HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goodbye Weiss

Old
02-23-2013, 09:14 AM
harv3317

vCash: 500
he's lowering his trade value. oh well!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
he's lowering his trade value. oh well!!!!!
He's not going anywhere unless he approves it. And he's also lowering his FA amount. Not mightily, but it's being lowered. GMs salavate over FA years.

02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
RainingRats

Weiss has to be injured. I'm starting to get worried this is the type of injury that he can barely play through but will need surgery in the offseason which will make teams desiring his services hesitant. I could see him even not waiving his nmc so he can be ready to go for next year.

Anyone know the difference between a nmc and a ntc?

edit: NMC is stronger than a ntc in that the player can't be put on waivers. So he has a say in any potential trade.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Papa044

Send a message via AIM to Papa044
odd that no has mentioned maybe him not being nominated as captain as a reason why he looks so lifeless out there. not saying that's why he's been so playing so bad but I think he was expecting captaincy and took it offensive that he wasn't awarded with the C.

Papa044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa044 View Post
odd that no has mentioned maybe him not being nominated as captain as a reason why he looks so lifeless out there. not saying that's why he's been so playing so bad but I think he was expecting captaincy and took it offensive that he wasn't awarded with the C.
I actually don't think he was expecting the captaincy. He's playing hurt, however he's not doing as well as he could be. Very disappointing. This has just been a year where nothing has gone right for Weiss. He had a vision of how this season would play out and nothing has gone how he thought it would.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa044 View Post
If that's the case, he's proving exactly why he wasnt given it.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Gudbranson44

I dont understand this hate towards Weiss now all of the sudden!
So what he has been in a slump all season long? That happens to a lot of players. It seems to me that maybe he's just thinking too much now when he plays, it doesnt look natural as it normally does to me.
I don't care if he slumps one season, he is still a high quality 2-way forward who is important to this team in so many aspects.
I want him re-signed so he can go back to his normal style of play (I know what he has said about re-signing this season, I still think Tallon should push for it). We would be a lot worse without Stephen Weiss

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Laus723
Future Now

What don't you understand? He's been playing here for 10 years, we've seen his style, hussle, and work ethic and none are evident. It's one thing if he was last year's Weiss and was slumping, it looks like he's been mailing it in. That's our issue.

This Weiss? The team's better.

He was benched most of the 3rd, moved off the first line, he's not himself.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Derp Kassian

What would it take to get him? I remember seeing a tweet that panthers mgmt was waiting two weeks to see if they got it together otherwise they were cutting dead weight.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:30 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
What would it take to get him? I remember seeing a tweet that panthers mgmt was waiting two weeks to see if they got it together otherwise they were cutting dead weight.
A first and a prospect, perhaps a player.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Pantherkidd101
Don't Read This

Send a message via AIM to Pantherkidd101
He should've been captain. I believe he'd be playing better and more motivated if he was.

Meanwhile, our current captain is sitting at home watching Jerry Springer and M*A*S*H reruns.

Pantherkidd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherkidd101 View Post
He should've been captain. I believe he'd be playing better and more motivated if he was.
Meanwhile, our current captain is sitting at home watching Jerry Springer and M*A*S*H reruns.

Its not motivation.
So millions he makes isnt motivation enough? What are we in peewees?

its not an injury.
Steve Goldstein‏@goldieonice
@pb1300 he says he is not injured. I have No explanation for the performance

He just sucks this year.

Last edited by adam graves: 02-25-2013 at 11:27 AM.
adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
So the millions he makes isnt motivation enough? What are we in peewees?

Its not motivation, its not an injury. He just sucks this year.
Something HAS to be going on. He has played injured before, and I hardly think that he lost all his skill overnight. Is it really something as simple as bitterness for not being named captain? I just find it weird that this is happening after such a successful season last year. There has to be something more than him just sucking.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:45 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Something HAS to be going on. He has played injured before, and I hardly think that he lost all his skill overnight. Is it really something as simple as bitterness for not being named captain? I just find it weird that this is happening after such a successful season last year. There has to be something more than him just sucking.
Campbell has been just average too. But no one is searching for excuses for him. Hes just off from last yr.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Campbell has been just average too. But no one is searching for excuses for him. Hes just off from last yr.
Soupy is off, but its nothing compared to Weiss. At least Soupy contributes. With Weiss, its like we are playing 4-on-5 at times.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:07 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Is it possible that Weiss just didn't prepare himself for the season during the lockout?

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Is it possible that Weiss just didn't prepare himself for the season during the lockout?
When he wasn't sitting on his duff waiting for a deal to get done, he was playing shinny hockey over a Glacier Ice and Snow Arena in Lighthouse Point.

Great preparation.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:23 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
I can attest he kept his handicap to around scratch so was prepared in that regard.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:24 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Soupy is off, but its nothing compared to Weiss. At least Soupy contributes. With Weiss, its like we are playing 4-on-5 at times.
Agree 100% im just opining that we seem to make excuses for Weiss we dont for others; the heart is speaking louder than the head.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:53 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
I think so.

I don't think that explains why he looks so disinterested on the ice though. On the ice he seems like the high school kid who is daydreaming when the teacher calls on him. No anticipation - slow response to the developing play. It's as though someone sucked out his heart and hockey IQ.

There may be something physical, but I don't think it's ONLY physical. His head is just not in the game.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I think so.

I don't think that explains why he looks so disinterested on the ice though. On the ice he seems like the high school kid who is daydreaming when the teacher calls on him. No anticipation - slow response to the developing play. It's as though someone sucked out his heart and hockey IQ.

There may be something physical, but I don't think it's ONLY physical. His head is just not in the game.
If his conditioning is ****, it's entirely possible he's mentally out of it once he gets tired.

I'm just spitballing here. There's no excuse for a pro athlete to NOT be ready to compete anyway.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Like others have said already (even I have before as well, haha) I'm just ready to move on from Weiss. Let's get younger.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
PanthersRule96

The inherent problem in trading Weiss is a) any trade is contingent on passing a physical, which he won't do if he's injured; and b) if he's not injured, there are no excuses for playing as poorly as he has. I wonder if he was actually training with Gary Roberts like in years past or whether he was just sitting around during the lockout, assuming they'd cancel the season. It's a shame to watch this death spiral from being a serviceable and likable player to this shadow of his former self.

Versteeg is another one that drives me absolutely insane. I enjoyed him a year ago when they were playing so well together, but no wonder he couldn't find a home anywhere else and Chicago/Tor/PHI were willing to give up on him. He's perhaps a decent 2nd/3rd line option if surrounded by the proper mix of guys, but he's just non-existent and such a floater since the beginning of last year.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
I can attest he kept his handicap to around scratch so was prepared in that regard.
If that was followed by a few rounds back at the clubhouse daily, I think we know why he's as awful as he has been. Kyle Wellwood status haha

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Erick

I think part of Soupy's struggles have to do with Garrison leaving. I, along with others, said last year that they just complimented each other really well. Campbell got a lot of assists from Garrison's blasts and, of course, Garrison scored a lot of goals thanks to Campbell's passes. Defensively, Garrison covered up a lot for Campbell when Campbell had to jump up in the play as a PMD. We did not replace Garrison. There were many things he brought to the game that helped us last year, aside from scoring goals. Kuba was supposed to, at least, replace him some, but he hasn't.

Weiss, if not injured, is just playing like crap. No excuses. It's pathetic. 4 points aside, he's not even trying. Playing 19 minutes per night and he has 19 shots in 14 games? Really? Not to mention the -11. +/- can be a deceiving stat, but we all watch the games, and it's clear that Weiss has been the reason for many goals against this year, too. He's just not playing like he cares and it's frustrating.

Have you watched a game this year and said: "wow, Weiss really created that scoring chance for us?!" The guy has just been a non-factor. I don't even remember the goal he scored.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote