HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
02-21-2013, 11:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He is getting a 3rd of his shifts in the top 6.

DB explicitly mentioned that he was getting 4-5 shifts a game on the Geno/Neal line in his first two games, where he had 12 and 15 shifts, respectively.
I'm with RRP here. He's getting good regular shifts. He looks NHL ready. Just because Crosby and Geno went instantly to stars doesn't mean every rookie will.

I think they are doing very well with Beau's progression. Next season, he's ready to roll.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Jacob

I've been more impressed with his skating and his defensive work than anything, particularly in the last two games. Mobility wise he has no trouble keeping up with the play and defensively he's been attentive to the details.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Congrats, Beau, on your FIRST goal.

May you have many, many more with the Penguins!

roready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Congrats to him. First goal celebration during intermission.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

Indeed. Congrats to him on the goal, and what Jacob says still really stands out: what I'm most impressed by is that he's keeping up with the speed, his defensive play, his willingness to forecheck and be physical, and his overall hockey sense and vision. This kid will be a special player -- and even if they don't turn out to be quite equal players, I think if BB keeps this trend up, we can stop lamenting anything about not getting Tarasenko a few spots earlier in the draft.

What's also funny about that shift: right before BB scored, he got a very quick and hard pass from Letang that he wasn't ready for and almost flubbed with one hand on the stick. Message learned by Beau: when you're on the ice with Crosby/Geno/Letang, always be ready for anything at all times. I'm sure this will be a very quick lesson learned.

And finally: great kudos to Dan Bylsma for having both the balls and rewards-man-ship (if that's a word) to put BB out there on the 5 on 3 after drawing the initial penalty. It was a gutsy move that paid off, and BB should derive a lot of confidence from that. And Bylsma deserves a lot of credit for the matching and juggling he did tonight in general.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:53 AM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

So according to Martin, Bennett's nickname is Sunshine.

Pittsburgh Penguins*‏@penguinsPaul Martin on Cali native*@BeauBennett78's 1st NHL goal: “It’s awesome for Sunshine, for Beau, so hopefully he keeps it going.”#Pens

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Pittsburgh Penguins*‏@penguinsPaul Martin on Cali native*@BeauBennett78's 1st NHL goal: “It’s awesome for Sunshine, for Beau, so hopefully he keeps it going.”#Pens

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:22 AM
wheelz87
Back to Back!!

wheelz87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:03 AM
vikingGoalie

he seems very humble. maybe a tad awed. you could tell he was getting choked up some on the bench as they anounced his goal. it's quite something to live your dream. this tells a lot about his character. I think we have a gem. we finally have a winger on a elc that is gonna be good.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:47 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

awesome gif.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:49 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Haha. I have a friend that has been calling him that since we drafted him. He picked it up from Remember the Titans where the kid from California on the team was nicknamed Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
I posted my first post before I read this.

Exactly

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Asked my wife, she couldn't decide which was more effeminating: Sunshine or Little Beau Peep. I'd say they got this one right!

Poor guy.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
spcastlemagic

They call him Sunshine because calling him Gorgeous would be busting his balls just a little too much.

I have missed a few periods of Beau's first five games, but what has really impressed me is how he covers up for pinching d-men and the lack of lazy loops in his skating. Great game awareness and attention to detail, very thoughtful in how he skates. The offensive ability is clearly there. If he keeps this up and can get healthier and stronger, he'll be an impact player soon.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:40 AM
regard

Beau Bennet aka Beau Dangles aka Bojangles aka BB Gun aka Sunshine has been playing real well. Was happy to see him get a goal. And I agree that Bylsma is doing well with him. As much as we all like to ***** about how he handles young players he seems to be fine with giving oppurtunities to the ones that have true upside. (Despres and Bennett) Both have shown thier able to assert themselves as well.

Also liking the many nicknames. lol

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
wej20

Hats off to Bylsma for putting him out their on a 5-3 PP, good for his confidence even if he didn't score and while Martin has done a decent job on the PP this year there is no place for his muffin shot on a 5-3 PP.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcastlemagic View Post
but what has really impressed me is how he covers up for pinching d-men
This.

I have noticed the very same thing. I've noticed him doing this very well, which speaks of some hockey IQ to go along with his skill. He has seemed a bit "tentative" or "nervous," offensively, to me, like the offensive game/speed is just a bit much for him yet. Seems like the game hasn't "slowed down" for him, just yet. I'm sure it's an adjustment; he doesn't even have that much AHL experience, let alone NHL. But -- the skill is obvious, as is the IQ...

As soon as things "slow down" for him, I think he's going to be fun to watch.

I'm encouraged...FWIW.

One reason for concern -- I read a blurb in the PG today suggesting his wrist is "still weak" from his surgery...not sure if that should be a cause for concern at this point, or not...

Steve

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

He can spend the summer working out with Gary, Nealer and Manchuk.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Haha. I have a friend that has been calling him that since we drafted him. He picked it up from Remember the Titans where the kid from California on the team was nicknamed Sunshine

I posted my first post before I read this.

Exactly
Cali already plays for the New York Mets. And his birthday is 8/7/87

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:17 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Is Beau Bennett going back to WBS soon?

He has played 8 games. I thought after 9/10, he had to go back down or face the waiver wire if the Pens try to send him back down to WBS.

I say he deserves to stay, but what does everyone think will happen.

roready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post

He has played 8 games. I thought after 9/10, he had to go back down or face the waiver wire if the Pens try to send him back down to WBS.

No. He isn't in Juniors.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post

I think he should be sent back down. He is doing great and all but know he has a huge confidence boost so let him rip apart the A so that he is ready for the next season in the top-6. He prob stays though, sending him just creates nother hole on our lineup and bylsma doesnt seem to like boychuck...

Malkinstheman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:56 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
I think he should be sent back down. He is doing great and all but know he has a huge confidence boost so let him rip apart the A so that he is ready for the next season in the top-6. He prob stays though, sending him just creates nother hole on our lineup and bylsma doesnt seem to like boychuck...
I thoroughly disagree. Bennett has been a huge surprise this season. And I mean surprise in that he goes out there, makes safe & smart plays, doesn't look out of place and doesn't hurt us. I consistently see him covering up for defensemen when they jump in (and seams to be the the defensive conscience on his line when he's on the ice, and whichever linemates he is paired with). He's not an offensive black-hole like Glass or Kennedy, the way the latter has been playing this year.

If Beau can keep this up, I don't see any reason why getting sheltered minutes by playing on our 3rd line will be anything but great for his development. He's got excellent hockey sense and vision, and combined with his surprising reliability, I think he'll continue to gain more and more confidence. On top of that, he's a legitimate option on our 2nd PP unit for the left half-wall. Until such time as he plays his way out of the line-up (which hasn't happened and doesn't look like it's going to soon), he deserves to stay. And the very question of whether he should be sent back down shows that some are not giving him enough credit.

Unless we traded for 2 wingers, Beau stays. Kennedy and Glass are the weak links in our forward line-up right now.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I thoroughly disagree. Bennett has been a huge surprise this season. And I mean surprise in that he goes out there, makes safe & smart plays, doesn't look out of place and doesn't hurt us. I consistently see him covering up for defensemen when they jump in (and seams to be the the defensive conscience on his line when he's on the ice, and whichever linemates he is paired with). He's not an offensive black-hole like Glass or Kennedy, the way the latter has been playing this year.

If Beau can keep this up, I don't see any reason why getting sheltered minutes by playing on our 3rd line will be anything but great for his development. He's got excellent hockey sense and vision, and combined with his surprising reliability, I think he'll continue to gain more and more confidence. On top of that, he's a legitimate option on our 2nd PP unit for the left half-wall. Until such time as he plays his way out of the line-up (which hasn't happened and doesn't look like it's going to soon), he deserves to stay. And the very question of whether he should be sent back down shows that some are not giving him enough credit.

Unless we traded for 2 wingers, Beau stays. Kennedy and Glass are the weak links in our forward line-up right now.
Hell yeah. I will never understand the notion to send somebody back when he's proving he belongs up. I want the Pittsburgh Penguins to ice their best lineup nightly. Beau Bennett is part of that. In fact, from a skill standpoint, we can't really afford to send him back down...even with the return of Malkin.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:49 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272*
Forgot About Sid

I'd be suprised if we are TK benched for Beau, but who knows.

PensBandwagonerNo272* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Something that surprised me about his play from what I saw today was his physicality. I don't mean that in the Orpik 'put a guy on their backside' sort of physicality but just finishing his checks and taking whatever it takes to make a play, on either side of the puck.

Let's be honest, he belongs. He's being developed nicely on the 3rd line and I can only see him getting better as he gains more strength, confidence, and experience. He's a keeper.

Slabber Chops is offline   Reply With Quote