposals for a new arena a la MTSC, and what Quebecor is proposing for Le Colisee.

Wasn't HCC/XL renovated after its roof collapsed in 1980?

Old
02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Seattle, Winninpeg and Columbus would round out the Western Conference with 16 teams.
This is now my favourite misspelling of Winnipeg ever.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
I would like to see Harteforde come back to the NHL, but I don't really know how practical it would be. One can dream, I guess!

Closed Thread