HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Foligno vs Kassian: No Hodge

Old
02-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleLeino View Post
Kassian/Hodgson is the new Briere/Drury.......

so tired of hearing about it
Yeah, we need to move on...(both sides)

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Takeo

Quote:

That's not an accurate comparison at all. Besides, they haven't won a playoff series since Briere and Drury were dumped by Quigier. So even though you're tired of it, it defines the organization and should be acknowledged continuously.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:25 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

You're welcome to avoid this thread then.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Djp

playing hypothetical------

If they waited till after the season to make this trade....

Would they have gotten Hodgson for Folignio and kept Kassian? This is just based on value--not intangeables with the Folignio legacy.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

Would they have gotten Hodgson for Folignio and kept Kassian? This is just based on value--not intangeables with the Folignio legacy.
nope... he wanted Kassian, and Kassian alone

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Sabres fans should really look at this trade from the prespective that if both players are generally going for the same spot it eventually makes one of them redundant. Like how the Canucks had to choose between Raymond and risking losing Grabner for nothing. They traded Grabner and while he's done well on the island, the trade is now paying dividends and if a cup comes, then it makes it even better.
I thought the trade that involved Grabner is the absolute worst trade Mike Gillis has done? How is it paying dividends?

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F A N View Post
I thought the trade that involved Grabner is the absolute worst trade Mike Gillis has done? How is it paying dividends?
I think he means that Raymond had his 25 goal season after that trade, and is now finally looking like he'll be regaining that form this season (after a horrific back injury).

Old
02-22-2013, 02:45 PM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I think he means that Raymond had his 25 goal season after that trade, and is now finally looking like he'll be regaining that form this season (after a horrific back injury).
Umm... no. Raymond had his 25 goal season BEFORE that trade.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by F A N View Post
Grabner had a history of playing poorly in camps and getting sent down. The two camps before he was traded, he did not play well. If we had kept Grabner and he had another poor camp, we would have had to waive Grabner for nothing.

Grabner and Raymond both played the same spot, providing basically the same thing. We didn't have a roster spot with both on the team. Instead of trading Raymond and chancing that Grabner would have a good camp, we packaged him for Ballard. Grabner then went on to have a bad camp in Florida and was passed over by younger players. He was then waived, after having a bad camp like Vancouver predicted.

This trade wouldn't have been complained about as much had Raymond not been injured the 2 previous years. He's now healthy and playing like he should. Also Ballard had a rough two years with injuries and inconsistent play. This year he's one of our best D men and playing great.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:15 PM
ceky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Grabner had a history of playing poorly in camps and getting sent down. .........
wanted to say this.... i followed grabner a little bit on the VAN and then FLO subforums and i could not believe florida's managment 1) did not know about grabners "great" camps so far and 2) thought he would clear waivers (cheap, young first rounder for one year.... i wasn't so sure about Ellis for ch.... sake).

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
TacitEndorsement

Hey, are Buffalo fans satisfied with Hodgson for Kassian?

I recently heard it was a mistake for the Sabres from a Winnipeg press memeber but every time I look at the score sheet Cody is on it. Admittedly don't watch any of their games so just wondering what the fans' take is on his play.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja View Post

I recently heard it was a mistake for the Sabres from a Winnipeg press memeber but every time I look at the score sheet Cody is on it. Admittedly don't watch any of their games so just wondering what the fans' take is on his play.
Love the trade back then, love it even more now. Cody will be a mainstay top 6 center for the next 10+ years... I think Mike Richards type production is very realistic.

Not to mention, Foligno / Hodgson >> Kassian / Foligno (atleast for the Sabres, we need a young top 6 center much more then a second power forward winger. You can debate Foligno vs Kassian all you want, but at the end of the day both are nearly identical in terms of production/value.) Cody gives us something more valuable being a young two way center who has the potential to score a ppg. Hell, he is nearly doing it this year which is only his second full season.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Love it. Cody's been a fantastic fit next to Vanek. Was very close to getting a G and 1 or 2 As last night in the first alone (Vanek just failed to cash in on a couple prime chances, and Hodgson just barely had a point blank shot with a half empty net deflected wide off a defender's stick). His defensive play is...underwhelming, but offensively the kid has been money, and he does seem to be working hard at improving on his deficiencies. The effort has been noticeable in his skating and faceoff stats. I'm hopeful that the defensive game will come with time too. I'm sure no one would notice his issues there as much if we had a legitimate shutdown C that could take the tough match-ups and he and Ennis weren't just getting thrown into the fire in that regard, but our roster is what it is, and overall he's playing well.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:04 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

the only basis for saying it was a mistake is if you believe Kassian will reach his ceiling and Hodgson won't reach his. So far Hodgson is producing just mine.

To call it a mistake likely means that guy is misinformed

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:43 PM
TacitEndorsement

I shouldn't say he directly called it a mistake. It seemed implied. Something to the effect of, "who's fault is it when Regier trades for Player, Player and Hodgson?" in response to the Ruff firing.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Foligno is, I think will be a better player than Kassian. Foligno's showed it and plays it. I love how that guy brings up bogus arguments that Ennis is way better than Hodge, and such. Still mad at him I see. Whatever. Foligno fits our team better, IMO

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Foligno is, I think will be a better player than Kassian. Foligno's showed it and plays it. I love how that guy brings up bogus arguments that Ennis is way better than Hodge, and such. Still mad at him I see. Whatever. Foligno fits our team better, IMO
Debatable. Each brings a different element to the team, so it'd be like comparing apples and oranges. Either way, I'm happy that both my teams "won" the trade.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

They could have gotten ROR for Kassian. Or better yet, a package with Foligno for ROR and kept Kassian.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
The Washer

Decent article covering Foligno with some interesting Rolston commentary.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...in-slick-form/

“He’s a player that can be a dominant hockey player in this league, and he was when he came up to Buffalo last year,” Rolston said Friday. “In order to do that, he’s got to play a certain way. He hasn’t been able to do that thus far. We have full confidence that he’ll be able to get that game back."

What does "He hasn’t been able to do that thus far." mean?

Injury?
Conditioning? Played in Rochester during the lockout, right?
Effort? We ditched Kassian for this, we now have another???
Previous Coaching? Ruff'd up?

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
They could have gotten ROR for Kassian. Or better yet, a package with Foligno for ROR and kept Kassian.
Doubt it

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post
Decent article covering Foligno with some interesting Rolston commentary.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...in-slick-form/

“He’s a player that can be a dominant hockey player in this league, and he was when he came up to Buffalo last year,” Rolston said Friday. “In order to do that, he’s got to play a certain way. He hasn’t been able to do that thus far. We have full confidence that he’ll be able to get that game back."

What does "He hasn’t been able to do that thus far." mean?

Injury?
Conditioning? Played in Rochester during the lockout, right?
Effort? We ditched Kassian for this, we now have another???
Previous Coaching? Ruff'd up?
I think it means exactly what it sounds like. He hasn't been the same player he was last season.

He is a young player trying to find his way. I don't think you'll ever have to question his drive. Seems like a confidence issue.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:10 AM
notHiro

I was going to make a separate topic, but I might as well ask it here:

What the hell is going on with Marcus Foligno?

Watching him game after game, it seems like he makes 2 bad decisions for every good one. He has arguably the worst hands on the team this year, can't make or take a pass for the life of him, and can't seem to buy a goal. About the only good thing I can say about him is that he has been physical and hasn't taken a lot of penalties, but after the offense flashes he showed last season, I expected a lot more out of him. After Stafford and Myers, he's been the most disappointing Sabre in my eyes.

notHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by notHiro View Post
I was going to make a separate topic, but I might as well ask it here:

What the hell is going on with Marcus Foligno?

Watching him game after game, it seems like he makes 2 bad decisions for every good one. He has arguably the worst hands on the team this year, can't make or take a pass for the life of him, and can't seem to buy a goal. About the only good thing I can say about him is that he has been physical and hasn't taken a lot of penalties, but after the offense flashes he showed last season, I expected a lot more out of him. After Stafford and Myers, he's been the most disappointing Sabre in my eyes.
Isn't going hard to the net, isn't bringing his physical game consistently (it's there some nights, not there other nights), and is trying to dangle around players like he is Pavel Datsyuk out there.

I also think a lot of us had unrealistic expectations for him due to his play last season in a very small sample size..this may be the biggest thing. He was a really big surprise for us down the stretch last season and he did put up good numbers in Rochester during the lockout, but he just isn't skilled enough to be a top 6 player.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Isn't going hard to the net, isn't bringing his physical game consistently (it's there some nights, not there other nights), and is trying to dangle around players like he is Pavel Datsyuk out there.

I also think a lot of us had unrealistic expectations for him due to his play last season in a very small sample size..this may be the biggest thing. He was a really big surprise for us down the stretch last season and he did put up good numbers in Rochester during the lockout, but he just isn't skilled enough to be a top 6 player.
Oh brother.

He is a freakin rookie. Give me a break. Just because he isn't lighting up the score sheet doesn't mean he won't get back to form.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post

I don't think he has been anywhere near as physical as he should be. I see lots of gliding from him, seems a bit slower this year. I think it's a confidence thing, but he's a big boy who could impose his will on players if he wanted, for whatever reason he's not.

I strongly disagree with Paul Hamilton that last nights Hurricanes game was the best of the season for him. That's a big time stretch from a guy I respect.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote