HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Thread - March 2013

Old
02-24-2013, 08:04 PM
achtungbaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Whoops sorry I forgot how facts mess up your tap dance.
I think that you've forgotten how nice myself and others were to you while you were making "dull" statements. Do you remember your first tap dance?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I think that you've forgotten how nice myself and others were to you while you were making "dull" statements. Do you remember your first tap dance?
Why are you quoting the same post two times almost an hour apart?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
What of the JVR Schenn deal? it's only been 22 bloody games, man o man you BB lovers are grasping at straws.
A big bodied, former #2 pick at age 23 coming into his own and showing his potential is worth nothing. Got it.

Had he not gotten into injury trouble and the Flyers being in desperate need of d help, he wouldn't be available.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
A big bodied, former #2 pick at age 23 coming into his own and showing his potential is worth nothing. Got it.

Had he not gotten into injury trouble and the Flyers being in desperate need of d help, he wouldn't be available.
I think your confusing what i think of the deal and what i think of JVR.

As of right now the JVR for Schenn deal is a wash in my books.

A nice shift of assets from a position of depth to one of need.

I don't as of yet list it as a trade that is praise worthy.

So far after 19 games it looks like a fair trade.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I think your confusing what i think of the deal and what i think of JVR.

As of right now the JVR for Schenn deal is a wash in my books.

A nice shift of assets from a position of depth to one of need.

I don't as of yet list it as a trade that is praise worthy.

So far after 19 games it looks like a fair trade.
On the surface, the move seems plain and simple: dealing from a position of strength to address a position of weakness. But he planned it for several years, accumulating d depth to one day trade it for forward strength, and that's exactly what he did. The Leafs' forwards were simply crap when he joined, so was the defense. The Marlies were in shambles. There was simply not much to be optimistic about with the Leafs. I stand back and look at his body of work over the last several years and there's much more good than bad.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:46 AM
hockeywiz542

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle9017094/

Quote:
Former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke has a new hockey-operations gig – working as a part-time scout for the Anaheim Ducks until the end of year – but said on Sunday he is still acting as a senior adviser to the board of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.

Burke clarified his unique dual roles prior to the Ducks’ game against the visiting Colorado Avalanche, noting that his new job with Anaheim doesn’t end his involvement with the Leafs.

“To the extent they need my expertise or opinions on anything, that’s still available to them [the board],” said Burke, who noted that the “league has signed off on this. It’s not an unusual arrangement in some ways. In others, it looks different, but the league’s on board with this and it’s fine.

“It’s not a hockey role with the Leafs. … There’s no hockey-operations role, so there’s no conflict there, where I’d be offering advice to one team and conflicting advice to another team.”

Burke will spend the next week here, familiarizing himself with a Ducks team that he led to the 2007 Stanley Cup. But he reiterated that his No. 1 priority is to find another job as an NHL general manager.

“This position is just part-time and it’s just until the end of the season,” he said. “That’s the goal, to get back in the NHL and run a team.”

Burke was replaced as the Maple Leafs’ GM by Dave Nonis just days before the start of the lockout-shortened season. When asked how the last few weeks have been for him, Burke replied: “Different, a little different. I was stunned by the turn of events, but I meant what I said at my press conference – ownership has the right to have whoever they want running the team. That’s part of our job. They decide they want something else, that’s their prerogative as owners.”

As for taking any satisfaction in how well the Leafs are playing, Burke wouldn’t comment.

“I leave that type of stuff to the media,” he said. “The commentary has been favourable that way and I’m grateful. But I’m not going to engage an opinion on that. It’s Dave Nonis’s team. He deserves the credit for it.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:54 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Ok, how will we twist and turn this in to something negative/positive?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Ok, how will we twist and turn this in to something negative/positive?
Like i posted before BB is just there to get Perry and Getz to sign in TO.

He's gone covert, MIA if you will.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:04 AM
ACC1224
Hate the Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
On the surface, the move seems plain and simple: dealing from a position of strength to address a position of weakness. But he planned it for several years, accumulating d depth to one day trade it for forward strength, and that's exactly what he did. The Leafs' forwards were simply crap when he joined, so was the defense. The Marlies were in shambles. There was simply not much to be optimistic about with the Leafs. I stand back and look at his body of work over the last several years and there's much more good than bad.
If you remain objective it's impossible not to view it this way.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
If you remain objective it's impossible not to view it this way.
John Ferguson Jr.

100-86-27 (.533 points percentage)

Brian Burke

136-144-48 (.488 points percentage)

If Burke was good, then JFJ must have been great in your "objective" opinion.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:51 AM
donkeyy0

Ya that happens when one guy inherits mats sundin and the other Matt stajan.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
Too bad Burke wasn't smart enough to realize how bad the team was before he embarked on his ill fated excellerated retool .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Good thing Burke traded two consecutive first rounders away then!

Because that's what GM's do when they start with "nothing" right?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
donkeyy0

Do we think Hamilton and seguin vs. Kessel during the past 2/3 years would make a drastic difference on the winning % if those specific years?

Personally i doubt it.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Good thing Burke traded two consecutive first rounders away then!

Because that's what GM's do when they start with "nothing" right?

Isn't trading consecutive first rounders is a textbook way to start a long slow rebuild ?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Do we think Hamilton and seguin vs. Kessel during the past 2/3 years would make a drastic difference on the winning % if those specific years?

Personally i doubt it.
We didn't trade Seguin and Hamilton. We traded picks.

If Kessel wasn't on the team we would have had Hall and Nugent Hopkins so there is that to consider as well.

At the very minimum, we gave up Seguin and Hamilton. At the maximum we gave up Hall and Nugent Hopkins. Where we would have actually picked depends I guess on how much, if at all, Kessel helps the Leafs.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
hotpaws

Quote:

Personally i doubt it.
Reilly isn't making a difference right now either so i guess that means we should deal him as well ?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Isn't trading consecutive first rounders is a textbook way to start a long slow rebuild ?
Maybe...not sure.

I should check the extensive history of NHL GM's trading lottery picks away during recent times.

(checking)

Old
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
hotpaws

Quote:

If Kessel wasn't on the team we would have had Hall and Nugent Hopkins.
Sorry Bomber in Burke defender logic the two picks would have been in the mid teens had we not aquired Kessel .

Old
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Al14

IMHO Burke was fired because the Corporate owners did not want a foul mouthed buffoon representing their interest in the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I agree with this! I was at a Policing conference in Vancouver a few years ago where he was a key note speaker at a luncheon. Every second sentence he spoke contained a swear word that offended a lot of the ladies in the audience. I can just imagine what his language was like behind closed doors of the MLSE board room.

The new Corporate heads of MLSE didn't want this him as their front man for the Leafs.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:

If Kessel wasn't on the team we would have had Hall and Nugent Hopkins.
Ok, i disagree, but even if that were true...in the years since the trade, i doubt hall/rnh add sufficient wins to have burkes winning % to be greater than that of jfjs.

Not even a burke fan, but there are qualitative elements to his tenure which make it obvious he was more of a success than jfj.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Reilly isn't making a difference right now either so i guess that means we should deal him as well ?
Not defending the trade. Disagreeing with the point that jfj vs bbs winning % shows burke to be a failure. Drafting seguin/hall/whoever wouldn't have improved that number

Old
02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Ok, i disagree, but even if that were true...in the years since the trade, i doubt hall/rnh add sufficient wins to have burkes winning % to be greater than that of jfjs.

Not even a burke fan, but there are qualitative elements to his tenure which make it obvious he was more of a success than jfj.
Burke said himself he failed each year, and when he was fired too.

He said he should have made the playoffs (like he said every year, and when he was hired) and won more games.

So I'm not sure why Burke fans don't take his admission of failure verbatim. Even in defeat people want to spin this guys OWN words to defend their neverending allegiance to him..a hockey executive.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Not defending the trade. Disagreeing with the point that jfj vs bbs winning % shows burke to be a failure. Drafting seguin/hall/whoever wouldn't have improved that number
Burke had a mandate to make the playoffs and accelerate our retool.

The win/loss column therefore is vitally important, just as it was for JFJ who also traded first round picks for instant success like Burke.

A panel of hockey news scouts just ranked us 25 out of the 30 teams in top 10 prospects, FYI, so it's not like we've been doing well in anything under Burke.

Quite the opposite actually.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Burke said himself he failed each year, and when he was fired too.

He said he should have made the playoffs (like he said every year, and when he was hired) and won more games.

So I'm not sure why Burke fans don't take his admission of failure verbatim. Even in defeat people want to spin this guys OWN words to defend their neverending allegiance to him..a hockey executive.
He should have won more games. I blame the coach mostly, but whatever. The trade was misguided, however, given the hand he was dealt he wasn't going to make the playoffs. It would have been impossible for any gm (save for maybe dale tallon).

His mistake was thinking the team was any good. The team sucked, but the fault of the sucky team falls entirely on jfj and to an extent fletcher.

Kessel trade was a mistake.

However he simply could not have put up the win totals that people hoped/expected of him.