HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Joel Quenneville

Old
02-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Joel Quenneville

I can't believe how many people were writing this guy off the past few seasons since the Hawks won the cup saying how hes a bad coach, he needs to be fired, his time has run out as a good coach. Not only is he proving his critics wrong but he is reminding us all just how good of a coach he is. He is an elite coach and has always been under the radar ever since he was an A in STL under Mike Kitchen in his early coaching career.

The hawks arent just on a hot run, they are probably going to run away with the Presidents trophy this year. 15 wins in 18 games, thats an 83% Win %.

Last edited by Puckgenius*: 02-25-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Vancouver Canucks*

62.5% of the season left

Doubt they are going to finish the season with a 83% win %

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:47 AM
McDooRoo

I love the Hawks, but I ain't about to start writing them in as the President trophy winners. There is a lot of games yet to be played, but they're on a heck of a run

McDooRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:50 AM
RomersWorld*

Hawks fans last year were about ready to trade Patrick Kane and Joel Quenneville for John Tortorella if they could of. Now Tortorella "sucks" after 17 games or whatever.

Some also said it wasn't a good decision to start Crawford tonight either and to start Emery til he loses, but Crawford goes and gets a shutout. Certainly could of lost if Emery was in net.

The problem is fans change their opinions game to game and minute to minute. You can't think like that. Yet they continue to do it every year on this board. "Malkin is washed up", "Kane is past his prime", "Kovalchuk worst contract in NHL", "Brad Richards is washed up(2008-09), Brad Richards is awesome(2009-2012), Brad Richards is washed up(2012-13)"

This board is so 'what have you done for me lately' that it is sometimes unbearable. Doughty is GOAT-2009-2010, Doughty sucks/overrated-(regular season after signing contract/hold out), Doughty is GOAT(after winning Cup), Doughty sucks(first 17 games in season).

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:52 AM
BlueDream

He's a great coach. Never agreed with the decision to fire him in St. Louis.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

A tiny minority of Hawk fans were for trading Kane, RW.

As for Quenneville, though, it was split about 50/50 towards the end of that brutal losing streak.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:53 AM
DearDiary

vCash: 757
Hawks are going to collapse soon, I think they will finish 6-8 in the conference and take an early playoffs exit.

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

You knew right away that when the Hawks hired him as a Pro Scout, Savard's leash was gonna be pretty short.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:05 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Its tough to gauge Q. Last year there were times when the Hawks were just so bad. Not even our terrible special teams, but our actual game mentality and basic offensive/defensive schemes were just brutal. Its tough to watch a team with Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook go on a 9 game losing streak and say we have a great coach.

I dont know enough about coaching or the effect of coaching on NHLers so all i'll say is that Coach Quenville is doing a fantastic job with this team right now and thats all that matters.

*For The Record: 1% of Hawks fans wanted to trade Kane. No sensible or rational Hawks fan who knew anything about hockey, Kane, or the blackhawks wanted him traded. EVER

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:06 AM
TurdFerguson

He has confidence in all of his lines this year. He's not mixing them up every few shifts or chasing match-ups. The bottom six isn't exactly amazing on paper, but they're getting familiar with each other and meshing really well as a result.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

No sensible Hawks fan wanted Kane to be traded.

Trance Kuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:10 AM
bobafettish*

what have you done for me lately.

if the hawks get bounced in the 1st round they'll want his head.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:14 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Hawks fans last year were about ready to trade Patrick Kane and Joel Quenneville for John Tortorella if they could of. Now Tortorella "sucks" after 17 games or whatever.

Some also said it wasn't a good decision to start Crawford tonight either and to start Emery til he loses, but Crawford goes and gets a shutout. Certainly could of lost if Emery was in net.

The problem is fans change their opinions game to game and minute to minute. You can't think like that. Yet they continue to do it every year on this board. "Malkin is washed up", "Kane is past his prime", "Kovalchuk worst contract in NHL", "Brad Richards is washed up(2008-09), Brad Richards is awesome(2009-2012), Brad Richards is washed up(2012-13)"

This board is so 'what have you done for me lately' that it is sometimes unbearable. Doughty is GOAT-2009-2010, Doughty sucks/overrated-(regular season after signing contract/hold out), Doughty is GOAT(after winning Cup), Doughty sucks(first 17 games in season).
They can take Torts for free. If he were on the Hawks he'd make them a grind it out dump and chase team that would have to win boring games 2-1. Hawks thank your lucky stars that your coach knows what hockey is supposed to look like.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:17 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Q is one of the best coaches in the NHL. One of the biggest mistakes post lockout is the Avs letting him go.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:19 AM
sedag

He's behind the wheel of a Ferrari. In an alternate universe John Scott is getting TOI.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:35 AM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
Hawks are going to collapse soon, I think they will finish 6-8 in the conference and take an early playoffs exit.
You are aware that the second place team in our division is 11 points behind us, right?

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Anodyne

He's underrated for some reason. As a Canucks fan I've always been very impressed impressed by Quenneville's ability to rip apart our defense in all three series we've played them. I think he gets more out of that team than a lot of coaches could.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:38 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Future Habs Head coach.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I was one of the most vocal about firing him. I think with a bad start to the season, he would have been fired. Q really did a good job managing the players Bowman got him. Kudos to Bowman too. Not easy to stand pat and trust the guys you have and know can play better.

Q deserves credit for this run. What sucked most was that they fired Haviland instead of Kitchen... That was a big reason why many wanted him gone too. Havi was well liked, Kitchen sucks

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:48 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

His goalies SV% is .933.

That's a starter who was .903 on the season last year and a backup who was .905 on his career. Don't see that holding up.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:00 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
He's a great coach. Never agreed with the decision to fire him in St. Louis.
Agreed.

Coach Q was a heck of a coach in St. Louis.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
His goalies SV% is .933.

That's a starter who was .903 on the season last year and a backup who was .905 on his career. Don't see that holding up.
Not saying that the .933 SV% will hold up until the end of the season, but it is worth pointing out that the biggest reason for that number is team defence. Outside of the one game against Calgary, our goalies have never really won us a game. They have been solid (which is a huge improvement over last year), have definitely given us some timely saves, and, most importantly, haven't been letting in those deflating weak goals that they did last year. But the biggest reason is the Hawks have been one of, if not the best defensive team this year. Unless that suddenly changes, they will continue to have a high SV%.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote