HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Making FNC a hard place to play in?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:02 PM
kcoxsabresfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
FNC is a tough building to play in. Just ask the Sabres.
/thread

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

The place has been a morgue since, I'd say, the 2007-2008 season. I remember a few years ago when we clinched the division against the Rangers, some guy behind me yelled at me to sit down when there was 30 seconds left and I stood to cheer

Really, the team just has to be exciting. We're just not one of those places that is loud all the time, like Edmonton, Montreal, etc.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

It's because 75% of the STH are fair weather fans who are more concerned with reselling all their Leafs,Habs and Penguins tickets to pay for their whole season. Then when they do go they are boring lethargic fans. The crowd/atmosphere was so much better from 05-07 when there weren't 15,500 STH who mainly got them for the money they could make selling tickets. I miss the days of 05-06 where I could walk up and buy tickets .

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:00 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
It's because 75% of the STH are fair weather fans who are more concerned with reselling all their Leafs,Habs and Penguins tickets to pay for their whole season. Then when they do go they are boring lethargic fans. The crowd/atmosphere was so much better from 05-07 when there weren't 15,500 STH who mainly got them for the money they could make selling tickets. I miss the days of 05-06 where I could walk up and buy tickets .
Season ticket holders (as a whole) is the exact opposite of a fair weather fan. Every year thru thick and thin they front thousands of dollars. Not just the next season because the Sabres do well the year before. Sure some sell the majority of their tickets, some go to all home games. I think most are somewhere in between. As usual, big blanket, all encompassing statements make you look foolish ... Again. Sadly you never realize this until you hit submit and others call you out on it. Stop the generalizing bro. It's tired, it's wrong, and it's predictable. To say 75%, is quite outrageous. If anything, it's 10%, and that's being generous. To lump 11,000-12,000 STHers having the same mindset is lame.

As a STH, MayDay hit it exactly right. No if's and's or buts. No assumptions. No "other meaning". No implied hidden bigger point.

Last edited by ZZamboni: 02-24-2013 at 11:06 PM.
ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
FNC is a tough building to play in. Just ask the Sabres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoxsabresfan View Post
/thread
Say what?

That was my first line in post #13, yet nobody cheered, laughed or clapped.

I guess I was too ahead of my time. If I'd only been born 4 hours later I coulda been a star.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 02-24-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:19 PM
AxxVicarious

In this thread, we see a group of fans crapping on the fans who have season tickets, and shell out a ton of money each year. Somehow, all of these season ticket holders are now the scapegoats of other fans who go to less games but ***** about the people who do go to them. What a load of BS.

I go to the games, and always cheer for them to do well, but I also have a 1 year old that I bring to the games quite often. I don't mind standing with him for parts of the game, but if I want to sit down and keep him entertained I will. If I want to cheer for the team I will.

I will not, however, blame the fans for not motivating the players on the ice enough. Should we blame the fans who shell out the money for tickets, or the 20 guys who get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play well? I think they should be the ones that are motivated, and if they're motivated it motivates the fans. There is no catch 22, if a player will only play well when everyone is telling him how good he is, it shows his character.

AxxVicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:29 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Forgot the amazing lights out hockey Winnepeg plays and their atmosphere blows ours out of the water. Intimidation helps. It's an obvious factor. What is the benefit for the Sabres to play at home right now?

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:33 AM
AxxVicarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Forgot the amazing lights out hockey Winnepeg plays and their atmosphere blows ours out of the water. Intimidation helps. It's an obvious factor. What is the benefit for the Sabres to play at home right now?
To play to win for the people in the stands that help pay their salary. Or to play to prove to themselves they don't suck as bad as their record shows. etc...

I just can't accept the sabres not having rowdy enough fans being a reason for their crap play. As I said above, they're professional athletes, and should be able to play at a high level whether we're praising them as some sort of heroes of the city or not. The issue is they don't play well, not that the fans don't enjoy hockey.

The real question is why fans should cheer guys on, who aren't getting the job done. It sounds harsh, and I always cheer when I go, but we all know less people are excited to watch this team as they are a team that has chemistry, effort, and talent. I think talent is the least important of those 3 for fan-backing, but they need to show something, somewhere.

I'd be willing to bet if the Sabres were competitive the place would be fine.

The Jets aren't a model team for winning at the moment of course, but that fan-base was without a team for a while, and are forgiving at the moment. Similar to how we all let things slide when Pegula bought the team. Teams that show they put forth an effort and play hard have good followings for the most part. Boston, NYR, hell, even the LA Kings had a decent atmosphere when they went on their run, and that is in the biggest city known for going to a sporting event just for the status there is.

Winning, and possibly even just trying harder to win, fixes the issues with the FNC.

AxxVicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:13 AM
Imlach a cup

I spen too much time utilizing the beer shelf and flat screens in the bathrooms. If I could get a game feed in the stalls... Hockey Heaven.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:01 AM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Speaking as an outsider to NUFC, I don't know if there is an "Ultra" component in hockey, like there is in England for football. We don't have chants, and we aren't really organized in the way that English fans are. I'm just speculating about what it's like there.
As far as fans on their phones, I always assumed they were checking the game day thread on HFBoards.
We dont really have 'ultras' at NUFC so much as traditional sections of the crowd that are louder than others, and obviously alot of organised chanting. Away games are amazing, whatever the result you stand, sing and be merry for the full game.

I dont think anyone is claiming the crowd being quiet is the reason for the team being poor, but cant it certainly be a factor? If you are a player low on confidence whats gonna help more? Boos and dead quiet, or fans being that little bit louder and cheering that bit harder? Never understood booing your own team, cant see what it achieves apart from making everyone more upset/agitated.

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:37 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

It's like chicken vs egg. But we have to start pushing for them. Not them for us first. We can't win their games. But we can let them know we're there.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:49 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TragicallySabres View Post
I couldn't agree more. The last game I attended was when Toronto was in town. The Leafs fans clearly outcheered our section. My friend and I were honestly the only Sabres fans cheering. About three minutes into the second period, the usher came over to tell me that some of the surrounding fans complained about my rowdy behavior and language. Language? Fine, I totally understand. But rowdy behavior? It's a Sabres vs Leafs game. If you're not there to cheer and support the team, why spend your money? It's incredibly embarrassing to hear how frequently dead silent it is in that arena, although I understand it's difficult to cheer when the team is playing so poorly. But to get outcheered by opposing fans....

This is yet another incident I'm reading of the ushers irritating the fans. You couldn't pay me 100 dollars to go to a game.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:44 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

I agree the team has been dismal just a proposal

Old
02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Clock

I'm squarely on the side that it's the Sabres job to get the crowd excited, not the crowd's job to help them win regardless of the product they put on the ice.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I'm squarely on the side that it's the Sabres job to get the crowd excited, not the crowd's job to help them win regardless of the product they put on the ice.
The "Sabres" doesn't include just the players either. They need better game-day presentation and ways to get the crowd more involved, but not anything too forced.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Say what?

That was my first line in post #13, yet nobody cheered, laughed or clapped.

I guess I was too ahead of my time. If I'd only been born 4 hours later I coulda been a star.
Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder. I didn't notice you posted that. I think it's because if you want to make a one-line zinger, you've gotta keep it to one line.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

The team needs to give fans a reason to cheer. We haven't because:

A.) It's been the same start to the season for the past 3 years

B.) The fans know the character of this team enough to know hoping they will mount a comeback or play hard or out of character will not change

C.) The in game presentation lacks severly. The guy with the drum bangs "Lets Go Buffalo" ONCE and that is in the THIRD period! What good does that do?!

D.) The music stinks and does not get the fans amped up. Why do we continure to come out to the Rolling Stones? Sorry....to get people excited that's not the right song.

E.) Interact with fans more....never thought I'd say this but I miss the Y guy and Weez. Atleast they would interact.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder. I didn't notice you posted that. I think it's because if you want to make a one-line zinger, you've gotta keep it to one line.
Hmm, yeah. Must be the zinger-effect.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:25 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

I think they should do a Lets Go buffalo thing right before they go on the ice. They did it couple years back in a leafs game here and the atmosphere was great the whole game. Sometimes I wish I had control of what was going on

Old
02-25-2013, 01:43 PM
dotcommunism

I'm not interested in calling anyone a liar or anything, but I'm also not going to just take it for granted that people complaining about being chastised by ushers or other fans were being perfectly innocent angels or anything either.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Why should I cheer for this abomination?

During the Isles game I cheered as loud as anyone for every scrum, every hit, every save.

I never booed them myself, but ill be damned if spent 300 dollars on tickets, parking and concessions to cheer them on when they give me no reason to. They deserved to get booed off the ice. I could have spent that money on a car payment. They got enough from me, and they'll get more when they give me a reason to cheer.

****, I'm still planning on spending another few hundred for my girlfriends birthday. Don't tell me it's on the fans.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
I'm not interested in calling anyone a liar or anything, but I'm also not going to just take it for granted that people complaining about being chastised by ushers or other fans were being perfectly innocent angels or anything either.
Usually the only time I see overzealous fans get a dirty look from those around them, is when they start yelling obscenities at one of the teams on the ice---especially if there are kids nearby.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Flamer12

I was amazed at how much of the crowd was cheering for the visiting team when I have been there. This is for all 6 Canadian teams I am sure but I was shocked at how many Pittsburgh fans were there a week ago. When only half the arena is cheering at 1 time, it never seems to loud. Just a thought.

Flamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamer12 View Post
I was amazed at how much of the crowd was cheering for the visiting team when I have been there. This is for all 6 Canadian teams I am sure but I was shocked at how many Pittsburgh fans were there a week ago. When only half the arena is cheering at 1 time, it never seems to loud. Just a thought.
A lot of season ticket holders will sell off games to subsidize their tickets...mainly to Canadian fans.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
A lot of season ticket holders will sell off games to subsidize their tickets...mainly to Canadian fans.
Ah yes, capitalism trumps fandome.

Coincidentally, the first Sabre game I ever went to was against the Leafs. I had bought the tickets online and paid face value for seats in section 106. Boy was I startled when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, EVERYBODY around me for rows and rows broke into a "GO LEAFS GO" chant. It was like being caught behind German lines in 1942.