HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Well, color me shocked to write this, but it seems like we might need a pair of wingers for Geno after all.

Not surprised in the least. Putting Sid with Kunitz and Neal is no different than putting Geno with Kunitz and Neal.

Maybe this year Ray Shero will wonder what it might mean for the playoffs if his other star center also had two good wingers.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, color me shocked to write this, but it seems like we might need a pair of wingers for Geno after all.

Not surprised in the least. Putting Sid with Kunitz and Neal is no different than putting Geno with Kunitz and Neal.

Maybe this year Ray Shero will wonder what it might mean for the playoffs if his other star center also had two good wingers.
and as we've discovered, it really doesn't matter who we are getting new wingers for. Put either of them with two good wingers and they make it work. Get another "kunitz" and another "neal" and give Sid and Geno one of each.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:33 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
and as we've discovered, it really doesn't matter who we are getting new wingers for. Put either of them with two good wingers and they make it work. Get another "kunitz" and another "neal" and give Sid and Geno one of each.
The mix and match really doesn't matter, IMO. I have no problem getting Geno two new wingers, as I had no problem getting Sid two new wingers last year. And, I do quite like the prospect of a true checking Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis line and all of the options for a true fourth energy line.

You know, as I keep saying, IF Ray Shero actually committed to giving both Sid and Geno two good wingers each, then ANYTHING is possible for this team. Fears about the defense and Fleury seem less important. Where Ray Shero fails to do that, whatever window dressing he provides is small playoff consolation.

IMO, forget the defense and the role players. Ray Shero should worry first and second about a top six winger and a top six winger.

Old
02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
All rum, my friend.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I would rather have Seto than PMB.
I'd actually like them both. However feel that PMB would cost a lot less to acquire than Seto. If Seto cost a 2nd +, and PMB cost 4th + (say the + was the same in both cases - mid prospect), who would you want? Seto would ideally be like a Neal lite. PMB is a lot more skilled than Seto, and skill is something we're really missing on this team outside of Sid and Geno.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM
vodeni

TG deserved this one

Old
02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

[QUOTE=KIRK;60408453]The mix and match really doesn't matter, IMO. I have no problem getting Geno two new wingers, as I had no problem getting Sid two new wingers last year. And, I do quite like the prospect of a true checking Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis line and all of the options for a true fourth energy line.

You know, as I keep saying, IF Ray Shero actually committed to giving both Sid and Geno two good wingers each, then ANYTHING is possible for this team. Fears about the defense and Fleury seem less important. Where Ray Shero fails to do that, whatever window dressing he provides is small playoff consolation.

IMO, forget the defense and the role players. Ray Shero should worry first and second about a top six winger and a top six winger.[/QUOTE]

yuuuuuuuuup!!!

Old
02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
The mix and match really doesn't matter, IMO. I have no problem getting Geno two new wingers, as I had no problem getting Sid two new wingers last year. And, I do quite like the prospect of a true checking Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis line and all of the options for a true fourth energy line.

IMO, forget the defense and the role players. Ray Shero should worry first and second about a top six winger and a top six winger.
I disagree with this, unless the two wingers we bring in are going to play physical hockey and can play some D. The chances of us bringing in 2 wingers like that are slim/none. Players that come to mind off the bat that may be attainable would be Iginla/Malone/Morrow.

Do we need a top line winger? Yes. Do we also need a better 3rd line winger than TK and a defensive/physical d-man? Most certainly.

Just adding 2 wingers, IMO, isn't making us forget about our other issues.

What I do agree with is that 3rd line. The one thing about getting 2 wingers is our 3rd line becomes better by moving Dupuis down. Just don't know if it's really possible to get 2 guys that would fit our need so well.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Saints11

I liked what I saw tonight from Cooke--Sutter--Dupuis. Eventually if they become the third line, the Pens will be a lot tougher to play against. All of that hinges on either GMRS getting two wings or the continued development of Beau. Honestly, I'm mixed, but, I think Beau should play with Sid and Kuny, then get Geno a banger. Now if we get Iggy that changes.

Last edited by Saints11: 02-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I disagree with this, unless the two wingers we bring in are going to play physical hockey and can play some D. The chances of us bringing in 2 wingers like that are slim/none. Players that come to mind off the bat that may be attainable would be Iginla/Malone/Morrow.

Do we need a top line winger? Yes. Do we also need a better 3rd line winger than TK and a defensive/physical d-man? Most certainly.

What I do agree with is that 3rd line. The one thing about getting 2 wingers is our 3rd line becomes better by moving Dupuis down. Just don't know if it's really possible to get 2 guys that would fit our need so well.
we don't need all stars though. Just two more guys better than Dupuis. Ideally, like you said, with some size.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post

Ray Shero has the assets to get two good wingers. Whether he spends the assets is the real question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we don't need all stars though. Just two more guys better than Dupuis. Ideally, like you said, with some size.
One of them absolutely has to be a guy with some size to do the dirty work. The other one just has to be a more natural scoring line winger than Dupuis.

EDIT: For example, IF KCN stuck together and say Toronto was out of it by the deadline, I'd go after Kulemin and McArthur to play with Geno. That would be more than enough. Neither is a superstar, but I'm looking more at the dynamic of how those two would work with Geno. It will cost a little more than people would like but nothing that would approach breaking the bank.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Ray Shero has the assets to get two good wingers. Whether he spends the assets is the real question.

One of them absolutely has to be a guy with some size to do the dirty work. The other one just has to be a more natural scoring line winger than Dupuis.

EDIT: For example, IF KCN stuck together and say Toronto was out of it by the deadline, I'd go after Kulemin and McArthur to play with Geno. That would be more than enough. Neither is a superstar, but I'm looking more at the dynamic of how those two would work with Geno. It will cost a little more than people would like but nothing that would approach breaking the bank.

One of: Stempniak, Ryder, Stafford, Pominville, Seto, PM Bouchard, MacArthur(??? ugh) etc...

and one of: Kulemin, Stewart, Malone, .. I don't know, give me another name.

But easier if you break it down like that, I think. And yes, that's the perfect-world scenario.

I also wonder if Shero was planning on doing that, but the cap drop will alter his thinking.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
I would think it would take at least Despres/Morrow as a starting point to get those two together. It will definitely cost a lot.

I think one physical, veteran winger is all they really need for the top 6. As others have mentioned, getting another tough defenseman is equally important.

Getting another "Neal" and "Kunitz" would most likely cost one of Niskanen/Despres off the current roster, which weakens the D. I think going the "all offense" route of two top 6 wingers will lead to a lot of 6-5 games, and I'm not sure the Pens would be the team with 6.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Fire Shero*

I can only imagine the numbers Semin would be putting up playing with Sid/Geno since he has 14 points in 17 games playing alongside Jordan Staal.

Ugh. To acquire a similar calibre player is going to cost soooo much.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
volcom

meanwhile corey perry is starting to score goals and anaheim keeps winning

Old
02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Omnomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom View Post
meanwhile corey perry is starting to score goals and anaheim keeps winning
Because Perry was available when?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:38 PM
H382

The GF watched One From the Heart and Against the Odds with me earlier today. Kinda feel a little nostalgic and would like to see Jagr finish her career here.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:38 PM
volcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
Because Perry was available when?
im just saying i wish anaheim wasnt winning, so maybe things would be different with the status of perry

Old
02-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
The GF watched One From the Heart and Against the Odds with me earlier today. Kinda feel a little nostalgic and would like to see Jagr finish her career here.
the Francis Ford Coppola movie staring Tom Waits

Old
02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
I can only imagine the numbers Semin would be putting up playing with Sid/Geno since he has 14 points in 17 games playing alongside Jordan Staal.

Ugh. To acquire a similar calibre player is going to cost soooo much.
I wanted Alex on this team, but everyone here complained about his attitude or something like that, apparently those folks also hung out in the changing room and got first hand quotes and were eye witnesses to it.

The guy is insanely skilled, him on the 1st or 2nd line right now would be amazing. In any case, I would rather keep Beau up and not whine about needing a top 6 forward as much as people tend to around these parts.

When the Penguins aren't giving up a lead and playing sloppy, they work like a well oiled machine, even with a star player like Malkin out. I am 100% fine seeing Sutter and Jeffrey as the 2nd and 3rd line C's with Sid at the top. The wingers don't bother me all that much, other teams have it worse and seem to do much better, so what's the big deal? It's a luxury and the Pens have done without that luxury before when they won a cup.

Beau is starting to look better each game, his defensive game is miles beyond what I thought it was going to be at, I was actually concerned about it and now I feel foolish doing so, his strength, he's not all that bad, he's hesitant but that isn't his game but he's trying and that's all you can ask for from a guy who doesn't play that style. Skill wise, that's more than clear, he seems to try to make stuff happen regardless of his center or linemates, something Tangradi had issues with.

I see Shero doing what he did when Malkin was out the last time, he went out and got Kovalev, a veteran that the team needed, but he didn't work out. This time, I hope he picks someone that would fit the team better. I really like Brenden Morrow, not sure what it would take to get him though, he's the same age as Kunitz and plays a similar game, he could also be the piece this team really needs. He's a Captain, has the leadership and the experience.

With a healthy line-up...

Kunitz, Crosby, Bennett
Morrow, Malkin, Neal
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale, Adams/Kennedy

That's if TK sticks around, which I don't expect him to if the Pens go out and get Morrow. IF Malkin is still out...

Kunitz, Crosby, Neal
Morrow, Sutter, Bennett
Cooke, Jeffrey, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale, Adams

That's not half bad, still.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:53 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Damien Brunner with 2 goals + 2 assists tonight, giving him 10 goals on the season. Imagine him on this team instead of TK, a healthy Malkin and Beau Bennett looking good, and there really isn't much that we would need.

But yeah: I'll just be happy to move Orpik (or failing that, Niskanen) in the summer, after the playoffs, for some young winger/picks and get the best we can for him, and see where guys like Agostino, Archibald and others are over the next 1-2 seasons. If we can add an Iginla or Perry too, that's just the icing on the cake, but not downrigh essential, IMO.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Pretty sure Brunner is playing with Zetterberg who he also played with during the lockout in Europe. That's probably helped him greatly. Not sure the chemistry would be the same here since he likely wouldn't have played with any of our players during the lockout. He does look like a good one though.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:42 AM
invictus

I would rather lose Orpik than Niskanen in a trade. I know Free Candy is sacrosanct and all, but I think his best days are behind him and Niskanen's best days are in front of him.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Name not in the list so far I think....

Steve Ott for Malkin's left wing. We're talking a Max Talbot option on a permanent 8-ball of hate, who will hit, pest, fight, win draws and go to the net. Certainly makes us tougher to play, and he has enough skill to also not mess up Malkin's passes.... at least not terribly so .

Don't know what that would cost out of Buffalo. He is signed two more years at 2,950.000 per and he certainly is not the problem there.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:03 AM
mpp9

Yep. Sid definitely gets the most from Kunitz and Neal. Don't see them getting broken up. Hopefully Ray can work on a deal while Geno's out. I don't think we need two top 6 wingers anymore. Bennett is NHL ready. Been said a million times on here, but we're one Nikolai Kulemin away from having our lineup set.

Kunitz-Sid-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis and Glass-Vitale-Adams will be money for us in the postseason. Find a winger to get Geno going and I like our chances.

Closed Thread