HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 01:01 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Looks like the draft odds will remain the same for this year.

Quote:
The NHL Draft Lottery will not be changing this year.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the league discussed making odds for the 14 non-playoff teams more balanced, but it won't happen this year.

The only difference in this year's draft lottery will remain that the team that wins the lottery will be awarded the first overall pick. In previous years, winning the lottery only allowed a team to move up a maximum of four places in the draft order.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416279

Old
02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Ristolainen isn't playing in the NHL next year.
How much have you seen him play? Can you give us any reports on the type of player he is?

Also I do believe odds are against him coming over and playing next because he currently plays in Europe. He would have to come over and get acclimated with the North American style first probably in the AHL I would think.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I'd like them to trade someone to get another first and draft 2 defenseman, which would really boost our defensive prospects pool. I would have said : if we suck, we trade Kimmo at the deadline for a 1st, but I don't see it happening now that he has been extended. I just don't know who to trade for a 1st, but the idea of getting two great D prospects to develop together sounds exciting. Our pick would have been high, and the acquired pick would have been lower since it would be a playoff team pick, We could have drafted like Ristolainen + Hagg.

Also, if we could buyout Pronger and then hire him as a defensive coach for the prospects, that would be huge. Or hire Kimmo next year.
I don't see any scenario where the Flyers will be able to buy out Pronger's contract, given the depth of his injury. However, if he could serve as a coach under current circumstances (on the cap until it becomes necessary to IR him), I believe this would be a big boost to the status of the Phantoms as a positive environment for defensive prospects. Hopefully, that would be an enticer for any future desirable candidates who are weighing options among different franchises.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
How much have you seen him play? Can you give us any reports on the type of player he is?

Also I do believe odds are against him coming over and playing next because he currently plays in Europe. He would have to come over and get acclimated with the North American style first probably in the AHL I would think.
Being from NA, I only get to see the WJCs, some highlights, and I read up on him. My prediction was more based on history than anything. Finns in general rarely ever make the leap straight to the NHL. They usually develop at a slower pace than say a prospect from Sweden. The last Finnish player to jump straight to the NHL? Olli Jokinen in 1997 for just an 8 game trial. Aki Berg was the last defenseman to do it in 1995.

Sweden has sent Hedman and Larsson straight to the NHL, but Ristolainen is clearly a step behind those guys.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Prongo
Beer

Craig Custance and Corey Pronman on twitter talking about Nichushkin would be in top 2 debate if he was not from Russia. This is a kid to watch for. He has been steadily climbing and now scouts are comparing him to Malkin sometimes. The Flyers most likely won't get a top 3 pick, but if we continue to struggle and are out of it, we could look to get him. He might have the highest potential out of all the forwards. Flyers rarely draft Russians though, so it seems like the team that gets him will be very happy.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Craig Custance and Corey Pronman on twitter talking about Nichushkin would be in top 2 debate if he was not from Russia. This is a kid to watch for. He has been steadily climbing and now scouts are comparing him to Malkin sometimes. The Flyers most likely won't get a top 3 pick, but if we continue to struggle and are out of it, we could look to get him. He might have the highest potential out of all the forwards. Flyers rarely draft Russians though, so it seems like the team that gets him will be very happy.
He will probably be a top 5 pick. If the Flyers are that high, I think they will and should go with a different player. Any of Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Linholm are all superstar level players without any KHL political baggage. It is a totally different story if he drops, though.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
He will probably be a top 5 pick. If the Flyers are that high, I think they will and should go with a different player. Any of Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Linholm are all superstar level players without any KHL political baggage. It is a totally different story if he drops, though.
I haven't really seen any nonsense about him not wanting to play in the NHL either. If we do pick in the top 5, I think we seriously try to move up. Shoot Brian Burke did it for only a 3rd rounder at one point to get #1. I have no clue what it would cost to move say from #4 to #1-2. Hopefully if we do struggle(which I do not want but keep all options open at all times) we can figure it out to get Jones.

Also someone on twitter compared Nurse to Pronger. I am pretty sure it was The Hockey Guys. Didn't read that article lol.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I haven't really seen any nonsense about him not wanting to play in the NHL either.
He signed a 3 year deal with the KHL before the season, so he won't be able to play in the NHL for at least two years. It's not that big of a deal as other prospects won't be hitting the NHL right away, but why have the headache when there are other great players available.

I doubt the Flyers will be picking in the top 5 unless there are some serious injuries. I think Calgary, Columbus, Florida and the Islanders will definitely be worst, with Washington, Buffalo, Colorado, and Winnepeg probably in there too. So unless of a miracle lottery win (do it for the league Gary!), the Flyers would be picking 9 to 14 if they miss the playoffs. If Nich is available there, absolutely pick him, but I think he would be gone. At those picks, I would like any of Nurse, Pulock,or Ristolainen.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:11 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
He signed a 3 year deal with the KHL before the season, so he won't be able to play in the NHL for at least two years. It's not that big of a deal as other prospects won't be hitting the NHL right away, but why have the headache when there are other great players available.

I doubt the Flyers will be picking in the top 5 unless there are some serious injuries. I think Calgary, Columbus, Florida and the Islanders will definitely be worst, with Washington, Buffalo, Colorado, and Winnepeg probably in there too. So unless of a miracle lottery win (do it for the league Gary!), the Flyers would be picking 9 to 14 if they miss the playoffs. If Nich is available there, absolutely pick him, but I think he would be gone. At those picks, I would like any of Nurse, Pulock,or Ristolainen.
I like Pulock and nurse, but I'm not entirely sold on ristolainen. I think he can be good but if we draft there, and Pulock and nurse are both gone, I'd seriously consider picking anthony mantha if he's on the board.

Also, is pulocks name pronounced PULL-OCK or PYEW-LOCK?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I like Pulock and nurse, but I'm not entirely sold on ristolainen. I think he can be good but if we draft there, and Pulock and nurse are both gone, I'd seriously consider picking anthony mantha if he's on the board.

Also, is pulocks name pronounced PULL-OCK or PYEW-LOCK?
Mantha is a good one. I could definitely see the Flyers picking Adam Erne too. The Flyers love picking out of the Q and this is a real good year for it. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick Frederik Gauthier.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

For those who haven't ventured over to the prospects board. Drouin is nasty
Edit: fail embed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7YDx0M51WE

Old
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Fixed it for you:

That's ****ing filthy.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:45 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Grazie if things go downhill and we have a top 5 pick and can't get Jones. Drouin is on my list of players to draft. So ****in sick

Old
02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
poneill27

And he wears 27 too. Wow that kid is a must have!

Old
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
FLYguy3911

And people say he's too small. I'd take him over MacKinnon pretty easily at this point. I know centers are more valuable, but he's been a center his whole life up until last year and it wouldn't be unusual to see him switch back much like Giroux. MacKinnon is bigger and faster and has the better shot, but Drouin's hands and IQ are generational.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:39 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Jones. And if we aren't in a position to draft Jones, sell the farm to get there.
This is pretty much how I feel. I really think Jones NEEDS to be a Flyers, and if we have to sell a 1st and a top prospect or solid player to get there, sign me up scotty.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Fixed it for you:

That's ****ing filthy.
Head was pretty much down the entire time, surprised nobody went for the body..

Old
02-24-2013, 09:11 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
This is pretty much how I feel. I really think Jones NEEDS to be a Flyers, and if we have to sell a 1st and a top prospect or solid player to get there, sign me up scotty.
That depends on how many spots to climb. Would 5th to 1st cost Schenn / Voracek / Couturier? Too much. Simmonds? I'd consider it. I don't see anyone on the farm who would bring the Flyers up a significant number of spots, especially making any difference in the top 5.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Head was pretty much down the entire time, surprised nobody went for the body..
90% of junior players have their head down. It happens, so you gotta teach them not too. Cant hit a guy if he is dodgy.

Dourin is easily the most talented player in this draft.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I don't know. I don't think selling the farm to move up a couple of spots for one player is worth it. The Flyers have several needs that have to be addressed. Giving up a player like Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, etc.... and a draft pick to move up a couple of spots is asset suicide. They just need to stay the course and keep the build going forward. If Jones isn't available, then add a guy like Drouin or trade down, and add more assets. There's so many ways to retool that moving up isn't the only option to be viewed. This year, if the Flyers end up with a top five pick, I seriously hope they consider moving down if it means picking up extra picks a long the way. If there's no chance at Jones and if Drouin is gone by the time they pick. see what they can milk from another franchise. If they move down five spots, but can pick up a top notch winger prospect and add a defenseman like Ristolainen, then that's a huge win for them. That's the way the Flyers need to work the draft. No more giving up assets that they can't afford to give up.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Codith

Drouin is the best player in the draft. Kid has Crosbys drive, and Kanes skill, Giroux's vision

Old
02-25-2013, 03:00 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Drouin is an absolute monster. He and Seth Jones are my top 2.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:26 AM
FadeToBlack

The way things are projecting out right now, Columbus is the worst team in the league by a full 2.5 points, followed by Buffalo, which is ~4 points under Washington and Florida, and then you have just under a 6 point spread until you have the Islanders, who are two points clear of a bit of a pack around 45 points, which contains Colorado, Winnipeg, and Philly. Given the spread between the worst teams in the league right now and the best teams, and the fact we are rapidly approaching the halfway point, I don't think we'll finish any worse than 5th, reasonably speaking. I think the team will continue to play well but not well enough to make the Playoffs and finish somewhere in the 50pt range, right on the bubble. That would be 3 wins more than their current pace, completely reasonable with their "good" play as of late. Even if they take a turn for the worse, they'll really have to fall off to have a shot at Jones or Drouin. It's actually 6 wins under their current pace, and that would put them where Buffalo is now. Given teams like Buff, Was, and FLA may very well be executing firesales at the deadline, I certainly can't see them turning things around and improving their standing much.

So if you guys are going to fantasize about who they are going to pick, I'd stick to fantasizing about players in the 5-15 range, probably on the lower end of that.

Last edited by FadeToBlack: 02-25-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 05:04 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
The way things are projecting out right now, Columbus is the worst team in the league by a full 2.5 points, followed by Buffalo, which is ~4 points under Washington and Florida, and then you have just under a 6 point spread until you have the Islanders, who are two points clear of a bit of a pack around 45 points, which contains Colorado, Winnipeg, and Philly. Given the spread between the worst teams in the league right now and the best teams, and the fact we are rapidly approaching the halfway point, I don't think we'll finish any worse than 5th, reasonably speaking. I think the team will continue to play well but not well enough to make the Playoffs and finish somewhere in the 50pt range, right on the bubble. That would be 3 wins more than their current pace, completely reasonable with their "good" play as of late. Even if they take a turn for the worse, they'll really have to fall off to have a shot at Jones or Drouin. It's actually 6 wins under their current pace, and that would put them where Buffalo is now. Given teams like Buff, Was, and FLA may very well be executing firesales at the deadline, I certainly can't see them turning things around and improving their standing much.

So if you guys are going to fantasize about who they are going to pick, I'd stick to fantasizing about players in the 5-15 range, probably on the lower end of that.
There is always a chance at the lottery.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:20 AM
poneill27

Quote:
There is always a chance at the lottery.
I read somewhere that lottery (14th has a shot at 1st pick) isnt happening this year. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Closed Thread