HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Your team's BEST and WORST trades of ALL TIME

Old
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
These threads always pop up from time to time but they're always fun...

Best Trade:
Pavol Demitra for Patty O' Sullivan and 2006 1st Rounder. Biggest trade in franchise history created huge buzz for the fanbase. We didn't get any cups out of it, but we did get a division title which is better than any other trade we've made.

HM: James Sheppard for a 3rd rounder. Don't get me wrong, Shep could still turn into something useful in San Jose, but he was going nowhere fast in Minnesota which made that trade a steal of a deal.

Worst Trade:
The Leddy/Barker trade is obvious, but I'm also going to throw in trading our 2007 2nd rounder to move up from 19th to 16th overall to pick Colton Gillies. The alleged reasoning for that move was that we had just been knocked out of the playoffs by a more physical Anaheim team and needed to get tougher.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
NYVanfan

vCash: 500
naslund
neely

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Best in the World

Trading Dominik Hasek to Detroit was a good and bad thing.

Last edited by Best in the World: 02-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Best in the World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Bruv
to here knows when

In recent memory, the Blues' best trade has easily been getting Shattenkirk and Stewart.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Zonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
The Leafs didn't trade Seguin, Knight, and Hamilton for Kessel - they traded two 1sts and a 2nd. Not a bad deal considering it would have cost us two 1sts and two 2nds if we had offer sheeted this player who has gone on to record over 100 goals in a Leafs uniform since the deal was completed.

Best Trade(s):
The 10 player Gilmour swap
Felix Potvin for Bryan Berard
Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner

Worst Trade(s):
1st round pick (Niedermayer) for Tom Kurvers
Russ Courtnall for John Kordic
Jason Smith for a mid round draft choice
Rask for Raycroft
Agree with all of the above, but would add the Doug Jarvis for Greg Hubick deal as one of the worst.

I have to laugh when I read that some consider the Kessel trade to be one of the worst of all time. Sam Pollock (who won 12 Stanley Cups) always said that the team that got the best player won the trade. Based on performance to date, the Leafs got the best player. I readily agree that any or all of Seguin, Hamilton and Knight could turn out to be better, but there is no way of knowing at this time. Hence, until one of them proves to be better than Kessel, that trade cannot possibly be considered one of the worst of all time for the Leafs.

Zonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Carolina Hurricanes:

Best

Tomas Kaberle for Spacek
Shane Willis for Kevin Weekes
Keith Primeau, Jean-Marc Pelletier for Rod Brind'Amour

Worst

Andrew Ladd for Tuomu Ruutu

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Best
Rod Langway, Doug Jarvis, Craig Laughlin and Brian Engblom for Ryan Walter and Rick Green

Worst
Dino Ciccarelli for Kevin Miller

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:23 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
All these magic beans need to win something before you get to run your mouth.

You know why Boston fans get to walk around like king **** after the Kessel trade? Because they won. Without him. And the kid they got in return helped them win.

If that happens, you'll have a point. Until then, I'd revise your best trade list, since the best moves your franchise has EVER MADE are most memorable for propelling another team to greatness.
The Flyers weren't going to win with Richards and Carter, just like the Kings weren't going to win with Schenn and Simmonds. The trade worked out for both sides. Don't know why that's so hard to understand...

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
You guys really want the Isles to relive their bad memories don't you.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Its been one season dude... Richards and carter were dealt because we werent going to win with them the message was clear. Im glad they won a cup somewhere else but these trades have set our franchise in another direction for the next decade. Youre being completely ignorant but i wouldnt expect anything else if youre an LA fan. I doubt you even knew the kings existed 10 years ago

In regards to the Kessel trade nobody looks at it that way. Its looked at as a win for Boston solely because the players they received and their potential....it was clear they didnt need kessel

You got it right, your Flyers went from contenders to a 10 year rebuild in 2 moves.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
You guys really want the Isles to relive their bad memories don't you.

It could be worse. As a Flames fan, I've lost track of how many future HALL OF FAME players we've at some point traded away in their PRIME.
  1. Brett Hull
  2. Doug Gilmour
  3. Joe Nieuwendyk
  4. Al MacInnis
  5. Mike Vernon
  6. Theo Fleury
  7. Martin St. Louis
Plus:
  1. Jarome Iginla?
  2. Miikka Kiprusoff?

Last edited by flameaholic: 02-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Its been one season dude... Richards and carter were dealt because we werent going to win with them the message was clear. Im glad they won a cup somewhere else but these trades have set our franchise in another direction for the next decade. Youre being completely ignorant but i wouldnt expect anything else if youre an LA fan. I doubt you even knew the kings existed 10 years ago

In regards to the Kessel trade nobody looks at it that way. Its looked at as a win for Boston solely because the players they received and their potential....it was clear they didnt need kessel
Set your franchise in another direction? Before these trades Philly was already a cup contender, and, if the hype on here was to be believed, once they got their first championship, that core was going to go on to dominate for years. At least that is what we heard about Captain Cannon and all the rest.

I have no doubt that Philly got good value with those trades, but its not as if they needed to reboot a franchise that had just been to the finals. They took a young team and got even younger. Yes, the potential is higher, but no, they are still no better than their predecessors in terms of pedigree. And in the cap age, its not as if keeping them all is going to be a piece of cake.

That said, from LA's perspective, its two good youngsters for a piece that won them a cup. Its a no brainer to make that deal, every single time.

The jibes about LA's fans are so childish to try to win an argument, btw. I've been out there, and there are passionate hockey fans, despite it being a huge baseball/bball city.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
The Flyers weren't going to win with Richards and Carter, just like the Kings weren't going to win with Schenn and Simmonds. The trade worked out for both sides. Don't know why that's so hard to understand...
As a kings fan I agree with this. It has taken me some time though as I was a huge Simmonds fan and was big on Schenn. I use to cheer for the Flyers in the East, since the trade I do even more so.
So as a result it is a win-win-win-win.
LA: Got franchises first Stanley Cup
PHI: Got a tonne of depth and different attitude. Plus was able to get what they had hoped was a star tender (this year is playign a lot better with a beat up D infront of him)
CBJ: Recived a 1st round pick in a deep draft, a top line defenseman
ME: Recieved a team to cheer for in the east.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Agree with all of the above, but would add the Doug Jarvis for Greg Hubick deal as one of the worst.

I have to laugh when I read that some consider the Kessel trade to be one of the worst of all time. Sam Pollock (who won 12 Stanley Cups) always said that the team that got the best player won the trade. Based on performance to date, the Leafs got the best player. I readily agree that any or all of Seguin, Hamilton and Knight could turn out to be better, but there is no way of knowing at this time. Hence, until one of them proves to be better than Kessel, that trade cannot possibly be considered one of the worst of all time for the Leafs.
I have to laugh when I read this.
Applying this logic it would be a great deal to trade Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Johnson, Varlamov and our next five 1st round picks for Claude Giroux.
I mean.. Giroux is the best player in the deal as it stands right now.
Obviously a hyperbole but I think it underlines my statement.

Also need to take into account that the Leafs were not contending or going to contend soon from the point when the trade was done. Leafs would look so much better right now (in terms of "rebuilding" and looking forward) if that trade was undone and Kessel could not help them win anything in the meantime as well.

Don't know if it really was/is one of the worst trades all time but it's a clear loss no matter what kind of quotes you use to defend it.

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Petro Points

Pronger for Brewer + Woywitka + Lynch

Gretzky to LA

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post

Flyers clearly won both of those trades. You probably still would of won without Richards and Carter anyway.
It just shows how little you know. The Kings would not have won with Schenn and Simmonds. It doesn't matter who won the trade, anyways. The Kings got what they wanted out of it. It's still a good trade for Philly. But, it's gotta be bittersweet.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:21 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolnowayhaha View Post
You're clearly showing you no little to nothing about hockey, Philly made out like bandits on those deals. Richards and Carter were playing supporting player roles for the big dogs on that roster to win a Stanley Cup. The Kings win that cup with Schenn and Simmonds sorry but it's true lol. Quick was unreal and Kopitar and company played out of their minds. So stop using a cups to evaluate players talent level when they weren't the big reasons why they won.
This might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this site, and that's no easy feat

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
Also need to take into account that the Leafs were not contending or going to contend soon from the point when the trade was done. Leafs would look so much better right now (in terms of "rebuilding" and looking forward) if that trade was undone and Kessel could not help them win anything in the meantime as well.

Don't know if it really was/is one of the worst trades all time but it's a clear loss no matter what kind of quotes you use to defend it.
Interesting. You say that Kessel couldn't help us win anything - yet he has been a huge part of our success (good offensive) even in our bad years and has been a dynamic playmaker throughout his years in Toronto. Even this year without him scoring a ton of goals, he has been excellent for us. Not to mention he is one of the most prolific goal scorers in the last 4 years in the NHL.

Then you say we would have been better not doing that as we "lost" the trade regarding the players that boston picked (ignoring AGAIN AS WE HAVE TO EVERY TIME that it was NOT THESE PLAYERS we traded for kessel, it was unknown draft picks), what has really held Toronto back is not having a #1 goalie and a franchise shut-down defenseman - none of which were part of this trade. Dougie Hamilton MIGHT be this one day, but at times he has been downright awful this year. Seguin is a good player but still not at Kessel's level and who knows where he will go.

The Rask for Raycroft trade is FAR WORSE than Kessel trade AINEFC, as Raycroft was HORRID and Rask has looked awesome. In the Kessel trade we got a FRANCHISE WINGER, who scores 30 goals per season. It amazes me how CLUELESS people are when it comes to this trade and rating it's merit. Would I undo it? Maybe. Did I agree with it at the time? Hell no. Is it the worst in our history or even in the same stratosphere? Not even close, no matter how much you want it to be or however many quotes YOU use.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post

Worst: 1st round picks for veterans at the deadline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
I nominate Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich in exchange for prospects Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi as the worst trade.
Toss up between these two for me.

In 2004, Sharks acquire 1st (Lukas Kaspar) and 5th (Zalewski) rounders from Dallas for 1st (Mark Fistric), 2nd (Raymond Sawada) and 3rd (Alex Edler)

In 2003, Sharks acquire the rights to Mark Messier (who retired after this deal) from NYR for future considerations (2004 4th round pick Ryan Callahan)

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Best:
Minnesota: O'Sullivan and a 1st for Pavol Demitra. That 1st was Trevor Lewis, O'Sullivan signed in Europe.
NYR: McDonagh. Maybe Gretzky.

Worst:
Minnesota: Nick Leddy and Kim Johnsson for Cam Barker
NYR: Not a trade, but letting Messier go to free agency.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post

Best: Joe Thornton for Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm, and Wayne Primeau

Worst: 1st round picks for veterans at the deadline.

The best is indisputable, but I think the worst is the Ehrhoff deal. Gave him away for pretty much nothing, and we could have really used his skillset during those back-to-back WCF appearances (Not to mention we wouldn't have had to trade for guys like Wallin and Huskins).

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:41 PM
TrillMike

For Dallas:
Best:
Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy
or
Mike Ribiero and a 2007 5th for Janne Niinimaa and a 2008 6th. The 5th rounder turned into Jamie Benn. Dallas turned Ribiero into Cody Eakin and a 2nd in 2012.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Best Trade for the Avs has to be the Lindros-Forsberg trade, a trade that, if you trace it back, is STILL having a positive impact for the Avs.

The Roy trade is a close second.

Most recently, the McGinn, Sgarbossa and a 7th for Winnik and Galiardi looks very good so far, with the potential to get even better.

Downie for Quincey looks great too, even with Downie out for the year he's doing less to hurt his team than a healthy Quincey

Worst trades would have to be Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle to the Calgary Flames for Derek Morris, Jeff Shantz and Dean McAmmond

Derek Morris and Keith Ballard to the Phoenix Coyotes for Chris Gratton, Ossi Vaananen and a 2nd round pick in 2005 (Paul Stastny) I put this one here because they didn't HAVE to use that pick on Stastny, they had another, earlier 2nd rounder which they used to select Stoa (lol) and then 2 more second rounders after that, which they used to select Tom Fritsche and Chirs Durand (lolol) and Staz wasn't even ranked that high, they could have used a 3rd on him

A 1st round pick in 2008 (Luca Sbisa) and a 4th round pick in 2009 (David Savard) to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Adam Foote. So much fail. Foote wanted out of Columbus and had them over the barrel. No way was he worth a 1st rounder at that stage of his career.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 50
Edmonton Oilers
best ( easily) McClelland with Jimmy Carson and 5th round pick in 1991 for Adam Graves, Petr Klima, Joe Murphy, and Jeff Sharples.
major part in Edmonton winning the cup.

Worst ( easily) Gretzky to LA.

oddly enough, ..without the worst trade in Oilers history, the best one wouldn't have happened.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
It just shows how little you know. The Kings would not have won with Schenn and Simmonds. It doesn't matter who won the trade, anyways. The Kings got what they wanted out of it. It's still a good trade for Philly. But, it's gotta be bittersweet.

You never know. They might have won with them, but you are right. It did work out for both teams, I just think Philly got a better long term package. Carter is looking great this year though.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote