HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
This kid is making a serious case for #1 overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeRh...ure=youtu.be&t
Puck on a string, but he's not going to dance pro defensemen like that.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

It's actually incredible how unbelievably talented Drouin is. He's right up there with Jones and MacKinnon for me.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
It's actually incredible how unbelievably talented Drouin is. He's right up there with Jones and MacKinnon for me.
Thats an incredible little display of skill. Also like how one player tries to hit him, and he rolls off him. Really starting to think Drouin belongs in the conversation as first overall. Probably not getting the recognition due to being slightly smaller than average, but these kids still have lots of room to grow.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

With MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, and Drouin, this year's top 4 is absolutely phenomenal. The second tier of talent is right up there this year as well.

This draft is what franchises are made of.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
With MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, and Drouin, this year's top 4 is absolutely phenomenal. The second tier of talent is right up there this year as well.

This draft is what franchises are made of.
Agreed, Top 5, maybe even top 7 could be franchise-type players you build around.
7-15 also looks like you will get a very good player. Would LOVE to see us pick up another first rounder, even if it's later on in the first.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Agreed, Top 5, maybe even top 7 could be franchise-type players you build around.
7-15 also looks like you will get a very good player. Would LOVE to see us pick up another first rounder, even if it's later on in the first.
A late 1st would be a great pick-up. If we're somewhere in the high teens, and again in the mid-twenties, we're looking at two solid players. I would double dip on forwards, or look to a guy like Hagg for defense in those spots, but I feel like someone's going to fall in love with Hagg's two-way potential/size, and take him in the mid-teens.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Interactif

No one would have believed Mackinnon may go 3rd this draft at this time last year, but there's a chance he may this summer.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Federko

Max Domi

Sorry if this should be in some sort of prospects thread. I'm just curious about Max Domi. Does anyone know if Max will be drafted in the first round? what type of player is he? I've heard he's a goal scorer, but again...that's what I've heard? What anyone be excited to be drafting Max? London Knights/Dale Hunter trained correct?

What sort of NHLer is Max projected to be?

Old
02-25-2013, 01:16 PM
ryanwb

He's a pretty good offensive player in junior. Looks like a decent amount more skilled at putting the puck in the net than his father ever was. I would imagine he will be a late 1st rounder, maybe early 2nd, and his ceiling is likely 2nd liner, or a good 3rd liner who chips in with a decent amount of offense here and there.

Edit: Sorry, he's also pretty quick and strong on the puck, but his lack of size will likely be the only thing potentially holding him back during his NHL career.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:17 PM
MakeTheIronSing

either his stock dropped or others really rose in the last few months

at one point he was slotted somewhere around 10th overall in the prospect projections

his production has been consistent to say the least, its probably a physicality aspect that has caused him to drop being a -6' centre in a deep draft considering who else is at that position in the upcoming draft

Old
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

He's a hard working, tenacious and skilled offensive player. Most likely projected to be a two-way 2nd line centre.

If he was 6'2 200lbs he would be in the top 10 easily, but I guess size and strength are a concern to scouts. He also has Type-1 Diabetes, which may present a problem for him in the future.

I would be very happy if Nonis drafted him, he should be right around the Leafs range.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
FV

Type 1 diabetes shouldn't be any issue at all. Didn't hurt Bobby Clark and it's much more manageable now.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:41 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Whoever drafts Max Domi will be getting a steel

190lbs 5'9/5'10. Probably top 5 in puck handling ability in this draft. Kid is lightening fast.

Was supposed to be a top OHL draft pick but declared to all teams that he would not report to camp if he wasnt drafted by the London Knights. He said its either education and college hockey or the London Knights.

most teams passed up on him except for Kingston (Guilmore). He was drafting 1 spot ahead of London and knew that they (london) would do whatever it took to acquire him. The price tag was 3 second round picks. Because of a loophole in the OHL draft if a drafted player doesnt show up to camp, a compensatory pick will be received. So essentially the trade equated to a 1st and three 2nds..

Anyways back on topic. Any player that is this highly sought after in London must have a good overall package. Hes a leader on one of the best teams in junior, has already won a championship and was in the mem cup final. Size is really his only detraction and in his case, 190lbs is pretty large if you ask me.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:41 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
He's a hard working, tenacious and skilled offensive player. Most likely projected to be a two-way 2nd line centre.

If he was 6'2 200lbs he would be in the top 10 easily, but I guess size and strength are a concern to scouts. He also has Type-1 Diabetes, which may present a problem for him in the future.

I would be very happy if Nonis drafted him, he should be right around the Leafs range.
Yeah I really hope he gets drafted.

Nice to see that you became a Kadri fan. I remember you wanted to trade him for Loungo.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
I saw his talent and skill at the wjc and fell in love with him immediately. I haven't seen mch of mackinnon or jones so I am bias, but I would be ecstatic if we got him.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
This kid is making a serious case for #1 overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeRh...ure=youtu.be&t
Those hands. He def has the best hands in the draft.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
He's a pretty good offensive player in junior. Looks like a decent amount more skilled at putting the puck in the net than his father ever was. I would imagine he will be a late 1st rounder, maybe early 2nd, and his ceiling is likely 2nd liner, or a good 3rd liner who chips in with a decent amount of offense here and there.

Edit: Sorry, he's also pretty quick and strong on the puck, but his lack of size will likely be the only thing potentially holding him back during his NHL career.

His ceiling is a 1st liner but his size may (or may not!) prevent him from getting there...similar size and build to his father, if Tie was big enough to be one of the NHL's best enforcers then Max should be big enough to rack up some points. All things considered, I think there's a very strong chance we draft Domi if we're in the 15-25 range.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
No one would have believed Mackinnon may go 3rd this draft at this time last year, but there's a chance he may this summer.
He's been ranked behind 3 different players by now so he could even go 4th, if a team would overlook the KHL factor regarding Nichushkin.

I wonder how much separates Mackinnon and Barkov in scouts eyes?

Old
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
bigdirty

As much as I'd like to have Drouin back in Halifax next season, plays like that show that he's too good for junior and needs a new challenge.

The idea of Drouin and Kadri on the same line...just think about it for a second and picture what those two guys could do to opposing defensemen.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
He's been ranked behind 3 different players by now so he could even go 4th, if a team would overlook the KHL factor regarding Nichushkin.

I wonder how much separates Mackinnon and Barkov in scouts eyes?
I know he is still highly respected by scouts, his speed and skill are attractive traits. The only question is some have made a bigger jump than Mac this year, whereas he has stayed where he is, a little doubt has crept into his upside, but he's still a very good prospect.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
As much as I'd like to have Drouin back in Halifax next season, plays like that show that he's too good for junior and needs a new challenge.

The idea of Drouin and Kadri on the same line...just think about it for a second and picture what those two guys could do to opposing defensemen.
Drool... I really want to get drouin!

Old
02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post

The scary thing with Drouin is that he seems to be improving. He's the first CHL player to put up 2 plus PPG in their draft season since Kane/Gagner did it in their draft years. I believe he may the first player to do it in the Q since Crosby (although I'm not 100 percent sure).

29 points in 33 games as a rookie is pretty good. Not world shattering but it's pretty good for coming from AAA competition to 19 and 20 year olds and the most talented 17/18 year olds. Especially as a 16 year old (on the verge of being 17 but I digress).

But then he improves in the playoffs scoring more goals in 17 games than he did in the previous 33 and putting up 27 points in 17 games. Then by December of this season he has 19 goals and 48 points in 24 games. Improves goal totals again as well. Then in 2013 he puts up 17 goals and 45 points in only 18 games. 2.5 points per game. How often has a player started out at 2 points per game and stuck to it? Grigorenko started the season off at 2 PPG and slightly regressed. Baertschi finished at exactly 2 PPG last season in the WHL. And both did it in the season AFTER they were drafted.

Drouin's actually scoring more since his hot start and he's doing in prior to being drafted. It's insane. What's crazier is that he's scoring at a higher rate since MacKinnon's been gone. He's currently putting up 3 ppg in the games MacKinnon has missed (as a sidenote, the two of them have both played at a higher scoring pace when the other was out with injury. MacKinnon did that earlier in the season when Drouin missed time).

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Drouin go first overall. When people compare him to Giroux, it's not a bad comparison at all. he's that damn talented.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:09 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Whoever drafts Max Domi will be getting a steel

190lbs 5'9/5'10. Probably top 5 in puck handling ability in this draft. Kid is lightening fast.

Was supposed to be a top OHL draft pick but declared to all teams that he would not report to camp if he wasnt drafted by the London Knights. He said its either education and college hockey or the London Knights.

most teams passed up on him except for Kingston (Guilmore). He was drafting 1 spot ahead of London and knew that they (london) would do whatever it took to acquire him. The price tag was 3 second round picks. Because of a loophole in the OHL draft if a drafted player doesnt show up to camp, a compensatory pick will be received. So essentially the trade equated to a 1st and three 2nds..

Anyways back on topic. Any player that is this highly sought after in London must have a good overall package. Hes a leader on one of the best teams in junior, has already won a championship and was in the mem cup final. Size is really his only detraction and in his case, 190lbs is pretty large if you ask me.
He plays a tenacious game and that should help overcome his size. He is nowhere near 5'9" and 190lbs. If he was -- we wouldn't be talking about his size.

His dad used to be listed at 5'10" but was more like 5'7".. That's about where Max is.

Still a very talented player and skater -- should go top 15.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He plays a tenacious game and that should help overcome his size. He is nowhere near 5'9" and 190lbs. If he was -- we wouldn't be talking about his size.

His dad used to be listed at 5'10" but was more like 5'7".. That's about where Max is.

Still a very talented player and skater -- should go top 15.
Nearly every hockey players' size is exaggerated. He's as tall as any other player listed at 5'9".

Old
02-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Glad Drouin is finally get the love