HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
In the radio business we have something called a tease. It goes a little like this:

I'm trying to find the audio, but a former-GM-turned-media member was discussing a certain LW for a certain team that happens to play in the city in which I reside, and mentioned that when this team gets healthy - they are currently missing 2 of their top-6 wingers - this LW is likely the odd man out. Now, I believe he was talking about healthy scratch, but healthy scratch is just one step closer to Geno's hip, imo.

And yes, this message is directed almost entirely in KIRK's direction.

As soon as I find the audio, I'll let you know.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
redsono93

Hey guys when is the trade deadline? Thanks!!!

Old
02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Hey guys when is the trade deadline? Thanks!!!
April 3rd

Old
02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Saints11

April 3

Old
02-25-2013, 08:55 AM
cheesedanish87

Do u guys realize Kulemin who had 7 goals last year is on pace for 2 or 3 goals this year. I just dont see him as a upgrade.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Do u guys realize Kulemin who had 7 goals last year is on pace for 2 or 3 goals this year. I just dont see him as a upgrade.
It's based off of how he plays specifically with Malkin.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:01 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
an upgrade over...? Cooke and Boychuk? Yes. Upgrade.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:07 AM
cheesedanish87

The KHL is a different league I dont think their success would translate to the NHL.

Our top 4 wingers right now are neal kunitz dupuis BB I dont think hes an upgrade over any of them. I agree he would be a upgrade on our 3rd line and a guy we could use on our PK but i think most people are talking about him in a top 6 role not a 3rd line role.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
mpp9

Kulemin would be a great acquisition. It'll take all of one shift of Kulemin/Malkin for people to see why their games mesh. It'll allow us to stack Sid's line and run a proper checking unit of Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis. Give Bennett a look with Geno. If it doesn't work, look for an upgrade at the deadline.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:21 AM
cheesedanish87

I like Kulemin as a good 3rd line player just dont see him as a top 6 player and dont think hes worth 2.8 million. If u could get him cheap maybe like a 3rd rd pick then it might be worth the gamble cause u do need an upgrade over TK on the third line if Kulemin dont work out in a top 6 roll. Im def not gonna give up an asset like Matta for a guy who has 8 goals his last 2 years.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
I like Kulemin as a good 3rd line player just dont see him as a top 6 player and dont think hes worth 2.8 million. If u could get him cheap maybe like a 3rd rd pick then it might be worth the gamble cause u do need an upgrade over TK on the third line if Kulemin dont work out in a top 6 roll. Im def not gonna give up an asset like Matta for a guy who has 8 goals his last 2 years.
2.8MM is nothing in today's cap world. He's better than a 3rd line player. Watch him play.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:29 AM
SidTheKid8787

Yea Kulemin is a substantial upgrade over what we have as a top 6 winger. He's just stuck on a not so offensive Leafs team.

I'd welcome him with open arms here and give him a 3-4 year contract.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Shockmaster

Come on guys, come out and say it.....

"Trade all our bad players for all their good players!"

Old
02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
2.8MM is nothing in today's cap world. He's better than a 3rd line player. Watch him play.
Iv seen a good amount of leafs games this year maybe not as many as u have living their. He plays with a pretty good center in grabovski and doesn't score goals. Like i said i would trade for him if u dont have to give up much. Allot people on here look at wingers and make trade proposal what they could be here rather then what they are right now.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Yea Kulemin is a substantial upgrade over what we have as a top 6 winger. He's just stuck on a not so offensive Leafs team.

I'd welcome him with open arms here and give him a 3-4 year contract.
Toronto has scored the 9th most goals and are only 3 goals behind the Blackhawks for 3rd in the league. It's not like he plays for Nashville of Columbus where no one scores.

I don't know how a guy who is putting up putrid numbers will all of a sudden start scoring playing with Geno. I get it, he does other things than score, but he needs some offense to play on that line.

His stats from last year and this year scare the hell out of me

Old
02-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Yep. Sid definitely gets the most from Kunitz and Neal. Don't see them getting broken up. Hopefully Ray can work on a deal while Geno's out. I don't think we need two top 6 wingers anymore. Bennett is NHL ready. Been said a million times on here, but we're one Nikolai Kulemin away from having our lineup set.

Kunitz-Sid-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis and Glass-Vitale-Adams will be money for us in the postseason. Find a winger to get Geno going and I like our chances.
What does the bolded mean? Are you implying that Kunitz-Sid-Neal is superior to Kunitz-Malkin-Neal based on one game? That would be absurd given how well the line with Geno performed last year.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Solid, plain vanilla 2nd line player. Very Responsible.

Wouldn't consider him to be a 1st liner though.

Does the job and would be a very good fit on Malkin's wing. Considering that we want Malkin to sign a longterm deal this summer, getting his BFF would only be in Shero's favor.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Toronto has scored the 9th most goals and are only 3 goals behind the Blackhawks for 3rd in the league. It's not like he plays for Nashville of Columbus where no one scores.

I don't know how a guy who is putting up putrid numbers will all of a sudden start scoring playing with Geno. I get it, he does other things than score, but he needs some offense to play on that line.

His stats from last year and this year scare the hell out of me
This is technically part of "this year." Granted, it is in the KHL, but I feel more confident that those stats will carry-over more on the Penguins than his Toronto stats will.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:58 AM
JTG

I'm not sure how some posters look at a player and merely go, "look at what he's doing!"

It's the same crowd that would say, "Jordan Staal is nothing more than a 3rd line center," opponents to the opinion would then use reasoning as to why Staal could up his production if in a top 6 role, then Staal gets put in the top 6, and has a great statistical year.

It's not hard to see that despite Kulemin's struggles in Toronto how he could have a fairly good shot at turning his game around here and becoming a nice addition to our forward corps. I think the same could be said for Setoguchi, Stewart, and a slew of other players who may be on the move.

When you're a complimentary forward (i.e. a forward who needs a good player to produce - others may call it a leach), that player will never produce if they are not paired with the right linemates. Kulemin really has never had anything like we have here in Toronto. Setoguchi did have a comparable player in San Jose, and that's when he put up a huge year.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:07 AM
SidTheKid8787

In terms of offensive tools, Kulemin has more of them than some of the wingers this board has on the top of their lists as "must get" or "ideal".

Old
02-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
What does the bolded mean? Are you implying that Kunitz-Sid-Neal is superior to Kunitz-Malkin-Neal based on one game? That would be absurd given how well the line with Geno performed last year.
No, I believe he means that putting them with Sid right now maximizes their contributions to the team, as opposed to spreading them around due to the lack of O-depth with Geno out.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:16 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm not sure how some posters look at a player and merely go, "look at what he's doing!"

It's the same crowd that would say, "Jordan Staal is nothing more than a 3rd line center," opponents to the opinion would then use reasoning as to why Staal could up his production if in a top 6 role, then Staal gets put in the top 6, and has a great statistical year.

It's not hard to see that despite Kulemin's struggles in Toronto how he could have a fairly good shot at turning his game around here and becoming a nice addition to our forward corps. I think the same could be said for Setoguchi, Stewart, and a slew of other players who may be on the move.

When you're a complimentary forward (i.e. a forward who needs a good player to produce - others may call it a leach), that player will never produce if they are not paired with the right linemates. Kulemin really has never had anything like we have here in Toronto. Setoguchi did have a comparable player in San Jose, and that's when he put up a huge year.
Ideally, I'd like to see Shero get Kulemin to play on Malkin's left, Seto to play on Sid's right, and Dupuis replacing BearManPig on the 3rd line next to Sutter. I really liked Sutter-Cooke-Dupuis yesterday night.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Flat Stanley

Honestly, I don't see why Toronto would trade him, but Kulemin would be the ideal acquisition. If the Penguins think Bennett has learned enough from the AHL, and he will only improve his game at the NHL level, then we would only need 1 winger.

Bennett is a natural RW, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis is a decent 3rd line.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Kennedy being part of the package for Kulemin to clear salary and a roster spot.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Guins71

It amazes me the amount of hype kulemin gets on this board. He has had one very good year. People assume his game will translate the same with Malkin as it does overseas, however the game is played differently over there. I always worry when a guy fluctuates so much with goal scoring because I think the ability might be there but committment maybe not

Old
02-25-2013, 10:32 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
It amazes me the amount of hype kulemin gets on this board. He has had one very good year. People assume his game will translate the same with Malkin as it does overseas, however the game is played differently over there. I always worry when a guy fluctuates so much with goal scoring because I think the ability might be there but committment maybe not
I don't get this line of thinking.

He's a young guy, only makes 2.8MM, and wouldn't cost as much as Iginla or Stewart, Perry, etc...

Isn't the exact kind of guy we SHOULD be hyping and looking at? Struggling top-6 with good defensive responsibility, physicality, and at least some reason to think he'd turn it around here?

edit: and I'll repeat - I do NOT THINK he will ever regain his 30-goal form. Here, there, anywhere. Not in a box, or with a fox. But I think he'd be a really good compliment to Geno's line. Even if he can't recapture their KHL Chemistry.

Closed Thread