HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niklas Hjalmarsson Appreciation Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 11:33 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Niklas Hjalmarsson Appreciation Thread

I'm just watching Hammer's post-game interview and he's talking about blocking shots and sacrificing his body with a smile on his face. I love it.

He's Chicago's most consistent Dman, night-in-night-out and he's improved his all-round game alot this year in terms of his transitional play.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
SouthsideHawkGuy

Thanks for the scare.

At a White Sox forum I post at, people generally post player appreciation threads when a player gets cut or traded. So my first instinct was that Hammer was dealt.

SouthsideHawkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:53 PM
LandofLincoln

6 blocks tonight. Hammer this year to me has moved up to a #2 defenseman last year he was clearly a #4. In Chicago he still is behind Keith & Seab's but outside of Chicago Hjalmarsson is a #2 on many teams.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Uh.. Hjalmarsson is a #2 only on a team that's pretty damn short on defensemen.

Still, he has turned into a high, high quality #3, which is more than I could ask for or expected at the start of this abbreviated season. Loving his play.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:59 PM
sedag

Perfect example of a value salary during the prime portion of a career. Offer sheet like you mean it, Doug.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:04 AM
wsoxfan1214

Misread. Never mind.

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:41 AM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Uh.. Hjalmarsson is a #2 only on a team that's pretty damn short on defensemen.

Still, he has turned into a high, high quality #3, which is more than I could ask for or expected at the start of this abbreviated season. Loving his play.
true

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he's been a plesant surprise

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Godlike13

Im a Hjalmarsson fan. He playing great hockey. The D has been great so far IMO.

Godlike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:24 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'm just watching Hammer's post-game interview and he's talking about blocking shots and sacrificing his body with a smile on his face. I love it.

He's Chicago's most consistent Dman, night-in-night-out and he's improved his all-round game alot this year in terms of his transitional play.

thats nice, but where is the physical play!?

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

being on a team that hasn't lost in regulation, you think he's doing it right.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:24 AM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

I think Doug Wilson did us a favor with that contract, since Nik could have very well been signed to a 1 or 2 year extension and may not even be with the team at this point. But I can't wait to hear about how overpaid he is come next summer when he's due an extension. The one saving grace is the salary cap going down which hopefully means that D-men won't be asking for quite as much as they have been lately. I'm still worried about what Leddy is going to get this year.

w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
I think Doug Wilson did us a favor with that contract, since Nik could have very well been signed to a 1 or 2 year extension and may not even be with the team at this point. But I can't wait to hear about how overpaid he is come next summer when he's due an extension. The one saving grace is the salary cap going down which hopefully means that D-men won't be asking for quite as much as they have been lately. I'm still worried about what Leddy is going to get this year.
He would been signed to a significantly lower contract, for how long who knows. The way he played after the contract would have had him signing another extension even cheaper. His play went down significantly since the contract.

This year he has rebounded nicely.

It would have been much better for the club to not have had Nik offer sheeted.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:46 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Liked him since his WJC days playing for Sweden. Very heavy shot but doesnt use it enough. Nice rebound in his d play since Campbell left.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Hawkaholic

To call him the most consistent Dman on the Hawks is kind of a shot at Keith, becuase I think he has been by far and away our best and most consistent Dman. Not to slight Hammer in anyway, Keith has just been that good.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:23 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Keith and Hammer have swapped spots. Hammer's play has been trending downward slightly since the beginning of the year while Keith has gotten better.

He can do everything needed of a defenseman at a reasonable level, which is why it infuriates me that instead of trying a stretch pass or hitting a forward moving forward 95% of the time he passes around the boards to his partner or chips it off the glass.

I know he's playing a simple and effective game, but once he reaches that level and breaks through that wall, we'll have a bonafide top pairing defenseman.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Oh_so_saad

he doesnt win enough faceoffs

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
He would been signed to a significantly lower contract, for how long who knows. The way he played after the contract would have had him signing another extension even cheaper. His play went down significantly since the contract.

This year he has rebounded nicely.

It would have been much better for the club to not have had Nik offer sheeted.
Sorry, but other than 2010-11, your argument just doesn't hold up. He was slightly less productive in points that year (10 pts), but he had the best +/- of his NHL career (+13). Last year (15 pts, +9) was about identical to the Cup year (17 pts, +9), when he was paired with Brian Campbell. He did not have Campbell as a D partner last year, but he did just as well on the stat sheet.

He also frequently leads the team (and near the top of the league) in blocked shots, which people also seem to conveniently forget. Other than Seabrook, and now also Oduya, I don't see anyone else laying down in front of pucks.

People who **** on Hjalmarsson and think he's not worth his position on this team or his contract are simply wrong. He has consistently won praise from his coaches and the GM. He is one of the reasons why this team has enjoyed its success over the last few years.

I dare anyone to find a better stay at home D man who can skate and will lay down in front of 100 MPH slapshots, and isn't an old washed up boat anchor (Sean O'Donnell, anyone?). You won't find one cheaper.

I want Hjalmarsson re-signed, hopefully for a good long while (4 yrs +), I just don't want him for the exorbitant price that I fear he will ask for. You will not get another #3 D like him in any trade or signing.

w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
Sorry, but other than 2010-11, your argument just doesn't hold up. He was slightly less productive in points that year (10 pts), but he had the best +/- of his NHL career (+13). Last year (15 pts, +9) was about identical to the Cup year (17 pts, +9), when he was paired with Brian Campbell. He did not have Campbell as a D partner last year, but he did just as well on the stat sheet.

The argument absolutely holds water. Hammer's progress has not been linear as many expected. When he came up, the upside projections were big time. He is playing well now, but still has not lived up to the expectations, which is what the contract was based on.

Maybe the expectations were too high?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Cullksinikers

Hammer is close to the guy that got the OS.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Hammer has really stepped his game up. He's an indisputable #3 defenseman right now.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Cullksinikers

The other thing I have noticed is his decision-making on the offensive blue line. It is absolutely phenomenal. He is the best on the team at knowing when it is the right time to pinch and keep the puck in the zone. He doesn't let his partner (usually Oduya) get caught back in any odd-man rushes due to poor choices. The dude is fearless at shot-blocking and is more savvy in the offensive zone. He is easily a respectable number three defenseman.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

who'd have thought that young defenders get better by time and with getting experience

Old
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
moose vasko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Liked him since his WJC days playing for Sweden. Very heavy shot but doesnt use it enough. Nice rebound in his d play since Campbell left.
Accurate too, he hits the target. He plays such a low-risk game (and we have other guys to provide the offense) that that probably doesn't change. That said, his game this year is far better than I would have expected after disappointing the past 2 years. He is playing good defense, and finding guys on the outlet rather than ringing it off the high glass. He has looked very poised back there; like the seasoned pro is becoming.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
who'd have thought that young defenders get better by time and with getting experience
He is not better than he was in the Cup season. That's the point. He was paid as if he would take the next step and hasn't. He's gone sideways at best.