2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I don't know much about Capobianco but that would be quite the stretch would it not at #3? If Ottawa passes on Day I will be blown away.. Don't think it happens. I think Petes need to draft a forward in first round and look for a euro defenceman because a euro can make more of an immediate impact on the back end.

I'd rather Henley then Capobianco.
I don't know if Cappy is even a 1st rd pick.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
That's what I was thinking... Surely they can get a better player in the top 5..

Old
02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
OHL Central disagrees, significantly.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Hmm, interesting. Also I thought he was deemed not OHL eligible or am I mistaking him for someone else?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Hmm, interesting. Also I thought he was deemed not OHL eligible or am I mistaking him for someone else?
You guys where referencing Capobianco, who is eligible and rated extremely high by OHL Central.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:52 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Ottawa is definitely hot after Konecny (as is University of Michigan). In saying that, I think Ottawa is just doing their due diligence with Konecny. If Day is granted ES, I can't see them passing on him - he's too damn good.
I agree with u. Ottawa wont mention there full intention on Day until he is officially granted E.S. status. They will not pass on Sean Day.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
They also had Eric Cornel very high and a few others. My point is OHL central scouting are not always right. Capobianco for me is a fringe first round pick. I know what his strengths are and playing as an AP player, he has showed great potential. He has a very high hockey IQ. I think the physical side of the game, the board work, the battling of players in front of his own net, engaging and pinning guys, he is a fish out of water right now. I think its a MASSIVE mistake to take him top 10. I think #20 to #30 is where Capobianco should be selected. If its earlier, im convinced that team made an error. Thats my opinion of him, Ive seen Capobianco play for many years.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:42 PM
bcspirit

Question from a Saginaw fan are there any big bodied defenseman along the lines of Prophet available in this years draft? I was wondering since it seemed to be a good idea to add another big young D-man to help out with the lack of young prospects on the back end.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcspirit View Post
Question from a Saginaw fan are there any big bodied defenseman along the lines of Prophet available in this years draft? I was wondering since it seemed to be a good idea to add another big young D-man to help out with the lack of young prospects on the back end.
Here are 3 guys who are highly rated and are among the biggest in the 97 group:

Connor Schlichting, although most have him in the #10 -#20 area. Id personally have no issue taking him around #10. He is not very physical, he is smart, effortless skater, excellent hard passer, big shot. Im higher on this kid more than others. I think his upside is off the charts. He is 6-2 185

Cameron Lizzotte is another pretty big Dman that is rated high, that could be an option. I personally think he belongs in the #15 -#25 area. Some rate him inside the top 10. I like his battle level and defensive awareness. His skating has improved greatly since playing with the Copper Cliff Redman last year, but still appears to struggle with his balance as he can lose an edge out of the blue. At the same time, he is explosive enough to skate the puck up the ice. 6-1 175

Troy Henley has a wide range of tools. The thing I like most about Henley is how many different types of games he can play. Finesse or Physical or a mix of both. He looks like he will be a solid stay at home Defenseman with offensive skills as well. Sometimes his rushes are a little out of control but he has improved this area greatly over the course of the year. He seems to play within the Oakville system. Appears at times to be holding back. I think he is the second best defenseman on Oakville behind Spencer. 6-0 200

Old
02-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
They also had Eric Cornel very high and a few others. My point is OHL central scouting are not always right. Capobianco for me is a fringe first round pick. I know what his strengths are and playing as an AP player, he has showed great potential. He has a very high hockey IQ. I think the physical side of the game, the board work, the battling of players in front of his own net, engaging and pinning guys, he is a fish out of water right now. I think its a MASSIVE mistake to take him top 10. I think #20 to #30 is where Capobianco should be selected. If its earlier, im convinced that team made an error. Thats my opinion of him, Ive seen Capobianco play for many years.
I agree. I don't think he is better than DeFarias who is not a 1st rd pick either. They are both very good players. Neither of the 2 are physically able at this point to play as high end OHL players.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
bcspirit

Thanks for the information do you think any of the three would be available with the three 2nds Saginaw has for the draft this year. I ask because I am guessing that Jim will take a forward with the first round pick. Out of all of the draftees from last year Prophet has by far been the best and most consistent and one of the better 16 yo D-men it would be nice to have another guy to grow in the league with him.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
I agree. I don't think he is better than DeFarias who is not a 1st rd pick either. They are both very good players. Neither of the 2 are physically able at this point to play as high end OHL players.
Defarius and Capobianco are ranked in the first 15 picks. Both will be gone in the first round. Sean Day will be getting ES. This will push Clapham or Crawford into round 2. Strome, McKenize, Speers and Konecny are all in the first 10. Maybe Stephens. Goaltenders are a crap shoot right now. The ranked players have all been a disappointment. The door is wide open.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
Defarius and Capobianco are ranked in the first 15 picks. Both will be gone in the first round. Sean Day will be getting ES. This will push Clapham or Crawford into round 2. Strome, McKenize, Speers and Konecny are all in the first 10. Maybe Stephens. Goaltenders are a crap shoot right now. The ranked players have all been a disappointment. The door is wide open.
DeFarius and Cappy are both much better than Clapham. Just can't see them as 1st rounders. Clapham has some tools, but high hockey IQ isn't one of them. He needs time to learn.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:57 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Those are rankings, alot different than how it will actually play out.

Defarius is not going in the first round. Capobianco has a chance of it. Someone is bluffing with those rankings. Those rankings had Hosang at #1 for most of the year, last year, surely someone is missing certain details. Most people had no clue Petti was going #10. Cornel was never at #3 last year. Diperna was rated much higher than where he went early second round. Lindo was drafted higher than his ranking, ditto with Watson.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Cornel was not rated in the top 10. McDavid, Jacobs, MacInnis, McKeown, Fabbri, HoSang, McCann, Middleton, Bennett and Clarke where the top ten last year. Big difference between OHL having you as a top 5 pick and in the 13 hole.

Quote:
Defarius is not going in the first round. Capobianco has a chance of it. Someone is bluffing with those rankings.
I can confirm that De Farias is rated in the top 15.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Cornel was not rated in the top 10. McDavid, Jacobs, MacInnis, McKeown, Fabbri, HoSang, McCann, Middleton, Bennett and Clarke where the top ten last year. Big difference between OHL having you as a top 5 pick and in the 13 hole.

I can confirm that De Farias is rated in the top 15.
That was my point about Cornel. He wasnt ranked at #3, but come draft day thats where he was selected.I corrected what I meant in post #264. Saying Cornel was never at #3. I didnt state myself clearly in the post u quoted.

I can confirm that too. I personally dont agree with that top 15 ranking and I dont think he goes that early when all is said and done.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 02-25-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I can confirm that too. I personally dont agree with that spot and I dont think he goes that early when all is said and done.
Was responding to the 'bluffing' aspect of the post. I don't argue, but like most players, we all have our likes and dislikes with players. One team has Capo 3rd overall, and they have some pretty quality scouts on their staff.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Was responding to the 'bluffing' aspect of the post. I don't argue, but like most players, we all have our likes and dislikes with players. One team has Capo 3rd overall, and they have some pretty quality scouts on their staff.
Ive also seen Capobianco outside the top 20, according to one team. There is a pretty broad spectrum of opinions of him and his ranking. Similiar to that of one or two London Knights Gold players. Interesting none the less.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
scout97

Any thoughts on these players and what range they might be drafted in would be helpful thanks

Cole mayo - elgin Middlesex
Austin gerhart - Barrie
Josh defairis - Toronto
Sean kholer - oakville
Noah Bushnell - sun county

Any info would be helpful. Thanks !

Old
02-25-2013, 04:19 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
Any thoughts on these players and what range they might be drafted in would be helpful thanks

Austin gerhart - Barrie
Josh defairis - Toronto
Sean kholer - oakville

Mayo - round 3 to 5
Gerhart - round 3 to 5
Defarias - first round
Kohler - round 5 to 7
Bushnell - round 4 to 6

Old
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post

Austin gerhart - Barrie
Josh defairis - Toronto
Sean kholer - oakville

Cole mayo - elgin Middlesex 3-4
Austin gerhart - Barrie 2-3
Josh defairis - Toronto pick 15-25
Sean kholer - oakville 6-8
Noah Bushnell - sun county 4-5

Old
02-25-2013, 06:56 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Mayo - round 3 to 5
Gerhart - round 3 to 5
Defarias - first round
Kohler - round 5 to 7
Bushnell - round 4 to 6
Mayo 2nd round at worst
Defarias 2nd round
Gerhart 3rd round
Kohler 4th to 6th round
Bushnell 2nd to 3rd round (Reznick guy)

Capobianco and Defarius have great upside, but wont go in the first round. Only 19 picks in first round, and too many other good forwards in first round.

Alot of good dmen in the draft- day, spencer, henley, vande sompel, white, mayo, lizotte, macarthur.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
That was my point about Cornel. He wasnt ranked at #3, but come draft day thats where he was selected.I corrected what I meant in post #264. Saying Cornel was never at #3. I didnt state myself clearly in the post u quoted.

I can confirm that too. I personally dont agree with that top 15 ranking and I dont think he goes that early when all is said and done.
The selection of the kid doesnt necessarily mean their ranking, but more the preferences of the teams, and games being played by the parents/agents.

Just like Ho Sang last year, and Domi the year before, and Marcantuoni before that, and Ebert, and ...........

Old
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Hank38

Quote:
DeFarius and Cappy are both much better than Clapham. Just can't see them as 1st rounders. Clapham has some tools, but high hockey IQ isn't one of them. He needs time to learn.
Josh Defarias and Kyle Capobianco are highly skilled puck moving D think they will both be gone within the first 19. Austin Claphman might be second D taken from the GTHL

Old
02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
The selection of the kid doesnt necessarily mean their ranking, but more the preferences of the teams, and games being played by the parents/agents.

Just like Ho Sang last year, and Domi the year before, and Marcantuoni before that, and Ebert, and ...........
It's a shame that's how it works...

Money talks. The Petes with consecutive top 3 picks should be in a position too be near the top of the conference next season.. Unfortunately that won't be the case....

Ho-Sang beside Ritchie in their draft year... Wow that would have been deadly.

Closed Thread