HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Old
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 500
Florida is a long flight but it's in the same time zone, so you get that tradeoff. Higher ratings for FSN and presumably higher ad prices.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 652
Sucks for Chicago to lose our main divisional rival and be the only Original Six team outside of the two eastern conferences, but I can certainly understand how you'd all be stoked at not having to play so many PTZ games anymore.

That being said, the Yotes situation is still up in the air, so I wouldn't get too attached to this proposed alignment. If the Yotes move to Quebec they'll need to boot a team back west, and dollars to donuts the league will put Detroit back in Chicago's conference rather than Columbus.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....d_move_ea.html

The one weird thing about this is the two Florida teams in the Wings' division and the Jackets not being there, but there's really no other way to do it. It'd be geographically optimal to have the Pens and Jackets in the Wings' division and then stick the Florida teams in that other East conference, but they won't split the Pens up from the Flyers etc.
There are a ton of Canadian "snowbirds" who winter in Florida, so I can see why they'd want Florida and Tampa in the same division as Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa.

It will be good to have Toronto/Detroit back in the same division...but I really wish Chicago could come, too.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

So excited for this finally where the Wings belong, playing in the right time zone, plus getting their real #1 rival Leafs back. This is absolutely fantastic, I would be very worried if I was in the Quebec City or Toronto 2 crowd as far as getting a team at some point though.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
That being said, the Yotes situation is still up in the air, so I wouldn't get too attached to this proposed alignment. If the Yotes move to Quebec they'll need to boot a team back west, and dollars to donuts the league will put Detroit back in Chicago's conference rather than Columbus.
This was a rather large statement about Toronto #2 and in particular Quebec City. Ilitch is a pretty powerful guy, they would go kicking and screaming at this point. They have been promised the east for a while, cannot see them going back and really can't because Detroit just made a ton of money today to put in the NHL coffers. I have seen them estimate millions upon millions of dollars lost because of their current situation.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:43 PM
newfy

The wings are really gonig to have to toughen up for that division. The Florida teams arent that tough but Montreal is decent, Buffalo, Boston and Toronto are some of the toughest teams in the league.

Tootoo wont be enough for that division

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
The wings are really gonig to have to toughen up for that division. The Florida teams arent that tough but Montreal is decent, Buffalo, Boston and Toronto are some of the toughest teams in the league.

Adding Sheahan could help. You could always callup McKee and Nedomlel and tell them to have fun...

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:07 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Adding Sheahan could help. You could always callup McKee and Nedomlel and tell them to have fun...
Sheahans a big body and hard to knock off the puck and he makes a team tougher to play against because he doesnt lose corner battles and is sometimes physical but hes not the toughness you need for that division.

Corey Perry could actually help the scoring lines a bit. Hes more of a weasel than anything but he can handle himself when he has to and can ride shotgun with any centerman. Nathan Horton and David Clarkson are the same deal. Getting a guy like that would help a tonne because they can be on the ice a lot instead of a goon who cant play.

I doubt they get any of those guys and add a decent bottom 6er who can hit and fight. I think Holland might finally be seeing what a decent scrapper/energy player can provide a team with Tootoo (May and Downey were washed up). Babcock will want a tougher team and Holland might be more willing now.

Erskine added to the defense would be perfect or they may just go the route of signing a straight up goon for the 13th forwar spot. Colton Orr has surprised me a bit this year for sure, his play is improved and is getting third line time in Toronto. As a 13th forward sure.

Guys like Mcgratton and Scott are available but they are even more one dimensional than Orr and I doubt that happens. Bordeleau from Colorado might be the toughest guy in the league, I'm not a fan of those types of fighters (I prefer Tootoo types) but in that division it might not be bad to have an insurance policy 13th forward

Old
02-24-2013, 09:36 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
I would love this.

The Florida teams, while not most appealing and storied rivals, are in an area with a lot of Red Wings fans. So away games in Florida would essentially be home-away-from-home games.

Plus we join 3 Original 6 teams, making the conference have the 4 most storied franchises in the league. Plus Buffalo is a great hockey city.

The only disadvantage from a local fans perspective, is that it's going to be harder to get tickets to the games. A lot of the other teams fans will be willing to travel to Detroit.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:44 PM
FlashyG

We may need to toughen up, but its also possible that a skilled puck possession team like the Wings would force Toronto, Boston and Buffalo to move more some of those tough guys for better skilled players.

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:16 PM
dtones520

For the record, everyone bringing up east and west, there is no more eastern and western conference. So stop talking about which conference gets the better deal in this.

It will be weird not being matched up with Chicago, but getting Toronto, Montreal and Boston trumps that. As does the travel. Should be interesting. Will be a big bummer if they end up moving us back after a year or two because of realignment.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Beautiful.

I hope this one makes it through; would not miss playing the West one bit. I know San Jose is considered the local flavor around these parts and all that noise, but I feel nothing when we play that team. Just another little brother complex.

...and Chicago? Please. We're stuck with Chicago in every other major sport. Bears, White Sox... far as I'm concerned, we have more than our share of business with that city.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:55 PM
smurfyeah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
Beautiful.

I hope this one makes it through; would not miss playing the West one bit. I know San Jose is considered the local flavor around these parts and all that noise, but I feel nothing when we play that team. Just another little brother complex.

...and Chicago? Please. We're stuck with Chicago in every other major sport. Bears, White Sox... far as I'm concerned, we have more than our share of business with that city.
That's cause it's one of the big metros in the Midwest. Us, Chicago, Indy, Cleveland, Cincy and Pittsburgh are basically the same thing

smurfyeah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Florida is a long flight but it's in the same time zone, so you get that tradeoff. Higher ratings for FSN and presumably higher ad prices.
More media coverage, as well.

Which, whether they admit it or not, many players enjoy as it gives them the best chance at awards and accolades and thus more bargaining power come contract time.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:25 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
We may need to toughen up, but its also possible that a skilled puck possession team like the Wings would force Toronto, Boston and Buffalo to move more some of those tough guys for better skilled players.
I dont think the wings are that skilled of a puck possession team anymore. Theyre shifting away from that, Babcock has said as much because of the dmen they have now.

The wings will definitely need another guy or 2 to play in that division. Boston eats up soft teams in their division, they just bully them all year. Its not working on Buffalo or Toronto anymore though

Old
02-25-2013, 02:16 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Regardless of physicality that Division will be a welcome change. Boston is good, and Tor and MTL may be improving but those three are nowhere near as strong collectively as Chicago, Nashville, or St. Louis and most of them are nowhere near as young.

Also, anyone actually think if this happens, it would help us attract a lot more free agents, especially those who like warm weather and/or from Ontario? There are a LOT of players who prefer to not travel as much, and rule out WC teams because of this.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:08 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
I dont think the wings are that skilled of a puck possession team anymore. Theyre shifting away from that, Babcock has said as much because of the dmen they have now.

The wings will definitely need another guy or 2 to play in that division. Boston eats up soft teams in their division, they just bully them all year. Its not working on Buffalo or Toronto anymore though
They aren't anywhere near as good as they were when they had Lidstrom on the back end, but as long as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are on the team it will be a puck possession team. I also think both of them will outlast Babcock, so I don't expect a philosophy change any time soon.

You are probably right about the Northeast though, those are some rough teams even if their size is often blown out of proportion.

Boston Avg Size - 6'1 200lbs
Detroit Avg Size - 6'1 202lbs

Regardless of style of play I'd prefer them in the east simply so they get more games on free TV here.

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:27 AM
aar000n

I dont like it. First because it puts so many of the originals in one conference. Why not have all the originals in one conference then? Two we have rivalries with the blues and Hawks.

aar000n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:25 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:

I agree. See post #57.

Coincidentally, this is my 57th post.

RockemSockemProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Regardless of physicality that Division will be a welcome change. Boston is good, and Tor and MTL may be improving but those three are nowhere near as strong collectively as Chicago, Nashville, or St. Louis and most of them are nowhere near as young.

Also, anyone actually think if this happens, it would help us attract a lot more free agents, especially those who like warm weather and/or from Ontario? There are a LOT of players who prefer to not travel as much, and rule out WC teams because of this.
One hidden benefit for us is really the Free Agency, if we are at Eastern Conference. Then UFAs are not thinking the travel so much, and we have better probability to acquire Canadian free agents (especially guys from Ontario), who want to be nearer their home country, but not in Canadian city in their Media Circus. Also taxes are lower at US, if I've understood right?

Our position is really really great geographically if that is combined to moving East.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 AM
icKx

Quote:

In the past three seasons we are 13-3 against those collective teams in the Northeast division.

Not too worried.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
In the past three seasons we are 13-3 against those collective teams in the Northeast division.

Not too worried.
playing a team once every 2 or 3 seasons isnt that same as playing them 6 or 7 times a season

the teams in the east are much tougher then those in the west, we will need to add a heavy weight to keep teams more honest espescially with all the rookies in our lineup and/or soon to be over the coming few seasons

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:30 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

I'd get to actually travel to more of their games this way. I am in favor.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:10 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I'd get to actually travel to more of their games this way. I am in favor.
If they go for this next season, I might be able to watch a few more games live since I'm planning to visit Montreal, Toronto and then make a quick stop in Detroit.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
playing a team once every 2 or 3 seasons isnt that same as playing them 6 or 7 times a season

the teams in the east are much tougher then those in the west, we will need to add a heavy weight to keep teams more honest espescially with all the rookies in our lineup and/or soon to be over the coming few seasons
"fighting toughness" is overrated

the West has plenty of teams that are "hockey tough"

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote