HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think everything you said in the post is very reasonable, however I disagree with 4 and 5. I think Couturier will be an offensive forward who can take over game. We have seen glimpses of it in Game 2 of the Penguins series last year and that overtime shift this year against Florida I think. He had a 5 game goal steak and has had a ton of chances the last three games. He is on 20. I really think some on this board are judging him for what he looks like now as to what he will look like in 5 years. His skating and strength will improve as will his production.

I think Laughton will be good but Couturier will be way better defensively IMO simple because of his size. Everybody thought Richards was a great defensive center but he look at Crosby and Ovechkins numbers against the Flyers during his time here. There were both over point per game. Now look at Malkins against Couturier. Laughton is a player like Richards I think. I don't even know who to compare Couturier with.

I would love for the Flyers to acquire a #1 defensemen and I believe in good asset management. The problem with obtaining a #1 is that they are never available and if they are, they cost more than they are worth. Phoenix wanted a similar return for Yandle that Nashville wanted for Weber, i.e. Couturier + Schenn +. That's ridiculous for a player that is a better version of Matt Carle. That is ridiculous for Weber even. The only Norris caliber defensemen that I can remember ever traded in his prime was Chris Pronger, and he was traded 4 times. Teams are reluctant to move them. So it is not as easy as saying acquire a #1 defensemen. Someone must be willing to sell. Look at the price of Pronger to Anahiem in his prime, 2 top 10 picks and 2 firsts. I don't think the Flyers could lose that talent and still be competitive. That is Couturier + Schenn + 2 firsts. A deal like that is poor asset management.
You might be right about Laughton vs. Couturier defensively. Size can definitely be a big advantage for a guy. That's why I'd hope the Flyers "try out" Laughton next year in that defensive shutdown role. Give him a chance to prove whether he can handle it or not. And then after a sufficient sample of Laughton in that role, you make a decision.

I also wasn't trying to trash Couturier's offensive ability; I think he's got fantastic offensive ability, I really like him a lot and it would take a ton for me to be willing to trade him; I was just saying that I don't think he has the skating or the world-class shot to really take over a game all by himself. He needs a little bit of help from his linemates; that's generally the case for a guy whose best offensive attribute is his vision.

And I agree 100% with what you said about Yandle. If the price for a legit #1D is Couturier + Schenn ++, then that's a no go. I'm not that desperate. However, I could see some potential #1s being made available. Perhaps one of the Florida defensemen, perhaps one of the PHX defensemen, perhaps one of the Washington defensemen, or perhaps you could deal a hefty package for Seth Jones, provided that the team in position to select him already has a #1 defenseman on their roster.

Obviously these suggestions are all long shots, but if an opportunity comes knocking, I'd be willing to consider trader Couturier.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
You might be right about Laughton vs. Couturier defensively. Size can definitely be a big advantage for a guy. That's why I'd hope the Flyers "try out" Laughton next year in that defensive shutdown role. Give him a chance to prove whether he can handle it or not. And then after a sufficient sample of Laughton in that role, you make a decision.

I also wasn't trying to trash Couturier's offensive ability; I think he's got fantastic offensive ability, I really like him a lot and it would take a ton for me to be willing to trade him; I was just saying that I don't think he has the skating or the world-class shot to really take over a game all by himself. He needs a little bit of help from his linemates; that's generally the case for a guy whose best offensive attribute is his vision.

And I agree 100% with what you said about Yandle. If the price for a legit #1D is Couturier + Schenn ++, then that's a no go. I'm not that desperate. However, I could see some potential #1s being made available. Perhaps one of the Florida defensemen, perhaps one of the PHX defensemen, perhaps one of the Washington defensemen, or perhaps you could deal a hefty package for Seth Jones, provided that the team in position to select him already has a #1 defenseman on their roster.

Obviously these suggestions are all long shots, but if an opportunity comes knocking, I'd be willing to consider trader Couturier.
This is the part in which I trust in our GM. The guy has ballz made out of stone and feels no hesitation to pull the trigger.

He'll try hard, as always.

BackWithaVengeance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I think everyone is tradable depending on the package, including Giroux. I just don't see any defensemen that would be worth trading Couturier being available. Maybe I will be wrong. I think the only way to get great defensemen is before they hit the NHL. Once in the league, they are way too valuable to reasonably obtain. So I think the Flyers should focus of drafting, trading for other teams prospects, and signing undrafted free agents. Those players should not cost Couturier. Until then, they will have to band aid with free agents.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:52 PM

It seems like Briere was out at all points today, including key powerplays and late in the game. Whatever happened to actually earning your ice time?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:13 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
It seems like Briere was out at all points today, including key powerplays and late in the game. Whatever happened to actually earning your ice time?
Lavy Logic !

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:17 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Box Score on NHL.com says he had 19:17 of ice time

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:46 PM
bennysflyers16

If they gonna keep playing Danny, give him Harts and hope he can get going.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
CTAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I don't know the rules under amnesty, but would it not be better for Briere to keep his current contract, vs. being bought out? That is, would it be better for him to accept a trade? Does anyone have a handle on it?
I understand your point about Bryz, his contract and of course stability. He was clearly the team MVP the first month and a half of the season, but recently has been back to ole' Bryz...letting in soft goals and not keeping us in games.
Bryz just doesn't fit in Philly for a few reasons... Flyer fans don't like a guy who is literally borderline insane, has constant up and down performances, doesn't seem to really get mad when he loses....etc. Flyers can find another goalie and I would happily like to see Bryz go bye bye. We will never win a cup with him in net.

CTAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

I posted in another thread Danny to the Pens for one of their D prospects. They have several interesting ones.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:38 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
I posted in another thread Danny to the Pens for one of their D prospects. They have several interesting ones.
I would not trade him to the Penguins. I would never do anything to help them out

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I would not trade him to the Penguins. I would never do anything to help them out
I will say though, I would love to get Morrow off of their hands.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I sure would. Pens fans seem to think his salary is way too high.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
I sure would. Pens fans seem to think his salary is way too high.
If the deal is right, absolutely I would trade him.

IDC how much it helps them if it helps us.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
MrHockey1982

Flyers' Danny Briere not interested in change of address

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...f_address.html

Quote:
Frank Seravalli , Daily News Sports Columnist
POSTED: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 1:25 AM
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock probably has a hard time forgetting Briere's playoff magic from 2005-06, when Briere's Buffalo team knocked off the Flyers in six games. After winning a tough Central Division last season, St. Louis was swept in the second round by Los Angeles.

Most important, for a franchise like St. Louis where finances matter, Briere's $6.5 million cap hit does not match his remaining salary. He is owed $3 million next season and $2 million in 2014-15.

Understandably, Briere doesn't have interest in moving. This isn't a rental situation, where he'd only have to gut it out this season before becoming a free agent. His family is rooted here, including his three hockey-mad sons, Caelan, Carson and Cameron. He earned his right to veto any future deal when signing his 8-year, $52 million pact to join the Flyers in 2007.

The Flyers are interested in Blues blue-liner Kevin Shattenkirk, but it would take a lot more than Briere to pry him. Shattenkirk, 24, is second in team scoring with 15 points in 18 games.

For a 9-11-1 Flyers team seemingly begging for a major shakeup to get in gear, any attempt to move Briere will not be the answer. Despite questions Tuesday wondering if Peter Laviolette's message is still getting through, Holmgren appears married to his coach.

Doesn't look like he's going anywhere unless he really wants to go there.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-27-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Site rules restrict lengths of articles
MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post

Of course he's not going anywhere unless he really wants to. I could've told you that several years ago when he got that full NMC put into his contract.

That whole article was pretty much stating the obvious but the writer is trying to act like it's a revelation and that Briere said he's not interested in a trade. I'm not a fan of Seravalli, he always overstates quotes and construes them to mean something totally different than intended.

In that article, Briere said he doesn't want to comment, that trades aren't his responsibility, and that his heart is in Philly. That's pretty much what every player in the history of the NHL says when asked about a potential move from a team they've been with for a good deal of time. Nowhere does he say he'll veto any trade or that he's not interested in a potentially better situation.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Getting rid of Mr. Clutch is plain stupid unless the return is a phenomenal overpayment. When nobody else is scoring Danny B is.

9/10 of the people crying trade now will be praising the guy once he gets going later in the year.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:48 AM
BringBackStevens

Moving briere makes so much sense it hurts...

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Of course he's not going anywhere unless he really wants to. I could've told you that several years ago when he got that full NMC put into his contract.

That whole article was pretty much stating the obvious but the writer is trying to act like it's a revelation and that Briere said he's not interested in a trade. I'm not a fan of Seravalli, he always overstates quotes and construes them to mean something totally different than intended.

In that article, Briere said he doesn't want to comment, that trades aren't his responsibility, and that his heart is in Philly. That's pretty much what every player in the history of the NHL says when asked about a potential move from a team they've been with for a good deal of time. Nowhere does he say he'll veto any trade or that he's not interested in a potentially better situation.

Forsberg said the exact same things. The only player I know who completely shut down any trade was Matt Sundin. Every other had teams or at least one team they were willing to go to. From all accounts Briere is a classy guy. I think if the Flyers came to him to wave his NMC, he would agree.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post

I think there is a difference between saying he can't see himself going anywhere else, and not agreeing to waive his NMC. I'm not saying he WILL waive it if asked, but I think any player with a NMC or NTC is going to respond that way, because for most of them they don't want to leave, which is one of the reasons they have these clauses.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:58 AM
DickTony

Danny B has been the single clutchest playoff performer post Lockout number 1. If we're not getting a stud defenseman in return, no thanks.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Forsberg said the exact same things. The only player I know who completely shut down any trade was Matt Sundin. Every other had teams or at least one team they were willing to go to. From all accounts Briere is a classy guy. I think if the Flyers came to him to wave his NMC, he would agree.
Kaberle did it too IIRC, a couple times.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

Agreed but I like how it confirmed the interest that Boston and St. Louis have in Briere. I think he'll be gone at some point whether he wants to be gone or not (like Gagne was).

Old
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Getting rid of Mr. Clutch is plain stupid unless the return is a phenomenal overpayment. When nobody else is scoring Danny B is.

9/10 of the people crying trade now will be praising the guy once he gets going later in the year.

I don't want him gone it just makes sense because of the cap.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Blues fan coming in piece who just read the above article.

What would you guys be looking for in return for Briere? I feel like it will probably be more than we want to pay when you consider how long he's been a Flyer and his playoff performance.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Blues fan coming in piece who just read the above article.

What would you guys be looking for in return for Briere? I feel like it will probably be more than we want to pay when you consider how long he's been a Flyer and his playoff performance.
SKirk (crazy, I know).

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote