HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 04:24 PM
dma0034

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Chris Brown just tweeted that according to Nix, they have been iin touch with Nelson's agent and will meet again before free agency. They could try to bring him back at a cheaper price as UFA.
I'd like that. Nelson was a pretty good 3rd receiver a couple years ago.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Takeo

Doug Whaley signs extension with Bills today. I'd be very curious to see those terms!

Old
02-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Gotta admit, I don't like this. First move I don't like this offseason. He's not spectacular or anything but is there a problem with keeping around a reliable slot guy?
Agreed.

Last night I was watching NFL Network...that bum Casserly(lol @ the fact the man was ever a GM) gave a mock draft for the Top 10 and he is convinced the Bills will take this Patterson WR out of Tennessee. Man, that would be one big disappointing draft pick.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Agreed.

Last night I was watching NFL Network...that bum Casserly(lol @ the fact the man was ever a GM) gave a mock draft for the Top 10 and he is convinced the Bills will take this Patterson WR out of Tennessee. Man, that would be one big disappointing draft pick.
Adam Schefter and other NFL guys are starting to predict that as well

Old
02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Agreed.

Disagree, WR is a huge need. Other than Stevie we have literally no NFL level WRs. I would also be happy with QB and LB, but not "disappointed" by WR.

Last edited by SoFFacet: 02-24-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Disagree, WR is a huge need. Other than Stevie we have literally no NFL level WRs. I would also be happy with QB and LB, but not "disappointed" by WR.
He isn't saying the Bills don't need WRs, just that picking 8th you could get a LB better than Patterson. Pick the TE or WR in the 2nd round please.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
Adam Schefter and other NFL guys are starting to predict that as well
Those predictions are pretty predictable. With Jones and now Nelson gone, Buffalo needs a WR.

Buyer beware with Patterson. Awesome physical talent with butter hands at times. Plus, only one year of D1 CFB.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
He isn't saying the Bills don't need WRs, just that picking 8th you could get a LB better than Patterson. Pick the TE or WR in the 2nd round please.
How in the world do you know that Jones, Mingo, Jordan, etc will be a better LB than Patterson will be a WR?

I'm in the camp that views the 2012 Bills as having a primarily talent problem on offense and primarily a coaching problem on defense, so I would definitely prefer to invest our early round picks in QB/WR (in either order). Patterson & Wilson or Smith & Austin, etc, look good to me.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Walter Cherepinsky ‏@walterfootball
Alex Smith has been traded to unknown team. Can't wait to see which team the #49ers duped into thinking Smith is actually good

JasonLaCanfora: The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

JasonLaCanfora: so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense

Old
02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Walter Cherepinsky ‏@walterfootball
Alex Smith has been traded to unknown team. Can't wait to see which team the #49ers duped into thinking Smith is actually good

JasonLaCanfora: The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

JasonLaCanfora: so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense
How is it possibly possible to keep something like that a secret?

Old
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
How is it possibly possible to keep something like that a secret?
Alec Smith is a Cheif. Arizona will pick Barkley in the first.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:02 PM
dma0034

Quote:
How in the world do you know that Jones, Mingo, Jordan, etc will be a better LB than Patterson will be a WR?

I'm in the camp that views the 2012 Bills as having a primarily talent problem on offense and primarily a coaching problem on defense, so I would definitely prefer to invest our early round picks in QB/WR (in either order). Patterson & Wilson or Smith & Austin, etc, look good to me.
Okay well I'm not going to even talk about how you know a better draft prospect will be better in the nfl.

And go back to the last 5 or 10 pages to understand why picking the sexy position would be a giant mistake. This team needs a linebacker first and foremost. There are zero quality lb on the Bills right now

Old
02-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Takeo

Well first, no one is "convinced" that the Bills will draft a WR at #8. People are just offering their early mocks which will probably change several times. Obviously the Bills have a huge need at WR. Nix already said they are targeting WR and TE, so this is no secret. I'd be okay with Patterson at #8. However, I think the better value at #8 is defense (Milliner, Ogletree, Jordan, Mingo, Ansah, etc.) because WR is so deep in the 2nd-3rd rounds (Hopkins, Austin, Woods, Dobson, Hunter, Rogers, Williams, Harper, etc.).

Old
02-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
That. They need a WR, yesssss. But WR is a deep position. Theres many WR's coming out. As you can see around the league defense is harder to come by. Plus getting rid of Barnett, Wilson and McGee they obviously need a player or 2(on each side of the ball) but I think you save the deeper position for later and make the best pick at 8. Taking this guy because the jets at #9 are interested isn't a real big enough reason to me. Unless he is some totally can't miss under the radar prospect that nobody was hyping up all NCAAF season long. But at the sametime...WR's are only as good as the QB throwing the ball to them. If it's Fitz or T-Jax it won't matter that much who the WR's are because neither are great passers overall.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:51 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Read an article that the team is either the Chiefs or Bills that are trading for Smith... Jax has come out and said they have no interest in him. I'm Hoping Smith to the Chiefs which allows Geno Smith to make it to #8

Old
02-25-2013, 02:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Read an article that the team is either the Chiefs or Bills that are trading for Smith... Jax has come out and said they have no interest in him. I'm Hoping Smith to the Chiefs which allows Geno Smith to make it to #8
Don't want a qb in the first round. Take two in later rounds hoping one pans out, and wait until a deeper class comes around next draft or the year after that one

Old
02-25-2013, 02:18 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Don't want a qb in the first round. Take two in later rounds hoping one pans out, and wait until a deeper class comes around next draft or the year after that one
We have to take a QB early. Not taking one/ taking 7th round guys is a waste of time. I'd draft Smith at #8 and if he doesn't pan out right away I would draft one in round 1 of 2015. Geno probably will be gone at 8 , but if he isn't can we please draft Smith in round 1, Robert Woods in round 2 and then the best ILb in round 3 ? We get our franchise QB and address our two other biggest weaknesses , Lb and WR.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:21 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
We have to take a QB early. Not taking one/ taking 7th round guys is a waste of time. I'd draft Smith at #8 and if he doesn't pan out right away I would draft one in round 1 of 2015. Geno probably will be gone at 8 , but if he isn't can we please draft Smith in round 1, Robert Woods in round 2 and then the best ILb in round 3 ? We get our franchise QB and address our two other biggest weaknesses , Lb and WR.
When there's no consensus top QB, and there are six guys who have a case for being the best in the class, I'm not chancing the 8th pick on the position. I take a Kaepernick/Wilson shot in the dark type thing and get a surer-fire pick at eight

Old
02-25-2013, 02:23 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
And yeah, we probably should take a QB early - but I'm fine with "early" being round 2,3, or 4

Old
02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Are you assuming Smith is the consensus top QB? I don't think he'll last until #8. Oakland, Cleveland and Arizona are all possibilities. The Jets could also get wacky and trade up. This draft is intriguing because nobody can project the highest value position!

I'm trying to come up with a plausible scenario where I'd be okay taking a QB in this draft. I have zero interest in Barkley, Glennon, Wilson, Nassib, Bray and Jones. If Manuel fell to the 3rd round, I'd take him there, but he's looking like a 2nd round pick (at worst) after his senior bowl and combine performances. I'd most likely target a dual-threat project like Scott in the 4th round or a big arm like Renfree in the 5th. Of course with QBs, you may have to jump early to get your guy.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Are you assuming Smith is the consensus top QB? I don't think he'll last until #8. Oakland, Cleveland and Arizona are all possibilities. The Jets could also get wacky and trade up. This draft is intriguing because nobody can project the highest value position!

I'm trying to come up with a plausible scenario where I'd be okay taking a QB in this draft. I have zero interest in Barkley, Glennon, Wilson, Nassib, Bray and Jones. If Manuel fell to the 3rd round, I'd take him there, but he's looking like a 2nd round pick (at worst) after his senior bowl and combine performances. I'd most likely target a dual-threat project like Scott in the 4th round or a big arm like Renfree in the 5th. Of course with QBs, you may have to jump early to get your guy.
First - I want to say that I have been posting/reading the boards.buffalobills messageboard for years, and while the Bills talk here is understandable less frequent, you guys are so much more civil and reasonable.

2nd - I also doubt smith will be available at 8, but if he is, he is the only one I'm comfortable with taking that high. Manuel is also intriguing as a 2nd round, but I really think he'll go from 15-40 with his combine performance. AKA just out of where the Bills would pick him. Other than those guys I'm basically underwhelmed, but I also have been wrong about Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton, and Joe Flacco, to name a few mid-first/early 2nd guys I didn't care for. Barkley/Nassib/Glennon seem like the next tier, and if the Bills went after them in the 2nd I would try to get behind it.

3rd - WOW at the #'s some of the 1st round DE/OLBs put up today. I don't like Mingo's attitude, but he compares physically to Von Miller. Athletically, Jordan reminds me of Jason Taylor more than anyone. Ansah and Hunt are just freakish for big guys. Can't wait until the agility drills are done, but Hunt compares favorably to Watt on the other measures, although with his height he is more like a Calais Campbell/Michael Johnson.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoxsabresfan View Post
First - I want to say that I have been posting/reading the boards.buffalobills messageboard for years, and while the Bills talk here is understandable less frequent, you guys are so much more civil and reasonable.
I'd just like to point out the awesome irony of quoting a Takeo post and having this as the response.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:28 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I'd just like to point out the awesome irony of quoting a Takeo post and having this as the response.
The ironing is delicious

Old
02-26-2013, 03:21 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoxsabresfan View Post

3rd - WOW at the #'s some of the 1st round DE/OLBs put up today. I don't like Mingo's attitude, but he compares physically to Von Miller. Athletically, Jordan reminds me of Jason Taylor more than anyone. Ansah and Hunt are just freakish for big guys. Can't wait until the agility drills are done, but Hunt compares favorably to Watt on the other measures, although with his height he is more like a Calais Campbell/Michael Johnson.
I know you're doing comparables on numbers alone, but I just can't get behind the concept of projecting who will turn out to be the next X Guy based on how high he jumps standing still, or how many reps he can do on the bench.

The combine, while a good offseason fix for the football fiend, bothers me in the sense of putting way, way, WAY too much stock into outcomes / performances in it.

My football knowledge is admittedly a distant second to that of my hockey knowledge; and your knowledge is clearly superior to mine based on the sheer fact that you can compare anyone to Calais Campbell after a combine performance. Kudos to you, my man. And I mean that in a respectful manner, no facetiousness at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Yeah that made me LOL too. Love you, TKO

Old
02-26-2013, 03:32 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

My top 15 "draft board". As long as the Bills draft one of these guys at #8 Ill be happy. This is by far one of the worst draft classes in NFL history, there are no clear cut top 5 choices. Joeckel would not even be in the top 5 of most draft classes yet he is #1 in this one almost by default.

1. Luke Joeckel
2. Jarvis Jones
3. Barkevious Mingo
4. Star Lotulelei
5. Geno Smith
6. Damontre Moore
7. Bjoern Werner
8. Alec Ogletree
9. Dion Jordan
10. Eric Fisher
11. Ryan Nassib
12. Sharif Floyd